Saxenda does not work

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    I'm enjoying that both my post about the drug doing nothing but suppress appetite, pointing out they have had the test that show perfect health aside from weight with the flowchart was so conveniently ignored.

buy a food scale. Weigh all solids and semi-solids. Log everything. Double check the entries you are using are correct. Never use a generic entry if at all possible. Do this for 6-8 weeks. Come back and tell us how it went.

I eat sugar and processed carbs and fats. I lose weight when I stick to my deficit. I even eat my exercise calories. Shock horror. Because the balance of energy works for everyone if applied correctly.

All posts were conveniently ignored.

But, I absolutely agree with everything you said.

+1
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Just as a follow up because I've been unwell and out of forum loop so catching up; OP commented on an old Saxenda thread saying they'd been using it for 4 days. 4 days. And complaining about it not working after 4 DAYS. When it takes a couple of weeks at least to taper up to full dose. Now I'm not on board with appetite suppressing pharmaceuticals as a general rule but to complain of not losing or not seeing the purported effects of a medication that takes time to titrate to full dose on after 4 days is patently absurd.

When I look at these old threads, (I looked at the one you talked about) I always see many, many posts by people who posted only once or very few times and have not been active on MFP for a long time. To me, this is likely because they are attempting to lose weight in a way, that did not bring them long term success.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Just as a follow up because I've been unwell and out of forum loop so catching up; OP commented on an old Saxenda thread saying they'd been using it for 4 days. 4 days. And complaining about it not working after 4 DAYS. When it takes a couple of weeks at least to taper up to full dose. Now I'm not on board with appetite suppressing pharmaceuticals as a general rule but to complain of not losing or not seeing the purported effects of a medication that takes time to titrate to full dose on after 4 days is patently absurd.

Wow! Yes, because of natural weight fluctuations which happen regularly, it takes more than 4 days to decide if something is working or not. With or without the drug, it will still take some time. Have some patience and realistic expectations. That will help immensely.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member

I saw that one this morning, too, but opted not to jump in and comment on the old, long running Saxenda thread. OP, patience is your best friend in this process. You didn't gain it in a day, and you won't lose it in a day. The food scale is a great suggestion. Also, are you double checking everything you enter into the MFP database against nutrition labels? The database can be notoriously incorrect since it is user maintained.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    But what you are doing, is it working?
    Nope! It all changed after my back to back gallbladder and neck surgeries. That amount of downtime caused 40 lbs weight gain. I've been very strict. Saxenda only came into my life because I'm officially obese now. I used to be a personal trainer and Pilates instructor. I'm back to to my normal level of training and nutrition and I've not budged since April of 2016.

The only thing I haven't tried yet is a 1200 cal a day diet, heavy HIIT cardio six times a week, heavy weight training six hours a week. So training like a competitive fitness and figure athlete, no I've not tried that but I shouldn't have to. Those people train like that for 9 percent fat body levels and professional competitions.

I know you said you've had all of your hormones checked but I just thought I'd share that after several major surgeries I gained 40lbs. I couldn't figure out why because prior to the surgeries I had actually lost 20# just sitting on my caboose trying to heal. My doctor rechecked my thyroid after the weight gain and discovered that somewhere between my weight loss and the surgeries my thyroid completely tanked. He said it was the stress of the injuries but who knows? If you feel like you're doing everything you're suppose to, you might consider getting a FULL thyroid panel done again to make sure the same thing didn't happen to you.
  • dan_jones
    dan_jones Posts: 54 Member
    I have been taking it for a few months and I have had only a little help from it. I did think it worked when I first started using it, but after a week or so, it didn't seem to have as good an effect. I am not using a high dose and that is probably part of it, but I really don't like the idea of having to inject myself with anything and the warnings that came with the drug can scare you. I have had much better success with phentermine and I still use it and find it works pretty well for me. Hope this helps. The cost factor is another consideration. I need a good silver trade in the futures market to help carry me thru the prescription aisle. $$ Expensive Stuff $$
  • manchester4
    manchester4 Posts: 14 Member
    edited December 2016
    dan_jones wrote: »
    I have been taking it for a few months and I have had only a little help from it. I did think it worked when I first started using it, but after a week or so, it didn't seem to have as good an effect. I am not using a high dose and that is probably part of it, but I really don't like the idea of having to inject myself with anything and the warnings that came with the drug can scare you. I have had much better success with phentermine and I still use it and find it works pretty well for me. Hope this helps. The cost factor is another consideration. I need a good silver trade in the futures market to help carry me thru the prescription aisle. $$ Expensive Stuff $$

Yes! This helps! Thank you for being one of the few who gave me a straight answer!

• manchester4
    edited December 2016
    You know how someone asks you something very elementary, and you have been doing your job for 20 years so it's kind of insulting? I count calories, protein, sugars, carbs and fiber and sodium. Drink my water. I'm not looking for an easy fix. I'm looking for a medical fix at this point because my body fat level just reached obesity and I've always been in shape. Not a thyroid issue. Not a hormonal issue. Blood work is fine. I mix up my cardio. I do strength training. I'm never on my couch. Am I supposed to live off 1200 cals a day and stay active? No. I go between 1500-1800 and no sugar ever. I'm not looking for nutrition advice. I'm looking to see if anyone had taken this particular drug and experienced no hunger reduction, no side effects at all.

Have you ever thought to ask those who've actually been successful at this whole thing for their input? Seems like that would be a good place to start. But sounds like you're not interested in advice or help so yeah, good luck :p

I would love to hear what you are doing that is different from calorie deficit, no sugar, no processed carbs, portion control, no alcohol, high fiber, lots of water, 5 workouts per week including cardio and strength training, plus walking my dogs 30 mins a day every week. Plus weekend hikes. Please tell me.
    (Did you see the flowchart posted above?)

Counting calories accurately and consistently. Weighing everything on an electronic food scale. Checking every database entry, or making my own. Using the recipe builder the same way. Eating food I like. Hitting calorie goal every day. No cheating, no forgetting, no giving up.

I have never paid any particular attention to sugar, processed carbs (what's that), fiber, water, (I don't drink alcohol), I don't exercise except walking every day.

Well evidently this thread didn't and up being about me. Please whatever you do, pay attention to sugar. Studies have shown it's similar to a cocaine addiction. It wrecks havoc on your metabolism and can lead to insulin resistance and diabetes. It breaks down the collagen in your skin, leading to early aging. Sugar is one of the most horrible "natural" substances there are. It's in everything. You have to read every label.

Processed carbs are carbs that are no longer in their true form and have been changed in a factory somewhere. Boxed rice, boxed mash potatoes, most breads. Cake. Cookies. Have a real potato, real rice.

Also as a female, add strength training. This and weights or machines or your own body weight. This will rev up your resting metabolic rate so you burn more cals. It will give you a tighter look. It will help prevent osteoporosis. You won't look like a body builder, you will look leaner.

It's ironic that you're telling others what to do, when you're failing at your own weight loss goals. It looks like you're new to MFP, so maybe you don't know this-but there's a lot of people here who are very successful with their weight, health and fitness goals. It sounds like you're not at a place where you're ready to actually figure out what's going on, and that's ok. But, its rude to start a post asking for help, and when people take the time to offer you solid advice you respond with bro-science nonsense. It's becoming pretty clear why you're not succeeding at your weight loss goals.

Except Vintage, the clinical advice was 2 days. Thank you for calling my physician l absurd. I'm sure she won't care.
  • manchester4
    Thank you for the straight answers re my question and the comments about getting the thyroid check after surgeries. That makes sense, considering the high dose of pain medications and anesthesia could have played a factor. As far as the other comments, I should not have sank so low as to respond if I owned a food scale or not. I've been in the health profession for 20 years. I should have just chosen a more scientific forum.
  • manchester4
    edited December 2016
    PS to all the people who were foolish enough to think I was only trying to lose weight for 4 days. Read it again. Then again. I said Saxenda side effects and weight loss. I've been actively trying for 7 months and the scale and my fat mass has not budged at all. As far as not responding earlier, I have a JOB