Space

Options

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I don't think I explained that very well at all. If you were able to make any sense of it, my hat's off to you.

Did you take advantage of a different kind of space last night Eeyore?

The snow must have frozen my brain, 'cause I'm not following?
  • MrStabbems
    MrStabbems Posts: 3,110 Member
    Options
    also most pictures of the MW will be significantly processed (stacking etc). atleast I'm my experience. A lot of photographers also play with hues
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Right, the pictures are generally enhanced and I'm sure @NorthCascades can shed more light on how since I don't know much about photography. But when you look with the naked eye you can't pick up the dim light like a camera can. At least, it looks dim because it's so far away.

You'll never see a really good photo of the Milky Way that hasn't been edited. Probably more than a little. Mostly taken with a specialty lens, too, because there's only so much you can do in the computer.

I don't like the term enhanced at all, even though it's completely accurate.

The way people see is amazing, and it's pretty *kitten* relevant to us. But it's not "the" truth, it's "a" truth. Mantis shrimp can see colors we can't, because their brains process visual information differently from ours.

Really good cameras are designed to make dull photos. They're flat, and not especially colorful, because that's how they preserve the most data. Making them more contrasty means throwing data away, bringing darker values closer to 0 and brighter ones closer to 1, fewer values repeated more times. Exactly how much is a matter of taste, so best to just record everything. All of the same kind of stuff happens when film gets developed.

This is "Moonrise Over Hernandez, New Mexico" by Ansel Adams. He worked on the negative for ten years before he released a print!

ansel-adams-moonrise-hernandez-new-mexico-1344352981_b.jpg

People have this idea that photos are an objective record, or sometimes they're doctored. I think it's more fair to say it's a different way of processing visual information.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    I thought that's what you had to have meant, because whenever I'm confused I assume someone is talking dirty to me. But I wasn't sure.

I did!! :smile:
  • Luke_I_am_your_spotter
    Options
    I captured this image of the November "Supermoon."

q5p3xre1xsmi.jpg
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Also, I have a question about "seeing" the Milky Way galaxy. Since that's our galaxy, how does one see it? The way I understand it, it would be like seeing earth. Since we're on planet earth, it wouldn't look like a sphere from here, right?

The galaxy is way less like a sphere than the Earth, it's closer to a dinner plate, but bulging in the middle. At least that's the current understanding. But it doesn't look like a circle from inside, it looks more like a thick line across the sky.

milky-way-you-are-here.jpg

I've posted this before but it's probably useful right now. This is the Milky Way from Slate Peak in the North Cascades. The camera is more sensitive than the eye, so it's a little bit dimmer and it's less colorful too, when you're standing there.

24836980445_5deb5f991b_o_d.jpg

This is a really gorgeous picture, but I can't quite make out the dinner plate? Could you give me an idea what portion of it is captured in your picture? And thank you, you've been so patient with your explanations, and my questions are really elementary.
  • Luke_I_am_your_spotter
    Options
    I captured this image of the November "Supermoon."

q5p3xre1xsmi.jpg

Beautiful pic!

Thank you!
  • Luke_I_am_your_spotter
    Options
    I took this pic of the Orion Nebula last winter.

9rx4kqropfi4.jpg

• Luke_I_am_your_spotter
    Options
    Heres a picture of the Anromeda Galaxy I took from my backyard. jqoifjfhfwnb.jpg
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    John Glenn, American Hero of the Space Age, Dies at 95

A symbol of the space age as the first American to orbit Earth.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/08/us/john-glenn-dies.html?_r=0

aq67i5qp4o1m.jpg
  • LittleLionHeart1
    LittleLionHeart1 Posts: 3,655 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    RIP Brave John. Thank you for your service. You lived a long meaningful life that people dream of. And you really did it. <3

Motivation to be as fit as possible.
    When many are still living on this planet, that has gone to kitten in sooo many respects, I'm going to move to Mars or any planet with possibility. (Edit: Mars is vicious.... Any better prospects planet wise??)

@Luke I love your pictures. Especially the Supermoon pic. :o Incredible.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    I took this pic of the Orion Nebula last winter.

9rx4kqropfi4.jpg

Awesome.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Also, I have a question about "seeing" the Milky Way galaxy. Since that's our galaxy, how does one see it? The way I understand it, it would be like seeing earth. Since we're on planet earth, it wouldn't look like a sphere from here, right?

The galaxy is way less like a sphere than the Earth, it's closer to a dinner plate, but bulging in the middle. At least that's the current understanding. But it doesn't look like a circle from inside, it looks more like a thick line across the sky.

I've posted this before but it's probably useful right now. This is the Milky Way from Slate Peak in the North Cascades. The camera is more sensitive than the eye, so it's a little bit dimmer and it's less colorful too, when you're standing there.

This is a really gorgeous picture, but I can't quite make out the dinner plate? Could you give me an idea what portion of it is captured in your picture? And thank you, you've been so patient with your explanations, and my questions are really elementary.

Thanks!

I'm guessing that the center of the galaxy is down below the horizon, and the edge of the galaxy is up above the top of the frame. Just based on how bright it is. I could be wrong; I think it looks like two bands instead of one because giant dust clouds block a lot of star light.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options

Thanks!

I'm guessing that the center of the galaxy is down below the horizon, and the edge of the galaxy is up above the top of the frame. Just based on how bright it is. I could be wrong; I think it looks like two bands instead of one because giant dust clouds block a lot of star light.

Awesome intro. I actually wound up squeezing in most of this 1.5 hour documentary on the Milky Way between commercials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttz4Sr0tZFg&amp;app=desktop

I thought it was interesting that most or all of the proof points to our galaxy being a spiral galaxy, but since we've not been able to travel outside of it to view it, we can't be 100% certain - or, at least we do not have a picture of it. That was the case when the documentary was made, anyway. Who knows now!

Finally remembered the chromecast plugged into the TV and I've since watched this and the 'Journey to the Center of the universe' one that came recommended after it. I just might continue doing this for a while rather than searching for ondemand TV shows whenever I have some down time. Good stuff!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    John Glenn, American Hero of the Space Age, Dies at 95

A symbol of the space age as the first American to orbit Earth.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/08/us/john-glenn-dies.html?_r=0

aq67i5qp4o1m.jpg

RIP, John Glenn, American Hero.

You know, what I found so fascinating about this story is how this man basically made multiple careers from what some may consider passing interests. Oh, I just took flight lessons on the side. . That turns to a career as a military pilot and later an astronaut. Or, how being inspired by his high school civics teacher got him into a very successful political career.
  • cee134
    Options
    The surface of Venus, taken in 1981 by the Soviet probes Venera 13 and 14.

rlcznt83fb5o.jpg
  • cee134
    Options
    The Space Shuttle Columbia passes into a brilliant sunrise scene during the STS-9\Spacelab 1 mission.

13432hk4ehiq.jpg
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    The Space Shuttle Columbia passes into a brilliant sunrise scene during the STS-9\Spacelab 1 mission.

13432hk4ehiq.jpg

That would be a most awesome experience!