I went from morbidly obese to 6 pack abs! Ask me Anything

Options

Replies

• likhitha5454
    likhitha5454 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi , your journey was amazing and inspiring. I started walking for 20 mins with warmups for 4days now . It feels amazing and there are some body pains and sores, Iam thinking to start a excersice routine in the evening for 10-15 more minutes with body weight excersice like push-ups ,squats etc. But Iam really concerned about whether my body will be able to keep up with the soreness and pain as Iam just started? Also your answer on start body weight training early hit me hard Iam willing to do it a bit of guidance will be helpful.iam 21years old female with 5.5inch height and 95kgs weight . Goal weight is 56.5kgs with muscle .
  • Chanda777
    Chanda777 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Wow! You look awesome. Great job!
  • 49Elle
    49Elle Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thanks @vismal for your advice regards calorie deficit which I am addressing and re the weight station use will follow your suggestion. Cheers, Elle
  • mellowadam
    mellowadam Posts: 114 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Hi vismal. Thanks for this thread. I also follow you on youtube. Great info.

My top weight was over 300lbs several years ago. I'm currently down to 204 and I'm on the chubby side of skinny fat with all of it concentrated in my belly. I'm probably between 25 and 30% bf. I've developed a lot of discipline to maintain a 100 pound loss and have really got my nutrition dialed in. I'm losing my patience though with the gut! I'd like to be about 190 and lean out to about 15% bf. Maybe go lower during the summer. I know this will take time and dedication.

I'm 6 feet tall with a medium build. I'm eating around 210p, 250c, 80f for a total of 2500 most days. I eat mostly bro food and to be honest I really enjoy keeping it clean. I no longer have cravings. I refeed once a week bringing my carbs up over 300 and eat at about 2900 for that day. Usually just a chipotle burrito and tortilla chips or a quesadilla. I use whey with BCAA's and a creatine supplement. I'm tracking my 7 day average calories and comparing it to my weight and I'm losing about a half pound a week eating this way. I'm a respiratory therapist on an ICU and work 3 12 hours shifts. I usually come in over 20,000 steps per shift.

I am very new to strength training. I know I am making noob gains because my clothes fit different and I'm finally starting to have calves and quads. I'm also quickly getting definition in me biceps and triceps. I'm not really following a program however I have implemented the reverse pyramid style training from some kinobody videos I watched. I get 8.5 hours sleep on average and am recovering ok although sometimes I really hate my life with the DOMS after training legs.

My biggest question is how I can get over gym intimidation and start doing the big 3. I'm scared of the squat rack because I don't want to injure myself. Same with bench press and dead lift.

Would you recommend Ice cream fitness or Strong lifts? Do I need to eat a little more on training days or the day after to recover? Maybe more carbs?

Thanks again.
  • Jezreel12
    Jezreel12 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I also was afraid of the squat rack and stuff, but when I did it keeping good form it was nothing ! You can do it too believe me ;)
  • hawkmancody
    hawkmancody Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have a question,I have been counting calories for about 8 months or so now,and have lost around 95 lbs from my high of 284. I'm 189 right now, should I take a diet break and eat at maintinence for 2 weeks ?and should I start lifting? Thanks.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Hi , your journey was amazing and inspiring. I started walking for 20 mins with warmups for 4days now . It feels amazing and there are some body pains and sores, Iam thinking to start a excersice routine in the evening for 10-15 more minutes with body weight excersice like push-ups ,squats etc. But Iam really concerned about whether my body will be able to keep up with the soreness and pain as Iam just started? Also your answer on start body weight training early hit me hard Iam willing to do it a bit of guidance will be helpful.iam 21years old female with 5.5inch height and 95kgs weight . Goal weight is 56.5kgs with muscle .
    Soreness is temporary. You basically just have to deal with it. After a few sessions it will get better. If you constantly get sore and then take time off, you'll never really adapt and the soreness will never really subside. Just embrace it now and no it's only going to last a little while.
    mellowadam wrote: »
    Hi vismal. Thanks for this thread. I also follow you on youtube. Great info.

My top weight was over 300lbs several years ago. I'm currently down to 204 and I'm on the chubby side of skinny fat with all of it concentrated in my belly. I'm probably between 25 and 30% bf. I've developed a lot of discipline to maintain a 100 pound loss and have really got my nutrition dialed in. I'm losing my patience though with the gut! I'd like to be about 190 and lean out to about 15% bf. Maybe go lower during the summer. I know this will take time and dedication.

I'm 6 feet tall with a medium build. I'm eating around 210p, 250c, 80f for a total of 2500 most days. I eat mostly bro food and to be honest I really enjoy keeping it clean. I no longer have cravings. I refeed once a week bringing my carbs up over 300 and eat at about 2900 for that day. Usually just a chipotle burrito and tortilla chips or a quesadilla. I use whey with BCAA's and a creatine supplement. I'm tracking my 7 day average calories and comparing it to my weight and I'm losing about a half pound a week eating this way. I'm a respiratory therapist on an ICU and work 3 12 hours shifts. I usually come in over 20,000 steps per shift.

I am very new to strength training. I know I am making noob gains because my clothes fit different and I'm finally starting to have calves and quads. I'm also quickly getting definition in me biceps and triceps. I'm not really following a program however I have implemented the reverse pyramid style training from some kinobody videos I watched. I get 8.5 hours sleep on average and am recovering ok although sometimes I really hate my life with the DOMS after training legs.

My biggest question is how I can get over gym intimidation and start doing the big 3. I'm scared of the squat rack because I don't want to injure myself. Same with bench press and dead lift.

Would you recommend Ice cream fitness or Strong lifts? Do I need to eat a little more on training days or the day after to recover? Maybe more carbs?

Thanks again.

Congrats on your success so far. Basically getting over gym intimidation requires just diving in. You will not injure yourself doing lifts if you start with extremely light weight and focus on form. I'd rather see someone squat half their bodyweight to proper depth with a neutral spine than see someone round their back and go half way down with 2x bodyweight. Stronglifts and ICF are both decent programs. Stronglifts is more simplified and might work better if you are still eating in a caloric deficit. I do not personally eat more calories on workout days but I have in the past. It's really just personal preference.
  • rldeclercq4
    rldeclercq4 Posts: 269 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    I'm wondering if you have big family members? I have a lot of obesity in my family and so I keep thinking that whatever I do I could never look like this because of genetics. This all despite the fact my three siblings are all at a very healthy weight including my sister who has had 4 kids. I've got a lot of cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents, my mom, etc who were all overweight. When I started here in January I was 367 and my last weigh in was 342. I've cut way back on calories and have been doing cardio almost everyday. Based on the research I've done and what you corroborate here I have a plan to start incorporate strength training very soon ( I did cardio so far just so I can feel like I can breathe again while exercising). How long were your strength training exercises? (Sorry if you've answered either of those, I just don't have the time to scroll through 63 pages of comments).
    Yes, while my immediate family is normal weight for height, obesity as well as coronary artery disease runs in both sides of my family. Genetics will not stop you from being as lean as you want. Anyone can accomplish that. No one is destined to be fat. Genetics do make it harder for certain individuals to get lean, but never impossible. Also, most people have average genetics (hence average). Those who are genetically predisposed to obesity must remember that regardless of genetics, obesity is a 100% modifiable condition. You might have to eat a little less, exercise a little more, and be hungry more often than someone with no predisposition, but it is completely in your control to be as lean as you desire. Strength training for beginners doing a 3x a week total body workout should take around an hour to accomplish, maybe a bit longer.

Back again, I was just reading some of this thread and wanted to thank you for encouraging me. Since my question to you back in February I've lost about 110 more lbs, so things are going great on that front! And yes I did eventually add weightlifting, now I'm lifting about 3 times a week. My primary goal is still weight loss at the moment but the strength training I believe has gone a long way in changing my overall physique. I feel like I'm pretty lean for 230, but my goals is to get closer to or even under 200 before I really focus on building muscle mass
  • iamgunz
    iamgunz Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hi, really need your advice, if you ever faced what I am facing, few weeks back i started with heavy dumbbells and increased my workout time using them, but last Sunday, i suddenly started feeling very very weak and now i have not worked out for 5 days :(. On Wednesday i felt so weak that even a slow walk of half an hour had made me feel extremely weak. Till last week, i could have walked for 90 minutes (slow pace) easily and high pace, for an hour. My legs are somehow feeling very very tired. Please give me your suggestions, I want to come out of it asap. Missing my exercise sessions and after 16 months i was finally able to come out of Plateau, now dont want to be on plateau again !!!
  • vismal
    Options
    I have a question,I have been counting calories for about 8 months or so now,and have lost around 95 lbs from my high of 284. I'm 189 right now, should I take a diet break and eat at maintinence for 2 weeks ?and should I start lifting? Thanks.
    Yes, and YES! Diet breaks should usually happen every 8-12 weeks. When you are very overweight you can stretch that a bit, but now that you've lost a lot of weight, you should incorporate them more frequently. Lifting at any weight is always a good choice for improving body composition.
    vismal wrote: »

Back again, I was just reading some of this thread and wanted to thank you for encouraging me. Since my question to you back in February I've lost about 110 more lbs, so things are going great on that front! And yes I did eventually add weightlifting, now I'm lifting about 3 times a week. My primary goal is still weight loss at the moment but the strength training I believe has gone a long way in changing my overall physique. I feel like I'm pretty lean for 230, but my goals is to get closer to or even under 200 before I really focus on building muscle mass
    Wow that is Excellent! I love hearing success stories! Keep up the good work!
    iamgunz wrote: »
    Hi, really need your advice, if you ever faced what I am facing, few weeks back i started with heavy dumbbells and increased my workout time using them, but last Sunday, i suddenly started feeling very very weak and now i have not worked out for 5 days :(. On Wednesday i felt so weak that even a slow walk of half an hour had made me feel extremely weak. Till last week, i could have walked for 90 minutes (slow pace) easily and high pace, for an hour. My legs are somehow feeling very very tired. Please give me your suggestions, I want to come out of it asap. Missing my exercise sessions and after 16 months i was finally able to come out of Plateau, now dont want to be on plateau again !!!
    Something coming on that quickly and profoundly sounds like some kind of illness or bug to me. It should probably just go away on its own. If not I'd probably see a doctor and get checked out.
  • stephenearllucas
    stephenearllucas Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Hi Vismal, I know you've been very busy--just curious on how all your studying, etc., is going for you. Hope you made good progress on your goals in the last few months--you've been so helpful and inspiring to many of us! Happy New Year!
  • ieroen
    ieroen Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    This thread is ENORMOUS. Both in size and in awesomeness! :D I have no question, just wanted to say: massive respect to you sir. Really inspiring. I was originally planning to wait with working out, until I had dropped to a lower BF %. Your advice has made me understand that it's important lift weights to maintain muscle while cutting. Sounds like great advice, so that's what I'll be doing. Thanks man!
  • Dreamer_Aly
    Dreamer_Aly Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Nice work! So inspiring!
  • ilovefastcarstoo
    ilovefastcarstoo Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    So inspiring! I can't wait to start lifting again :)
  • hawkmancody
    hawkmancody Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I started lifting again and I am amazed at how little I can bench compared to what I used to be able to. I used to be able to bench 175 before financially I couldn't afford to go to the gym and had to stop going. This week on the ICF 5x5 I could bench 65 :( my other numbers are practically the same as before I quit but my question is Should I still try to loose fat while lifting or should I bulk for 3 months or so? I am still in the overweight bmi at around 26. Or should I recomp.
  • WickedMotivated
    WickedMotivated Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    What an inspiration!
  • vismal
    Options
    Hi Vismal, I know you've been very busy--just curious on how all your studying, etc., is going for you. Hope you made good progress on your goals in the last few months--you've been so helpful and inspiring to many of us! Happy New Year!
    So far so good. I have a little under a year left until I complete my graduate program. I can't wait!
    I started lifting again and I am amazed at how little I can bench compared to what I used to be able to. I used to be able to bench 175 before financially I couldn't afford to go to the gym and had to stop going. This week on the ICF 5x5 I could bench 65 :( my other numbers are practically the same as before I quit but my question is Should I still try to loose fat while lifting or should I bulk for 3 months or so? I am still in the overweight bmi at around 26. Or should I recomp.
    A BMI of 26 is barely overweight and depending on the muscle you carry it might not be overweight at all. For instance, in my profile picture I have a BMI of 26.4. As to whether you should cut or bulk that is completely up to you. Would you rather be leaner and then focus on gaining muscle mass or would you prefer to gain the muscle now and then remove fat afterwards? Whichever is more important to you at the moment is the correct answer.

• ieroen
    ieroen Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hey dude, I've been checking out your vids on YT and saw your opinion on not eating back any earned calories. My question is: do you feel the same about so-called "refeed days"? Say for example, I cut at a daily 500 calorie deficit and I workout 3 times a week. Since my diet is already in place for my cutting, would it be a good idea to take one day in the week and add those workout calories back into my diet with extra carbs and fats? I heard that it will keep the metabolism from slowing down and that eating more carbs will replenish glycogen levels. I was wondering what your take on this is.
  • alisterdickson
    alisterdickson Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Well Done just started on the journey, after 2 years out after a heart attack hope to have Abs like you at some point well done
  • jennyooh99
    jennyooh99 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    you mention a few pages back for a beginner to start with 3 days/week full body weight training, and I think 3 days cardio. you also mention if you use hiit for cardio to only do hiit one out of the 3 cardio days. why is that?

also, for the weight training you recommend 5x5, which looks like a great program to follow, but the heavy weight sounds so intimidating! if i'm at the start of my weight loss adventure (i have about 60 pounds to lose, i'm a 50 yo woman, 5'9"), is 5x5 a good place to start or is starting slowly, with lower weights and higher reps better while i'm initially in a weight loss phase early on?

thank you so much!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!