Have you ever lost 5lbs in a week? Is it possible (aiming for a one time thing?)

Options
Verity1111
Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
edited December 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
It doesn't have to be real weight. If it's part water and excess sodium that's fine because I feel awful and bloated anyway. Ive been retaining a bunch of water so Im wondering if I change my diet if it can help that soon. I am trying to hit my goal which is on the 18th and Im behind by 5 lbs. I am thinking of eating only vegetables fruit and eggs (dropping pasta bread chips etc) for that time and only drinking water and an occasional v8 with no processed food. Im a vegetarian already anyway. If I do this an exercise 2 out of 3 days do you think I might be able to lose enough excess water + some fat to hit that goal? Not saying can you guarantee it but is it possible? I also plan on upping my fiber because mine is awful. Usually under 10 per day and I have stomach pain all the time. Hoping this might improve my health at the same time.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Yes, I did last week. Actually it was 7 pounds I put on from Thanksgiving through Sunday. Back to my normal now.
  • Verity1111
    edited December 2016
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    It can be possible, but then when you return to your regular way of eating you'll likely be back up at your next weigh in as the water comes back

I might like it and stick to it although its expensive thats the issue and Im poor lol I love fresh veggies 24 7 but I have to settle for other stuff because bread lasts and is cheap. Same for pasta. It helps make other food last (adding it to a small salad is cheaper and more filling for me than eating a huge salad). I am just trying to win a contest and win some money for my kids to get us a Christmas tree. If I gain it later Im cool with that lol thank you for the input!
  • Verity1111
    edited December 2016
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Yes, I did last week. Actually it was 7 pounds I put on from Thanksgiving through Sunday. Back to my normal now.

Awesome! Wow thats a lot of water weight lol and some fat loss Im sure. Good work. :) I just really want to win this contest... broke and could use the $ and we dont have a tree or decorations so Im trying to get money for that and gifts for my kids. I dont plan on trying to lose 5lbs continuously Lol. Dont even need it to stay off forever just long enough to win lol Thank you for sharing your experience.
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I can do 5lbs in a day depending on when I weigh myself, what I've eaten, what exercise I've done...it's not really losing anything though, clothes fit no differently and measurements are the same.

If you just need to hit a weight for a weigh-in, there's all kinds of information available online on how boxers and MMA athletes make weigh-ins. It has to do with carb timing, water consumption and glycogen storage and will not be actual weight loss, it'll just make that scale say nice things when you want. Note though that while men can shed as much as 20lbs (or even more in exceptional cases), it's very difficult for women to shed much more than 5lbs in this manner. Not entirely sure why but it must have to do with the amount of fat women carry, our muscle density and different overall body composition. But yeah, check out how the pro's make weigh-ins for a possible strategy.
  • kermax39
    kermax39 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Yes....I lost 8lbs in my first week on mfp last year. Eating 1600 cals a day, mainly water weight obviously but after that it settled at 2lb a week.
  • vczK2t
    vczK2t Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    SOOOOOOOOOO, you want to risk your health for a quick fix JUST to win a contest for money?????????? That is not the right motivation.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    I can do 5lbs in a day depending on when I weigh myself, what I've eaten, what exercise I've done...it's not really losing anything though, clothes fit no differently and measurements are the same.

If you just need to hit a weight for a weigh-in, there's all kinds of information available online on how boxers and MMA athletes make weigh-ins. It has to do with carb timing, water consumption and glycogen storage and will not be actual weight loss, it'll just make that scale say nice things when you want. Note though that while men can shed as much as 20lbs (or even more in exceptional cases), it's very difficult for women to shed much more than 5lbs in this manner. Not entirely sure why but it must have to do with the amount of fat women carry, our muscle density and different overall body composition. But yeah, check out how the pro's make weigh-ins for a possible strategy.

works for me thank you!!
    kermax39 wrote: »
    Yes....I lost 8lbs in my first week on mfp last year. Eating 1600 cals a day, mainly water weight obviously but after that it settled at 2lb a week.

Thank you. :) I will keep my water up. I love water anyway.
    vczK2t wrote: »
    SOOOOOOOOOO, you want to risk your health for a quick fix JUST to win a contest for money?????????? That is not the right motivation.

Dropping excess water weight doesnt risk my health and either does eating all natural foods.
  • jh636
    jh636 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Keto
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options
    The very first week of my weight loss, roughly 16 months ago, was 6.4 lbs but it would have been mostly water. Everything since then has been the expected 2 lbs or less, decreasing as I get closer to goal. I'll never see a loss like that again unless I quit dieting for an extended period, go back to old habits, and then restart dieting. Would be water weight all over again.
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    jh636 wrote: »
    Keto

Keto is a process that takes time to achieve. It's unlikely to help in this specific case as becoming keto-adapted generally takes about a month and OP has only a week.

• foxandflora
    foxandflora Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    My first week on Whole 30 I dropped 7 pounds and my husband dropped 10. Now, just as was already mentioned, it was sodium and water and whatever the heck else. Probably only 2-3 pounds of actual... fat/weight off.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    You'll drop a heap of water weight if you go low carb for the week, but being vegetarian this may be difficult. Don't know how healthy this is, but athletes/boxers/jockeys etc sit in sauna's the day before weigh in (and probably don't replenish by drinking extra water) to get down to their weight class. Just please be careful and don't endanger your health...
  • Verity1111
    Options
    amyepdx wrote: »
    Let's do the math. To lose 5 lbs in a week, you would need to eat 17,500 fewer calories than your maintenance. That is 2,500 a day. Your maintenance is probably right around there if not less. So, you'll virtually have to eat nothing. Doable??

uh that's to lose 5lbs of fat...not water and fat
  • Verity1111
    Options
    The very first week of my weight loss, roughly 16 months ago, was 6.4 lbs but it would have been mostly water. Everything since then has been the expected 2 lbs or less, decreasing as I get closer to goal. I'll never see a loss like that again unless I quit dieting for an extended period, go back to old habits, and then restart dieting. Would be water weight all over again.

Well I still eat junk food now just in smaller amounts so thats why the bettering my diet
  • Verity1111
    Options
    You'll drop a heap of water weight if you go low carb for the week, but being vegetarian this may be difficult. Don't know how healthy this is, but athletes/boxers/jockeys etc sit in sauna's the day before weigh in (and probably don't replenish by drinking extra water) to get down to their weight class. Just please be careful and don't endanger your health...

I wont. I dont plan on not drinking water. I will probably just try this "diet" and see if it works then