Have you ever lost 5lbs in a week? Is it possible (aiming for a one time thing?)

Options

Replies

• BuddhaB0y
    BuddhaB0y Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Lost 9lbs this week so far lol. But that's cuz I went from maintaining at 2600-3000 cal to a strict measured 1800 max and cut out the fast food so the salt is down
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    vczK2t wrote: »
    SOOOOOOOOOO, you want to risk your health for a quick fix JUST to win a contest for money?????????? That is not the right motivation.

When your don't have enough money, especially when you have children, some people will go to extremes just to provide for them. This doesn't actually sound all that extreme especially since most will be water weight.

No need to judge.

Yeah i can understand doing this to make Christmas better for my kids. I think most parents would do just about anything for their children.

Thank you both. I will be eating. I didn't say can I starve myself and do it. I don't even plan to exercise every day.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    _SKIM_ wrote: »
    ridm34j5z343.jpg
    kgpwie9yckw7.jpg

Alternatives...just in case.
    I hope you get your tree, one way or another! Merry Christmas.
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Yes, I did last week. Actually it was 7 pounds I put on from Thanksgiving through Sunday. Back to my normal now.

Awesome! Wow thats a lot of water weight lol and some fat loss Im sure. Good work. :) I just really want to win this contest... broke and could use the $ and we dont have a tree or decorations so Im trying to get money for that and gifts for my kids. I dont plan on trying to lose 5lbs continuously Lol. Dont even need it to stay off forever just long enough to win lol Thank you for sharing your experience.

Not to interject because it wasn't your question, but wanted to throw an idea out there. You say you can't afford a tree, have you tried calling local churches to see if they know of any places that donate trees? By me we have several churches that sell discounted trees as well as donate trees. They usually aren't the nicest (like one side being a bit bare) but you could always face the bare side to a wall. There are also places that sell discounted/donates children's items for the holidays.

Like I said, I know it is not what you were asking but wanted to offer a few options in case you don't win.

Good luck!

Thank you all! Very thoughtful :)
  • Verity1111
    edited December 2016
    Options
    vczK2t wrote: »
    SOOOOOOOOOO, you want to risk your health for a quick fix JUST to win a contest for money?????????? That is not the right motivation.

When your don't have enough money, especially when you have children, some people will go to extremes just to provide for them. This doesn't actually sound all that extreme especially since mostbwill be water weight.

No need to judge.

Thank you too. It just seemed like a good opportunity for both motivation and help financially. Only was $10 to join and you can win over $200. I didn't order any fast food for weeks which is very not me (except for my kids birthday) and it kept me in check so much I started exercising again lol
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Best wishes! Let us know how you did.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    The very first week of my weight loss, roughly 16 months ago, was 6.4 lbs but it would have been mostly water. Everything since then has been the expected 2 lbs or less, decreasing as I get closer to goal. I'll never see a loss like that again unless I quit dieting for an extended period, go back to old habits, and then restart dieting. Would be water weight all over again.

Well I still eat junk food now just in smaller amounts so thats why the bettering my diet

Please point out in my comment where I mentioned junk food.
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I don't have any input on the water weight. Though, since this is a contest I assume you will be weighed wearing clothes? Get out your kitchen scale and start weighing your clothes to find your lightest outfit. Clothes this time of year can easily add ten pounds. If you are really desperate cutting your hair may even make a difference.
    If you don't win check out Freecycle. People post things they are looking for or trying to git rid of all for free. If you have it in your area, somebody surely has an old tree and decorations they would love to get rid of but can't bring themselves to toss in the trash.

Hahahahaha, "lightest outfit." Brilliant!
  • Verity1111
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Best wishes! Let us know how you did.

Thank you! I will :)
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    You'll drop a heap of water weight if you go low carb for the week, but being vegetarian this may be difficult. Don't know how healthy this is, but athletes/boxers/jockeys etc sit in sauna's the day before weigh in (and probably don't replenish by drinking extra water) to get down to their weight class. Just please be careful and don't endanger your health...

You can vegetarian low carb easily if you eat eggs and cheese. Sticking to things like cottage cheese and eggs for protein and eating just vegetables along with that would be a starting point for low carbing.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    You'll drop a heap of water weight if you go low carb for the week, but being vegetarian this may be difficult. Don't know how healthy this is, but athletes/boxers/jockeys etc sit in sauna's the day before weigh in (and probably don't replenish by drinking extra water) to get down to their weight class. Just please be careful and don't endanger your health...

You can vegetarian low carb easily if you eat eggs and cheese. Sticking to things like cottage cheese and eggs for protein and eating just vegetables along with that would be a starting point for low carbing.

Aren't vegetables high in carbs? Otherwise that was pretty much the plan. Vegetables with egg and a little cheese plus the occasiona fruit.
  • Verity1111
    edited December 2016
    Options
    The very first week of my weight loss, roughly 16 months ago, was 6.4 lbs but it would have been mostly water. Everything since then has been the expected 2 lbs or less, decreasing as I get closer to goal. I'll never see a loss like that again unless I quit dieting for an extended period, go back to old habits, and then restart dieting. Would be water weight all over again.

Well I still eat junk food now just in smaller amounts so thats why the bettering my diet

"go back to old habits" "quit dieting" etc? Kind of implies that. Otherwise Im not sure why it would matter. You wouldnt likely hold tons of salt if you eat 3000 calories in vegetables and fruit. However 1200 in salty junk food could do that to you. Otherwise I find it irrelevant.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    I don't have any input on the water weight. Though, since this is a contest I assume you will be weighed wearing clothes? Get out your kitchen scale and start weighing your clothes to find your lightest outfit. Clothes this time of year can easily add ten pounds. If you are really desperate cutting your hair may even make a difference.
    If you don't win check out Freecycle. People post things they are looking for or trying to git rid of all for free. If you have it in your area, somebody surely has an old tree and decorations they would love to get rid of but can't bring themselves to toss in the trash.

lol we weigh in the nude at home and no one sees it.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options

"go back to old habits" "quit dieting" etc? Kind of implies that. Otherwise Im not sure why it would matter. You wouldnt likely hold tons of salt if you eat 3000 calories in vegetables and fruit. However 1200 in salty junk food could do that to you. Otherwise I find it irrelevant.

The salt from the junk food would level itself out in a day or so. Those extra calories, on the other hand, would take the better part of four days to burn off, assuming a 500 calorie per day deficit. (1800 calorie difference between the 1200 of "salty junk food" and the 3000 of veggies).
  • amyr271
    amyr271 Posts: 343 Member
    Options

Then just tell them that you hit the goal, they're not gonna know if they aren't there
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options

No, it doesn't. It implies going back to the old habits that made *me* overweight. While everyone is overweight because they eat more calories than they burn, that does not mean that everyone who had a large loss the first week of their diets did so because they got those extra calories via food that you consider junk. And yes, I did lost a bunch of water weight by merely cutting down my portion sizes of foods that aren't junk in your book. It isn't against the laws of nature. My old habits merely involved portion sizes that were too large for the calorie intake I needed. That's it. I wasn't fat because I ate what you think was a bunch of "salty junk food". My kitchen contained plenty of fruit, veggies, proteins, etc. Too many in fact. Your assumption in this case is indeed incorrect.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    amyr271 wrote: »

Then just tell them that you hit the goal, they're not gonna know if they aren't there

I think they need to take a picture of the scale number?? On further thought, that would be easy to fudge as well, so not sure on that one...