Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Hi OP. :)
    A few questions:
    When you log, are you logging all of your oil, butter, sauces, etc, as well as your chicken and vegetables?
    Do you weigh your solid ingredients on a food scale, eyeball portions, or do you use measuring cups?
    For packaged foods (like butter, for instance) do you verify your labels against the MFP database entries? The MFP database is user maintained, so there are lots of incorrect entries. This also includes the barcode scanning and the green checkmarked "verified" entries. Always double check everything!
    If you answered yes to all of these and are using a food scale, you may want to consider adding a few higher calorie items back into your diet to ensure that you are reaching your calorie goal. There should be a list of higher calorie food options that I'm sure someone will post shortly.
    Or barring that, have a bowl of ice cream. :)

ETA: Never mind. Just noticed GottaBurnEmAll already posted the link.

Yes I log all of my oils, butters etc. and check the food label on my food and compare it to the one on here. I basically eat chicken and broccoli every day. So I guess I'll just have to try and eat more chicken

Just chicken and broccoli isn't really a "very healthy" diet as you said you were seeking. Variety is helpful. Here's a good link to learn more about nutrition: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/

Also, of course, such low calories is not healthy. You are going to be missing micros and some necessary macros (possibly the healthy fats you need too).

With such a limited diet my guess is, if the tracking isn't off (opening the diary might help) that you are bored with what you are eating and that's why you aren't feeling hungry. That's not sustainable.

It sounds to me that seeing a doctor and asking to see a registered dietitian would be a good idea if you truly think you are stuffed and can't eat more on such low calories and have such a limited (and inaccurate) idea of what a good diet is.
  • shaunte92
    shaunte92 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    It's difficult for me to believe that you can't eat more than 900 calories. Just try harder lol. It doesn't make sense that you could go from over eating, to severely under-eating and your body is never hungry at all? Also, there is a big difference between 900 and 2300 calories. Are you active? If not, that seems like a lot of calories for a woman who's trying to lose (granted, it depends on your size now)

Find out how much you should be eating, and log it at the beginning of the day or the night before (healthy carbs, peanuts, oil, protein, etc etc). Then you'll have no excuses as to why you can only eat 700-900 calories. I think it should be fairly easy to think of meals that are 400,500, or 600 calories.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    A few questions:
    When you log, are you logging all of your oil, butter, sauces, etc, as well as your chicken and vegetables?
    Do you weigh your solid ingredients on a food scale, eyeball portions, or do you use measuring cups?
    For packaged foods (like butter, for instance) do you verify your labels against the MFP database entries? The MFP database is user maintained, so there are lots of incorrect entries. This also includes the barcode scanning and the green checkmarked "verified" entries. Always double check everything!
    If you answered yes to all of these and are using a food scale, you may want to consider adding a few higher calorie items back into your diet to ensure that you are reaching your calorie goal. There should be a list of higher calorie food options that I'm sure someone will post shortly.

Yes I log all of my oils, butters etc. and check the food label on my food and compare it to the one on here. I basically eat chicken and broccoli every day. So I guess I'll just have to try and eat more chicken

There are a lot of foods out there that are low carb and calorie dense that aren't just chicken & broccoli. A diet composed predominantly of just two foods is going to miss out on a variety of nutrients. Have you taken a look at the list linked above? Do any of those foods appeal to you?

I've gotta be honest, it feels like something else is going on here. You seem very hesitant to actually take any of the advice being given.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Start eating carbs.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Hey everybody.
    So my calorie goal on here is about 2300. But after I get done logging all of my food at the end of the day I'm always between 700-900 calories. I'm trying to eat very healthy, I eat chicken, asparagus, broccoli I also add butter, olive oil etc. and I'm super full after my meals, yet I can't make it past 900 calories what am I doing wrong?!

Just eat more. Try adding in a protein shake, maybe a little bit more portion wise per meal. A granola bar. Little things here and there will get you to that goal and help you gain.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I find it very hard to believe you are super full after eating just 700-900 calories each day, betting your tracking is off.

^ this
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    TreyTnt9 wrote: »
    Why are you even dieting? Just eat normal food.

Easier said than done. When I eat normal I gain weight, even if it's just one-two meals a day. I have to watch my carbs.

What do you mean when you say "when I eat normal I gain weight". What does "normal" mean to you?
  • TMK0214
    TMK0214 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    How on earth did you gain weight if you can't eat more than 700-900 calories? If your calorie counts are correct, you need to figure out something cause eating 700-900 calories of "healthy" food isn't as health as a balanced diet with the right amount of calories.

I obviously wasn't watching what I ate before I decided to lose weight....now that I do watch what I eat, this happens.
  • TMK0214
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    TreyTnt9 wrote: »
    Why are you even dieting? Just eat normal food.

Easier said than done. When I eat normal I gain weight, even if it's just one-two meals a day. I have to watch my carbs.

What do you mean when you say "when I eat normal I gain weight". What does "normal" mean to you?

Normal to me means like maybe spaghetti with sauce for dinner, and like maybe eggs and bacon and toast for breakfast and rice with chicken for dinner. That makes me gain weight, sounds crazy but is true. I could eat only 2 meals a day both of them being noddles with veggies and I will gain weight because of the noodles. After struggling with my weight for so long I have now figured out what works and what doesn't.
  • TMK0214
    Options
    A few questions:

There are a lot of foods out there that are low carb and calorie dense that aren't just chicken & broccoli. A diet composed predominantly of just two foods is going to miss out on a variety of nutrients. Have you taken a look at the list linked above? Do any of those foods appeal to you?

I've gotta be honest, it feels like something else is going on here. You seem very hesitant to actually take any of the advice being given.

How does it seem like I'm very hesitant to actually take any of the advice ? I actually clicked on the links etc. and started eating more yogurt, adding more butter etc. to move that number up...
  • TMK0214
    Options
    shaunte92 wrote: »
    It's difficult for me to believe that you can't eat more than 900 calories. Just try harder lol. It doesn't make sense that you could go from over eating, to severely under-eating and your body is never hungry at all? Also, there is a big difference between 900 and 2300 calories. Are you active? If not, that seems like a lot of calories for a woman who's trying to lose (granted, it depends on your size now)

Find out how much you should be eating, and log it at the beginning of the day or the night before (healthy carbs, peanuts, oil, protein, etc etc). Then you'll have no excuses as to why you can only eat 700-900 calories. I think it should be fairly easy to think of meals that are 400,500, or 600 calories.

I mean of course it's not "difficult" I have no problem going to McDonald's and eating a whole Big Mac meal that's 1000+ calories lol. My problem is that I'm prepping my meals, and i fill each and every box and after I get through eating I'm full. Yes I could keep eating but that's exactly what im trying to stop doing, eating after I'm already full. Im happy that my body is giving me the full signal. Eating after being full is what got me here. But yes im active i go to the gym every morning, I gained 80 pounds during my pregnancy which put me at 300+ pounds, which is why my calories are set so high.
  • TMK0214
    Options
    Hey everybody.
    So my calorie goal on here is about 2300. But after I get done logging all of my food at the end of the day I'm always between 700-900 calories. I'm trying to eat very healthy, I eat chicken, asparagus, broccoli I also add butter, olive oil etc. and I'm super full after my meals, yet I can't make it past 900 calories what am I doing wrong?!

The bolded part is often the problem when people complain that they are eating too few calories. Healthy, is not a food or ingredient but a diet (in the true sense of the word - what you eat). So healthy will be balanced, including P/F/C and at an appropriate level for your activity.

If you struggle hitting your cals with chicken, asparagus, broccoli I also add butter, olive oil etc add in some of the stuff you used to eat before you started "dieting".

Yes thank you that's what I started doing, adding more butter and things like that to my vegetables. It definitely made the number go up more. Haven't made it to 1000 yet. But 900 something calories is better than 700 which is what I had the first day.
  • TMK0214
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    A few questions:

Just chicken and broccoli isn't really a "very healthy" diet as you said you were seeking. Variety is helpful. Here's a good link to learn more about nutrition: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/

Also, of course, such low calories is not healthy. You are going to be missing micros and some necessary macros (possibly the healthy fats you need too).

With such a limited diet my guess is, if the tracking isn't off (opening the diary might help) that you are bored with what you are eating and that's why you aren't feeling hungry. That's not sustainable.

It sounds to me that seeing a doctor and asking to see a registered dietitian would be a good idea if you truly think you are stuffed and can't eat more on such low calories and have such a limited (and inaccurate) idea of what a good diet is.

Of course chicken and broccoli is not what im going to be eating forever. I started my diet 3 days ago and that's what I cooked when I was prepping my meals, of course i need to switch it up that was just an example. The other foods I have in mind aren't that high in calories either though which is why I made the post asking for help. I saved the link and will check it out thank you!
  • TMK0214
    Options
    Eleonora91 wrote: »
    It's quite unlikely that your calorie intake is so low if you're even adding high-calorie seasonings such as olive oil and butter. 1 table spoon of olive oil has around 90-110 kcals depending on how many grams of oil you can fit in the volume of your table spoon (around 10-13g though), and 15g of butter have around 115 kcals. So each of them will make up for 10% of a 1000-kcal diet. Maybe you could try to open your diary so that everyone can give ideas on how to increase your calorie intake?

How do I open my diary? Most of the foods (not all) are in German since I'm in Germany so I don't know how much that will help but I don't mind posting it. And the reason olive oil doesn't take up much of my calories because I only use one teaspoon. And I barely use 15g of butter. Maybe about 5g, but since people gave me some advice on here I have started using more butter to add calories and fat.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    If you are accurately weighing and logging and you are 100% positive that your calorie count is correct then I will tell you to add some calorie dense foods. Nuts of all kinds, nut butters, cheese, and the like are good for getting calories up. I also have times when getting my calories up feels like a struggle because I just don't feel hungry. Is your carb intake very low? I am assuming it may be since you mention sticking to vegetables and meat mostly. When my carb count goes low my appetite goes M.I.A. The only way for me to regain it is through liquid calories because food usually does not look remotely appealing during these times.