Help what am I doing wrong? I cant lose weight

Options

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    @najranforever. You are completely right. I have also witnessed this first hand. Fast food is hard to digest and once I decided to cut this out I drastically saw results as hard as it can be to refrain from it. Every medical doctor or deitician in the world will tell you that eating healthy is a major part of weight loss (combined with monitoring calories). I can't quite understand why people want to deny what even a dietician, who specializes in weight management, would tell you. I'm certain they (doctors and dieticians) have more knowledge and training than the average person.

I've worked with several doctors and nope, none of them told me to focus on eating a certain way, or labeled food 'healthy' vs 'not healthy' or 'good' or 'bad. You are right about the calorie thing though and that's the only thing I've focused on, not only to lose 50lbs, but to also improve all my health markers and blood panels (no longer a prediabetic either, go me!).

I ate fast food regularly during my weight loss phase and I still eat it regularly now almost 4 years into successful maintenance. My current MD is very pleased with where I'm at with my health and we've discussed my diet, weight loss and maintenance in some detail. She has no problem with me eating out, drinking diet soda etc. In fact, she told me to keep doing what I'm doing because I'm one of only a handful of her patients who have managed to keep off the excess weight for any length of time. She's also kind of passed me around the practice and I've shared my story with others there, because again-I'm one of the statistical unicorns who are successfully maintaining :D

I enjoy eating out and there's absolutely no reason for me to eliminate it.

I'm happy for your weight loss. I know it takes a lot of hard work and dedication. I do feel like if you asked your MD what he/she would recommend for long term weight loss, or what they think about frequent junk food in a persons diet they would tell you to eat healthy, monitor your calories and exercise. If they didnt tell you that and told you to eat all the junk food you wanted I would very weary of his/her overall medical advice. This is not to say one cannot indulge in anyway, but junk food just shouldn't be a ones consistent 'go to food' in one's diet.

What's "junky" about a 2 grilled chicken sandwiches and a side salad? (Just one of my frequent meals from a fast food joint).
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    @najranforever. You are completely right. I have also witnessed this first hand. Fast food is hard to digest and once I decided to cut this out I drastically saw results as hard as it can be to refrain from it. Every medical doctor or deitician in the world will tell you that eating healthy is a major part of weight loss (combined with monitoring calories). I can't quite understand why people want to deny what even a dietician, who specializes in weight management, would tell you. I'm certain they (doctors and dieticians) have more knowledge and training than the average person.

I've worked with several doctors and nope, none of them told me to focus on eating a certain way, or labeled food 'healthy' vs 'not healthy' or 'good' or 'bad. You are right about the calorie thing though and that's the only thing I've focused on, not only to lose 50lbs, but to also improve all my health markers and blood panels (no longer a prediabetic either, go me!).

I ate fast food regularly during my weight loss phase and I still eat it regularly now almost 4 years into successful maintenance. My current MD is very pleased with where I'm at with my health and we've discussed my diet, weight loss and maintenance in some detail. She has no problem with me eating out, drinking diet soda etc. In fact, she told me to keep doing what I'm doing because I'm one of only a handful of her patients who have managed to keep off the excess weight for any length of time. She's also kind of passed me around the practice and I've shared my story with others there, because again-I'm one of the statistical unicorns who are successfully maintaining :D

I'm happy for your weight loss. I know it takes a lot of hard work and dedication. I do feel like if you asked your MD what he/she would recommend for long term weight loss, or what they think about frequent junk food in a persons diet they would tell you to eat healthy, monitor your calories and exercise. If they didnt tell you that and told you to eat all the junk food you wanted I would very weary of his/her overall medical advice. This is not to say one cannot indulge in anyway, but junk food just shouldn't be a ones consistent 'go to food' in one's diet.

Like I said above-I've had very in-depth conversations with my doctor about how I eat, have shown her food diaries, have talked to her about eating out, have had extensive blood work panels done (2x a year for the past 5 or so years), and my doctor is very pleased with what I'm doing. And again-I am living long term weight loss. I'm a statistical anomaly, and have done something that the vast majority of people who have tried losing weight have not been able to do-I'm successfully maintaining. Why would my doctor then tell me to do something different? The proof is in my stats which are posted in my profile area, along with before/after pictures, for anyone interested in taking a peek.

And no one here is advocating a diet of only fast food or 'junk' food. On average I eat 90 meals and 30 snacks a month (3 meals/1 snack a day). On average I eat fast food 12 times a month (3 meals a week). The other 78 meals and 30 snacks are at home and includes all sorts of foods. It's all good :)

eta: OP-sorry we kind of got off track here with tangents!
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

What's "junky" about a 2 grilled chicken sandwiches and a side salad? (Just one of my frequent meals from a fast food joint).

This.

Today for example- we have two family get togethers, both with pizza as the main dish. I was in charge of ordering for one of them and included a thin crust pizza loaded with veggies in the order and that's what I'll be eating. It will be a calorie friendly meal and pretty well rounded nutritionally as well.
  • AntoinetteAngus
    AntoinetteAngus Posts: 58 Member
    Options

I actually think this is an example of a great nutritional 'fast food' option if you chose to indulge in fast food for the day.
  • AntoinetteAngus
    Options

This.

Today for example- we have two family get togethers, both with pizza as the main dish. I was in charge of ordering for one of them and included a thin crust pizza loaded with veggies in the order and that's what I'll be eating. It will be a calorie friendly meal and pretty well rounded nutritionally as well.

I think this is also a great option to opt for thin crust and include lots of vegetables on your pizza when you choose to indulge.
  • AntoinetteAngus
    Options

Like I said above-I've had very in-depth conversations with my doctor about how I eat, have shown her food diaries, have talked to her about eating out, have had extensive blood work panels done (2x a year for the past 5 or so years), and my doctor is very pleased with what I'm doing. And again-I am living long term weight loss. I'm a statistical anomaly, and have done something that the vast majority of people who have tried losing weight have not been able to do-I'm successfully maintaining. Why would my doctor then tell me to do something different? The proof is in my stats which are posted in my profile area, along with before/after pictures, for anyone interested in taking a peek.

And no one here is advocating a diet of only fast food or 'junk' food. On average I eat 90 meals and 30 snacks a month (3 meals/1 snack a day). On average I eat fast food 12 times a month (3 meals a week). The other 78 meals and 30 snacks are at home and includes all sorts of foods. It's all good :)

I think that your ratio to junk food and healthy home cooked food seems totally balanced and is a good example to present to mfp users. Where I tend to want to delve deeper is when people somewhat suggest that people don't need to focus on healthy food. I'm very glad you indicated your ratio of quality food vs junk food. This is very helpful to others to create a healthy balance in their lifestyle.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options

What makes fast food supposedly harder to digest than any other kind of food?

Some article in Family Circle probably said it so it must be true.

Heh, I guess so, since I never got an answer to my question.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

What makes fast food supposedly harder to digest than any other kind of food?

Some article in Family Circle probably said it so it must be true.

Heh, I guess so, since I never got an answer to my question.

And you never will. Lol
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    CM_73 wrote: »
    I wish it was hard to digest!

agree , i had a double stack and value fries for lunch yesterday ,, man it was good

good luck

• AntoinetteAngus
    Options

This.

I think this is also a great option to opt for thin crust and include lots of vegetables on your pizza when you choose to indulge.

I guess I was confused cause you "completely agreed" with someone who said to eliminate fast food... So you don't agree that fast food should be eliminated? You should've just said that.

It's also not indulging, it's just eating.

I personally eliminated it over the last couple of months due to the effects I noticed in my body and have noticed great results because of it. I do realize it is nothe for everyone but I do advocate healthy options if one does consume fast food regularly.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

This.

I guess I was confused cause you "completely agreed" with someone who said to eliminate fast food... So you don't agree that fast food should be eliminated? You should've just said that.

It's also not indulging, it's just eating.

I personally eliminated it over the last couple of months due to the effects I noticed in my body and have noticed great results because of it. I do realize it is nothe for everyone but I do advocate healthy options if one does consume fast food regularly.

I don't personally care for most "fast food" and just never have cause to eat it (same when I was fat, though). This doesn't mean I never eat high cal/lower nutrient foods or pizza (which IMO isn't inherently a "junk" food -- it can involve reasonable calories, lots of vegetables, some olive oil, lean meat, even an egg or whole wheat crust, etc., and isn't particularly different in nutrients or macros from plenty of meals people would call healthy).

I find the idea that "fast food" is inherently different from other foods or not varied to be weird even though I barely ever eat it. I also find the idea that people choose between eliminating fast food or should be assumed to not be concerned with eating a healthy diet or basing most of their diet on "junk food" or "fast food" to be odd. I always wonder if this comes from people who were, at some point, doing the latter.

Anyway, fast food obviously is not hard to digest or somehow different in kind from other foods and can be fit into a healthy diet if one wants. I do think eating a healthy diet is important, although OP's issue with not losing could occurred whether she's trying to eat a healthy diet or not, as it's likely because she's eating more calories than she thinks.
  • AntoinetteAngus
    Options

I think that your ratio to junk food and healthy home cooked food seems totally balanced and is a good example to present to mfp users. Where I tend to want to delve deeper is when people somewhat suggest that people don't need to focus on healthy food. I'm very glad you indicated your ratio of quality food vs junk food. This is very helpful to others to create a healthy balance in their lifestyle.

but where does anyone ever advocate that?
    Why is it always assumed that when people say 'you can eat fast food and still lose weight', that it's some sort of binary 'you must only eat french fries and Big Macs' or 'You must eliminate all fast food'?
    Like today for instance, I had a breakfast sandwich and a latte from Starbucks for breakfast (and it's digesting just fine, thank you very much). It was a bacon, egg, and gouda sandwich...perhaps that is "unhealthy"? This afternoon I'll probably have some homemade soup or a salad. See how that works? I can have both fast food and non fast food. It doesn't have to be an all or nothing scenario.
    And also, why is it always assumed that fast food =/= healthy? If it's a salad from home with chicken, lettuce, veggies, and dressing, it's healthy, but if you get the exact same thing in the drive thru, it's somehow not?

The user said: 'I've worked with several doctors and nope, none of them told me to focus on eating a certain way, or labeled food 'healthy' vs 'not healthy.' The truth is no doctor would say cheeseburgers and fries is healthy, what they would say is to consume it in moderation.

I realize that this person's entire diet obviously did not completely consist of junk food but I think it's important that she clarify the portion of junk food she eats for others. Which she responsibly did which is fantastic.

In response to your last point I actually feel like there are healthy options at fast food places and adovcate that people attempt to incoprorate these on occasion (ex: why not incorporate a salad instead of fries, or water instead of a fountain drink). There are days where of course you will want the burger, fries and a fountain drink, but its best not to make this an overly frequent occurrence (any MD would advocate the same).
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

What makes fast food harder to digest? Why wouldn't this be a good thing for weight loss (as laid out numerous times in this thread)? Eating healthy comes in a lot of forms. Why are you choosing to shame people for something that can absolutely fit into a healthy and balanced diet?
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    This thread is cringy >.<