"You can lose weight without working out". YES. But...

Options
I 100% agree that being in a calorie deficit is all it takes to lose weight.

But when I read on the boards people telling others who are struggling to make time to work out "You don't need exercise to lose weight" I cringe a little....mostly because in my own case it all started with exercise.
I started swimming, and wanted to be better at it so I took up C25K, then figured eating better would probably help with both, bringing me to the calorie deficit that put me into the "normal weight" BMI for the first time in my adult life. Even now, exercising is the engine for me. If I'm working out, I WANT to eat well. If not, I don't care.

So perhaps there are other "latent" athletes out there for whom the advice to make time to work out could be the trigger that changes everything, and we're discouraging that by saying "Nah, don't worry about it, just eat less".

Thoughts?

Replies

• Hungry_Shopgirl
    Hungry_Shopgirl Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    When people are struggling, there are usually a variety of reasons. Physical limitations, feeling overwhelmed or confused, financial, time, emotional (such as depression), etc. It isn't always helpful to insist that people must exercise to lose weight. It's a step, but if it's the last thing that they are interested/willing to do, then it's more helpful to support them to take whatever steps they will.

Makes sense! Thanks for helping me see the other side of the coin.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options

But when I read on the boards people telling others who are struggling to make time to work out "You don't need exercise to lose weight" I cringe a little....mostly because in my own case it all started with exercise.
    I started swimming, and wanted to be better at it so I took up C25K, then figured eating better would probably help with both, bringing me to the calorie deficit that put me into the "normal weight" BMI for the first time in my adult life. Even now, exercising is the engine for me. If I'm working out, I WANT to eat well. If not, I don't care.

So perhaps there are other "latent" athletes out there for whom the advice to make time to work out could be the trigger that changes everything, and we're discouraging that by saying "Nah, don't worry about it, just eat less".

Thoughts?

I don't know if it's just my perceptions, but I don't see anything wrong with telling people who "are struggling" to make time to work out that they don't need to do so in order to lose weight. After all, why make things more difficult for people who are already struggling?

I don't exercise, and if I was told on here that I had to in order to lose weight I'll admit I would probably have given up, so what might trigger exercise for some would trigger giving up for others. Fortunately, the kind of people who insist on exercise (and I'm not classing you as one of them OP!) don't tend to stay for long.

Most comments I've read on here have said calories for weight loss, exercise for health. And even though I don't exercise, I totally agree with that.
  • RickyBrodieFitness
    RickyBrodieFitness Posts: 3 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Personally I think people associate exercise with weight or fat loss far to often. What about general health and wellbeing at the top of your priority list? Exercise can be as little as a 20 minute walk a day and will completely change your lifestyle if done consistently! Too many excuses due to lack of education and thinking that a bootcamp and intense workout needs to be done.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    rkg1966 wrote: »
    rkg1966 wrote: »

Thoughts?

I absolutely HATE to work out so I WILL NOT make time for it. I will stick with my calorie deficit to lose weight and I will eat adequate protein to help spare my muscles. So, it's 100% diet for me 0% exercise.

And what about exercise for keeping you healthy. No time for that either?

Um...I said I HATE to exercise...not that hard to understand. I can't make it anymore simple for you to understand.

I'm not stupid at all, so you don't need to simplify anything. You also said it's 0% exercise for you.....you really don't have time for your health, never mind weight loss? Diet is for weight loss, exercise is for your health and physical well being. Im just curious, because you "hate" exercise, does that mean you just won't ever worry about those things?
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with exercise . We do have to remember its hard to out exercise what you eat . How much we eat plays a more important role during weight loss than official exercise . I also agree with you that if your exercising you probably are concerned with your diet as well . So for fitness they go hand in hand . Some also say to keep things simple at first , so maybe getting our eating under control first is a good idea . thinking that i have to exercise and control my diet to lose weight might be too much for some people

Good luck
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I think everyone should exercise for the health benefits. Now I'm not saying that needs to be done conventionally with going to a gym or following videos. Lots of exercise can be gotten through enjoyable hobbies and activities, walking, gardening, kayaking, disc golf, anything that keeps you moving and not sedentary.
  • girlgroves
    girlgroves Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I think for some people "exercise" is too formal a term for what they could physically do (or mentally want to do)when they first start a weight loss journey. I exercise a lot now that I've lost my weight - I love all of it, and can see and feel the huge benefits in terms of fitness, health, emotional health, body shape and confidence. Being able to push my body and achieve new things is what is making maintenance so much easier and more enjoyable.

But I do know I wouldn't have been able to physically do most of the stuff I do now before I lost the weight. I did commit to walking for half an hour every lunchtime though - like some other posters above, I didn't consider that 'exercise' at the time - just moving more - because it didn't involve pulling on some trainers and getting out the lycra! My exercise levels have only increased as I've lost weight - I now run, life weights, go to classes, but 'moving more' is what started it all off.