"You can lose weight without working out". YES. But...

Options

Replies

• CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    kermax39 wrote: »
    I dont exercize, iv lost 54lbs. I walk to the shops and walk the dog, look after my toddler and work....I.dont really stop all day. So theres no chance in hell im getting up at 4am to do a run or wasting precious evenings at the gym when I dont need to. U dont need exercize to lose weight or to be healthy.

"I don't exercize"
    but
    "I walk to the shops and walk the dog"

So you do exercise...............

There is a difference in exercise for the purpose of exercise, calorie burn, gaining physical stamina, strength and endurance and traveling somewhere on foot for an entirely different purpose. Purposeful exercise will likely come with an effort which is directed at improvement of many physical and mental factors. You know that though.

What is different between a walk with the dog and a walk without the dog?

Well, for one, when I walk alone I pick up poop absolutely never. :D

And the dogs are always wanting to stop and sniff stuff. Without them I just walk solid without stopping.

This is my biggest issue with my dog. I usually have to take 2 separate walks -- one purposeful brisk walk sans dog and then one foot-dragging, poop picking up, stop and sniff everything stroll. But that's just the way my dog is -- all dogs are different!
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I 100% agree that being in a calorie deficit is all it takes to lose weight.

But when I read on the boards people telling others who are struggling to make time to work out "You don't need exercise to lose weight" I cringe a little....mostly because in my own case it all started with exercise.
    I started swimming, and wanted to be better at it so I took up C25K, then figured eating better would probably help with both, bringing me to the calorie deficit that put me into the "normal weight" BMI for the first time in my adult life. Even now, exercising is the engine for me. If I'm working out, I WANT to eat well. If not, I don't care.

So perhaps there are other "latent" athletes out there for whom the advice to make time to work out could be the trigger that changes everything, and we're discouraging that by saying "Nah, don't worry about it, just eat less".

Thoughts?

Personally, I like that posts get a variety of advice. Coming here helped to dispell a lot of the mysteries around weight loss that I'd been holding onto and hearing things like "you don't necessarily have to exercise" helped me take a step back and feel like I was in control of this process instead of the other way around. I did choose to continue exercising, but knowing it was a choice and not a requirement empowered me. It would be great if those here who don't like the advice being given could jump in and add their own experiences on those threads instead of trying to dictate how the rest of us give advice.

I also like posters getting a variety of advice. And often times, this advice comes after someone posts that they have been injured, or have a long term illness, and are afraid they will gain the weight back. So it is nice for everyone to be reminded that you don't have to exercise to lose weight.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I dont exercize, iv lost 54lbs. I walk to the shops and walk the dog, look after my toddler and work....I.dont really stop all day. So theres no chance in hell im getting up at 4am to do a run or wasting precious evenings at the gym when I dont need to. U dont need exercize to lose weight or to be healthy.

"I don't exercize"
    but

There is a difference in exercise for the purpose of exercise, calorie burn, gaining physical stamina, strength and endurance and traveling somewhere on foot for an entirely different purpose. Purposeful exercise will likely come with an effort which is directed at improvement of many physical and mental factors. You know that though.

And the dogs are always wanting to stop and sniff stuff. Without them I just walk solid without stopping.

I always stop when I'm running and pet the doggies. I also have to stop for traffic lights.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

"I don't exercize"
    but

What is different between a walk with the dog and a walk without the dog? Are you seriously saying that walking a dog doesn't require effort and improve physical and mental factors?

Note: I don't own a dog, but I have walked my grandparent's shepherd when I was younger.

We walk our dogs because the dogs need exercise as well. So the 4 of us get exercise (2 people, 2 dogs).

And I really don't care if how it is labelled. It burns 200-300 calories and get me out moving.

And look how happy your dog is!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I 100% agree that being in a calorie deficit is all it takes to lose weight.

But when I read on the boards people telling others who are struggling to make time to work out "You don't need exercise to lose weight" I cringe a little....mostly because in my own case it all started with exercise.
    I started swimming, and wanted to be better at it so I took up C25K, then figured eating better would probably help with both, bringing me to the calorie deficit that put me into the "normal weight" BMI for the first time in my adult life. Even now, exercising is the engine for me. If I'm working out, I WANT to eat well. If not, I don't care.

So perhaps there are other "latent" athletes out there for whom the advice to make time to work out could be the trigger that changes everything, and we're discouraging that by saying "Nah, don't worry about it, just eat less".

Thoughts?

I am similar to you in that I tend to find exercise/fitness a motivator and something that helps me eat better.

BUT, I didn't find people saying "you don't have to work out to lose" a de-motivator, but simply a truth. You don't. I wanted to and knew if I was more active I could also maintain while eating more, eventually. So I am not critical of those statements at all. I don't think anyone is telling people who want to exercise not to worry about it.

I also was out of shape when I started, so knowing I didn't have to do things I couldn't yet or make myself miserable was helpful; I worked my way up and did a lot of walking. In the past I had sometimes started too intensely with exercise as a focus instead of an overall plan and burned myself out. I also found, for me, that controlling diet was important and also allowed for much faster weight loss (with the fitness goals serving as motivation). When I have tried to avoid controlling my eating with "I'll just work out/run more" it hasn't really worked for me.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,870 Member
    Options
    I always stop when I'm running and pet the doggies. I also have to stop for traffic lights.

AWWW
    That's one nice thing about running or walking outside...you get to see all those adorable doggies.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    Following Atticus

forty-eight high peaks, one little dog, and an extraordinary friendship

...If Atticus seems an unlikely mountaineer, so does Ryan, a self-described “middle-aged, overweight newspaper editor”

9780061997105.jpg
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options

"I don't exercize"
    but

Annie_01 wrote: »
    I stop too on my walks. In one direction I have traffic lights. In the other direction I walk along the river and a lake. I walk briskly for a while and then I stop to enjoy the scenery. My time varies from a 4.0 to a 3.0. I don't worry about it...I am getting some exercise and enjoying life at the same time.

I sometimes wish I had a dog to go with me.

Sadly, my husky died young of cancer in 2009.

Most of the people I meet on my new hiking place have dogs and I always stop and say hello to them. At my old place, I tried to take my neighbor's ShiTzu on walks with me, but she didn't like it and I had to spend more time grooming her afterwards than we'd spent walking.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Also, keep the dog photos coming! They are so cute.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

"I don't exercize"
    but

I stop too on my walks. In one direction I have traffic lights. In the other direction I walk along the river and a lake. I walk briskly for a while and then I stop to enjoy the scenery. My time varies from a 4.0 to a 3.0. I don't worry about it...I am getting some exercise and enjoying life at the same time.

Most of the people I meet on my new hiking place have dogs and I always stop and say hello to them. At my old place, I tried to take my neighbor's ShiTzu on walks with me, but she didn't like it and I had to spend more time grooming her afterwards than we'd spent walking.

Sorry about your dog. We lost ours a year and a half ago to bladder cancer.

Since then, we now have a long-haired small dog. How in the heck did I end up with a rat dog? Sorry - no pictures (yet) of the little man.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

"I don't exercize"
    but

My two favorite dogs...a Pug and a Saint Bernard. I know...quite the opposite of each other. The problem that I have is that I live in Texas where the summers can be brutal for both types. I also live in an apartment. The Pug would fair well but not sure about the St. Barnard however. I have owned 3 St. Bernards in my lifetime and I really enjoy all 3 of them. Taking a St Bernard for a walk...well it would be slow!
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    0r5zrzgmgfpg.jpg
    This is my dog who gets walked everyday, at least 5 miles a day. He is wearing his smile.

<3 Both awesome smiles!