IT'S CHRISSTMAASS!!! What are your diet plans?

Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Yum! I love seeing the festive traditions that people have around the holidays...

My big events/meals include:

Christmas Eve brunch with inlaws: egg casserole, pastries, hashbrowns, bacon and mimosas

Long workout.

Christmas Eve dinner at my house: cheese, salami, salad, garlic bread and ravioli in red sauce from our local Italian shops. Cookie assortment for dessert. Watch Christmas Vacation after kids go to bed and set everything up under the tree.

Christmas morning: Monkey Bread and Mimosas while we watch the kids tear through presents and stockings.

Long walk hopefully (supposed to be 60 but rainy) that day after we get things cleaned up.

Christmas night: Pot luck with husbands extended family: lots of appetizers, sandwich stuff, desserts, and alcohol

26th: Recover and Prepare for Wave 2, invasion of my family

27th: brunch celebration (similar menu to above)

28-30th: Planning to see some movies and do fun activities around town, hopefully try new restaurants.

31st: Homemade pizzas and board games with kids.

1st: host FIL birthday party- assorted chili, appetizers, and football!

2nd: recovery day

3rd: jury duty. Boo!
  • subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    We are veggie and usually I spend ages creating some suitable veggie centrepiece that goes with the usual roast elements because a Christmas lunch isn't right without Brussels, yorkies and roasties with lashings of gravy.

However it takes me away from the kids and the other half for a good 2-3 hours on Christmas Day. So, given we've been logging and being very good since the end of February we have really missed our Indian takeaways, so we decided that this year that would be our lunch. Can't bloody wait! Our friend has also made a Chrissy pud for us that will be well worth the calories.

Boxing Day is up with the parents so that will be a bit of a splurge.

Before and after will be deficit as usual. We aren't buying lots of cheese, snacks or alcohol this year and haven't made a cake. The kids aren't majorly into the cake anyway and we don't want the temptation (because I blooming LOVE it!).

Just 2 days of a bit of nice food then back to it. Nearly 6 stone down (about 80lbs so far) so doing ok and I am not going to jeopardise the flow or motivation as there are still a couple to go.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Christmas lunch is:

Welcome Christmas cocktail or fruit juice
    poured and ready half an hour before your arrival, from 1:00pm

Starter
    Garlic and stilton mushroom bouche (v)
    with black truffle foam

Soup
    Pea, apple and hazelnut (v)
    with apple crisps, hazelnut oil

Fish
    Trio of smoked salmon
    rolls of smoked salmon filled with prawn Marie Rose, crayfish, cream cheese and chives served alongside dressed mixed leaves, a wedge of lemon and pan-fried tiger prawns

Sorbet
    Blood orange sorbet

Main
    Roasted Kentish turkey and roasted goose, roast potatoes, sausagemeat stuffing, pig in blanket, and all the festive trimmings

Dessert
    Trio of festive desserts
    homemade Christmas pudding with a brandy cream, dark chocolate and Grand Marnier mousse, warmed cherry and almond tart

Cheese and Biscuits
    A selection of British cheeses served with homemade chutney, grapes, celery, biscuits and bread

Tea and coffee
    with a homemade Christmas shortbread

Boxing Day lunch is a carvery.

I don't think I'll be eating again until New Year :-/

Dang!
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Who knows. I'm going to focus on being less fat after Jan 1st again. I will eat in a deficit on days that are easy to do it, and eat what I want on the others (which for me is wildly overeating without control). Then I'll probably spend a couple days crying and considering therapy because the scale is up. Just being honest here.

Isn't admitting to a problem the first step to self-improvement? :wink:
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    What do you do?

I indulge and enjoy, but work hard to moderate around it all. I usually plan for around a 3-5 pound gain over the holidays, then get it back down quick in the first month of the new year.

That is a marked improvement from the less-healthy me who would gain upwards of 10+ pounds over the holidays and rarely drop the weight.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    Who knows. I'm going to focus on being less fat after Jan 1st again. I will eat in a deficit on days that are easy to do it, and eat what I want on the others (which for me is wildly overeating without control). Then I'll probably spend a couple days crying and considering therapy because the scale is up. Just being honest here.

Yep. I've been admitting it for awhile. I just feel like there is so much "I can eat what I want that day and be fine" and "everything in moderation" posted on these boards. But I KNOW I'm not the only one who has problems with this. I know I'm not the only one who isn't fine and dandy. So I figured I'd be honest.

Honesty is underrated these days. Especially to one's self. So kudos to you!

And you're definitely not alone. I can't do moderation on some things and I end up not being find and dandy (as you so nicely put) and one of the hardest things was admitting it to myself.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options

Yep. I've been admitting it for awhile. I just feel like there is so much "I can eat what I want that day and be fine" and "everything in moderation" posted on these boards. But I KNOW I'm not the only one who has problems with this. I know I'm not the only one who isn't fine and dandy. So I figured I'd be honest.

Honesty is underrated these days. Especially to one's self. So kudos to you!

And you're definitely not alone. I can't do moderation on some things and I end up not being find and dandy (as you so nicely put) and one of the hardest things was admitting it to myself.

It's hard to admit, right? Once I did I got a lot of support from friends, and even realized a few (actually maybe MORE) of my friends on here had similar issues that we kept quiet.

Anyway, food is good. Holidays are good. I will enjoy it all, keep training, and try my best at a little control and be kind to myself if I fail.
  • Lone_wolf46
    Lone_wolf46 Posts: 2,711 Member
    Options
    I'm going to eat, drink and be Merry!
  • RealRelicVa
    RealRelicVa Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Its going to be a Keto Christmas for me, and if there are libations, they shall be of a low carb nature
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    WELL,,,,, I am going to eat everything, then drink everything, and have it all worked off, I like to enjoy the festive time of year!
  • kzooyogi
    kzooyogi Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I follow a plant-based diet, which (thankfully!) naturally keeps my hand out of the cookie jar. However, I totally plan to bake myself some tasty treats for a little Christmas indulgence (vegan pecan pie bars, vegan hot buttered rum, etc.), but then it's back to logging and mindful eating! My family plans to eat lasagna on Christmas day, so I'll make myself a vegan lasagna. Knowing what's in everything, I'll still be able to log! I may go over my calorie goal, but I am committing myself to logging everything accurately!
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I'm looking at it as a diet break. I'd love to have been sticking to my exercise routine but the time for shopping, decorating and extra socializing has to come from somewhere. Without exercise, my tendency is to eat more, and with the goal of being the consummate host, my house is full of treats this time of year.

I firmly believe that as long as you don't let this diet break play some head game on you such that you are too disappointed in yourself to get back to your routine in January, that it has potential to be a good thing in the long run. I've experienced many times the feeling that weight loss was getting difficult, I was hungry but not losing, took a diet break and found it easier again when I got back to it. Personally, I think it's more than just psychological, I think there is some physical processes involved, hormonal or otherwise.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Christmas lunch is:

Starter
    with black truffle foam

Soup

Fish
    Trio of smoked salmon
    rolls of smoked salmon filled with prawn Marie Rose, crayfish, cream cheese and chives served alongside dressed mixed leaves, a wedge of lemon and pan-fried tiger prawns

Sorbet
    Blood orange sorbet

Main
    Roasted Kentish turkey and roasted goose, roast potatoes, sausagemeat stuffing, pig in blanket, and all the festive trimmings

Dessert
    Trio of festive desserts
    homemade Christmas pudding with a brandy cream, dark chocolate and Grand Marnier mousse, warmed cherry and almond tart

Cheese and Biscuits
    A selection of British cheeses served with homemade chutney, grapes, celery, biscuits and bread

Tea and coffee

Dang!

Hah I know, it's crazy! I usually have my mum to stay with me for Christmas, but she had to go into residential care this past summer as her Alzheimer's is so bad now. So, I've booked myself into a lovely hotel near her care home so that I can see her lots over 3 days, and the hotel is putting on this Christmas feast :-)
  • DebraOgston
    DebraOgston Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My plan is to eat, drink, be merry, but to also make an effort to continue to log what I eat (probably more rough estimates, as pulling out the scale in the middle of Christmas festivities could be a bit of a buzz kill for the 14 people I'm hosting) - I'm also hoping to be able to keep up the exercise routine. I am gearing myself up for the shift in mindset that, if I track my food and exercise, even going over my food target - or missing my exercise goal is still a "win"
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Ok, everyone's stuffing sugarplums, goose fat roasties, and stuffing into every orifice.
    What do you do?
    Nut roast and marmite water?
    Full naughty blow out and a trip to the vomitorium?
    The same diet food as usual?

To the bolded: I know you mean this in jest, but posts encouraging binge and purge can be triggering for some. There are a lot of people on this site who are struggling with this very disorder.

Having said that, I personally indulge in all of the wonderful foods that epitomize Christmas for me. I just eat a whole lot less of them than I used to. ;)

And even with good intentions, if I put on a pound or two over the season, meh, no biggie. This time is meant to be enjoyed with family and friends and not fret over every morsel. I'll just get back on the ol' horse after Christmas if need be. :)
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I do exactly the same thing I do every night, Pinky. (Extra cranberry sauce to anyone who gets the reference!) I log my food, and eat whatever I want within my budget.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Christmas lunch is:

Starter
    with black truffle foam

Soup

Fish
    Trio of smoked salmon

Sorbet
    Blood orange sorbet

Main

Dessert
    Trio of festive desserts

Cheese and Biscuits

Tea and coffee

I know where I want to spend Christmas. I'm vegetarian but I will gladly take some of everything else.
  • beamie2687
    beamie2687 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have a VERY condensed Christmas schedule - like most people, I'm sure! I'm flying to my parent's from halfway across the country on the 23rd with my SO. We're staying there the 23-25 (approximately 48 hours - during which time I also have to squeeze in visits with my hometown friends) then we leave on the 25th to head to his family's house 3 hours away where we'll stay til the morning of the 28th.

I'd love to convince his mom that we can leave early on the 26th so it's more even...

Anyway, it's my first year splitting holidays and I'm already a wreck. Add to that the fact that his grandmother passed away last weekend and he's been home (and thus, unable to help me pack, shop, or watch HIS dog) for the past two weeks and I'm already a mess.

So, to answer you're question - I'm taking it easy. I'm pretending it's "eating intuitively" and I'm making sure to log in to MFP every day, even if I don't log anything. Then I'm going to eat what I want in moderation and try to enjoy the tiny amount of free time I have.