Ectomorph, mesomorph, endomorph

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited December 2016
    ktfranke wrote: »
    I do use a food scale to weight my meats, breads, etc. and try to log as accurately as possible. I'm not going to starve myself any more then I already am, so I guess I'll just be content with 23%bf and slowly change my body comp through strength training.

I apologize for my sarcasm @trigden1991. I just don't like being treated like I'm stupid.

A recomp might be your best option. What kind of workout program are you following? How much protein?

Also, take into consideration that calculators or their inputs can be wrong. Look back at your average intake over the month and that is probably your actual maintenance.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    I'd agree that recomp should work better for you. You are at a good weight. Your deficit should be small when you have little to lose. .5 lb/week.
    I do eat bread & ice cream regularly. The bread is whole wheat & 80 cal/slice. I might eat 2 pieces daily. I eat Edy's Slow
    Churned ice cream which has half the calories but tastes great. I weigh my portion. When I had refeed days the were carb & fat refeeds but I still kept my calories at my deficit level. Most of the week I don't eat breakfast, eat fewer carbs at lunch and eat most of my carbs for dinner & snacks. It works well for me. I'm very consistent with my diet & workouts. If I go in vacation & eat way more bread & sweets unrestricted , yes, I gain fat.
  • laceyn18
    laceyn18 Posts: 27 Member
    laceyn18 wrote: »
    Anyone, especially female, who thinks they gain muscle quickly or easily is grossly mistaken.

I gain muscle pretty easily on my lower body and I am female. I don't think this is all that abnormal.

An untrained female could hope to gain 1lb of muscle per month in the first year of training and less as they become more trained. Your legs may get bigger and stronger but muscle is not easily built by females.

Not trying be argumentative, actual question. If you're not gaining muscle then why do your legs get bigger (assuming you're not putting on fat)? I'm not talking about strength gains. I get increased strength does not equate to muscle gains and I get fat loss makes muscles appear bigger and more defined. I'm talking straight increase in size, inches.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    I took a sneak peek at your food diary, you need to weigh everything in which you do not. Your fish weigh exactly the same each time and the sweet potato was measured with cup measures. Food scale is your problem, fix that and you will be golden. :)

There are a bunch of "generic" recipe type entries too, which are bound to be inaccurate. Your daily calories seem to fluctuating anywhere from 1400-2000. You are already lean, so little stuff can make a big difference! Tighten up your logging, limit the higher cal days (after the holidays are over of course!) and see what happens, which will hopefully be slow but steady progress. And sometimes you do have to weigh your goals against what you are willing to do for them. Hope you find the sweet spot!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Anyone, especially female, who thinks they gain muscle quickly or easily is grossly mistaken.

I gain muscle pretty easily on my lower body and I am female. I don't think this is all that abnormal.

An untrained female could hope to gain 1lb of muscle per month in the first year of training and less as they become more trained. Your legs may get bigger and stronger but muscle is not easily built by females.

Not trying be argumentative, actual question. If you're not gaining muscle then why do your legs get bigger (assuming you're not putting on fat)? I'm not talking about strength gains. I get increased strength does not equate to muscle gains and I get fat loss makes muscles appear bigger and more defined. I'm talking straight increase in size, inches.

How much bigger. When you train hard, your muscles will draw in fluid to aid the muscle repair process. So i know when i train legs hard, my pants do get a bit tight in the thighs.
  • ktfranke
    ktfranke Posts: 217 Member
    Thanks @queenliz99 & @kimny72 I appreciate your constructive advice! I'll definitely work on that! Thanks for taking the time to look at my dairy ;)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    I am a mutant-morph ...
  • ndj1979
    I definitely think that health and fitness is very individualistic. Every person has there own genetic makeup, there own hormone levels, there own metabolisms... and not everyone is going to respond the same way to the same foods or workouts. People have intolerances, people have food allergies, and disabilities, people have there own individual obstacles they need to overcome in order to succeed.

I'm still dabbling in different things to figure out what clicks. I've definitely seen big results with resistance training, and am enjoying seeing my body composition slowly changing. But when it comes to fat loss, cutting calories and having the occasion refeed day, just isn't doing it for me. So many people keep telling me, "you can eat cake and ice cream everyday as long as it fits within your daily calories and macros," and that just simply isn't true for me. I've weighed my food, I've logged as accurately as possible, and yet I don't get results.

That's why I started looking into being an endomorph. And part of their genetic discription is that we can't get away with eating whatever we want. when we cheat, it shows immediately on the scale - which is true for me.

All that to say.... I'm not going to completely rule it out... there may be some bits of truth behind it, just like every other diet fad. Whether it be supplements, ketosis, carb cycling, you name it... the reason why it's become a thing, is because it's worked for some people. But I definitely don't think that your "body type," should be an excuse to complain or be lazy. But I do think it gives us a better idea of what we're working with.

where do people come up with this stuff?

• ndj1979
    serapel wrote: »

You must be jealous of people that can actually gain easily lol

gaining weight does not equal gaining muscle ...so one that gains weight easily does not automatically gain muscle easily...
  • ndj1979

water retention for muscle repair would be one...
  • ndj1979
    kimny72 wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    I took a sneak peek at your food diary, you need to weigh everything in which you do not. Your fish weigh exactly the same each time and the sweet potato was measured with cup measures. Food scale is your problem, fix that and you will be golden. :)

There are a bunch of "generic" recipe type entries too, which are bound to be inaccurate. Your daily calories seem to fluctuating anywhere from 1400-2000. You are already lean, so little stuff can make a big difference! Tighten up your logging, limit the higher cal days (after the holidays are over of course!) and see what happens, which will hopefully be slow but steady progress. And sometimes you do have to weigh your goals against what you are willing to do for them. Hope you find the sweet spot!

this ...if you are off 250 calories a day that can equal a half pound loss a week just by tightening up logging.
  • ktfranke
    @psuLemon Right now I'm doing a program called "live to Fail" by Ben Booker. He focuses on lighter weights, higher reps, with the occasional superset. It's broken up into Arms, Legs, bi's & tri's, chest & back, shoulders & abs! I'm currently using 15lbs as my "heavy" weight and 10lbs as my lighter weight. (Some days I'll go to my friends gym and use the squat rack and bar to lift heavier.) and my HIIT days I usually do Tabata/plyo type cardio.

My average day, I get somewhere around 145g of protein. Carbs/fats tend to fluctuate. I was restricting fats (32g) for a time to see if that helped, but have recently decided to try reducing carbs by increasing my fats to 65g.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member

Water retention, fat and some muscle. In a surplus you'll always gain fat and for women, they gain fat than muscle.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    for those who believe that somatypes have to do with your ability to gain,lose or gain muscle heres a link(there are others out there as well)http://users.rider.edu/~suler/somato.html someone just took it and applied it to fitness or what have you,if we all had types I would fall into all 3 categories in some way or another,which is why its bunk.It had to do with body types and personality
  • dfc4
    dfc4 Posts: 109 Member
    edited December 2016
    They gain fat than muscle?????
    Lets see some scientific evidence on that one please!!! :)
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    @psuLemon Right now I'm doing a program called "live to Fail" by Ben Booker. He focuses on lighter weights, higher reps, with the occasional superset. It's broken up into Arms, Legs, bi's & tri's, chest & back, shoulders & abs! I'm currently using 15lbs as my "heavy" weight and 10lbs as my lighter weight. (Some days I'll go to my friends gym and use the squat rack and bar to lift heavier.) and my HIIT days I usually do Tabata/plyo type cardio.

My average day, I get somewhere around 145g of protein. Carbs/fats tend to fluctuate. I was restricting fats (32g) for a time to see if that helped, but have recently decided to try reducing carbs by increasing my fats to 65g.

How many reps are those? Cause that is awefully light to use for everything.
  • ktfranke
    edited December 2016
    @stevencloser 12-15 reps! 4 sets