Ectomorph, mesomorph, endomorph

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    ktfranke wrote: »
    @stevencloser 12-15 reps! 4 sets

i would suggest looking into strong lifts, all pro beginner, or maybe strong curves...if you feel you are more intermediate then PHUL might be a good place to start...
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member

Is that 12-15 but you could do 25? Or is 12-15 close to failure?
  • ktfranke
    ktfranke Posts: 217 Member
    Thanks for the tip @ndj1979!

Depending on the muscle group, it's to failure @hornsby :blush: my Arnold presses and tricep extensions are pretty week sauce! Lol! Anything dealing with arms or shoulders is new for me. With back, chest and legs I could go heavier for sure!
  • dfc4
    dfc4 Posts: 109 Member
    12- 15 Reps is somewhere between Muscle building & strength stamina.
    either stick to 8 -12 and up the weight or 15 -20
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited December 2016
    dfc4 wrote: »

So if i pick 12....then I get Muscle Building Strength Stamina, since it's right in the sweet spot?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Thanks for the tip @ndj1979!

Depending on the muscle group, it's to failure @hornsby :blush: my Arnold presses and tricep extensions are pretty week sauce! Lol! Anything dealing with arms or shoulders is new for me. With back, chest and legs I could go heavier for sure!

Try to use weights that leave you at close to failure (one in the tank left) on each exercise.
  • ktfranke
    ktfranke Posts: 217 Member
    Thanks for the tip @dfc4!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member

So if i pick 12....then I get Muscle Building Strength Stamina, since it's right in the sweet spot?

LOL Bro Science @LolBroScience

@ktfranke ..get a decent programme that has progression built in ...you've already taken on the calorie advice which was a good move
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    They gain fat than muscle?????
    Lets see some scientific evidence on that one please!!! :)

I think @trigden1991 meant more fat than muscle. :)

OP, you said you're using 15 lb dumbbells for "heavy" and 10 lb dumbbells for "lighter". Does that mean you're only moving 10 lbs more with your legs than you are with your triceps? That doesn't sound nearly challenging enough, especially if the leg movements are compound (like squats). You mentioned you can squat the bar. I'd say go as heavy as you can on each exercise while still completing your sets... Or throw the program out the window and look into something with more progression built into it. ndj1979 mentioned some good ones.
  • serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    rybo wrote: »
    So while the somatotype thing has been shown to be irrelevant, threads like this crack me up with narrow minded views on body types and variability among people to look a certain way and/or gain muscle at different rates.

yeah...women are not allowed to say that they can gain muscle easily. and a pound of muscle IS a lot on a body. after 6 months of training, the average newbie woman could gain 4-6 lbs of muscle. that is AMAZING. they would look different for sure.
  • serapel
    I do use a food scale to weight my meats, breads, etc. and try to log as accurately as possible. I'm not going to starve myself any more then I already am, so I guess I'll just be content with 23%bf and slowly change my body comp through strength training.

I apologize for my sarcasm @trigden1991. I just don't like being treated like I'm stupid.

atta girl!!!! good for you. recomp works great too.
  • serapel

Water retention, fat and some muscle. In a surplus you'll always gain fat and for women, they gain fat than muscle.

You're really an inspiration for us females. Keep on inspiring us with your optimism. It's so helpful.

Let's keep having a "I'm better than you" tone while we're at it too..
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    @psuLemon Right now I'm doing a program called "live to Fail" by Ben Booker. He focuses on lighter weights, higher reps, with the occasional superset. It's broken up into Arms, Legs, bi's & tri's, chest & back, shoulders & abs! I'm currently using 15lbs as my "heavy" weight and 10lbs as my lighter weight. (Some days I'll go to my friends gym and use the squat rack and bar to lift heavier.) and my HIIT days I usually do Tabata/plyo type cardio.

My average day, I get somewhere around 145g of protein. Carbs/fats tend to fluctuate. I was restricting fats (32g) for a time to see if that helped, but have recently decided to try reducing carbs by increasing my fats to 65g.

How many reps are those? Cause that is awefully light to use for everything.

I agree with that, those are light. I wouldn't classify 10lb weights as strength training, necessarily. I'm kind of scrawny and still started with 50lb on a bar for things using both hands. But if you have those dumbells, use 'em, rock on, all exercise is good for you. You can cross them and put them in one hand if you need to up the weight. And if it's a step on the way to heavier weight, that's progressive. I would *not* count on little dumbells to add muscle though, bodyweight exercise would be heavier, pushups and stuff like that.

• serapel
    edited December 2016

I agree that you are not lifting enough weight and your reps are too high.

I'll show you my program and I have been getting great results. A Tana scan from April until now shows I have gained 4 lbs of muscle and it looks fab. I started out with much lighter weight in April.

Day 1:

Band work - side lying clams, monster walks, etc. (fire up the legs and glutes)
    Barbell Hip Thrust: 205 lbs 3 sets of 7; 135 lbs 3 sets of 19, 17, 15
    Reverse Back Extension: 25 lbs set of 30
    Cable Pull Through: 135 lbs 3 sets of 10
    Curtsey Squat: 50 lbs 3 sets of 10
    Cable Goblet Squat: pulling 80 lbs 3 sets of 12
    Hip Abduction: 110 lbs 2 sets of 50
    Reverse Thigh Abduction: 75 lbs 3 sets of 15
    Cable kick backs - 30 lbs 2 sets of 20
    Morning Glories or deadlifts or quadrupled leg lift using leg press machine....alternating...

Then I crash on the floor and say WTF!!!

Day 2:
    Chest press: 60 lbs 3 sets of 8
    Chest flies: 70 lbs 3 sets of 8
    Bent-Over Barbell Deadlift - 90 lbs 3 sets of 8
    Single-Arm Dumbbell Row - 35 lbs 3 sets of 9
    Chin ups (assisted with 100 lbs) - 3 sets of 8
    Low Row - 70 lbs 3 sets of 10
    Dumbbell Pull Over - 35 lbs 3 sets of 10

Then I repeat day 1 and day 2 for a total of 4 workout days.

In order to build muscle, you need volume and heavy weights. Your weights are very light :wink:
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,262 Member
    They gain fat than muscle?????
    Lets see some scientific evidence on that one please!!! :)

I think @trigden1991 meant more fat than muscle. :)

What do you mean by this? I have always read that women gain weight more slowly, but never that we gain more fat than do men.
  • serapel
    edited December 2016
    ndj1979 wrote: »

i would suggest looking into strong lifts, all pro beginner, or maybe strong curves...if you feel you are more intermediate then PHUL might be a good place to start...

Strong Curves is what got me going. Google Bret Contreras...he's the man and has tons of videos to learn from.

So many great programs out there.
  • serapel
    edited December 2016

Yes I will be better than you when it comes to building muscle because I am a male and we have higher levels of testosterone.

Well aren't you so special. And 4 lbs of muscle is not nothing. It looks great on a woman's body.