Help! Plateau/weight loss stoppage

Options
Help please,
I started dieting 2 months ago. I started off at 328lbs The first month i lost a wopping 26 lbs. as of 3 weeks ago i was 302, weighed in this morning again 302. I have been eating approximately 1500 calories a day, started walking for 40 minutes(2 miles) 3 times a week. I have increased my water intake tried increasing calorie intake to 1800 for a few days. I have lost Nothing in 3 weeks.
My daily intake is breakfast(3 eggs, turkey, swiss omelette) lunch(300 cal protein bar) dinner (300 cal of meat, and 50-100 cal of vegtables). I have not been feeling Hungry, very saited. I Do not snack at all or pick at anything, for fear of gaining back a pound.
I havnt had a beer in 2 months(I brew Beer and its a Staple of my life) no junk food, I even managed to eat 2000 calories for the day on Thanksgiving. I am trying to lose the weight to be around for my family(4kids, wife).
I want to lose soo bad lately and staying so strict is great and all but if i dont see a weight change soon, I know i will fall off the bandwagon and just say F* it.

I dont know what to do.

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    You are eating too many calories.

Get a food scale and start tracking more accurately.
  • denato1
    denato1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I weigh Every gram that touches my face. I have been extremely careful. thats whats got me bothered
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I agree with getting a food scale. Eggs can vary in size. How much meat is 300 calories of meat? Without weighing it, you can't really know. Also, is the meat cooked in anything? Oil, butter? What about the veggies?

That said, it's possible that you lost a lot of water weight with your first whoosh (which is normal), and your body is now adjusting to the change in diet and you could actually still be losing fat without it showing on the scale.

It's also important to realize that weight loss isn't linear. Here is a good thread to read through: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear/p1

The food scale will be a staple for you - you should definitely get one. You may be shocked at how much you've actually been eating!

And weighing your food to make your logging more accurate might help you realize that you can fit in a beer here and there, or a snack, or whatever. As long as you're consistently in a deficit, you will lose.

Just stay the course and be patient. You'll do fine.

*Edit: I posted this before I saw where OP said he uses a food scale. I will not delete that info, but just thought I'd throw that out there.

I think OP should focus on the sentiment that weight loss is not linear, and as someone mentioned below, his journey is going to be a long one, so having some patience and not wanting to give up after 3 weeks is going to be extremely important for him.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    denato1 wrote: »
    I weigh Every gram that touches my face. I have been extremely careful. thats whats got me bothered

I'm sorry, but a plateau does not happen within the first two months of dieting, especially with someone who is morbidly obese. The most likely scenario is that you are eating more calories than you believe you are OR you are inconsistently consuming low calories.

Take a step back and re-evaluate what you have been eating and what you intend to eat over the next few days. Very simple logging mistakes can set you back tremendously. Give it another 3-4 weeks. Still haven't lost anything? Lower your calories.

Also, i can only hope the "I am just going to give up" kind of attitude is just a comment stemming from frustration and not reality. This is definitely not the mindset you want to have if you want to have long-term success.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    There's an odd fact that when you are heavier you require more calories. So for instance, as you lose weight, you should re-calculate your caloric needs for your deficit every 5 lbs of loss. The reason for this is the fact that someone who weighs five pounds less requires less calories. Some people fail to re-calculate and end up in a plateau.

An example would be that someone who's TDEE at their current weight is 2500 calories (likely obese unless they are really tall). A deficit of 500 calories a day would allow them to eat 2000 calories a day and lose 1lb a week. However, as they lose weight their TDEE will reduce, so that 500 calorie a day deficit slowly goes away unless you re-adjust. Also, if you're not tracking sodium you should be. The reason for this is that high sodium diets will make you retain water. If you're not drinking enough water your body will carry around quite a bit of weight because of the extra sodium. Drink more water and watch the pre-packaged foods you consume. Someone eating 2000 calories a day would have more sodium in their diet by default than someone who is eating 1200 calories a day simply because they eat more food. Sodium is in darn near everything in varying degrees.

Re-calculate, add more exercise, and don't give up. Remember a plateau is actually not losing weight over a period of 6 weeks or more. Sometimes your body will simply fight losses and there's nothing you can do about it but wait it out. In the meantime, use other calculators around the web and re-calculate based on your current stats. Adjust MFP's settings manually if you have to. I did.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,114 Member
    Options
    While there is a margin of error for calories, at 1500 or even 1800 you should still be at a deficit, especially at over 300 pounds. There is the possibility you are eating far more than you think you are, so it might be wise to make sure database entries you are using are accurate--generic, homemade, and the like are not good to use. The other possibility, although it is not super likely with walking, is that if you increased your activity lately you may be retaining water. If you have muscle soreness this is even more likely. Realize though, this is not very likely with walking be your activity of choice.

Finally, with as much as you have to lose, a large deficit is fine. In other words, if 1500 calories satisfies you, you can probably stick with it for a while.

At this point if you are very sure that you are not only getting the correct weight for everything you eat, but also that you are using the correct database entries, then it is a matter of patience.
  • JamestheLiar
    JamestheLiar Posts: 148 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I agree with getting a food scale. Eggs can vary in size. How much meat is 300 calories of meat? Without weighing it, you can't really know. Also, is the meat cooked in anything? Oil, butter? What about the veggies?

That said, it's possible that you lost a lot of water weight with your first whoosh (which is normal), and your body is now adjusting to the change in diet and you could actually still be losing fat without it showing on the scale.

It's also important to realize that weight loss isn't linear. Here is a good thread to read through: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear/p1

The food scale will be a staple for you - you should definitely get one. You may be shocked at how much you've actually been eating!

And weighing your food to make your logging more accurate might help you realize that you can fit in a beer here and there, or a snack, or whatever. As long as you're consistently in a deficit, you will lose.

I suggest that you really meditate on what I've bolded in the above quote. I know the stuff about food scale doesn't really apply, but the bolded stuff is wisdom that could help you get through this.

Sounds to me like you're being careful, and have already seen some success. If you're sure that you are in a deficit, then the weight will start coming off again soon. It's a fact of science. Until then, there are a couple of things that have helped me through the same type of situation ...
    1. You didn't mention exercise ... if you're not doing it yet, try to get your heart pumping for some intentional exercise a few times per week. I'm talking about a brisk walk, something like that ... but brisk is the key word. This will change your life.
    2. I enjoy logging my weight daily and tracking a 7 day weighted average (google it if necessary). I consider the weighted average number my actual weight, and that has helped me hold on to my sanity through the weeks that seem to be stalling.
    3. You didn't mention how or when you weigh yourself. I suggest you do it in the morning after you've visited the bathroom wearing as little as possible.

Edited after more carefully reading the OP. Sheesh
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Unless you are weighing and tracking your food, you do not know how many calories you are consuming. At 300+lbs you should be dropping weight easily so you are obviously consuming too many calories.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Don't lose sight of your goal. You've loss 26 lbs already.

Now, first off, I would begin daily weigh ins and use a trending app like Happy Scale for iOS or Weight Trend for android. It's possible if you are only weighing yourself periodically that what you are seeing is a fluctuation in weight due to water retention so you have loss weight you just aren't seeing it.

If you say you are weighing your food, I believe you. I would double check nutritional information against the USDA's database. Some entries in MFP are incorrect. Is there anything you aren't weighing or measuring ? Condiments, lunch meat, etc? Don't trust the weight / serving it says on prepackaged foods always weigh yourself.

I'd also look back over your log and see if you're consuming more sodium lately than you were previously. Could very well be water weight.

Lastly, you don't have to be super, super "strict" to lose weight. I've tried that before myself several times and it gets hard and you will cave. Just eat the foods you enjoy in moderation. Make them fit into your calories and your macros. Don't tell yourself no, just say "not today" if it can't fit.

This is a journey not a race. Don't get discouraged.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,114 Member
    Options
    Unless you are weighing and tracking your food, you do not know how many calories you are consuming. At 300+lbs you should be dropping weight easily so you are obviously consuming too many calories.

OP said in a reply that they are weighing everything. Giving the benefit of the doubt, it may be other factors masking fat loss, inaccurate database choices, or something else not mentioned in the original post or follow up responses. As you likely know, there are often other factors that would have answered the question if given at the beginning which people only mention later after the discussion has progressed.

To the OP, opening your diary for public viewing might help in this case. Please consider it.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    OP has already said he uses a food scale, folks, so we can probably move beyond that.
    If it's been 3 weeks or less, it could just be your body readjusting. Weight loss isn't linear, so that does happen sometimes. The lbs per week is just an average - it's unlikely you'll see lbs come off the scale like clockwork every week, despite your best efforts. Just be patient, and if nothing this week, maybe try reevaluating your calorie goal, increasing activity a bit if you can, and make sure you are selecting correct entries in the database when you track. MFP database is user maintained, and there are a ton of incorrect entries in it. This also includes the green checkmarked "verified" entries and the barcode scanning. Double check everything!
    Good luck OP!
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    ... it's possible that you lost a lot of water weight with your first whoosh (which is normal), and your body is now adjusting to the change in diet and you could actually still be losing fat without it showing on the scale.

OP, you lost 26 pounds in 2 months! That is 3 pounds a week and is extremely successful!

What likely has happened is what is bolded in post above ^

You probably lost a combination of water and fat in the first month. Then the body kept losing fat, but you gained back water, so it looked like you haven't lost, but you have. Your body is stabilizing. Keep going at 1500 pcalories since you aren't hungry and be happy for a 1-2 pound a week loss on average.

Don't worry about stalls or minor fluctuations. It will all even out in the end. Most of all, don't throw in the towel. You have been extremely successful and want to keep the momentum. You might be one of the people who, lose, stall, lose, etc as weight loss is not linear as pointed out and posted by others. Keep going!

(Edited typos)
  • denato1
    Options
    Unlocked my diary, this week I have tried increasing calories to see if it was because I was too low. MFP reccommends 2k cal a day. A lot of the online calculators recommend between 2k and 2200 calories a day. I started low figuring I could creep if I was hungry but I have not been hungry and I refuse to "snack". Afraid I may over do it or binge if I do
  • Grammytryingtogetfit
    Options
    I just happened to look at your diary and you are already over in your sodium. When I log bacon, it comes up as 80 calories a piece, yours comes up at 40 calories a piece. That's a big difference right there.....
  • denato1
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I had 4 slices, I doubled what I listed because I did not trust the calorie count. I tend to add a few extra calories when I figure it out because I assume the app is always low. I try to stick with turkey but figured I need to use up some calories today. Didn't bring lunch so no food till dinner.
    Thanks for looking, any help is appreciated
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I just happened to look at your diary and you are already over in your sodium. When I log bacon, it comes up as 80 calories a piece, yours comes up at 40 calories a piece. That's a big difference right there.....

Really depends on type of bacon. I have some that is 70 calories per serving, some that is 90 calories per serving, etc.

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    The entries for things like "turkey" and "chicken" are not specific and could very well be inaccurate. Are you weighing it cooked or raw?

Here is a comparison of cooked vs. raw:

p2ml5hwpezw1.jpg

tipkmlqldx2q.jpg

You need to make sure you are choosing the correct entries for the specific food that you are weighing.

Some good sites for double-checking entries:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/

https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list

It seems like a lot, but once you log the foods once, they will be there forever. So if you have it again a couple days later, you can choose it from your recent foods and just adjust the amount you've eaten.

*Edit to add: If you feel like the nutrition info on a packaged food is incorrect, you can create the food in "My Foods" and put the serving in grams (which is always listed next to the generic serving size on the nutrition label) and use that as your entry. Just weigh it in grams and adjust the serving size as needed.
  • Grammytryingtogetfit
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Really depends on type of bacon. I have some that is 70 calories per serving, some that is 90 calories per serving, etc.

Thanks Jemhh, Just goes to show that there are a lot of inaccurate entries in MFP.....and that we need to be more careful in logging.