I always have lots of calories left before bed. Im just not hungry. Is it okay?

Options

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    If people actually are anemic - as oppossed to self diagnosing or wanting a catch all multi vitamin just in case - then multi vitamins with iron are useless.

They contain far less iron than is actually needed for treating anemia.

People with anemia should take an iron specific product - and check how much iron it actually has. Ones like Ferrograd or FGF are good- herbal health shop or supermarket ones not so much.

But you can easily compare iron amounts in them and see this yourself
    and then if you need a multi vitamin, take that separately.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    If people actually are anemic - as oppossed to self diagnosing or wanting a catch all multi vitamin just in case - then multi vitamins with iron are useless.

They contain far less iron than is actually needed for treating anemia.

People with anemia should take an iron specific product - and check how much iron it actually has. Ones like Ferrograd or FGF are good- herbal health shop or supermarket ones not so much.

But you can easily compare iron amounts in them and see this yourself
    and then if you need a multi vitamin, take that separately.
    well when someone cant take prescribed iron even in a low dose, a multivitamin with one,especially when their diet isnt the greatest has to be better than none.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    Well, yes, I guess it is better than nothing.

However from a medical point of view, if one really needs iron supplement and cannot take oral - the option would be iron infusion - not taking much less oral iron.
  • rikkejanell2014
    rikkejanell2014 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    LenGray wrote: »
    Do you weigh your food with a food scale? If not, there's a good chance that you might be eating more than you think. A food scale is only about $10 and is a great tool that is far more accurate than eyeballing and measuring cups for beginners. Be aware that cobbler will make you sad.

Also, have you made a drastic switch in regards to what you're eating? For example, instead of a bacon cheeseburger for lunch, you're eating a shredded chicken salad or instead of drinking soda, you're drinking water? It could be that you're eating the same volume, just lower calorie things. If you're below your calorie limit, perhaps try gradually adding in some of the more calorie dense things you enjoy.

Do you occasionally have days were you eat a large amount over your set calories? Such as on weekends, holidays, visiting family, etc? I've found that when I eat a lot, I'm less hungry over the next few days, resulting in lower calorie days, which I then make up for the next time I decide to splurge.

Are these extra calories the ones that MFP says you're burning through exercise? For example, you're set at 1,240 and you burn 400, making your net 1,640 but you can only eat 1,440 so you have 200 'left over'? It's recommended to only eat back about half of your calories due to the possibility of over-estimation. By that standard, you'd be eating the 'right' amount.

All in all, yes, it's okay. However, you should be aware of why you're not hungry and how that will affect you and your goals.

For me, if I go about a week eating below my set amount of calories (without it being planned, such as in the case I made above), I end up ravenous the next week and eat all of those calories and then some because I'm so hungry-- an act which makes me annoyed with myself. So, it's healthier for me to eat those 'extra' calories whether I'm hungry or not.

Yes i weigh my food
  • rikkejanell2014
    Options
    LenGray wrote: »
    Do you weigh your food with a food scale? If not, there's a good chance that you might be eating more than you think. A food scale is only about $10 and is a great tool that is far more accurate than eyeballing and measuring cups for beginners. Be aware that cobbler will make you sad.

Also, have you made a drastic switch in regards to what you're eating? For example, instead of a bacon cheeseburger for lunch, you're eating a shredded chicken salad or instead of drinking soda, you're drinking water? It could be that you're eating the same volume, just lower calorie things. If you're below your calorie limit, perhaps try gradually adding in some of the more calorie dense things you enjoy.

Do you occasionally have days were you eat a large amount over your set calories? Such as on weekends, holidays, visiting family, etc? I've found that when I eat a lot, I'm less hungry over the next few days, resulting in lower calorie days, which I then make up for the next time I decide to splurge.

Are these extra calories the ones that MFP says you're burning through exercise? For example, you're set at 1,240 and you burn 400, making your net 1,640 but you can only eat 1,440 so you have 200 'left over'? It's recommended to only eat back about half of your calories due to the possibility of over-estimation. By that standard, you'd be eating the 'right' amount.

All in all, yes, it's okay. However, you should be aware of why you're not hungry and how that will affect you and your goals.

For me, if I go about a week eating below my set amount of calories (without it being planned, such as in the case I made above), I end up ravenous the next week and eat all of those calories and then some because I'm so hungry-- an act which makes me annoyed with myself. So, it's healthier for me to eat those 'extra' calories whether I'm hungry or not.

Yes i weigh my food

haven't gone over my calorie intake since I started 27 days ago
  • rikkejanell2014
    Options
    dogemeat wrote: »
    You're free to eat as you see fit. But how did you ever gain the weight in the first place with an paltry appetite like that?

Personally, I find that exercise suppresses appetite. I assume there are others who work the same way.

Fast food and soda and no exercise. Oh and 4 kids.
  • rikkejanell2014
    Options
    If you are not hungry, don't eat. Simple.

The problem is it is quite possible to not be hungry while still undereatin, and undereating is not good for you.

On the other hand, it's possible OP is eating more than they realise or burning less than they think.

OP, how long have you been doing this? How much weight have you lost? If you are losing weight more quickly than you planned, then you should try to eat those calories. If you are really struggling to do that, can you give a little detail on your diet? Perhaps you are eating too many very filling foods and need to adjust it a little to make sure you are getting the energy you need.

On the other hand, if you're not losing too fast, it means either your food logging or calorie burns are not accurate, and you can work on making them more so.

Of course, if you've only been doing this a short time then it may not yet be possible to tell.

Today is day 27. my appetite slow down like the last 2 weeksmy starting weight was 2:07 I'm now 198
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

However from a medical point of view, if one really needs iron supplement and cannot take oral - the option would be iron infusion - not taking much less oral iron.

yeah and I dont know where that could be done. I dont think the drs offices here do that
  • Cave_Goose
    Cave_Goose Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Personally, I find that exercise suppresses appetite. I assume there are others who work the same way.

Just did a 2-hour bike ride, and all I could think about the last 30 minutes was food! (and I had a banana on the ride). Came home and ate a guilt-free stack of pancakes with butter and maple syrup.

Running's the same. Never met a marathoner who didn't fixate on food during their long run.
  • paperpudding
    Options

yeah and I dont know where that could be done. I dont think the drs offices here do that

Well obviously i dont know about how the medical system where you live works - am just stating what medical best option would be.

Where I live it is done as a day procedure in hospital - takes about an hour.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Cave_Goose wrote: »

Just did a 2-hour bike ride, and all I could think about the last 30 minutes was food! (and I had a banana on the ride). Came home and ate a guilt-free stack of pancakes with butter and maple syrup.

Running's the same. Never met a marathoner who didn't fixate on food during their long run.

It's individual I think, but I *never* think about food during my long runs. They kill my appetite. I usually am starving the next day, but I have to sometimes force myself to eat after a long run.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options

You can't find a multi with iron and your local docs can't perform an infusion? Exactly where are you?
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    If exercise suppressed my appetite, I'd be set. :p

I've honestly (last night) hit the treadmill thinking I can burn a couple hundred calories for a snack or a drink and, when I'm done, be happy with water.

I don't think I'm right in the head.....

Immediately after exercise I'm not hungry. But 2-3 hours later? Bottomless pit.

• richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Cave_Goose wrote: »

It's individual I think, but I *never* think about food during my long runs. They kill my appetite. I usually am starving the next day, but I have to sometimes force myself to eat after a long run.

I don't have trouble eating after a long run, but anything over 8 miles, and I generally don't eat enough over the course of the day to break even. I also found that as I needed to increase calories, it was easier for me to add snacks throughout the day vs. increasing the size of individual meals (Quest bar, Protein shake, Cereal/Milk at night)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

Well obviously i dont know about how the medical system where you live works - am just stating what medical best option would be.

Where I live it is done as a day procedure in hospital - takes about an hour.

yeah I know you know nothing about where I live. I was just saying. they would probably send her to a bigger hospital. this one isnt the greatest for a lot of reasons and they cant do a lot of what the bigger ones can. just the downside to living in a rural area
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

You can't find a multi with iron and your local docs can't perform an infusion? Exactly where are you?

I live in a rural area of wv and no,NONE of the stores carry a multivitamin with iron in it. I checked ALL the labels of the ones the stores sell,.I checked walmart,kroger, my local drug store,cvs and the 2 dollar stores we have. as for the doctors doing something like that I dont know, I have NEVER heard of it being done around here. not to mention not sure if my daughters insurance would cover it.
  • Mary_Anastasia
    Mary_Anastasia Posts: 267 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    You're free to eat as you see fit. But how did you ever gain the weight in the first place with an paltry appetite like that?

Exercise makes me lose my appetite. Kills any sex drive. Makes me sort of downtrodden and quiet.
    My ex was the opposite. After a workout together or during hiking trips, I'd go from excitable, bouncy and sassy to crankily mute and sick feeling. He'd go from tired and unamused to hungry, turned on, and talkative.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Advice: Take a multivitamin with iron daily.
    Approval: Not offered.

just wanted to say do you know how hard it is to find a multivitamin with iron in it lately? not to mention if someone needs to take iron they should make sure they are deficient in it first and have a dr tell them how much to take. otherwise it could cause issues.

I seem to have a harder time finding one without. I find the supplements containing iron to have some unappreciated side effects.

I have the opposite issue. I read the labels and none I can buy in the stores have iron in them,except for kids vitamins.

Have you looked at the prenatal vitamins? When I was looking for a higher-iron multivitamin, I found them to be my best bet. (Which, happily, meant I was taking them for a couple of years before I got pregnant.)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Advice: Take a multivitamin with iron daily.
    Approval: Not offered.

just wanted to say do you know how hard it is to find a multivitamin with iron in it lately? not to mention if someone needs to take iron they should make sure they are deficient in it first and have a dr tell them how much to take. otherwise it could cause issues.

I seem to have a harder time finding one without. I find the supplements containing iron to have some unappreciated side effects.

I have the opposite issue. I read the labels and none I can buy in the stores have iron in them,except for kids vitamins.

Have you looked at the prenatal vitamins? When I was looking for a higher-iron multivitamin, I found them to be my best bet. (Which, happily, meant I was taking them for a couple of years before I got pregnant.)

no I havent really.never thought to look at those labels
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

I live in a rural area of wv and no,NONE of the stores carry a multivitamin with iron in it. I checked ALL the labels of the ones the stores sell,.I checked walmart,kroger, my local drug store,cvs and the 2 dollar stores we have. as for the doctors doing something like that I dont know, I have NEVER heard of it being done around here. not to mention not sure if my daughters insurance would cover it.

You could always order it. Walmart has it's own Women's multi that has iron.

I'm sure there are others, too.