What rate can someone lose at.

Options

Replies

• robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Also the smaller or lighter you are the less calories it takes to maintain your weight so the deficit gets smaller thus weight loss takes longer.

This is also true, the margin of error is smaller when you can't knock 500 or 1,000 kcal off each day because it wouldn't leave you with enough to keep your body healthy.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »
    nowine4me wrote: »
    I know one is leaner, blah blah, but how does ones BODY knows that you are on the last 10 pounds? It baffles me.

Anyway, it WILL slow down and probably not according to your plan. You're doing great, just don't get discouraged when that happens.

It's not that it knows, it's more that you are smaller so a pound is proportionately more. So if you are a really short lady trying to get from 100lb to 80lb, it will take longer than a big man trying to get from 200 to 180.

I'm so glad for this thread, because I was wondering about the phrase "stubborn pounds." I guess there is such a thing, and one can expect it to be harder near the end? (I want to get to 125 from 146.)

In a way, that's why I picked the goal I did (220 lbs, still overweight). While I probably won't have that as an end goal, if I get there in 2017 I will be thrilled. Down from there can take 5 yrs for all I care, getting there will be a huge milestone and mean 1/3 of my body weight gone. But it also should mean I don't have an issue with the stubborn pounds before my goal.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »
    I know one is leaner, blah blah, but how does ones BODY knows that you are on the last 10 pounds? It baffles me.

Anyway, it WILL slow down and probably not according to your plan. You're doing great, just don't get discouraged when that happens.

It's not that it knows, it's more that you are smaller so a pound is proportionately more. So if you are a really short lady trying to get from 100lb to 80lb, it will take longer than a big man trying to get from 200 to 180.

I'm so glad for this thread, because I was wondering about the phrase "stubborn pounds." I guess there is such a thing, and one can expect it to be harder near the end? (I want to get to 125 from 146.)

Part of it is that you have a lower TDEE, but it's true that your body has no idea if your goal is 112 or 138, both perfectly reasonable goals for someone of my height, for example. I think a lot of it is that when you are close to goal sometimes the rate is quite slow unless you go low and you are pretty happy with how you look, so it's harder to maintain motivation. I know that's what happened to me around 125 and why I've not been motivated enough to get to my 120 goal for ages now. (I also did better losing at around 1 lb/week just because I could see the loss more easily than when I was trying to do around .5 lb, but that's my failing, I'm sure.)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

It's not that it knows the Lbs...it's that when most people are on the last 10 Lbs, they're already relatively lean and at a healthy BMI and basically just trying to get leaner. Often there is no real rhyme or reason here either, other than they set some arbitrary number as their goal.

From an evolutionary standpoint, the human body doesn't really like being super lean and will fight that...being purposely lean for aesthetic reasons is a pretty new phenomenon in human evolution...our bodies would prefer to hold onto some fat for protection...and the older we get, the more body fat our bodies want to hold onto which is why when you look at BF% charts, ideal and acceptable levels of body fat go up as we age.

Being relatively lean and trying to get leaner puts a lot more stress on the body than being over fat and trying to lose weight does...when you're over fat, you have plenty of body fat to mobilize to make up for deficiencies in energy...not so much when you're already relatively lean. Greater stress results in increased cortisol levels and increased cortisol levels will inhibit fat loss to some extent.

You also have to consider how long someone has been dieting...prolonged dieting is also a stress on the body that not only raises cortisol levels, but it also jacks around with a whole bunch of other hormones that impede fat loss. Also, prolonged dieting will ultimately lead to some measure of metabolic adaptation...your body is very good at slowing down certain processes to conserve energy...I'm personally in the "diet break" camp to help combat some of this or at least mitigate it.

I'm sure there are a host of other things going on as well...
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    FWIW, weight loss doesn't always slow down automagically on its own as one approaches goal. I slowed my weight loss intentionally, and actually still overshot goal (aiming for a BMI of 20.0, hit closer to 19 before eating my way back up a little). Slowing happens (without trying) for lots of people . . . but don't assume it's inevitable or universal.
  • NewGemini130
    NewGemini130 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    There's really no reason you can't go at 2/week until goal, assuming you're still overweight. Why don't you create a trend chart using your stats thus far-- I bet you can continue on as you are, at least till you are within close shot of your goal. You may WANT to add more cals or whatever, but I think you're asking if it's possible? If so, yes.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    FWIW, weight loss doesn't always slow down automagically on its own as one approaches goal. I slowed my weight loss intentionally, and actually still overshot goal (aiming for a BMI of 20.0, hit closer to 19 before eating my way back up a little). Slowing happens (without trying) for lots of people . . . but don't assume it's inevitable or universal.

Automagically.. my new word of the day :tongue:
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,642 Member
    Options
    I know I will not lose at the rate I have going forward, but what is a reasonable rate?
    I figure 2 lbs is still reasonable @ 275. If my "ideal" weight is 185, then that is still 90 lbs.
    When does 2 lbs become unreasonable?
    I'm thinking at 250 I slow down the weight loss to 1.5.
    235 I slow down to 1?
    I'm putting in some diet breaks after reading about them and reading what @SideSteel had to say. Probably 2 wks every 12. I may change my mind when I come to them, but that will be my plan.
    I will be continuing ~30 mins on the treadmill every morning, some light weights 3 times a week (currently doing this one www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0bhE67HuDY) and plan to start running a couple days a week. I don't really have a goal date to be at 220, but want a target.
    Hope this makes sense and is not too convoluted.
    My question is how long can I expect to lose at 2 lbs, 1.5 lbs and 1 lb?
    Thanks

Once I figured things out a bit with the help of MFP, the forums, and some reading, I decided that I had no desire to be eating under 2000 Cal a day and in fact I would rather be eating in the 2300+ range. Which incidentally happens to be more calories than a sedentary person at my goal weight could eat before gaining.

With what I ate and the amount of walking I did, I found my speed of weight loss more than satisfactory, and my setup allowed me to spend some time figuring out some "tricks"/"foods"/"activities"/"ways of thinking" that work for me and which I have no intention of changing when i "get" to maintenance..

While weight loss is a necessary first step and pre-condition... the long term game is setting up for maintenance....'

I second the Sued0nimous bunny's advice re: getting a trending weight app.

My n=1 experience is that as I approached the bottom of the obese range there was a natural slow down to my weight loss. And another one occurred just below the halfway point in the overweight range. Coincidentally, scans around those times showed a marked deterioration of my fat to lean mass lost ratio.

All in all your plan sounds great... but I would be much less concerned with the rate of weight loss than I would be with setting myself up for future success.

And whether you're losing 0.5lbs or 1.5lbs a week on average.... they are both quite significant losses (26lbs a year and 78lbs a year respectively).

If a couple of years ago I walked up to you and said: "Next year you will lose 60lbs". Would you have been disappointed that I didn't say you would lose 108lbs?
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    So I've played in Excel.
    Average exercise calories earned according to MFP for Nov 1 - Dec 21 is 804 per day. I know from testing what MFP shows to what my Polar H7 shows, that MFP (for me) is about 20% overstated. So that gives about 670 cals earned per day over BMR + sedentary (my MFP base).

So, with a goal of eating ~2000 cals per day, I've worked backwards to what my weekly loss should be to cover my BMR + 20% + 500 cals from exercise. Has me @ 220 mid August.

Now to see how close I come in the end.

And, please understand. This is an intellectual exercise for me and I like doing this *kitten*. Having numbers like this to play with is part of who I am so don't get concerned I'm overthinking it, or going to punish myself if I don't hit these goals. In a way, being able to do this makes weight loss easier FOR ME.

I can also tell you what my fuel mileage is on every fill up of the truck I'm driving, and what the trucks computer said in comparison.

It's always good to see another Excel fan ;) Don't forget to report back with your findings.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    And, please understand. This is an intellectual exercise for me and I like doing this *kitten*. Having numbers like this to play with is part of who I am so don't get concerned I'm overthinking it, or going to punish myself if I don't hit these goals. In a way, being able to do this makes weight loss easier FOR ME.

I'm the same way, so I get it. You just have to know yourself.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    So I've played in Excel.
    Average exercise calories earned according to MFP for Nov 1 - Dec 21 is 804 per day. I know from testing what MFP shows to what my Polar H7 shows, that MFP (for me) is about 20% overstated. So that gives about 670 cals earned per day over BMR + sedentary (my MFP base).

So, with a goal of eating ~2000 cals per day, I've worked backwards to what my weekly loss should be to cover my BMR + 20% + 500 cals from exercise. Has me @ 220 mid August.

Now to see how close I come in the end.

I can also tell you what my fuel mileage is on every fill up of the truck I'm driving, and what the trucks computer said in comparison.

I am a numbers person myself and I like to have goals to keep me on track. I don't beat myself up if I miss them, but when I have done the math and I know what I *should* be losing and I'm not losing it, it makes it easier for me to go back and say, "hmm, have I gotten sloppy with my logging or exercising less?" I prefer having data over not having it, but that's just me.
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Two pounds per week becomes unreasonable once the requirement for 2lbs/week (1000 calories below TDEE daily) sends you well below the recommended TDEE for your height and weight.

This is why weight loss slows as we become closer to our goal weights - our deficit is less steep as our size (and thereby our TDEE) decreases. I wouldn't focus too much on hitting established numbers. A variety of factors can affect rate of loss.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I'm down 88 lb since January 25 so that's a little less than 2 lb/week. It's been odd, too. November, I lost nothing. The past 2 weeks, I lost 10 lb. I'm 5 lb below my Thanksgiving morning weight. There's really about you or the process other than the rock-solid fact that CICO does work easier for men than women. It works for both, but it's easier for men.

And I use Excel to predict my today weight based on my rolling calorie deficit and use the deviation from reality to evaluate the accuracy of my logging.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    Speaking as a fellow data geek, I think you might want to check this out:

MFP Data Export Tool - The Overview

It includes a link to a thread where the tool's discussed at length.
  • Tacklewasher
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Speaking as a fellow data geek, I think you might want to check this out:

MFP Data Export Tool - The Overview

It includes a link to a thread where the tool's discussed at length.

Nice.

I have a link that pulls info out as CSV data, but this one looks nicer. I'll look at it tonight.
  • Tacklewasher
    Options
    Thought I may as well update this.

Was down ~ 10 for Dec. And down ~ 10 for Jan. Kinda varies depending on the day I pick (Jan 1 was 8, Jan 4 was 12 type thing) but around 10 for both months. I've been comparing my exercise calories pushed through to MFP and where I said I was down ~20%, it's a lot closer so I haven't been eating back enough exercise calories.

Been doing the C25K on the treadmill as well as light weight work twice a week. Plus I've been snow shoeing every weekend for the past month or so. God that burns calories. Hurt my toe snow shoeing last week, so little treadmill during the week and not snow shoeing this weekend. Means I've been limited to ~1,600 calories and I don't like that very much. Back on the treadmill yesterday and will do again today.

• lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Thought I may as well update this.

Was down ~ 10 for Dec. And down ~ 10 for Jan. Kinda varies depending on the day I pick (Jan 1 was 8, Jan 4 was 12 type thing) but around 10 for both months. I've been comparing my exercise calories pushed through to MFP and where I said I was down ~20%, it's a lot closer so I haven't been eating back enough exercise calories.

Been doing the C25K on the treadmill as well as light weight work twice a week. Plus I've been snow shoeing every weekend for the past month or so. God that burns calories. Hurt my toe snow shoeing last week, so little treadmill during the week and not snow shoeing this weekend. Means I've been limited to ~1,600 calories and I don't like that very much. Back on the treadmill yesterday and will do again today.

Following this thread because I too like the numbers and have created a weight loss chart. Thanks for the update.

Also snow shoeing is amazing!
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    First and foremost.... Awesome job, keep up the great work!
    2k per day should carry you to sub 220 (might need some tweaking).

Being a bigger guy you can tend to have more consistent results for longer. Inevitably you WILL have off weeks where your results are below where you expect them to be. Keep sticking to your 2k and eventually it should normalize.
  • Tacklewasher
    Options
    Dammit!
    I missed my step goal yesterday by 22 steps. I should have looked at my watch before going to bed and done once around the living room.

Dammit!

/vent over