Salad for Christmas dinner

Options

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    incisron wrote: »
    Anyone keeping it healthy and having grilled chicken or a salad for Christmas dinner? Why or why not?

No, because my family decided we'd like to have special burgers for Christmas this year and I can eat whatever I want. I have made homemade buns. I am throwing some spinach on my burger and other ingredients that might go in a salad. It isn't less healthy than grilled chicken or salad and it will be tasty.
    I am logging my food as I do every day and don't really plan to exceed my maintenance level calories for the day
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    You mean like potato salad or egg salad right? Yup, on the side of my turkey, pork, cranberries, stuffing, yams with candied pecan crust, mashed potatoes, date pinwheel cookies, chocolates, candied nuts, shortbread cookies, and then dessert which is usually a couple options for pies and various things served with whipped cream. I will take smaller portions of everything, but it's only the one day and I would rather enjoy my time with my family than worry about the number of calories I'm eating.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Not me. I eat salads all the time. I will be eating the special holiday foods and not feeling guilty at all about it. Plus I eat "unhealthy" and "healthy" foods every day. I will probably just have a few more servings than usual.
  • fastingrabbit
    fastingrabbit Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    What are your plans, OP?
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Hell no.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    No way. It's Christmas, plus I'm bulking. All the foods are belong to me !
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Aw..... I want Christmas dinner.. probably be nachos here....

Definitely no salads. My teeth are way too cold sensitive for salads.
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I am keep it it healthy by preparing Filet Mignon, lemon-white wine Shrimp, baked potato, spaghetti squash, and a mixed green salad with a balsamic vinaigrette.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »
    I will be having a wilted spinach salad with bacon and cranberries and slivered almonds. And I will be having ham, au gratin potatoes, brussel sprouts homemade pie and ice cream. The spinach calories will cancel out the pie and ice cream calories, right? And we are having cinnamon rolls for breakfast, think I need a veggie to cancel out those calories? :)

I've been on maintenance for awhile and I have figured out that not paying attention on a few holidays makes absolutely no difference and I enjoy celebrating those days. As long as it's just a day here and there. I am usually way over on sodium though so I expect a few days of water weight.

If they have raisins, you're good!
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I will be having a wilted spinach salad with bacon and cranberries and slivered almonds. And I will be having ham, au gratin potatoes, brussel sprouts homemade pie and ice cream. The spinach calories will cancel out the pie and ice cream calories, right? And we are having cinnamon rolls for breakfast, think I need a veggie to cancel out those calories? :)

I've been on maintenance for awhile and I have figured out that not paying attention on a few holidays makes absolutely no difference and I enjoy celebrating those days. As long as it's just a day here and there. I am usually way over on sodium though so I expect a few days of water weight.

No raisins (hubby hates them) but I'll sprinkle a few on top and be good to go! Thanks!
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

No raisins (hubby hates them) but I'll sprinkle a few on top and be good to go! Thanks!

Let me guess, he doesn't like them because they look like flies? I've heard that excuse before! :laugh:

Good call finding a way to work them in. Have a happy healthy day tomorrow! :smile:
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

You've got this down to an artform! B)
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    No. What's the point of a feast if you're just going to eat like a rabbit? I'm not going to pig out, but I'm going to eat more than normal amounts of food that I don't normally eat.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    We're going to a friend's for Christmas dinner. I have no idea what we'll be eating, besides ham. I'll try not to go crazy, but I'm sure tomorrow will not be a diet dinner. It's only one day.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    With celiac disease I have to avoid too much of my family's holiday food as it is. No way would I not eat what I can. This year I'm finding that I'm able to eat whatever I want on the special days without going on an extended binge between Halloween and new years, and I credit learning to ditch all or nothing thinking. I can plan for days where I can enjoy sharing food with my family without guilt or feeling like I torpedoed all my weight loss effort. Sure I may gain a pound or two when holidays are stacked together at the end of the year, but I consider that a reasonable tradeoff. This way of looking at things is sustainable for me. Trying to be perfect every day without exception isn't.