Tracking in grams

I know the importance of weighing food to be most accurate, but logging that can be so difficult when all the entries don't use weight. For example, I had oatmeal and my box tells me that one serving is 1/2 c or 45 grams. So I measure 45 grams. But when I go to log it, most options for oatmeal use cups or milliliter or ounces.... it's so frustrating that most foods don't seems to have grams as one of their options. So whatever, I pick the half cup. After all, I need to keep this quick and easy to be consistent with tracking.

But then, I'll get something like the teaspoon of brown sugar that I added to it. I don't have the box, so I'm not sure how many grams are in a teaspoon. When I check on here, none of the brown sugar entries that seem reliable have grams! So I measure by teaspoon, weigh it to get an idea (it was about 5 g), and then enter 1 teaspoon. But I have no idea if 5 g is 1 teaspoon. I googled it, answers seem to range from 4.3 to 17 g.... but honestly if I can't find the answer in a few minutes, I just take my best guess and move on with my life.

So how do you do it? Weighing everything is not the problem, it's figuring out how many grams are in a serving and using that on MFP.

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited December 2016
    I enter the items that I use in My Foods and don't share them with the database. It takes time to set up (but not really much more time than searching for a usable entry) and is so much easier after that. I use grams as the serving unit for solids and any semi-solids or liquids that have grams listed in the nutritional info and milliliters for liquids that list milliliters in the nutrition info.

Entering items myself also lets me customize the names.
  • jenwil1999
    jenwil1999 Posts: 38 Member
    @seska422 That does sounds very time intensive but customized. I can definitely see the value and accuracy in that.

@snickerscharlie I am aware of those options, but they usually don't include grams. In fact, I find it annoying when an item has 10 options, three of them are for cups (1/4 c, 1/2 c, 1 c - all of which could be calculated easily by adjusting the servings) and none are for grams.

Both of you mentioned time-intensive, and I get that, but for me it's not just "at first". I did all that back when I first tracked in 2008 (databases were HORRIBLE then and no smartphone) and after a few months, I realized how rarely I repeat foods. I was still constantly entering the info. Then I moved to a new country, where it was completely impossible (I had no idea what the ingredients were most of the time). Then I moved to a third country.... I just move every 1-2 years and find that I don't keep the same diet / routines. It makes all routines hard to keep for more than a few months (sleep, exercise, food) and it's exhausting constantly trying to establish new routines. I'll be moving again in 5 months after 2 years here. Anyway, the point was that I really like to be able to use the database - the vast improvements in the databases over the past couple years is the exact thing that's brought me back to tracking on an app.

Anyway, I guess I just wish there was some way I could edit other people's items on the database to include grams. Many of them have great detailed info, I just want one more key piece. Then again, half the time I don't know what the grams are either!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,581 Member
    edited December 2016
    jenwil1999 wrote: »
    @seska422 That does sounds very time intensive but customized. I can definitely see the value and accuracy in that.

@snickerscharlie I am aware of those options, but they usually don't include grams. In fact, I find it annoying when an item has 10 options, three of them are for cups (1/4 c, 1/2 c, 1 c - all of which could be calculated easily by adjusting the servings) and none are for grams.

Both of you mentioned time-intensive, and I get that, but for me it's not just "at first". I did all that back when I first tracked in 2008 (databases were HORRIBLE then and no smartphone) and after a few months, I realized how rarely I repeat foods. I was still constantly entering the info. Then I moved to a new country, where it was completely impossible (I had no idea what the ingredients were most of the time). Then I moved to a third country.... I just move every 1-2 years and find that I don't keep the same diet / routines. It makes all routines hard to keep for more than a few months (sleep, exercise, food) and it's exhausting constantly trying to establish new routines. I'll be moving again in 5 months after 2 years here. Anyway, the point was that I really like to be able to use the database - the vast improvements in the databases over the past couple years is the exact thing that's brought me back to tracking on an app.

Anyway, I guess I just wish there was some way I could edit other people's items on the database to include grams. Many of them have great detailed info, I just want one more key piece. Then again, half the time I don't know what the grams are either!

You *can* easily edit an existing entry to include grams.

Click on the green box underneath the entry in the database that says "Nutrition Information." That will then bring up a mini screen asking, "Is this data accurate?" If you click on "No," you can then change the entry to whatever suits you. I have often converted good entries that were measured in cups or servings, for example, to the gram equivalent and then saved it for my future use. :)
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    edited December 2016
    I know the importance of weighing food to be most accurate, but logging that can be so difficult when all the entries don't use weight. For example, I had oatmeal and my box tells me that one serving is 1/2 c or 45 grams. So I measure 45 grams. But when I go to log it, most options for oatmeal use cups or milliliter or ounces.... it's so frustrating that most foods don't seems to have grams as one of their options. So whatever, I pick the half cup. After all, I need to keep this quick and easy to be consistent with tracking.

But then, I'll get something like the teaspoon of brown sugar that I added to it. I don't have the box, so I'm not sure how many grams are in a teaspoon. When I check on here, none of the brown sugar entries that seem reliable have grams! So I measure by teaspoon, weigh it to get an idea (it was about 5 g), and then enter 1 teaspoon. But I have no idea if 5 g is 1 teaspoon. I googled it, answers seem to range from 4.3 to 17 g.... but honestly if I can't find the answer in a few minutes, I just take my best guess and move on with my life.

So how do you do it? Weighing everything is not the problem, it's figuring out how many grams are in a serving and using that on MFP.

If it's something I know the calories are right (or close enough) on, then I just say, "Hey, I know what I ate, this log is accurate." It doesn't matter that the entry says cups, just that I know that I ate one serving of so many calories.

If it's something I don't know the calories for, I search the USDA Nutritional Database. Once I know the calories I'm looking for -- say, that I know 3oz of X is Y calories -- I can use a database entry that reflect those numbers.

This may be tedious, if you eat a wide variety of foods. I tend to stick in the wheelhouse of the same things in different combinations.

Edited to add: sometimes you can use the USDA number and name to find an entry that reflects the USDA values, e.g. if you wanted to find an entry that reflected this value for apples, you could search "apple usda 09003". I've done it with chicken breast and had luck, but I imagine it varies.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    If you measured 45 grams, and 45 grams equals a half-cup on the packaging, then by entering a half-cup on your diary you entered the correct amount.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    If you measured 45 grams, and 45 grams equals a half-cup on the packaging, then by entering a half-cup on your diary you entered the correct amount.

No, because 1/2 cup is volume and grams is weight. 1/2 cup of my oatmeal (dry) always weighs more than 45 grams, as much as 60g. That's why weighing is important, rather than cups.

OP, does your scales toggle between ounces and grams? Mine does. If you are having trouble finding grams, you can press the units button on the scale to get the readout in ounces. I understand that your diet might change every few years, but does it change so radically from day to day that you rarely use the same entry? Sugar? Oatmeal? That's amazing!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    I've found that most things can be found with weight as an option...are you looking up your particular brand of oatmeal...if it's listed in grams on the packaging, there should be such an entry in MFP.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »

No, because 1/2 cup is volume and grams is weight. 1/2 cup of my oatmeal (dry) always weighs more than 45 grams, as much as 60g. That's why weighing is important, rather than cups.

OP, does your scales toggle between ounces and grams? Mine does. If you are having trouble finding grams, you can press the units button on the scale to get the readout in ounces. I understand that your diet might change every few years, but does it change so radically from day to day that you rarely use the same entry? Sugar? Oatmeal? That's amazing!

Some labels state that a cup/spoon size equals a certain weight.

All the entries I use are for grams (unless liquid)... I haven't had any issues finding entries, and I just make my own entries for the few obscure things I've eaten
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member

If the packaging on the oatmeal states .5 cups (45 g) is 100 calories, and OP weighs out 45 grams, but enters it on MFP as .5 cups, she'll get 100 calories. It'll work.

However, if she uses a measuring cup to measure .5 cups, there is definitely room for error.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    I just looked up Oatmeal, dry. It has the option of 1g. So you can weigh the oatmeal dry.
    Look up Brown sugar, grams. I also has the 1g option.
  • jenwil1999
    Wow, thanks everyone! This is awesome!

@snickerscharlie So glad to know how to edit an entry! I looked for the options, but thought only the original contributor could do it. That will definitely make my life easier.

@gramarye The USDA numbers are great advice - it never occurred to me to search with the USDA numbers.

Everyone's right, my log is technically correct if I put 1/2 c for 45 grams. It just gets annoying to constantly convert. Also, I tend to buy things that aren't in standard packaging - my peanut butter was fresh ground at a farmer's market. So often the best I can do is take a good estimate. I know that an average serving is 2 tbl with 180 calories.... but I'm adding 30 g to my smoothie. If just feels like a lot of estimating and room for error. And I have to repeat it every time I use that peanut butter.
  • jenwil1999
    OP, does your scales toggle between ounces and grams? Mine does. If you are having trouble finding grams, you can press the units button on the scale to get the readout in ounces.

Yes, my scale has both measurements. I'm honestly worried about using ounces because I'm often not sure if the entry on the database means weight or fluid ounces. For example with the peanut butter - it could be either, depending on the person who made the entry.
    I understand that your diet might change every few years, but does it change so radically from day to day that you rarely use the same entry? Sugar? Oatmeal? That's amazing!

I know this sounds crazy, but it seems like it. Your question has made me think carefully about my breakfasts. I know for a fact that the last time I bought oatmeal was 3 years ago in Thailand. I had it every day for a couple weeks. Since then, I've lived in 3 countries and many things were purchased once, fully consumed for a week or two, then never purchased again. Or I made a recipe that I never repeated or changed significantly. I'd say probably only 30% of my food is commonly repeated, with maybe another 10-20% repeated within a year.

• jenwil1999
    I just looked up Oatmeal, dry. It has the option of 1g. So you can weigh the oatmeal dry.
    Look up Brown sugar, grams. I also has the 1g option.

You're absolutely right about adding grams to the search!
  • jenwil1999
    I really appreciate everyone's responses! I've definitely got some great ideas here.

One final question if people don't mind. I rarely make a recipe exactly the same - I tend to cook to taste and substitute. For some of the things I cook more often, I'd like to create a recipe with portions... but the ingredients can change radically from time to time. Any suggestions on that? Should I just log the ingredients separately each day?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    I really appreciate everyone's responses! I've definitely got some great ideas here.

One final question if people don't mind. I rarely make a recipe exactly the same - I tend to cook to taste and substitute. For some of the things I cook more often, I'd like to create a recipe with portions... but the ingredients can change radically from time to time. Any suggestions on that? Should I just log the ingredients separately each day?

I would log the ingredients for one portion separately - you can copy the meal in to other days to make it easier after that.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member

I would log the ingredients for one portion separately - you can copy the meal in to other days to make it easier after that.

This is what I do. Like, if I cooked chicken with butter and sauces and whatnot, I'll logged each thing separately (7g of butter, 160g of chicken breast, 1 tbsp lime juice, etc).

I also leave standard recipes in the recipe builder -- like, I have a potato soup entry, because we make it frequently but it's not exactly the same each time. When I'm cooking I write down what I'm using on a dry erase board in the kitchen, and then update my recipe in MFP before dinner.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    gramarye wrote: »

This is what I do. Like, if I cooked chicken with butter and sauces and whatnot, I'll logged each thing separately (7g of butter, 160g of chicken breast, 1 tbsp lime juice, etc).

I also leave standard recipes in the recipe builder -- like, I have a potato soup entry, because we make it frequently but it's not exactly the same each time. When I'm cooking I write down what I'm using on a dry erase board in the kitchen, and then update my recipe in MFP before dinner.

I do the same thing with my recipes. I adjust the ingredients I used that time and put the new weight for servings in every time i make it.

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,581 Member
    Wow, thanks everyone! This is awesome!

@snickerscharlie So glad to know how to edit an entry! I looked for the options, but thought only the original contributor could do it. That will definitely make my life easier.

When I edit or correct an existing entry, I also add my initials to the title line in brackets. That way, if I'm ever searching the database again for that particular item, the one that's mine is easy to find. :)
  • jenwil1999
    I have been logging it all separately, but one thing I don't like is how it make the log look. I know that sounds minor, but when I flip through a few days before and see "chicken, yogurt, avacado...." I have to try and guess which recipe it was. Plus it makes the log pretty long. It's so much easier to see "Chicken Salad, bread..." and know I had a chicken salad sandwich. However, I know it's accurate, and that's most important.
    gramarye wrote: »

I love this idea! Especially the white board - I keep scribbling it on my grocery lists. One question, does updating the recipe change past entries? I'm guessing not if you're using it, but maybe you haven't checked.

I'm also thinking I might just make a "base recipe" for common things and leave off the ingredients that often change, then just add those to the log. One problem is remembering which parts of recipe are not in log. Looks like I just need to experiment more.
    When I edit or correct an existing entry, I also add my initials to the title line in brackets. That way, if I'm ever searching the database again for that particular item, the one that's mine is easy to find. :)

Also a great idea! So much easier to start with good procedures / practices from the beginning.