January 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp it's great to see you're recovered!

It's been really cool reading your training reports. It's getting me more excited to start structured marathon training..... too bad I have 4 weeks to go....LOL, I might be over the weekly mileage I put on the questionnaire by then....oh well, a cut back to begin training???

Thanks for being an inspiration!
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Wow page 7 already. Well my year goal is going to at least 1000 miles and this month I'll start off with 80. I'll have to find some ways of getting more miles into my weeks.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    01/01 -
    01/02 8.0 Miles - The side streets were glazed with ice so I elected to go to a local high school and run on the indoor track.

qcgni24c9n0q.jpeg

@7lenny7 don't tell Skip your local high school has an indoor track, she would pack her bags and move there. :wink:

@mobycarp I'm happy to hear you consider the Achilles injury a thing of the past, I have to say reading your reports while you were injured and how you worked through it was an awesome read. You didn't quit, you didn't whine (like I do), you slowly worked your way back to health. Skip's PT tells her, the body knows the injury is recovered before the mind does. Congrats!
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I'm a little late to post my goal, but I'm hoping to hit 30 miles this month. Just starting running again... working towards my first 10K this summer
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp - hooray for the recovery. You have been a great example for the rest of us on how we should deal with injuries. Thanks!
  • k80flec
    k80flec Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Jan: 45 miles running.

exercise.png

1st: 3.88 miles, Park Run - MTD 3.88
    2nd: 5 miles, Wk11:D2 C210k, Pilates - MTD 8.88
    3rd: 3.39 miles, club run helping to lead the back to running group - MTD 12.27
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    7 pages already? I have no chance of catching up, and I missed the last 2 days of the December challenge too. My final miles for December were 86.89, beating an 80 mile goal, so I'm going to shoot for a goal of 100 for the month and try to hit triple figures for the first time! I think it should be easy, I have renewed motivation after what has happened to me recently. I shall say no more, other than running has blessed every single part of my life, and putting on my shoes and getting out there was the single best decision I ever made, as it has brought me more joy than I could ever have hoped for, and I can't wait to keep on smashing it in 2017 :blush:

Already got some good miles in the bank, and a new 5km PB in the middle of my long run on the 1st, as we ran to do parkrun. 25:05!!! Obviously annoyed by those 5 seconds, but took over a minute off my time since July!!!

January Running Challenge

1st - 12.66 miles inc Parkrun x2 with a new 5km PB 25:05
    3rd - 3.11 miles

MTD - 15.77/100 miles

Upcoming races:
    12th March 2017 - North London Half Marathon
    9th April 2017 - Brighton Marathon
  • bmelb1
    bmelb1 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have a question for the group...if you can't run outside, do you think it's better to run on a treadmill or an indoor track? Or are there options that I don't know about that you think would work? I think I'm one of the few people that actually enjoys running on the treadmill, I totally zone out and it's like a moving meditation for me. My concern is that I don't use the same stride on a treadmill that I use on a road because I don't need to use the same force to push my body forward on a treadmill that I do on a road, track, etc. What do you think?

@jodilynnsanders5104 I noticed your marathon is in Ottawa in May, I'm running the 10 km race there. Do you live in Ottawa? I'm in Kanata.

I took a couple of days off from running after the Resolution Run that I walked on New Years Eve since my ankles have been a little sore. Did a lot of stretching and some core strength exercises yesterday instead and my legs feel so much better. Today I ran on the treadmill since we've had freezing rain all day and the roads are like a sheet of ice.

Date Km Today - Km for Jan.
    1/3 5.73 - 5.73
    =========
    Goal 75 km

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    Polar Hero 5km OCR? - 2/4
    Ottawa Tamarack 10km - 5/27
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    bmelb1 wrote: »
    I have a question for the group...if you can't run outside, do you think it's better to run on a treadmill or an indoor track? Or are there options that I don't know about that you think would work? I think I'm one of the few people that actually enjoys running on the treadmill, I totally zone out and it's like a moving meditation for me. My concern is that I don't use the same stride on a treadmill that I use on a road because I don't need to use the same force to push my body forward on a treadmill that I do on a road, track, etc. What do you think?

If you enjoy using a treadmill, I wouldn't hesitate to use that. Me, I'm scared of treadmills. I've only used one once for an actual run and pulled the kill switch 4 times in 3 "miles".

Research finds that your biomechanics dont' change on a treadmill vs. outdoor running, and that treadmill running is just as effective as outdoor running, so you can George Jetson that treadmill all you want without guilt!

@skippygirlsmom that indoor track is only 1/7 mile and for most of it, it's only 2 lanes wide. I'd rather run on an outdoor track myself, but if I could do that, I'd be running on the roads or trails anyway.

• katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @mmteixeira true words about John Street Hill :) Hope you had a good run too.

Date :::: Miles:::: Jan MTD (goal = 70)
    01/01/17 :::: 4.3 :::: 4.3
    01/02/17 :::: 2.9 :::: 7.1
    01/03/17 :::: 3.1 :::: 10.3

I went for a hike with Stella this morning and managed to get that in before it started raining. The rest of the day was a washout, so I did a treadmill run at the Y this afternoon. I'm still enjoying my flexible schedule between over the winter break but starting to put a few more work hours in. I will really miss being able to run during the day when I go back.

Officially signed up for the winter session of my running group today so now I need to make sure I get to one of them this week.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 gotcha on the track. On the treadmill I never wear the kill switch because I pull it out all the time.
    @louubelle16 yeah for you!!!! Glad you are happy!
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @patrikc333 & @RunsOnEspresso - The stuff the doctor gave me is by Bausch + Lomb - it's called: Ipratropium Bromide Nasal Solution 6%
    In US only available via prescription, so kind of a pain. But it is great.
  • snowyne
    snowyne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    @patrikc333 & @RunsOnEspresso - The stuff the doctor gave me is by Bausch + Lomb - it's called: Ipratropium Bromide Nasal Solution 6%
    In US only available via prescription, so kind of a pain. But it is great.

Thank you so much for sharing this info! I need to ask my dr. about it. Going to aim for 90 miles in January. New runner here...slow but I get it done!!!
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    1/1: rest day
    1/2: 5 miles
    1/3: 3 miles

TOTAL: 8/130 (goal subject to change)

Ran 3 miles on the "indoor track" at the gym in 26:31 (8:51 pace) tonight. I say "indoor track" because it's a very small two lane track that goes around the cardio and weight machines, which provides lots of near collisions with people crossing the track. The track is 1/17th of a mile...so 51 laps around. I lost track of laps after awhile so I had to take note of my time, count out 17 laps to figure out pace, pause the time for a lap to do some quick math to figure out I had run 2.3 miles and needed to run 0.7 more. Because the track is so small, the turns are just about as long as the straightaways so my left achilles and right knee are a bit tight from the constant turning in the same direction (there are designated days for direction and there were too many people using the track to attempt breaking it and rotating directions). To be honest, I think it was still better than the dreadmill.

Edited to correct some horrible grammatical mistakes in my post-run hangry state.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @OSUbuckeye906 I wish I had an indoor track, even one that short. I'm on thr TM if I'm not outside. It gets boring fast. Great run!
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    No run today. It's cold, windy, dreary. I don't feel like myself. I'm tired. Fitbit says I got a terrible night's sleep (hubby says I punched him in the gut, but actually it was my elbow :* ). Had a nasty first day back at work. I don't even feel like any exercise at all even besides running. Every winter I am getting worse and worse at coping with the lack of daylight and the cloudy gray days. I'm out in a heartbeat if it's freezing but sunny :#
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for January
    1/1 REST DAY
    1/2 9 miles - 9
    1/3 10 miles - 19

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25 << 1:20:22 1 in AG & 15 OA
    Huntsville Half Marathon - 11/12 << 1:35:55 2 in AG & 25 OA
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10 << 2:44:41
    Kentucky Derby Marathon - 4/29

I was on the road and drove up to Ft. Knox today. So I am finally posting my mileage that I ran this morning now. I will be out pretty much this week up here. Back on the road Thursday to Ft. Campbell for a couple of days.

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @bmelb1 - I would choose an indoor track over a treadmill any day. Today it rained all day long. I could have run outside in the rain, but the assignment was speed work. The indoor track was actually quite pleasant for both the 2 mile warmup and the 6.5 miles of tempo intervals. I would have gone nuts on a treadmill. However, the fact that you like the treadmill may change this picture for your case.

@OSUbuckeye906 - Even on a standard 200 m indoor track, there is the hazard of clueless traffic. Ideally, I'd like to run distances stated in miles in Lane 6, at 7 laps to the mile, instead of Lane 1 at 8 laps to the mile. Today, part of Lanes 5 and 6 were taken up by some booths set up for a non-athletic event later, and a chair and table poked into Lane 1 on one of the curves. Other obstacles were there early, but got cleared by the time I finished my warmup. Traffic wasn't terrible; there were several groups of walkers, but only one of them cluelessly hogged Lanes 1 and 2 on the curves when I was trying to run timed 800 or 1600 intervals. A maintenance guy stopped in Lane 1 as I was approaching, but I was able to dodge him. And this was on a standard track that is used by a real college track team, so you would think the faculty and maintenance people would have been told some of the conventions for sharing the track with runners. Oh, well. I regarded it as just the kind of random thing that could show up in a race, and dealt with it as part of the environment. And yes, it was *much* better than a dreadmill!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp it's great to see you're recovered!

It's been really cool reading your training reports. It's getting me more excited to start structured marathon training..... too bad I have 4 weeks to go....LOL, I might be over the weekly mileage I put on the questionnaire by then....oh well, a cut back to begin training???

Thanks for being an inspiration!

There are worse things than a cutback to start training. Ideally, you want to be totally healthy and well rested with a solid base to start the structured program. Then the program pushes you gradually, and you don't realize how beat up you are till you get into taper and the aches begin to fade. After a few training cycles, you'll learn to notice as you are getting beat up and adjust the program on the fly.
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try for 100 km this month. I haven't done much running over the last 6 months, because life has been pretty busy, but hoping to keep my motivation up by dropping in here again. Great to see so many familiar faces still here!

01/01: rest
    02/01: rest
    03/01: rest
    04/01: 5.3 km

Total: 5.3/100 km