Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• birgitkwood
    birgitkwood Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    @campfirequeen1 - I've been lurking, reading everyone's posts every day but often not having the time to respond. Your goal for 2017 sounds like a good one. I especially like the "or as close I can" part - sounds healthy and non obsessive.

I don't make resolutions. Just try to live each day as best I can and let the chips fall where they may. Never would I have guessed a year ago that today I'd be 91lbs down! According to insurance BMI tables, I should work at losing another 30 lbs to be considered no longer overweight. I don't know if I'll get there, and frankly - I don't care! I like the way I'm living and what I'm eating. I don't want to eat less, and have no interest in exercising more. So, if I lose more weight - great. If not, also great. But gaining is absolutely NOT an option! (Guess there's the NY Resolution, right? Lol)

@KATRENAJ - hop back on the wagon and do the best you can. The pounds will come back off - you know how to do that! Enjoy your trip to Costa Rica.

@FeraFilia - you're so very close! And written weight loss being what it is, written our bodies adding and subtracting a few pounds here and there every day regardless is what we do, it's say you did it! Remember, the number on the scale is only a number, and the first of the year is really just an arbitrary date. Great to use as a guide posts, but not worthy of emotional attachments. The overall trend is what matters, and you're doing great! Keep in going and you will reach your goal.

Happy New Year to All!
  • RunawayCurves
    RunawayCurves Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Been rubbish many months, gained back all weight, at my biggest yet again. I am such a food junkie, even spent whole first day of new year munching on junk food. Feeling a distinct lack of motivation still despite how unconfortable and unhappy I am. My achievments last year were getting motion back in my knee after injury , surviving another year of bipolar and finally going vegan two months ago. I got good at baking vegan cake fast, discovered peanut butter on toast and the plain salted pringles are vegan. I know that is not healthy , I can be equally unhealthy as a vegan as I was as an omnivore. I need to get back to basics again and cut the junk.
  • KATRENAJ
    KATRENAJ Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    obesity Warrior - My husband once told me he quit smoking 115 times before he finally quit. We can do this. Our health demands it
    Katrena
  • Misnomer971
    Misnomer971 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm actually kind of excited today! I agree that the date on the calendar is arbitrary, but my LCD* ended right before the holidays (literally the day before Thanksgiving) and yesterday was the last of the holiday eating. Plus, it's been almost a month since my weight-loss program ended and I've been doing this on my own. So, the start of the new year just happens to also be when I can start really focusing on/settling into my new lifestyle. I am still learning about nutrition and about myself, plus I'm not quite at the "habit" stage yet because I still need to incorporate regular exercise into my new routine. I know there will still be times when I exceed my daily calorie goal, but at least there won't be any more 8-hour stretches of constant food at someone's house! LOL!

I don't usually buy wall calendars for home (I just use my Google calendar), but the other day I saw one that I just put up: the theme is "believe in yourself," and each month says something like "be bold," "be thoughtful," "be proud," etc. This month is "be fearless." :)

*In late September I began a 12-week program run by a local hospital. The first 7 weeks involved a Low Calorie Diet of 1,000 calories per day, comprised almost entirely of meal replacement products. We met with dietitians, had bloodwork done monthly, and had weekly meetings that included exercise sessions and nutrition/behavior/exercise lectures. When I was ready to transition back to real food I spent two weeks at 1,200 cal/day (with fewer products), then the last step was to provide all of my own food with a daily calorie goal of 1,345 -- which is where I'll stay for a while. The program ended on 12/6...which, not coincidentally, is when I started getting more involved with the forums here!

@MermaidPrincessRach - YAY! Congratulations! :smile:

@harribeau2012 - I love the "Practice, Practice, Practice" idea!

@KATRENAJ and @ObesityWarrior - I think what matters is that you've decided to pick up the pieces. I'm only a few months into losing weight and I know that an eventual lapse/relapse is likely, and I'm so afraid of not having the willpower to start over. You're both hugely inspiring!

@campfirequeen1 - I agree with @birgitkwood about "as close as I can." Sometimes I get discouraged by how much I still have to lose and the likelihood that I won't hit my goal weight until sometime in 2018, so keeping things realistic and healthy is important for me to remember. Thanks for sharing your positive attitude. :)
  • RachaelPooh
    RachaelPooh Posts: 5,911 Member
    Options
    I usually run into trouble when I start graphing out goal weights for the future. I have SO MUCH weight to lose!
    I have to remember to just take it one day at a time, one meal at a time. I can be very proud of myself for the progress I have made so far. I have to remember how I got that progress and keep repeating what has been working. Follow the meal plans from the book. Tell myself that my sacrifces will be worth it, always worth it. I have a long ways to go, but I am closer today than before. Progress.
    It's like a marathon. Each meal is like a single step on the marathon course. I have to take a bunch of steps to make it to the finish line but I can do it ... If i just focus on one step at a time. When I stumble (everyone stumbles now and then), I just catch my balance or pick myself up off the ground and keep going. :smile:
    Enjoy the journey! It's life-changing!
  • birgitkwood
    birgitkwood Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    @Misnomer971 - wow, yours is truly an amazing accomplishment! The LCD program sounds difficult to me, but impressive. Continuing on your own for the past month, in the midst of holiday abundance and constant temptation, is nothing short of Herculean - I hope you give yourself a ton of credit!

And yes, achieving your ultimate goal, probably is 2018, may feel like it's a very long way off. But don't you feel a whole lot better and lighter already? And you will continue to do so, every month better and better, and stronger, healthier. That's the magic of the journey, I think. For me it becomes fun to see what I can do, what my body becomes capable of. Silly things -- like recently I was at my son's house and there were lots of people there. The only remaining seat was a tiny little stool meant for a toddler. A few months ago I never would have attempted to sit on the thing because I'd have worried about not getting back up. This time I sat on it, stood back up, and then kept finding reasons to sit down and stand back up simply because I could lololol. It was fun to do! And, according to "the charts," I apparently still have about 30lbs left to lose. So if I, in fact, lose those 30lbs, what will I be able to do? Maybe I'll take up surfing. Or base jumping. Or rock climbing... Who knows? The sky is the limit and it's the journey itself that's the goal. At least that's how it feels for me, and I hope it does for you as well.

You've already done so much. 2017 will be your year!
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @birgitkwood --I feel the same as you about seeing what I'm capable of doing. Mostly I notice the change when I'm with my 4 year old niece. She's a bundle of energy and I've become the aunt who does all of the physical stuff with her--flips her around, climbs the playground equipment, etc. I really love that and i know if I were at my heaviest, I wouldn't be ab;e to do any of it.

@rach-- I know what you mean about setting those specific weight loss goals. I did some of that when I first started MFP and I really just had to have the mindset that as long as I was moving in the right direction, the speed with which I met each goal didn't matter. It was hard because I'm not the most patient person, but it kept me from becoming discouraged with the whole process. Now I need to get back in gear and lose the weight I regained last year and continue to work to lose beyond that point. But you're right, it's a marathon not a sprint. :)

@Misnomer971 --I'm also excited that the daily social activities revolving around food have come to an end. Congrats on your progress so far, and it sounds like you have a great attitude toward meeting you goals in a healthy way. :)

@ObesityWarrior --I hate it when injuries or illness throw a wrench into my progress. A couple of years ago I injured my shoulder pretty badly. It was months and months of pain and PT to get it back to being somewhat "normal." Then, just as I was finally getting past that pain, I developed an upper respiratory infection that lasted almost 3 months despite 2 rounds of antibiotics. The combination just put me way off my game--I couldn't lift weights due to the shoulder, and I couldn't do any cardio due to the URI. I lost all motivation and just kind of gave up even eating healthy while I was sick. It was about this time last year that I finally recovered from the URI, but by then the damage had been done and I had gained back a solid 10 pounds. It literally took months for me to regain any sort of normalcy to my eating and exercise and in the interim, I gained another 5 lbs or so. Since then, I've struggled with losing and gaining the same few pounds. I need to really do a complete reboot and get back on track, but as katrena said, we can do this. I with you on the getting back to basics and cutting the junk. Let's check in here regularly and hold each other accountable.

Sorry for those of you I missed--Happy new year to all of you!! :)

Monday Check-in:
    I'm looking forward to getting back to a normal eating schedule when school starts up again on Thursday. My husband, who does most of the cooking, has been going through kind of a junk food phase lately. He wants pizza or burgers every night and I just can't live on that stuff. The other day I thawed a bunch of pork chops and cooked them up so I would have some decent protein to eat on a daily basis. I'm going to do the same with some boneless skinless chicken breasts so I always have something healthy to reach for in the fridge.

Grading Goals:
    4. 13/39 Scarlet Letter papers
    5. revise 1st semester AP final exam DONE
    6. write Japan essay

Exercise Goals:
    Mon-- walk gunner DONE + ab video DONE
    Tues-- walk gunner + gym
    Wed-- walk gunner + ab video
    Thurs-- walk gunner + gym
    Fri-- walk gunner + ab video
    Sat-- walk gunner + gym + ab video
    Sun-- walk gunner + ab video
  • RachaelPooh
    Options
    My weight loss has almost stalled out :anguished: and I know why! I have not stuck to my menu plans for the past couple days. I'm slipping. Time to catch my balance and move on to the next goal. I'm setting another big one; give myself a challenge!

Goal: < 295 by Friday, January 6th
    3lbs in 3days? Yes I Can!
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone ... Just popping in to let you know that while I've been able to limit my time on the computer by not posting, I'm still regularly catching up on reading this thread. There was a nice influx of new posters this past week or so and I hope they come back often to liven up the pot of supporters on here.

Hope everyone had an enjoyable new year celebration and is ready to tackle 2017 with your weight loss efforts.

AFM ...
    Tuesday - Goals (do you have any Goals you want to update us?)

One of the challenges I'm in had us post a monthly weight loss goal ... which really made me have to think realistically about how much I can accomplish; what with hefty weight fluctuations from any one day to the next. And, as we know, or suspect, losing weight is not a linear thing even if we stay at the same calorie intake and output from one day to the next, one week to the next, etc. I've read some interesting research into this and realize, like some of you have, that as long as the trend is downward the consistency will pay off.

A new way of thinking about my weight loss progress has popped into my head ... I usually weight myself first thing in the morning, and am usually undressed. However, this time I was fully dressed and even had my shoes on when I stepped on the scale. As I did, a memory of me scurring to find the lightest clothes and easiest to slip of shoes for doctor appointments floated into my thoughts. I realized ... I want to lose enough weight that I won't be concerned about that 4-6 pounds clothing and shoes adds to our weight ...

I want to get weighed with my shoes on! An be OK with it.
    Good luck as the month goes for you. As long as the end weight is lower than the start weight, you did great!
  • Dalceridae
    Dalceridae Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    That's a great realisation @Nikion901 - and I think the way I look at weight loss is starting to change for the better with more exposure to this site and to the great wisdom of others who have been successful. I used to have a very linear, very strict view on weight loss, and I think that played a large part in why I would give up after a few months. If the number on the scale didn't go down, I had failed, and I would get so discouraged. I set high goals for myself for big losses, and if I didn't reach them, I felt I had failed.

I think I am finally getting into the mindset that this isn't just something I suffer through for as short a time as possible until I am thin. I want to be healthy for life (at least as much as is in my control), and that won't stop once I reach my goal weight. It's ok for it to take time, and I'm doing my best to not push myself for fast loss, thinking instead about sustainable habits.

The long journey doesn't have to be a miserable experience either. I am enjoying walking and enjoying eating food that makes me feel good.
  • Misnomer971
    Options
    I usually run into trouble when I start graphing out goal weights for the future. I have SO MUCH weight to lose!
    I have to remember to just take it one day at a time, one meal at a time.
    Yes! When I started that program in September I also started seeing a therapist, just to try to make sure that this time the changes I make "stick." He expressed a little dismay when I told him how much weight I'm hoping to lose both mid-term and long-term, because he didn't want me to feel daunted or be discouraged in the face of such big numbers. He suggested breaking the big numbers down into smaller chunks, and not assigning timelines or dates to anything. That has been very helpful to me. The last time I saw him he used the phrase "bad days," and I told him that I prefer/tend not to think in terms of entire days being bad; just individual meals. He was happy to hear that.

@birgitkwood -- Thanks for the congrats/encouragement! I've lost 27 pounds so far, and I definitely notice the difference. I try to appreciate the little NSVs, like the fact that I can actually walk a mile on the treadmill at 3mph (which seemed impossible three months ago). I love your story about sitting down and getting up just because you could! :smiley: I live near DC, and every December my best friends and I go downtown to see the White House and Capitol trees. We always have to park several blocks away from the White House tree, and this year I noticed that walking through the city was easier and I wasn't as winded as in years past. That was a nice little unexpected NSV.

@skinnyjeanzbound -- Thank you! :)

@Nikion901 -- I actually laughed out loud when I read "I want to get weighed with my shoes on! An be OK with it." Mostly because I can't imagine that...ha!

I am fighting so much with my scale right now. I know the right way to do it is to weigh myself once a week at the same time of day and wearing (roughly) the same clothes, but sometimes I just can't avoid stepping on it once or twice a day and the numbers are all over the place. Yesterday, four hours made a 1.5 pound difference! So I feel like it's hard for me to really know whether I'm losing weight, and if so how much. I write down what the scale says every time, and I note the time of day and whether I'm clothed, and I figure the important thing will be to keep an eye on trends. And I really should just do the once-a-week thing. I think part of me feels like my weight is never "official" if I'm taking it myself -- I won't really know where I stand until the next time I go to the doctor, later this month.
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options
    I posted this on my profile last night, and I need to read it every single day. I should just write it down somewhere and stick it where I'll see it:

*Note to self: Food is fuel. Eating is not evil. Being hungry is not a physical defect. Stop being mean to yourself because you want to eat. And stop being mean to yourself because you ate something that's not considered healthy. A couple cookies, a cup of coffee with the fancy creamer, or a dinner out are not going to result in gaining back 50 pounds. Going over your calorie limit by a little is not the end of the world. Going over by a lot every now and then is not the end of the world, either. Learn to eat normally. People without weight issues do not stress a bad food day. Learn to eat like you would eat at maintenance because one day you WILL be there.

I have been kicking my own butt regularly over the last 10 days because I haven't been able to keep my fingers out of the holiday treats. Last night, hubby and I finished some of them off, and I put the rest away so they are no longer a temptation, sitting out in plain sight.

My step bet challenge ends on Sunday, and I will be moving my exercise from walking an hour a day to using the elliptical, and starting c25k. Walking alone doesn't even make difference in my breathing anymore, so I need something a little more challenging. I am also going to start slowly raising my calories by approx 100 per week to find the sweet spot of 2 pounds per week with my exercise. I don't trust the exercise calories, but by not eating them (before Christmas) I was losing more than 3 pounds a week. And I want to eat as much as I can and still lose 2 pounds per week. I really don't want to mess up my metabolism.

I hope you all are having a great day!
  • pneschich
    pneschich Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm back on it all, not so much exercise due to the boot, but I'm giving it a try. Logging and weighing and self responsibility. 8 pounds gained over the holiday should fall right off. It hasn't had time to unpack and get comfortable yet
  • RunawayCurves
    RunawayCurves Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I baked two different kinds of cup cakes and several nut loaves today. Still not eating healthy but am feeling a bit better. I have come to conclusion that I will remain morbidly obese for as long as it takes me to get over myself and accept I do not and never will look like Scarlett Johannson. I am so supperficial ,it serves me right to be huge. My eating is part self medicating the bipolar. I honestly believe I would have killed myself decades ago without the food to turn to. Much as I loath binge eating dissorder and being morbodly obese and unhealthy, I must also thank the food binges for being there to get me through where all medications and other support systems failed. So 50% is down to food binges being most effective self medication to date, the other 50% is almost a self harm punishing myself for not being good enough. Maybe if I could just get over myself and accept I am not societies beauty ideal, have a kinder vision and value myself for my inner beauty as I try to do others, maybe then I would be in less emotional pain during bipolar crashes and need less food to medicate myself with. So I am just not going to focus on the fat, I need to focus on seeing my inner beauty.
  • coolbluecris
    coolbluecris Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I baked two different kinds of cup cakes and several nut loaves today. Still not eating healthy but am feeling a bit better. I have come to conclusion that I will remain morbidly obese for as long as it takes me to get over myself and accept I do not and never will look like Scarlett Johannson. I am so supperficial ,it serves me right to be huge. My eating is part self medicating the bipolar. I honestly believe I would have killed myself decades ago without the food to turn to. Much as I loath binge eating dissorder and being morbodly obese and unhealthy, I must also thank the food binges for being there to get me through where all medications and other support systems failed. So 50% is down to food binges being most effective self medication to date, the other 50% is almost a self harm punishing myself for not being good enough. Maybe if I could just get over myself and accept I am not societies beauty ideal, have a kinder vision and value myself for my inner beauty as I try to do others, maybe then I would be in less emotional pain during bipolar crashes and need less food to medicate myself with. So I am just not going to focus on the fat, I need to focus on seeing my inner beauty.

You sound like an interesting person, you have intellectualised everything like I have for many years too and I loved reading your post.

I finally decided that above all else, I just really like food, and if there's something really yummy in the house I usually eat it. That's normal! So I just don't buy overly tempting stuff anymore. And I try to not cook for enough to be left over. I find it's helped immensely.

You sound lovely, and I wish you an exciting and happy 2017 :-)
  • RachaelPooh
    Options
    @pneschich "it hasn't had time to unpack ..." :lol: lol Have you tried any chair exercises? You could still lift weights. :wink:
  • RachaelPooh
    Options
    Visceral fat (fat in the gut surrounding organs) is living. It releases hormones. Visceral fat can (negatively) effect your emotions. I believe (at least some of) my depression is due to the high amount of visceral fat I've had most of my life.
  • Dalceridae
    Dalceridae Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    The cool IT guy in work helped with a new desk set up, so now I can alternate between sitting and standing. I'm very excited as I know long periods of sitting are linked to all kinds of health problems, and this will help me be less sedentary in my daily life now that I'm not tied to a chair 8 hours a day. I stood for a few hours this morning, and I struggled a bit more on my lunchtime walk. Wouldn't have realised that standing is so much more active. I will break it up throughout the day as 100+lbs makes it harder on the knees and feet to stand for long periods, and I don't want to overdue it.

Very happy with the new set-up though! :smile:
  • Misnomer971
    Options
    @Dalceridae -- We have height-adjustable desks at work, but I find it very hard to concentrate while standing (and it's impossible to type while standing). I'm 99% sure that's just habit and conditioning, but we've had these desks for a year now and I haven't been able to stand and work yet. It's awesome that you were able to stand for a few hours!
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options
    YOU GUYS.

I have awesome family and friends. So many people are bothered by the request for gift cards as a Christmas/birthday/whatever celebration. I am so glad people get it when I invariably answer 'AMAZON GIFT CARD' to the question "What do you want for x?" Because they actually listened this year, I was able to order my FitBit Charge 2 (that I otherwise would not have been able to afford) for just $10.37 (the taxes) because I collected $150 worth of Amazon gift cards between my birthday in October and Christmas. I don't think the people that are bothered by giving gift cards "because I want to give you something personal and meaningful!" realize that there is probably something specific we want but costs too much to ask for as a gift.

So, I am thrilled, and can't wait to get it in and use it! My One is a little outdated and doesn't seem to hold it's charge as long as it used to. I am so incredibly grateful. I had to share. :)