Ok so if you have a Calorie deficit everyday does that guarantee weight loss??

Options

Replies

• iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Initially probably, but I have been on maintenance for 18 months, use (many) more cals than I eat, and don't lose anything (which is intentional, but still, it is an answer to your question)
  • bossyfairy
    bossyfairy Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    You need to figure out what works for you e.g, are you motivated to / can you fit in exercise daily? Or is twice a week a better goal? What are your trigger points (e.g. Snacking in the evenings)

My mum has lost weight by calorie counting and cutting portion sizes. She hasn't really increased her exercising but amount of food was the issue. Not anything ridiculous but by not eating the same amount as my Dad and using smaller plates. Plates are bigger now than they were in the 70s and 80s (in the U.K. anyway, don't know about other places)
    It's got to be a long term sustainable change so 'clean' eating won't be what everyone wants for a sustainable change.

Also you might find that you lose inches (e.g. If you do the 30 day shred) but the scales won't move much so like a person above said you can use an item of clothing to measure progress. I do this as I just get an issue / obsessed with weighing myself which isn't healthy either.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Wanna make sure I ain't wasting my time

Not wasting your time. It works for me. You will have good days and bad days, but in the long term it works.
  • SymbolismNZ
    SymbolismNZ Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    The point I'm making is that in my personal opinion, if your sole focus is "I can eat anything I want so long as I don't go over my calorie limit", you won't have sustainable long term success.
  • SymbolismNZ
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

You're dismissive of low carb and yet started a thread here saying you're doing keto. Which is low carb...

You can be mindful of what you eat without cutting out all that stuff you consider 'unclean'. It's called moderation. Which is a hell of a lot more feasible than never eating cake again in my world.

That's a common misunderstanding of Keto.

Keto isn't low carb; it's low net carb. ( Carb - Fibre = Net Carb) You still consume a pretty sizeable volume of your calories through carbs but in order to maintain a ketogenic state, you ensure the majority of those carbs come from high fibre sources ( Fruits, Nuts, Low Starch Vegetables, The right sorts of Sugar)

You're also working on a macro nutrient level that ensures your body is getting enough fuel in order to sustain itself, to ensure your appetite doesn't go off the chain and that you're not removing vital food groups from your diet.

Don't confuse "Eating anything I want" with eating...

In unlimited quantities
    without regard to overall nutrition

It usually means without being overly restrictive.

That's kind of my point though, if you're ultimately thinking solely in regards to quantities and total calorific count; you're not changing the underlying behavior you have towards food. I've been there and done too many times to count.

In summary; I don't just want to lose 50-60lbs and think "Job done", I want a lifestyle that I can follow for the rest of my life. My experience and general experience tends to indicate those that get into heavy states of overweight need to change their psychology towards food to have sustainable long term success.

• SymbolismNZ
    Options
    Keep in mind - scientifically proven that sugar (and particularly sucrose) makes you hungrier and crave more.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    The point I'm making is that in my personal opinion, if your sole focus is "I can eat anything I want so long as I don't go over my calorie limit", you won't have sustainable long term success.

Well, if that is what you meant, why say the bits about French fries, and eating clean and no added sugar???.

And addressing them to generic 'you' - saying this worked for me is quite different to saying you should all do this.