SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    suzievv wrote: »
    lorrpb wrote: »
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    I love bread this would kill me. Why do you feel the need to cut out bread? I eat bread daily, Sometimes for multiple meals. Iv lost just fine, And very fast :o

Several people said that cutting down on bread helps them reduce calories. Nothing difficult to understand about that!

Reduce yes, entirely eliminate, no..

The only reason to eliminate bread is if you have a medical reason to do so...

Or if you just don't want to eat bread.

Exactly! People can have a variety of reasons and make their own choices. Why would someone think they can decide what "the only reason" can be for someone else?

because these boards are filled with misinformation about evil breads and sugars and all kinds of other boogeyman ...barring a medical condition there is no reason to eliminate bread, unless one does not like the taste of it...

You still can't tell someone else what the "only reason" is for them. That's my point. For me I have a wheat allergy. The alternatives don't taste very good, are expensive, and high in calories I'd rather get elsewhere. I have several reasons that are my own. Why can't we support each other in finding what works for us as individuals?

If someone is getting positive results and feeling better I just don't understand why the instinct would be to tell them they are wrong rather than be happy for them in finding something that works for them.

When someone asks if they need to eliminate anything I would agree and understand telling them "absolutely not if you enjoy it and it fits in your cal goal". That is a much different scenario
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I love bread this would kill me. Why do you feel the need to cut out bread? I eat bread daily, Sometimes for multiple meals. Iv lost just fine, And very fast :o

Several people said that cutting down on bread helps them reduce calories. Nothing difficult to understand about that!

True. I wasn't aware that I had a medical reason to eliminate wheat. Until I eliminated it. My eczema vanished in six weeks. It was wonderful.

OP- congrats on your loss. I don't do bread either (or pasta, or other wheat based products). I can handle a small amount every once in a while, but too much brings on an eczema flare for me. I feel loads better without it!

• generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you found something that works for you and helps you feel good :)

I like bread BUT I like good quality, homemade FRESH bread so I end up eating it rarely. Now, if I make a batch of bread, fresh out of the oven with some butter you better bet I'm having a piece haha.

I also agree with the weighing of food- it makes a big difference.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I love bread. I particularly love daves killer bread (might be a nw novelty). Unfortunately, with a number of health things in my way, carbs do not let me lose weight well. So I minimize my carbs by eliminating bread. If I'm going to splurge it will be at a restaurant that serves a good sourdough with butter. And if I'm at that kind of place, I'm not caring about carbs or weight that night.
  • cardiacmommy
    cardiacmommy Posts: 52 Member
    Options

Exactly! People can have a variety of reasons and make their own choices. Why would someone think they can decide what "the only reason" can be for someone else?

because these boards are filled with misinformation about evil breads and sugars and all kinds of other boogeyman ...barring a medical condition there is no reason to eliminate bread, unless one does not like the taste of it...

Some of us like it toooo much. It's not very filling and it tastes delicious so it's very easy to over eat it. I have personally quit all sweets for over 1 year but I still eat bread... It's my weakness. The calories add up fast though.
  • joolieb1
    joolieb1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    For me it is a psychological reason. If I eat a little bread, it will have real butter on it (I am currently trying to reduce my cholesterol)! Also, my issue is that eating a little of something isn't possible for me - bread, crisps, cake, cookies, peanuts, chocolate - are all foods where a little doesn't happen! My health goals do not fit with them, my goal will not be reached by eating them. I understand the calorie deficit issue but I know myself and I make it easier to shut the door on such foods and learn to like other filling and healthy alternatives
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,055 Member
    Options
    Joolie, I dont think anyone is arguing that for you not eating bread has been a good decision - in fact that would be a very odd stance to take since you are happy with not eating it and your weight loss has been working.

For me I dont eat a lot of bread but I do like a sandwich or roll or toast now and then and this has fit in fine with my calories and my goals.

Like you said, we all make our own food choices, depending on our goals and our likes/dislikes - and our health issues if relevant.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    joolieb1 wrote: »
    I use digital scales and weigh all my food. I am very active, run three times a week and walk - never eat my exercise calories back and I lost weight consistently for some time. However, I got to a place where I was stuck and not losing. Although we all know that being calorie deficient results in weight loss, I still think changing things can refocus the body and mind again. Everyone is still unique and for me physically, I think that much refined wheat was not good for my digestion. Mentally, I love bread with butter and so I was putting a lot of empty calories into my body and using up a lot of my daily calories. Now I am using these on fruit, vegetables, whole grain cous cous - feeling less tired, more comfortable and healthier - one more pound, I will be in the 10 stone bracket

Reposting this as op clearly said she loves bread....if you love bread you can still eat it and lose weight, period.

Find a lower calorie bread to replace the higher calorie bread or just reduce overall calories.
    How long do you think you can eliminate something you love?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    I went back and read through the posts. No one called bread evil. They don't eat bread because...

A. It helps control their calories
    B. They don't like bread
    C. Bread doesn't agree with their stomachs

I understand all three of those reasons especially "C". I have a yeast intolerance so breads that contain yeast has been take off my diet.

I said these boards, not this thread, as in mfp as a whole....
  • ndj1979
    Options

Some of us like it toooo much. It's not very filling and it tastes delicious so it's very easy to over eat it. I have personally quit all sweets for over 1 year but I still eat bread... It's my weakness. The calories add up fast though.

Two slices of bread can be 90 calories....
  • tlflag1620
    Options
    I use digital scales and weigh all my food. I am very active, run three times a week and walk - never eat my exercise calories back and I lost weight consistently for some time. However, I got to a place where I was stuck and not losing. Although we all know that being calorie deficient results in weight loss, I still think changing things can refocus the body and mind again. Everyone is still unique and for me physically, I think that much refined wheat was not good for my digestion. Mentally, I love bread with butter and so I was putting a lot of empty calories into my body and using up a lot of my daily calories. Now I am using these on fruit, vegetables, whole grain cous cous - feeling less tired, more comfortable and healthier - one more pound, I will be in the 10 stone bracket

Reposting this as op clearly said she loves bread....if you love bread you can still eat it and lose weight, period.

Find a lower calorie bread to replace the higher calorie bread or just reduce overall calories.

So far? 3 years and 6 months.

I love bread, but my body apparently doesn't agree with my mouth. I love bread a lot less than I love having hands that aren't chronically itchy, cracked, and bleeding. Now, yes, you would categorize this as a medical reason. And it is. But if I hadn't eliminated bread as part of a LCHF diet that I started purely for weight loss purposes (lost 50 lbs in seven months have have kept it off since February 2014), I never would have known that it was causing my chronic eczema (suffered with that for seven years - tried everything to get rid of it and nothing worked).

Point is, sometimes we don't know something (even something we "love") is causing us issues until we eliminate it.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »

I love bread, but my body apparently doesn't agree with my mouth. I love bread a lot less than I love having hands that aren't chronically itchy, cracked, and bleeding. Now, yes, you would categorize this as a medical reason. And it is. But if I hadn't eliminated bread as part of a LCHF diet that I started purely for weight loss purposes (lost 50 lbs in seven months have have kept it off since February 2014), I never would have known that it was causing my chronic eczema (suffered with that for seven years - tried everything to get rid of it and nothing worked).

Point is, sometimes we don't know something (even something we "love") is causing us issues until we eliminate it.

you have a medical condition, OP does not....

I clearly stated if one has a food allergy then it should be avoided/eliminated.
  • ndj1979
    Options

you have a medical condition, OP does not....

I clearly stated if one has a food allergy then it should be avoided/eliminated.

I didn't know my eczema was related to wheat consumption until I eliminated wheat. OP did say she feels better (I'd have to go back and look, lots of people chimed in about gastro issues improving when they eliminated bread, I think she was one of them). That's a good enough reason. At least, IMO.

Had I followed the 'everything in moderation/balanced diet/don't eliminate anything or you'll binge' theory, I never would have figured out what was causing my medical condition....

Point is (again), sometimes eliminating something reveals that it was problematic, after all, even if you "love" it.

FWIW - I was always afraid to eliminate things precisely because of (well intentioned) advice from people who subscribe to your way of thinking. I thought it would be too hard or unsustainable; I thought it would lead to binging or endless cravings. So for decades I did the whole calorie counting thing. And failed. Eliminating and/or heavily restricting foods worked for me. It works for some others. There is no one size fits all. A medical condition is one reason to eliminate certain foods, but not the only reason. It was a happy coincidence that eliminating wheat cleared my skin condition. I never would have figured it out if I hadn't finally ignored the "everything in moderation" dogma.

where did OP say that bread causes any kind of problem for her?
  • tlflag1620
    Options
    Ummm... In her first post.

"...my tummy feels better..."

• tlflag1620
    Options
    She also mentioned, further down, that she is "less tired, more comfortable, and feels healthier" since replacing the breads with fruit and veg.

Why is that not good enough reason?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    She also mentioned, further down, that she is "less tired, more comfortable, and feels healthier" since replacing the breads with fruit and veg.

those feelings can be attributed to weight loss in general, and she never tied them specifically to bread...at least the post that I read..
  • super50loser
    super50loser Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You go girl
  • tlflag1620
    Options

those feelings can be attributed to weight loss in general, and she never tied them specifically to bread...at least the post that I read..

That's true, but she also mentioned her "tummy feels better". Not sure how losing weight would make your stomach issues magically dissappear, but eliminating something that was causing distress sure could.