To run or to roll?!

Options

Replies

• chinupsforchinese
    chinupsforchinese Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    Good luck to you. I'm planning on doing a half marathon in November 2017 and I'm taking 10 whole months to train for it.

I can't imagine training to run 26 miles in 3 months.

Good luck for your half.

In my half being mentally strong was just important as the physical, so stay positive :-)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Jakep2323 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    This sounds like a really good way to injure yourself either before or during the event. If you were looking for cheerleaders to say "atta girl you got this" I don't think you'll get a lot here. And if you do, I don't recommend listening to them because that seems like reckless advice.

A marathon is not something you can just show up for. Is there a shorter race that same weekend that is part of the overall lineup of events? Many of the marathons here include half marathon events, 10K, 5K or fun runs.

Have you trained for a marathon? Are you a long distance runner? I don't know, but the internet seems to be full of 3 month training programmes. Sure, it is not ideal but why not shoot for the moon. If the op doesn't complete the distance then that will be a shame - but at least she gave it a shot :)

i just had a quick google and couldn't find any plans that started with a base mileage of 0 working up to marathon distance in 12 weeks. do you have a link to the ones you have seen?

the 'beginner' 12 week plan i found started at 25k per week... which isn't 'beginner' as in not a runner.
  • Karbum
    Karbum Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hey... I see further down in the thread you mentioned it was only 5K. If that is the case, then go for it!!! You got this! I think when people originally hear marathon, they are thinking something much different. 5k in 3 months is very doable! Good luck!!!
    Hi all,

I am the least natural runner, and am not light enough that anything about running is good for me. As such I can't remember the last time I ran... However... I'm signed up to run the London marathon in March!! I currently think I'd be quicker rolling in after all the Christmas insurgence
  • chinupsforchinese
    chinupsforchinese Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I appreciate your thoughts. But being new to the community side and forums I think they aren't beneficial to me.

Good luck with all your goals x
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Karbum wrote: »
    Hey... I see further down in the thread you mentioned it was only 5K. If that is the case, then go for it!!! You got this! I think when people originally hear marathon, they are thinking something much different. 5k in 3 months is very doable! Good luck!!!

where does it say its a 5k?
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I could see doing a half in 12 weeks... But a full? Eek. Good luck.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am the least natural runner, and am not light enough that anything about running is good for me. As such I can't remember the last time I ran... Last January, while at home with a broken foot, I signed up for a half marathon (after watching obese a year to save your life, where they often do a marathon at the 6 month mark) a few months later. I didn't tell anyone, the couple who did find out said I wouldn't be able to do it as I couldn't even do 5k at the start. Had I not made the jump and signed up I wouldn't of achieved that goal, along with 10k and 10 mile races beforehand However... I'm signed up to run the London marathon in March!! I currently think I'd be quicker rolling in after all the Christmas insurgence

Which is it? You can't remember the last time you ran or you've successfully completed a Half Marathon last year after doing 10K and 10 mile races before that?

IF you did compete in a half last year and have run several 10Ks and 10 Milers then, perhaps you are not the completely inexperienced runner your initial post made you out to be.

Sounding a lot like blueeyez939 from the post I cited above.

Again, keep us up on your workouts, progression and result.

The two users are different - they don't use the same wordings etc. I highly doubt the OP will be looking to keep the people on this thread 'updated' lol. The OP does have previous fitness experience and the post was meant to be more tongue in cheek regarding rolling the distance. Everyone should just wish her luck, but that is my opinion

You don't need luck if you train properly. Why chance injury to luck? I wish you could see why just simply wishing somebody luck doesn't necessarily lead to positive results.
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Oh, Lawd. Look, I have run in many 5K's, 10K's, Half-Marathon's, etc. I can get out today, after only running 5 times in 2016, and run a 5K no problem. However, there is no way I would try to run a marathon in 12 weeks, especially if I couldn't remember the last time I ran. That's a serious event and only those who have properly trained for the event should run it. Please reconsider.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure 12 weeks is long enough to prepare for a full marathon...especially if you hate running.
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I am the least natural runner, and am not light enough that anything about running is good for me. As such I can't remember the last time I ran... Last January, while at home with a broken foot, I signed up for a half marathon (after watching obese a year to save your life, where they often do a marathon at the 6 month mark) a few months later. I didn't tell anyone, the couple who did find out said I wouldn't be able to do it as I couldn't even do 5k at the start. Had I not made the jump and signed up I wouldn't of achieved that goal, along with 10k and 10 mile races beforehand However... I'm signed up to run the London marathon in March!! I currently think I'd be quicker rolling in after all the Christmas insurgence

Which is it? You can't remember the last time you ran or you've successfully completed a Half Marathon last year after doing 10K and 10 mile races before that?

IF you did compete in a half last year and have run several 10Ks and 10 Milers then, perhaps you are not the completely inexperienced runner your initial post made you out to be.

The two users are different - they don't use the same wordings etc. I highly doubt the OP will be looking to keep the people on this thread 'updated' lol. The OP does have previous fitness experience and the post was meant to be more tongue in cheek regarding rolling the distance. Everyone should just wish her luck, but that is my opinion

You don't need luck if you train properly. Why chance injury to luck? I wish you could see why just simply wishing somebody luck doesn't necessarily lead to positive results.

I didn't say it would lead to positive results - if you read above I said she may not finish the race. I'm not saying to box with David Haye, I'm saying train for the race and see how well you can do. Going outside now and running a marathon would be insane but building up slowly but surely should be fine. If you start to feel pain or discomfort then check in with a doctor or physio but otherwise give it your best shot :)

Have you ever ran a marathon, much less trained for one? 12 weeks isn't long enough when you can't even remember the last time you ran.
  • moesis
    moesis Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Mental training is just as important as physical training. Your body is going to hurt, you will be in pain. Through years of painful runs in the Army I learned how to mentally disassociate while focusing on my breathing, stride, arm position. Good luck!
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I didn't say it would lead to positive results - if you read above I said she may not finish the race. I'm not saying to box with David Haye, I'm saying train for the race and see how well you can do. Going outside now and running a marathon would be insane but building up slowly but surely should be fine. If you start to feel pain or discomfort then check in with a doctor or physio but otherwise give it your best shot :)

The bold statement lets me know that you have no clue what it takes to train for a marathon. What part of a 12 week training program sounds "slowly and surely" for a marathon?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Run_Fit wrote: »
    Hi all,

Have you ever ran a marathon, much less trained for one? 12 weeks isn't long enough when you can't even remember the last time you ran.

^^^This is spot on. The year I ran my first marathon I had been "distance" running for about 6 years, and pretty seriously for 2-3yrs. That year I ran a ton of 5K's, a couple 10K's a couple 1/2's, as well as some 14-16 mile training runs on top of my standard daily 5mile training runs.

When I ran my 2nd marathon, that year I didn't do much more than my daily 5mile runs, 5K's, and I think one 1/2 marathon.....I lost over an hour off of my time and was sick for two days because I wasn't ready. To be honest, I haven't been the same runner since. 12 weeks to go from 0 to 26miles is cray cray.
  • MrsCoby78
    MrsCoby78 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've done 16 halfs and 4 fulls. And this whole thing sounds super troll-ey.

• pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I appreciate your thoughts. But being new to the community side and forums I think they aren't beneficial to me.

Good luck with all your goals x

I trained for 6 months for a 25K. I dropped 30lbs and was the leanest and most conditioned I had ever been in my life and still by mile 14 I was hurting because I still wasn't completely prepared.

People are here are telling you to be realistic because they know what goes into that kind of distance running but you won't listen and you take it offensively as negativity.

We're not saying it can't be done, but I hope you have a heck of a pain tolerance. You flat out said you're not light and nothing about running is good for you.... but, I guess finishing is the accomplishment to some people, even if you walk half of it.

Also, as someone mentioned, the London Marathon isn't in March. It's at the end of April.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Karbum wrote: »

where does it say its a 5k?

It doesn't. She later came back and said 5K isn't enough of a stretch goal for her so she's going forward with her plan to run the London marathon (which is on April 23rd) in March.