Options
    Celiac disease... gluten intolerant?
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    joolieb1 wrote: »
    I use digital scales and weigh all my food. I am very active, run three times a week and walk - never eat my exercise calories back and I lost weight consistently for some time. However, I got to a place where I was stuck and not losing. Although we all know that being calorie deficient results in weight loss, I still think changing things can refocus the body and mind again. Everyone is still unique and for me physically, I think that much refined wheat was not good for my digestion. Mentally, I love bread with butter and so I was putting a lot of empty calories into my body and using up a lot of my daily calories. Now I am using these on fruit, vegetables, whole grain cous cous - feeling less tired, more comfortable and healthier - one more pound, I will be in the 10 stone bracket

Reposting this as op clearly said she loves bread....if you love bread you can still eat it and lose weight, period.

Find a lower calorie bread to replace the higher calorie bread or just reduce overall calories.
    How long do you think you can eliminate something you love?

So far? 3 years and 6 months.

I love bread, but my body apparently doesn't agree with my mouth. I love bread a lot less than I love having hands that aren't chronically itchy, cracked, and bleeding. Now, yes, you would categorize this as a medical reason. And it is. But if I hadn't eliminated bread as part of a LCHF diet that I started purely for weight loss purposes (lost 50 lbs in seven months have have kept it off since February 2014), I never would have known that it was causing my chronic eczema (suffered with that for seven years - tried everything to get rid of it and nothing worked).

Point is, sometimes we don't know something (even something we "love") is causing us issues until we eliminate it.

I have many years experience dealing with severe food allergies. One of the things we learned over those years is that when a person absolutely loves a food (or craves it), *or* hates a food so much that they won't touch it, it makes them gag, etc., it very often means they have an allergy to it. The body is innately wise. If we listen to it, we are healthier for it. I would be willing to bet if OP were to do an ELISA test they'd show up allergic to gluten, wheat, and/or yeast, just based on how she feels physically when she eats bread. Listening to one's body is a good thing in this case. :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    She also mentioned that she cannot moderate bread (among other things) and that since she knows this about herself, she has chosen to eliminate, rather than fail to reach her health goals simply because she happens to like something that she can't moderate.

Why is it so important to you that she incorporate bread @ndj1979 ? I find that curious...

it is not, I am just pointing out the futility of eliminating something that one loves, when it is not necessary for weight loss.

why is it so important to you that she does eliminate it?
  • angela2002612
    angela2002612 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've never eaten a lot of bread, as I don't really like it. Recently, I have started eating 1/2 to 1 bagel a day. I'm find this is helping me to reach my carb intake. I find it really hard to each the carb intake, I also manage the protein. I need to each more veggies as well.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    She also mentioned that she cannot moderate bread (among other things) and that since she knows this about herself, she has chosen to eliminate, rather than fail to reach her health goals simply because she happens to like something that she can't moderate.

Why is it so important to you that she incorporate bread @ndj1979 ? I find that curious...

There is a tendency in these forums, particularly this one, to condemn some foods as inherently bad. Sometimes it's bread, sometimes it's other things. In this instance we have a thread title that alludes to eliminating bread and counting calories as the reason for success. She's been successful, well done.

Clearly it's not been eliminating bread, but making other food choices within a calorie goal. It's pretty clear from the original post that it was being in calorie surplus that led to weight gain.

It's also not inherently unhealthy except for a fairly small subset of people. Actual levels of gluten intolerance appear to be extremely low compared to the scale of the Gluten Free religion industry.

Some people choose not to eat bread, and that's fine. Lets not just attribute something that it's not. That's all.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options

There is a tendency in these forums, particularly this one, to condemn some foods as inherently bad. Sometimes it's bread, sometimes it's other things. In this instance we have a thread title that alludes to eliminating bread and counting calories as the reason for success. She's been successful, well done.

Clearly it's not been eliminating bread, but making other food choices within a calorie goal. It's pretty clear from the original post that it was being in calorie surplus that led to weight gain.

It's also not inherently unhealthy except for a fairly small subset of people. Actual levels of gluten intolerance appear to be extremely low compared to the scale of the Gluten Free religion industry.

Some people choose not to eat bread, and that's fine. Lets not just attribute something that it's not. That's all.

I didn't see where the OP demonized bread (or gluten), nor where she attributed all of her success to eliminating bread (other than mentioning that it is one of those foods she has trouble moderating, personally). She appears well aware of how calories work (from her follow up posts).

There is a tendancy in these forums for some to condemn eliminating foods as inherently bad. For some people, it probably is (those that end up wanting those "forbidden" items all the more), and, as I said, I could understand jumping in and insisting that the OP should incorporate bread IF she was complaining of craving it and subsequently binging on it (or if she gave up bread, didn't lose wieght, and couldn't figure out why).

OP eliminated bread, feels better, lost weight (through a calorie deficit), and was sharing her success. And someone had to come along and insist that she is better off eating bread because no one should ever eliminate anything without a medical reason even if they feel better and find it easier to stick to their goals without it.... Hmmm.

OP - sorry your thread got hijacked by the anti-elimination religion brigade. Congrats on the success!

• MeanderingMammal
    Options
    I didn't see where the OP demonized bread (or gluten)

Didn't say she did. I also don't think she interpreted the initial observation as criticism. I'm amused at the spirited defence against an imagined slight.

• tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I didn't see where the OP demonized bread (or gluten)

Didn't say she did. I also don't think she interpreted the initial observation as criticism. I'm amused at the spirited defence against an imagined slight.

The initial observation was all fine, well, and good. The insistence the the "only reason" to eliminate anything is for medical conditions, and that a life without bread is "torture" was made by ndj1979. And was rather hysterical and deserved to be called out. If he doesn't want to eliminate foods, and that works for him, great! But why the insistence that it can't work for anyone (unless you have a medical condition... then it somehow magically becomes sustainable and not "torutre"... not seeing the logic there).

It wasn't a defense against a perceived slight so much as a calling out of blanket statements, histrionic language, and my-way-or-the-highway rantings....
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    But it has been eliminating bread, because by doing that the OP has been able to maintain the needed calorie deficit, and has stated that her stomach feels better as well.

I'm feeling a great deal of sympathy for the originator at the moment, as this could easily turn into a sentence by sentence deconstruction of how we each interpreted her words.

I've read what she's said somewhat differently.

Equally you can unpick a half sentence within a response and attack that. Fine. Feel free.

• EBauerHaus
    EBauerHaus Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've never been a huge fan of bread, but it's cheap. So last time I was cutting calories, a lot of my diet consisted of ham sandwiches... and it worked for me. It's 5-ish years since then and bread (basically ANY carbs) gives me heartburn. :(
    So my current diet is very low-carb and I haven't had to take a Tums in a month.
  • EBauerHaus
    EBauerHaus Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Also, congrats! You look lovely!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't really eat much bread either (I'm not that into it -- overeating it is not a concern at all), but I think the point people were making this that you may not perceive bread as filling, but some others do, there's not some common rule that it's better to cut out bread to lose weight or that it's bad for weight loss. Having a calorie deficit would work whether or not you ate bread (but if you think you'd not be able to keep a calorie deficit if you ate bread, not eating it makes sense -- for me it's just there are more interesting ways to use my calories!). ;-)

Smart to figure out ways to make it easier for yourself, though, and good job.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I don't really eat much bread either (I'm not that into it -- overeating it is not a concern at all), but I think the point people were making this that you may not perceive bread as filling, but some others do, there's not some common rule that it's better to cut out bread to lose weight or that it's bad for weight loss. Having a calorie deficit would work whether or not you ate bread (but if you think you'd not be able to keep a calorie deficit if you ate bread, not eating it makes sense -- for me it's just there are more interesting ways to use my calories!). ;-)

Smart to figure out ways to make it easier for yourself, though, and good job.

^This. I have celiac disease and have to eat gluten free bread, and it's just not something I find worth the calories. I choose not to eat it either because it's not filling.