Ketogenic Diet: would anyone like to share their experiences good or bad?

Options
I have tried several diets in the past without much success. A friend recently suggested keto and I've done quite a bit of research online (mostly youtube) and to be honest it sounds a bit too good to be true. I would really appreciate it if anyone who has, or is currently eating this way would share their experiences. :smile:

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I also did Atkins years ago...I was successful at losing 45lbs. At first it was fun eating bacon & cheese all the time and I felt full of energy but I missed my pizza and mostly potatoes. When I came off I regained my weight I couldn't eat high fat & moderate carbs without gaining.

It works just as any calorie deficit will work. Some feel more satisfied eating less on Keto and initially the weight comes off faster but after about 6 months it averages out to the same as any calorie deficit diet. It helps some with their cravings for sweets.

If you think you can stick to it I say try it BUT it works best if you make it a lifestyle and not just a "diet", this is true for all "diets" its best to maintain your loss on the "diet" you lost on to be successful. RARELY does anyone lose weight on one way of eating and then switch to another without gaining the weight back.

So very true. If you go back to what you did before, you get fat like you were before. The change in eating, or how your approach food, needs to be for your entire life.

That being said, I've done keto for a good year and a half and still like it. I plan on doing it for the foreseeable future. I have gone off of it, and gone to low carb, but I don't feel as good so it is back to keto for me.

Keto helps reduce my appetite and carb cravings. It makes it easier to eat less. It also helps control my blood glucose and autoimmune issues, which seems to help me burn slightly more calories. A low carb diet usually results in just a handful more pounds lost (6lbs in a year is the number I remember) but for many the advantage is not having to fight hunger, steadier energy and enjoying the food.

For those whom it works, keto is great. For those who are metabolically healthy, with no insulin resistance or CAD (about half of all people), keto does not offer any weight loss advantage.

Check out the groups linked above.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I did keto for a few months and hated it. I was always hungry. Carbs satiate me.
  • LishaT15
    LishaT15 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I started Keto on 12/27/16 and I have lost 8lbs so far. I'm no expert I just found a Keto calculator put in my info to get my macros & the journey begins. Eight days 8lbs so far so good. I have been told that Keto is a lifestyle not a diet. I do not get hungry often, I only eat when my stomach grumbles & my energy level is amazing.
  • Emilyoutland
    Emilyoutland Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I had great results from a ketogenic diet many years ago. It was called Lean for Life. I wasn't hungry, and I felt really good after the first few days. Many of the people I know who do ketogenic diets long term end up having problems with their gallbladder, but I only was on it 6 months.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    The best diet, is one that is sustainable for you. Restricting a whole macronutrient dis not sustainable for me, so I don't do it.
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I did keto for 6 months and lost around 40lbs.

It was completely unsustainable for me, though. I enjoy eating carbs. So when I stopped keto, my eating was out of control and I gained it all back. Now I'm sticking with calorie counting, and I lose just fine with it since I'm still at the same calorie deficit.
  • getoffin1year
    getoffin1year Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have pre-diabetic symptoms so sugar and carbs are dangerous for me. Before my last pregnancy I lost 30lbs in a few short months on a strict keto diet. I also felt a better quality of life. For those that like instant gratificafion, it is greaf. Unfortunately I gained it all back and then some during and post-pregnancy. I started again on 12-8-16 with a bit of cheating around the holidays and in less than a month I've lost 21lbs. There's an immediate weight loss but I assume that is water weight, I remember reading an actual science report on it but I wouldn't paraphrase it correctly. Anyway, it works for me as long as I maintain a calorie deficit as well. I have a carb intolerance so i will have to maintain keto for life.
  • takeluck42
    takeluck42 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just started keto last week, so I'm still very much new to it. The plus side: I am never hungry. Paying attention to my macros and prioritizing fat has so far meant that I am having zero issues with hunger. Quite the opposite in fact, I have had some days that I'm too full to meet my calorie goal without feeling sick. There are tons of foods that I can eat that I enjoy and I'm finding tons and tons of recipes and ideas. The r/keto subreddit is pretty great.

The con: I initially approached this as a 30 day challenge thing and that's already changed. I'm now looking at this as a long term, possibly permanent dietary shift. And truthfully, the strictness I'm currently implementing (<20g carbs/day, I'm ignoring net carbs) is not doable. So there are definitely going to be things I am eliminating from my life probably completely. Which I don't love. But! I found keto flu to be really clarifying for me, in that if I feel this much like crap from stopping eating certain foods (carb rich) I probably shouldn't be making my body dependent on them.

There's also lots of research from the WHO that adults shouldn't be exceeding 25g of added sugars (not the same as natural carbs obvs) per day, so there's plenty of evidence to support the science of low carb.
  • TasnimEz
    TasnimEz Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I did and it made me sick. Muscle pain, stomach pain, constant nausea. Sure, I lost some weight but it wasn't worth it. I gave it up when finally one day I started vomiting and felt like I never wanted to eat again. Nope, just wasn't for me.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    TasnimEz wrote: »
    I did and it made me sick. Muscle pain, stomach pain, constant nausea. Sure, I lost some weight but it wasn't worth it. I gave it up when finally one day I started vomiting and felt like I never wanted to eat again. Nope, just wasn't for me.

This might have been the electrolyte imbalance. If you cut carbs, insulin goes down and water is lost. Along with that water goes electrolytes which causes, fatigue, headaches, crankiness, nausea, BM issues, muscle aches and eventually cramping. Many find they need 3000-5000+ mg of sodium per day, which is 1-2+ tsp of salt. If people let that go more than a few days they'll need potassium and magnesium too.

It almost sounds a bit like it could be a gall bladder issue too.

• TasnimEz
    TasnimEz Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    After my first 3 months of feeling awful and going back to eating carbs I actually gave it another shot, because I really believed it's the best way to eat. One day in and I was vomiting. Messed me up pretty good. Never had these issues, only while eating low carb.
    Many keep saying that you should just hang in there, it will pass, but for some it doesn't and I believe it can be bad for your health. I don't know, maybe I had some underlying issue and that's why I felt horrible, but I would advice anyone trying low carb to listen to your body. It's normal to feel a bit off the first week or so but if it's more than that, just be careful.