Ketogenic Diet: would anyone like to share their experiences good or bad?

Options

Replies

• AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I did it for 8 months. Lost quite easily on it, never felt hungry. But for me, my mental health tanked and I just could not get the electrolytes properly balanced so I was dizzy and exhausted. I did lose 40 lbs in 8 months and then lost another 10 lbs doing cico then spent all of 2016 maintaining within 3 lbs. 2017 I am calorie counting and hope to get to goal.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    TasnimEz wrote: »
    After my first 3 months of feeling awful and going back to eating carbs I actually gave it another shot, because I really believed it's the best way to eat. One day in and I was vomiting. Messed me up pretty good. Never had these issues, only while eating low carb.
    Many keep saying that you should just hang in there, it will pass, but for some it doesn't and I believe it can be bad for your health. I don't know, maybe I had some underlying issue and that's why I felt horrible, but I would advice anyone trying low carb to listen to your body. It's normal to feel a bit off the first week or so but if it's more than that, just be careful.

:( No fun.

Did you add electrolytes though? I had to start adding 1 tsp of salt to water everyday, plus drinking broth and salting my foods, and adding Mg and K supplements, in order to get my electrolytes in balance. I couldn't believe I needed that much salt. I finally added salt after a couple of weeks of fatigue and headaches, when my muscles were starting to cramp up in the middle of the day. A couple of days of supplements and I was right as rain.

If you are supplementing, then I whole heartedly agree that keto does not suit you. I am impressed you tried it as long as you did.
  • cdelsman
    cdelsman Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been eating keto/paleo for about 2 years now (with occasional cheat days or weeks when on vacation). I exercise quite a bit (2 hours per day 4-5 days a week) because I like it and tracked most of my calories throughout. I usually eat between 1800-2200 calories per day. I have gone from 272 to 167lbs with little to no problems. I love this way of eating because my hunger is practically non existent and I rarely have cravings. I have lost and regained (50lbs each time) weight multiple times on CICO diets. I finally feel like I've found a long term lifestyle that I and my family enjoy. My mom and dad's girlfriend liked my results so much that they also tried it and both have lost more than 50lbs. The beginning is very difficult and I felt like I was going through withdrawals because I used to drink large amounts of coke. Once you get past the beginning, it's quite easy to stick with. The hardest part is eating out and variety. But there are multiple websites with low carb/keto recipes to give you ideas.
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    I followed a keto diet for a bit over a year. I loved it, as did my husband (who ate the keto meals I made, but supplemented them with carbs). I got to challenge myself with recipes - I'd find any recipe that sounded good, then worked to alter it in a way that fit my diet. I didn't have much issue with keto-flu, luckily, so I don't have much bad to say about it.

All of this is in past-tense. I'm 6 months pregnant at the moment and there's no force in the world that will keep me from my chocolate milk. However, once I'm able, I fully intend to get back to my keto diet.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I did it for 8 months. Lost quite easily on it, never felt hungry. But for me, my mental health tanked and I just could not get the electrolytes properly balanced so I was dizzy and exhausted. I did lose 40 lbs in 8 months and then lost another 10 lbs doing cico then spent all of 2016 maintaining within 3 lbs. 2017 I am calorie counting and hope to get to goal.

I am glad you figured it out @AngInCanada It screwed me mentally, too. Hard.
  • barni71
    barni71 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've done keto a few times in the past with a lot of success. I was calorie counting before Christmas as I do like my carbs but as I ate far too many of them over Christmas/New Year I am doing keto again this week as I feel I eat more healthily on this type of diet as I'm not going for convenience food which is what I normally do on a cico diet. I've never calorie counted on a keto diet in the past but I am this week.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    I only did keto when I prepped for a body building contest. And hated it the whole time. But I did it because it worked to get down to single digit body fat numbers. After a contest, I consumed large amount of carbs and usually gained back 10lbs to 15lbs within a couple of days.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• sweeneywi
    sweeneywi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I liked the feeling of being in Keto. Mentally, I was very sharp and creative. I found it easy to be calm, meditate, and focus. While I don't have any data, I think my insulin resistance got a lot better. I noticed feeling full more clearly and I didn't have delayed muscle soreness from working out. I could go without eating and not really feel hungry. It also seemed to help my IBS tremendously, probably because I wasn't eating fermentable carbs. My heart rate variability also seemed to be really great.

I could maintain output in my workouts for longer. I could lift weights for two hours without getting tired. However, my maximum outputs were noticeably lower. I found it difficult to full-on sprint during sports.

I found it hard to get into - it took me about the full two weeks. If I ate a little too much protein or carbs, I would be out for a couple days at least. And every time I jumped out, getting back in was a physically rough process. I felt really low energy and crabby. The keto flu was *kitten*. Also, I wasn't sleeping well without glucose.

I also gained 20lbs! Keto did not help me loose weight. While I did feel a more salient full feeling, I was eating a crap ton of fat on a daily basis. Somewhere in the 3000-4000 calorie range, which is about twice what I should have. Bulletproof exec claims he ate a *kitten* ton and still lost weight. I don't believe that is possible for everyone.

While it was easy to calm down, I found that it was also easier for me to get anxious. I started having panic attacks. After going on medication, I decided it was time to go back to carbs. Additionally, my doctor told me keto could potentially give me kidney damage. I don't know how likely that is, but that was enough to scare me off.

I returned back to the land of carbs (mostly paleo). My workouts were stellar, I could really go balls to the walls. I felt more relaxed and slept better. I lost 15ish pounds pretty quickly. The trade off is that I don't feel the mental clarity I used. I can really shove down a lot of carbs without feeling full. I have to watch what I eat still.

I get similar mental clarity from intermittent fasting, which I start with bulletproof coffee. I still have high fat days now and then too just because it's easier when eating out.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    sweeneywi wrote: »
    I liked the feeling of being in Keto. Mentally, I was very sharp and creative. I found it easy to be calm, meditate, and focus. While I don't have any data, I think my insulin resistance got a lot better. I noticed feeling full more clearly and I didn't have delayed muscle soreness from working out. I could go without eating and not really feel hungry. It also seemed to help my IBS tremendously, probably because I wasn't eating fermentable carbs. My heart rate variability also seemed to be really great.

I could maintain output in my workouts for longer. I could lift weights for two hours without getting tired. However, my maximum outputs were noticeably lower. I found it difficult to full-on sprint during sports.

I found it hard to get into - it took me about the full two weeks. If I ate a little too much protein or carbs, I would be out for a couple days at least. And every time I jumped out, getting back in was a physically rough process. I felt really low energy and crabby. The keto flu was *kitten*. Also, I wasn't sleeping well without glucose.

I also gained 20lbs! Keto did not help me loose weight. While I did feel a more salient full feeling, I was eating a crap ton of fat on a daily basis. Somewhere in the 3000-4000 calorie range, which is about twice what I should have. Bulletproof exec claims he ate a *kitten* ton and still lost weight. I don't believe that is possible for everyone.

While it was easy to calm down, I found that it was also easier for me to get anxious. I started having panic attacks. After going on medication, I decided it was time to go back to carbs. Additionally, my doctor told me keto could potentially give me kidney damage. I don't know how likely that is, but that was enough to scare me off.

I returned back to the land of carbs (mostly paleo). My workouts were stellar, I could really go balls to the walls. I felt more relaxed and slept better. I lost 15ish pounds pretty quickly. The trade off is that I don't feel the mental clarity I used. I can really shove down a lot of carbs without feeling full. I have to watch what I eat still.

I get similar mental clarity from intermittent fasting, which I start with bulletproof coffee. I still have high fat days now and then too just because it's easier when eating out.

if you didnt lose weight you werent in a caloric deficit. even doing keto you HAVE to be in a deficit to lose weight. its not a magical way to lose weight,its also not "eat all you want and lose" type of diet either,it doesnt work that way. if you were eating 3-4000 calories you were eating in a surplus if you were gaining weight.
  • kidodo
    kidodo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    lost 4 lbs in 2 week , considering I am only a 115lbs person, that is FAST!

Bounced back in 2 days, I promise I was just eating normal during that 2 days (1700calories/day)

Will NEVER do it again.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have tried several diets in the past without much success. A friend recently suggested keto and I've done quite a bit of research online (mostly youtube) and to be honest it sounds a bit too good to be true. I would really appreciate it if anyone who has, or is currently eating this way would share their experiences. :smile:

Never research on Youtube, unless it's a known researcher. People often misrepresent science and make magical claims for clickbait and advertising. I suspect they talked about huge losses and such a short period of time, potentially increase fat oxidation and other things. These are half truths. Yes, you can lose a lot in a short period of time, especially if you are obese and aren't already dieting. As noted above, it's due to glycogen depletion. People who haven't dieted before also tend to cut calories a lot, which reduces food waste as well. Keto does increase fat oxidation but it also decreases carb oxidation. If went high carb vegan, the opposite would be true. Unfortunately, many people misconstrue that type of information to suggest that keto burns more fat (most people think it means more body fat). But what happens is the body stores more fat, and less carbs, so it's required to use more dietary fat as energy.

Now, having said all that, like some others mention, dietary compliance and adherence is key. All diets can be healthy or unhealthy. If you love carbs, or you tend to get satiated by carbs, this diet will not be for you. If you tend to get full from fats, this diet (or a low carb diet) might be worth your time. Personally, I just started calorie/carb cycling and the first low carb day was rough (i tend to get satiated by carbs). But I plan on changing a few variables to see if I can improve that.

At the very least, if you want, start to lower carbs (instead of going full keto) to see how your body responds. If you notice a decrease in hunger and increases in energy, lchf or keto might be for you. If you can't stay within your calorie budget, always feel hungry or tired, a moderate diet or higher protein diet might be beneficial. In the end, you just need to play with the variables and modify based on actual feedback.
  • msolano713
    msolano713 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am so confused because some say LCHF and no holds barred, go to town on butter and bacon, etc. While others say, No you do need to watch your calories, and fat intake if you want to burn fat. I want to burn fat. I have done Dukan Diet in the past, and Dr. Dukan has you limit salt intake, and no fat. Protein and veggies. Keto suggests increase in salt intake, and fat fat fat. I have set my macros to 5% carbs, 25%protein, 70% fat. 1300 calories. What do you suggest? Please and thanks!!!!!!! B)
  • psuLemon
    edited January 2017
    Options
    msolano713 wrote: »
    I am so confused because some say LCHF and no holds barred, go to town on butter and bacon, etc. While others say, No you do need to watch your calories, and fat intake if you want to burn fat. I want to burn fat. I have done Dukan Diet in the past, and Dr. Dukan has you limit salt intake, and no fat. Protein and veggies. Keto suggests increase in salt intake, and fat fat fat. I have set my macros to 5% carbs, 25%protein, 70% fat. 1300 calories. What do you suggest? Please and thanks!!!!!!! B)

People say no holds barred because they are often satiated by fat. They unconsciously restrict calories, while others do not have that ability or not satiated by fat. I can destroy some fat calories without touching my hunger.

That may be low in protein but what are your goals outside of weight loss. And what is your training program?
  • getoffin1year
    getoffin1year Posts: 87 Member
    Options

I find on this app 10/30/60 works for me with good success. the thing about keto is everyone has a different ketosis level. Some is as high as 100 g carbs per day and can stay in ketosis. There's ways to figure out your level by detoxing, 20 or less g per day for 3-5 days and then gradually adding 5g a day and using ketone sticks to check at what point you come out of ketosis.

The science I've taken from ketosis is your body uses sugar for energy and when that's not available it will use fat. The less sugar the more fat your body uses.

• silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I am so confused because some say LCHF and no holds barred, go to town on butter and bacon, etc. While others say, No you do need to watch your calories, and fat intake if you want to burn fat.

The "no holds barred" idea comes from the Atkins diet, I believe. The idea (and I have experienced it to be true for me) is that you eat as much as you want in the beginning, then after a few weeks you naturally taper off the amount you eat.

But yes, in the long run, the total calories are important. You can't eat thousands of calories every day (without a huge volume of exercise) and still lose weight.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    barni71 wrote: »
    I've done keto a few times in the past with a lot of success. I was calorie counting before Christmas as I do like my carbs but as I ate far too many of them over Christmas/New Year I am doing keto again this week as I feel I eat more healthily on this type of diet as I'm not going for convenience food which is what I normally do on a cico diet. I've never calorie counted on a keto diet in the past but I am this week.

Fyi, cico isn't a diet. It's the scientific principle on which *all* diets are based. If you lost weight eating a keto diet, you lost the weight because of cico. :)
  • psuLemon
    Options

I find on this app 10/30/60 works for me with good success. the thing about keto is everyone has a different ketosis level. Some is as high as 100 g carbs per day and can stay in ketosis. There's ways to figure out your level by detoxing, 20 or less g per day for 3-5 days and then gradually adding 5g a day and using ketone sticks to check at what point you come out of ketosis.

The science I've taken from ketosis is your body uses sugar for energy and when that's not available it will use fat. The less sugar the more fat your body uses.

The human body runs on glucose (a monosaccharide - or simple sugar) regardless if they eat a lot of sugar or not. Our bodies can create glucose through the process of glucenogenesis. Our brains though, can run on ketones (driven from fatty acids).

And you are correct, when you eat less sugar, one burns less sugar, but they also eat more fat which means they store more fat. All you are doing is changing the substrate utilization %. Some people burn more fat, some burn more carbs and some burn equally. Ultimately, it doesn't really matter which one you eat or what % you are, because energy balance requirements dictate weight state.
  • Libellue23
    Libellue23 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I love it.
    20g or less net carbs a day med/high fat (i have more than enough of my own to use so i dont set a goal to meet) med to high protein (100g per day).
    The higher protein than the standard/epileptic keto diet suggest allows me to feel fuller with a higher calorie deficit.
    Once you're fat adapted there is an amazing mental clarity and hunger supression.
    I cannot get enough of LC life!
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    People say no holds barred because they are often satiated by fat. They unconsciously restrict calories, while others do not have that ability or not satiated by fat. I can destroy some fat calories without touching my hunger.

That may be low in protein but what are your goals outside of weight loss. And what is your training program?
    imo, the "hunger suppression" from ketogenic diets is an illusion. What happens, is that diet boredom sets in from having eliminated 75% of the foods you once ate. After a week or two of bunless hamburgers and few carbohydrates , you just get tired of the limited choices and automatically reduce your food intake.

In my experience, 4 or maybe it's 5 years now, ketosis still suppresses/normalizes my appetite. I agree that for people who didn't grow up eating meat and vegetables and don't know how to cook trying to turn their SAD hamburger-hotdog-sandwich-cereal-snackfood diet into a ketogenic one might be a challenge but that's certainly not a universal experience.

Anyone who takes the least little bit of initiative can certainly do better than bunless hamburgers everyday of the week. For example: pictures of 385 keto friendly meals