When you have 814 calories left and less than 2 hours left in your logging day...

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Sweets1954 wrote: »
    I wonder why you have so many calories left at the end of the day?

She explained this.
  • SymbolismNZ
    SymbolismNZ Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    No, there isn't. Your body doesn't recognize time, and it certainly doesn't stop digesting when you go to sleep.

I eat sometimes, up to an hour before sleep. It does not interrupt my sleep, or give me any discomfort. I've lost quite a bit of weight and still lose.

I love how people can be so sure of things when research indicates differently.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4425165/

TL;DR? Those that have a large complex meal within two hours before bed suffer irregular sleeping patterns, have higher appetites and such.

She was talking 800 calories, that's a substantial meal.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I ate all the Babybell cheeses in the house. What's next?

If I wasn't hungry I would pat myself on the back. Kind of a no-brainer I would think.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Treece68 wrote: »
    Happens to me sometimes, I might eat some nuts, but if there's calories left, then they are left, unless I am so far from my macro count, but if I didn't eat them it's cos I didn't want to and that's fine.

Oh..I just saw you "earned" them to indulge... I don't agree with that, I mean, a bit sure, but 800? For me it's a waste to work so hard just to get it back in, but hey, if you must, I am sure there's plenty of things very high in calories.

I believe she said she "earned" them by shoveling snow which is a chore and a workout

I stand my ground, I just don't understand why would people do that ( eat said extra/earned whatever calories) , sorry, not trying to be an as$hat :/

There are two ways (more, but two major ones used here) to set up a calorie deficit. (1) average the exercise you plan to do over the week and eat based on the assumption that you will do that exercise (this is what I do); or (2) set a calorie goal assuming you don't exercise and then add in calories from exercise (this is the default MFP way).

In either case you eat more calories when you exercise more. That's because having an overly aggressive deficit is not a good idea and if you regularly eat like you are inactive when you are really active you will likely regret it.

So let's assume I use strategy 2, which is what OP seems to do, and have a base goal of 1400 calories based on losing 1 lb per week if I am not exercising. I run 10 miles, and burn between 800 and 900 calories doing that. You seem to be saying that I should totally ignore that and continue eating as if I were sedentary.
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'd have a big bar of chocolate and end up with dry roasted nuts.
  • KatzeDerNacht22
    KatzeDerNacht22 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Treece68 wrote: »
    Happens to me sometimes, I might eat some nuts, but if there's calories left, then they are left, unless I am so far from my macro count, but if I didn't eat them it's cos I didn't want to and that's fine.

Oh..I just saw you "earned" them to indulge... I don't agree with that, I mean, a bit sure, but 800? For me it's a waste to work so hard just to get it back in, but hey, if you must, I am sure there's plenty of things very high in calories.

I believe she said she "earned" them by shoveling snow which is a chore and a workout

I stand my ground, I just don't understand why would people do that ( eat said extra/earned whatever calories) , sorry, not trying to be an as$hat :/

There are two ways (more, but two major ones used here) to set up a calorie deficit. (1) average the exercise you plan to do over the week and eat based on the assumption that you will do that exercise (this is what I do); or (2) set a calorie goal assuming you don't exercise and then add in calories from exercise (this is the default MFP way).

In either case you eat more calories when you exercise more. That's because having an overly aggressive deficit is not a good idea and if you regularly eat like you are inactive when you are really active you will likely regret it.

So let's assume I use strategy 2, which is what OP seems to do, and have a base goal of 1400 calories based on losing 1 lb per week if I am not exercising. I run 10 miles, and burn between 800 and 900 calories doing that. You seem to be saying that I should totally ignore that and continue eating as if I were sedentary.

I reply to you cos it's the only comment I read, I realize my mistake of saying my thoughts on this forums, it shall not happen again, k? sorry for the bothe, jesus .
  • Bluwaves1
    Bluwaves1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    buffalo wings would be great!
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    hmm..
    A wheel of camembert or brie (the size at Aldi are ~800 calories).
    A pint of ice cream (not sure how many calories).
    A bottle of wine

Mmm, I'd do half a wheel of brie and half a bottle of wine (I do have to share with DH). Either the day I earned them or I save them for the weekend. Yep, I eat my exercise calories and reward myself with indulgent foods. That's how this works (assuming following MFP method).
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    No, there isn't. Your body doesn't recognize time, and it certainly doesn't stop digesting when you go to sleep.

I eat sometimes, up to an hour before sleep. It does not interrupt my sleep, or give me any discomfort. I've lost quite a bit of weight and still lose.

TL;DR? Those that have a large complex meal within two hours before bed suffer irregular sleeping patterns, have higher appetites and such.

Did you read the link you cited?

First of all, this: "Similarly, studies in free-living healthy adults have shown that meal satiety also varies with time of day and that food intake during the night is less satiating and leads to greater daily caloric intake compared to food consumed in the morning hours [6,7]." -- if you check the cites -- is referring to one study, and there are a variety of different studies with different results, as others have noted. Even this study would not say not to eat late on one occasion, and says that it seems to be less satiating to have more calories later in the day ON AVERAGE. That doesn't mean it is for all humans, and what we do know is that satiety seems to be individual. Many people here eat the majority of their calories at night because that is easier for them. I eat dinner late (although not the majority of my calories at night, which is what this study is talking about), because (1) my lifestyle requires it, as I would not be able to have dinner otherwise, and (2) I do not struggle with hunger doing so. Indeed, I think eating late makes it easier for me as I am not tempted to snack after dinner ever.

The piece you cited goes on to say:

* "While data from animal studies appear to support this concept [8,9], not all studies concur [10]."
    * Shift workers may have messed up body clocks and otherwise have problems. (Not relevant here.)
    * Night Eating Syndrome (REGULARLY eating a LARGE PERCENTAGE of calories AFTER DINNER, not relevant here) is associated with obesity IN SOME STUDIES (i.e., not in others). Moreover, even as to those finding connections, "It is unclear, however, as to whether obesity is a consequence or cause of NES."

Further:

"These data from shift workers and NES populations provide some evidence to suggest that consuming the majority of daily nutrients late in the evening may have health consequences. However, this concept cannot be fully understood without considering, the influence of sleep, or lack thereof.....

Indeed, some epidemiological data suggests that consuming a higher proportion of calories later in the day, as opposed to earlier in the day, is associated weight gain [13,14,15,16,17]. However, not all studies agree [12,36,38,43]. It is important to note that several inconsistencies exist in the research examining the effect of late evening caloric intake and body weight.....

Despite these inconsistencies it is evident that consuming large quantities of food (binge eating) in the late evening may have adverse health implications."

And again, I think being aware of how something affects you, vs. what some studies (but not others) say it may do on average is a much more sensible approach if someone wants to find a sustainable approach for them.

Not to mention that bringing this up when OP was talking about a one time thing is confusing.

I was just coming in to reply to that link, and my opening line was word-for-word what you said! :laugh:

Seriously. Thanks! I find it humorous when people post links to prove others wrong but don't even read them.
  • Reaverie
    Reaverie Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Bluwaves1 wrote: »
    buffalo wings would be great!

OMG THIS! Except.. I dont have any. :( ..
  • SymbolismNZ
    SymbolismNZ Posts: 190 Member
    Options

Did you read the link you cited?

First of all, this: "Similarly, studies in free-living healthy adults have shown that meal satiety also varies with time of day and that food intake during the night is less satiating and leads to greater daily caloric intake compared to food consumed in the morning hours [6,7]." -- if you check the cites -- is referring to one study, and there are a variety of different studies with different results, as others have noted. Even this study would not say not to eat late on one occasion, and says that it seems to be less satiating to have more calories later in the day ON AVERAGE. That doesn't mean it is for all humans, and what we do know is that satiety seems to be individual. Many people here eat the majority of their calories at night because that is easier for them. I eat dinner late (although not the majority of my calories at night, which is what this study is talking about), because (1) my lifestyle requires it, as I would not be able to have dinner otherwise, and (2) I do not struggle with hunger doing so. Indeed, I think eating late makes it easier for me as I am not tempted to snack after dinner ever.

The piece you cited goes on to say:

* "While data from animal studies appear to support this concept [8,9], not all studies concur [10]."
    * Shift workers may have messed up body clocks and otherwise have problems. (Not relevant here.)
    * Night Eating Syndrome (REGULARLY eating a LARGE PERCENTAGE of calories AFTER DINNER, not relevant here) is associated with obesity IN SOME STUDIES (i.e., not in others). Moreover, even as to those finding connections, "It is unclear, however, as to whether obesity is a consequence or cause of NES."

Further:

"These data from shift workers and NES populations provide some evidence to suggest that consuming the majority of daily nutrients late in the evening may have health consequences. However, this concept cannot be fully understood without considering, the influence of sleep, or lack thereof.....

Indeed, some epidemiological data suggests that consuming a higher proportion of calories later in the day, as opposed to earlier in the day, is associated weight gain [13,14,15,16,17]. However, not all studies agree [12,36,38,43]. It is important to note that several inconsistencies exist in the research examining the effect of late evening caloric intake and body weight.....

Despite these inconsistencies it is evident that consuming large quantities of food (binge eating) in the late evening may have adverse health implications."

And again, I think being aware of how something affects you, vs. what some studies (but not others) say it may do on average is a much more sensible approach if someone wants to find a sustainable approach for them.

Not to mention that bringing this up when OP was talking about a one time thing is confusing.

I was just coming in to reply to that link, and my opening line was word-for-word what you said! :laugh:

Seriously. Thanks! I find it humorous when people post links to prove others wrong but don't even read them.

What I find humorous is when people read things only to see what agrees with them, the old confirmation bias which both of you seem to have done here.

I work in the medical field, so I'm used to reading research papers that point to other experiments that contradict their answer, each person and the things they do is different, therefore expecting the exact same response in every circumstance would be counter productive to the health industry, because you would never normalise treatment plans for common conditions. The whole idea of research such as this is to find out the common impacts and identify what the trends of the empirical evidence suggest.

The trends as this paper indicates (and many other papers indicate) is that night time eating puts you at higher risk of sleeping disorders, appetite disorders and such.

Other papers that conclude with the same findings -

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3499064/ - testing the impact of calories on mice during the night, versus during the day.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27633109 - looking at the impact of food in general on sleeping patterns, including the time at which ingestion of food can impact sleep quality.

Pretty much all of the research around intermittent fasting is based off of similar principles, the impact of calorie intake on sleep and the activation of genes within your system that assist your normal functions.

Will this be the same for every single individual? No; nothing is exactly the same for every single person; but unless you like putting yourself in higher risk brackets, any nutritionist or doctor worth their salt would warn against eating directly before bed.
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    how many cals do you eat a day is my question? if you eat only 1500 and are 800 short its way different than if you eat 3500 cals a day and are 800 short
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    if you really need to get cals avocados are on the high side and good for you and pecans
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    OP, what you had sounds delicious. I was in your exact situation the other day. I had a MASSIVE amount of popcorn. With butter.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Then MFP cut me off. Possibly related to the adult protein shake which I just half spilled on my couch. I have zero tolerance for alcohol.

I'm curious what your recipe for this is. I've never thought to "adult" my protein shake.

8 oz milk
    25 g Mexican chocolate (Ovaltine works too)
    30 g unflavored protein powder
    .5 oz peppermint schnapps (More if you aren't a lightweight. Sometimes I use Kahlua or Bailey's)