January 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Way to go @MobyCarp , rocking the race like always!

Got a 15km in today but was hoping for HM (the small people weren't in favor of my plan). Not terrible for three weeks post-op though- next Saturday, next Saturday...

Mommy's little saboteur ;)

3boj6vxw4xpc.jpg

January 1- Travel Day
    January 2- 8.1km
    January 3- 8.1km
    January 4- 8.1km
    January 5- Rest Day
    January 6- 10km
    January 7- 15.1km

49.4/160km
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for January
    1/1 REST DAY
    1/2 9 miles - 9
    1/3 10 miles - 19
    1/4 5 miles - 24
    1/5 10 miles - 34
    1/6 3.1 - 37.1 <<< Treadmill
    1/7 15 miles - 52.1

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25 << 1:20:22 1 in AG & 15 OA
    Huntsville Half Marathon - 11/12 << 1:35:55 2 in AG & 25 OA
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10 << 2:44:41
    Elkmont Hound Half - 1/21
    Kentucky Derby Marathon - 4/29

• HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    January goal: Get up. Move.

1/1: rest
    1/2 3.55
    1/3 4.21
    1/4 5.69
    1/5 rest
    1/6 2.71 + core/strength training
    1/7 4.17

Total: 20.33

Ticker is my goal for 2017 and total to date:

exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    @OSUbuckeye906 I'm sorry about the potential stress fracture. Glad to hear about the gait analysis.

@MNLittleFinn Be careful with that achiles

@kristinegift Love the snow pictures.

@skippygirlsmom Nice sweat top. Go Big Blue!
    I was over at research park and the greenway after the sun went down. Cold.

@Orphia looks like fun with the water guns.

Way to go @MobyCarp
  • 07KatieP13
    07KatieP13 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Date,,,,,,,,,,Miles,,,,,,,,,,Total
    1/1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,2.0,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,2.0
    2/1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,2.3,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,4.3
    3/1,,,,,,,,,,,,,Rest,,,,,,,,,,,,,,4.3
    4/1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,2.3,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,6.6
    5/1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,2.6,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,9.2
    6/1,,,,,,,,,,,,,Rest,,,,,,,,,,,,,,9.2
    7/1,,,,,,,,,,,,,Rest,,,,,,,,,,,,,,9.2
    8/1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,2.6,,,,,,,,,,,,,,11.8

exercise.png[\img]
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    @Orphia - you ran an amazing race! Well done! Does that mean Strava won't record it as a 10km PB if it came in at 9.9?
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @Orphia- Congrats!!!

Question for the group- What's the longest you will run in sub zero wind chills? I was hoping to do 16 today, which will take me about 2.5 hours, but I don't want to be stupid. A lady I was running with yesterday was telling me that she got severe frost bite on her legs doing a 20 miler, even through her thermal leggings. Apparently the legs are very susceptable to frost bite due to the amount of muscle there. Still 15 weeks out from my race, so I don't think it would be a big deal if I went shorter. What are your experiences with long runs in the cold? I have done 20 miles with temps in the teens, but this is much colder.
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Congrats @Orphia - Well done on amazing PB!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Morning check in- 2ay 2 of not running. Calf/achilles feels OK today, better than yesterday, but it's still early. I did eccentric calf raises as I went up the stairs to get little guy this morning. Those felt OK, I can definitely feel that my left side is more stiff than the right, but there is no pain. I took some Naporxen before bed last night though, so I;m waiting for that to wear off before truly evaluating how I'm doing.

Oh, @MobyCarp I googled cone touches last night and tried them out, kicked my rear that's for sure.

Will check in again this evening with how the day went.
  • tltmom
    tltmom Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    1/1-1/6. 8.5 miles, 2 weight workouts
    1/7 hill workout 3 miles
    1/8 easy 3 miles. 11.5 total
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    That's a great time @Orphia, it's not uncommon for courses to fall a bit short if you stuck very close to the inside of any bends etc, so don't let that annoy you. There being no medal is disappointing though, I've had the same thing on race day before and been really annoyed, even though they did at least send them in the post 2 months later!

Got my long run in today, and I'm so happy with how easy they feel now. Week 5 of marathon training complete, and now for a cut-back week, which is much needed. What scares me most though is that, looking forward on my plan, the long runs on future cut-back weeks are the same distance as I ran today :grimace: I guess I don't have to run all my 12 mile runs like I have the last two, as last week was fast with a 5km PB race in the middle and this week was unrelenting in undulation. I need to work out a flat route from now on to take it easier than I did today.

January Running Challenge

1st - 12.66 miles inc 5km PB 25:05
    3rd - 3.11 miles
    4th - 6.17 miles
    6th - 3.03 miles
    7th - 3.11 miles
    8th - 12.04 miles

MTD - 40.12/100 miles

Upcoming races:
    12th March 2017 - North London Half Marathon
    9th April 2017 - Brighton Marathon
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @Orphia amazing!

@lporter229 I've run 10-12 miles in sub zero air temps with windchill in the -20s,I could have gone a couple more miles each time, but that would have been pushing it. It really depends on the sond direction. you can go longer when you aren't heading into the wind the whole time. S

So, I guess the moral of the story is, it depends on the wind and layering. if you're properly clothed, you can do the 16, but you will get cold. Up to 12 miles shouldn't be too bad though.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @orphia fantastic run! Congrats.
    @lporter229 that is a really good question on long runs in the freezing cold. I'll be following to see what people say.
    @adrianchr92 bbbrr 48 hours without electric in the winter would freeze me out since everything is electric at my house.
    @louubelle16 great long run
    @stoshew71 I know great sweatshirt right? :smile: We thought about heading over to the greenway but I love the shade in a summer but not in the winter.

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    @lporter229 that's an interesting problem. We don't have Sub zero temps very often or for very long. Im sure there are some sub zero weather runners that will chime in.

I have no experience. But I came across information a few years ago, because when I started running in 30°F, mentally it was sub zero, now 30 is perfect running weather. Anyhow, I came across one person that bought ski gear to run in. I'm not sure if that's the same as the thermal leggings your friend used, or if there were layers involved. What about the under garments for skiing? Chili Willie's or hot somethings?

Sorry for the rambling... wish I had a real answer. I am anxious to hear others experiences.

Here's RW's take in -10 (not sure if that's c/f) https://www.google.com/amp/www.runnersworld.com/ask-the-sports-doc/tips-for-running-in-sub-zero-weather?amp

ETA when I was a kid there was this urban legend of a kid on a bike whose ear froze off because he didn't have a hat on. Texas. No kid ever had a winter hat..
  • lissadecker
    lissadecker Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    @lissadecker -What kind of dog is Fergus? I love the name, BTW. We want pictures. If you have a furry running buddy, pictures are mandatory!

Fergus is a greyhound - pitbull (Staffordshire terrier) mix. He's about 55 pounds of mischief rolled up in a cuddly, lovable ball of fur. He'll be 4 years old in March and absolutely loves our daily run.

w5cpj6cj438z.jpg

My other dog, George, is a boxer. She is going to be 11 in July and has some arthritis. No running for George cause she can't handle the distances but we do go for a daily 2-2.5 mile walk.

4uthblmrt2gf.jpg
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    day 2 no running Mid day check in: No Pain so far today! I'm a little stiff today, but there has been no pain, and I haven't taken any NSAIDs or any other pain medication. I iced my calf/achilles for 2 minutes and have been doing dynamic stretching periodically throughout the day. So far, I am very happy.

I'm still planning on taking off at least tomorrow, and 90% chance I'll take off Tuesday. That should give me time to hear back from my Dr about getting a referral to PT. In the mean time, I'm looking for XT I can do that won't put too much strain on my achilles.

Looking ahead, I'm planning to cut back to 5 days running with 1 full rest day and 1 XT day each week. This will get me in the same schedule that my training plan has.

I'm also going over the warm up and "prehab" routines that will be part of my marathon training, and plan to institute them this month, before I start training, so I know how to do them, and because, well....my usual warm up of just putting on my shoes and running just doesn't seem right for me anymore.
  • lissadecker
    lissadecker Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    January goal: 100 miles
    1/1: 3.6 miles (m)
    1/2: Downpour Day
    1/3: 4.5 miles (m)
    1/4: 4 miles (m)
    1/5: 5 miles (m)
    1/6: 4.5 miles (m)
    1/7: 4 miles (m)

My Total/January: 25.6 miles
    Mike's Total: 25.7 miles

Haven't run today yet. I am taking advantage of the very cold weather to get in some afternoon runs. I usually don't like to run in the afternoon when it is warmer outside - which is most of the time here in Houston. So, it was a nice change of pace to get out midday yesterday in the sun and run. Planning to do the same today for 4 or 5 miles or so with Mike and Fergus.

@BeeerRunner Thanks for the Yoga video! I got one from Amazon today and am looking forward to trying it out!

@OSUbuckeye906 Bummer! I hope you are able to recover quickly and move on to your gait analysis. :)

@MNLittleFinn I'm following your training thread! Thanks for sharing!

@bmelb1 Sorry about your 10K clinic. Your experience pretty much sums up why I tend to steer away from the running groups. I worry that I will be holding others back with my pokey self. I hope the 5K clinic works out for you!

@mobycarp WooHoo for your HM!

@Orphia Well done on your race!

Have a fabulous rest of the day!

Completed Races:
    12/3 Snowball Run 5K, Kingwood TX (35:34.2) *PR

Upcoming Races:
    1/22 Choco Loco 10K, Houston, TX

exercise.png