55-65 year old women's success?

Options

Replies

• mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    @1Nana2many , I don't know what I can add to what everyone else has said. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. @Eleted, I will be joining you in retirement in just a few days! Not sure how to fill my days, but I am sure I will come up with something. I love to exercise and our old house could use some tlc.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    mk2fit wrote: »
    @1Nana2many , I don't know what I can add to what everyone else has said. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. @Eleted, I will be joining you in retirement in just a few days! Not sure how to fill my days, but I am sure I will come up with something. I love to exercise and our old house could use some tlc.

To the bolded: In my experience, and that of some of my friends, there is an adjustment period. Don't panic; be patient with yourself. Let the idea settle in, then try some new things, and eventually some of them will stick.

(I retired from a somewhat high-stress job that had me changing topics/issues frequently. It took me a while after retirement to stop twitching (so to speak). It was as if my body/psyche expected that fast pace, and it took a while before I could stick to doing just one thing for an extended period . . . I'd find myself switching tasks just because it felt right. Eventually, I calmed down and was able to enjoy relaxing into focus on an activity for more than 15 minutes at a time!

Also, at first, I watched way too much daytime TV (learning more than I ever knew before about American subcultures other than my own!) and did other stupid stuff. That also evaporated in favor of more productive uses of time.

You won't be nearly as silly as I was - most of my friends weren't - but many had some kind of adjustment period of a less whacko nature. Just be patient. It will pass, and you'll find a happy spot to land!)
  • 1Nana2many
    1Nana2many Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    mk2fit wrote: »

@mk2fit You will do fine. I will admit,I had a list of projects I had intended to do upon retirement, but haven't actually gotten to many of them. I've stayed pretty busy though and after that initial what do I do with myself period I really love being retired. Since my husband is still working, I make it a point to stay on an early rising routine because I was always used to that. Like AnnPT77, I watched a lot of TV at first, but there are days when the house is silent and I love it that way. Part of this stems from the fact that my husband has to have background noise so either the TV or radio will be on within five minutes of his arrival home...
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Congrats to all the new retirees and soon to be retirees. I have been retired for just over two years. I am still working on my goals I set before I retired. Still losing and keeping weight off, exercising more, doing deep cleaning of the house. Traveling when it isn't peak season. That type of stuff. I have also gotten to know my neighbors more which is really nice. I watch more movies but not tv programming thank goodness for Netflix :). I also have the time and mental focus that AnnPT77 mentioned. I had a high stress job that kept me multitasking all the time on 12 hr. shifts, so just focusing on what I want to do is still a new habit for me. I haven't found a volunteer positiion because my days are pretty filled up already but one of the things I do is check in on a homebound neighbor regularly to make sure she is ok, she is very elderly.

Just enjoy your retirement, you have earned it.
  • mk2fit
    Options
    I hope everyone had, or is still having, a great holiday. @1Nana2many, my prayers are with you and yours. Our snow melted today, my heel is healed and I am looking forward to running tomorrow! Woo hoo, it has been a while. My husband and I are officially retired as of 12/22. Am working hard to keep him out of his jammies :s
    Told him four times to the woods and back each day is three miles and get on it! (I will share my running path)
  • Eleted
    Eleted Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Mk2fit. Congratulations on your retirement!!! I , am four months in but have yet to establish a routine. I am determined following the holidays to finally set up a healthy schedule. Happy New Year to all!!!
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    All, Happy New Year!!

Mk2, Congrats on your retirement!! I have a basic routine that I follow; no part time job yet, but may be one eventually. B)
  • 1Nana2many
    1Nana2many Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Mk2fit and hubby and Eleted in case I missed it: Congratulations on your retirement! It will take you a little bit to get a new routine going, but you are so determined that I know you will do it! You'll probably find yourselves so busy that like many, you will wonder how you ever managed to squeeze in a full time job!

MK: thank you for your kind thoughts and prayers. For those of you wondering, my brother passed away on the morning of the 24th. I had brought him to live with my husband and myself on the 15th. He had terminal colon cancer. My personal belief is that things happen as they are supposed to and we were given those nine days to be able to talk about important things and we both knew there was love between us. I was with him all night and he knew he was loved by his family. He got to spend some time with his two sons and he met his three grandsons for the first time. At the end, it was a peaceful death for a man who did not always have a peaceful life. He is the first of my six siblings to pass. I am grateful for the time we had together.

I have two of those little metal signs in my home that mean a lot to me. The one in my bedroom says, "Faith makes things possible...not easy" and there's one in my kitchen that says, "Forgive everyone everything" some who visit my home may think I'm trying to tell them something, but really that last sign is there to remind ME to let things go, to move forward one step at a time and even to forgive myself when I don't like myself very much. Life is too short to waste it on yesterday's mistakes.

January 1st brings me to my one full year here on MFP. I am so grateful for the support I have received from this group and from the friends who send me those little notes and smiley faces that keep me going. At my last weigh-in, I was one pound away from the goal I originally set for my weight. I will never be model-thin nor has it ever been my wish to be so, but I do feel healthier then I was this same day last year. I know my blood pressure is much lower and my attitude is much more joyful! I know for me to maintain this weight I will continue to log every day here on MFP. My stats after one year: Beginning weight: 244.7 current weight: 166 pounds. I am 5'4" on a good day
  • Eleted
    Options
    1Nana2many: my condolences on the loss of your brother. I lost mine 2 yrs ago January. I believe, as you do, that things happen as they are suppose to but it doesnt make it any easier. My brother struggled a lot as well ! Congratulations on your weight loss. That is fantastic work! Heres wishing you a healthy and happy 2017!
  • Trina2040
    Trina2040 Posts: 214 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    To everyone checking in on this thread, have a joyous and healthy New Year celebration and make 2017 the year to meet your goals! @1Nana2many, @mk2fit, & @retirehappy thanks for being the best MFP pals ever! Hooray to all of us Silver Sisters!
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Nana, sorry to hear about the loss of your brother. You're right, things do happen for a reason, and I agree w/Trina that knowing that still doesn't make it any easier. Congrats on your weight loss; I know it wasn't easy. B)
  • mk2fit
    Options
    Happy New Year, all! Shucks, @Trina2040, love you, too!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Trina, I love the Silver Sisters. MFP has some truly awesome folks, so glad to be a part of all the mutual support and caring that goes on around here.

Happiest of New Years to us all.
  • SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    @1Nana2many my condolences to you on the loss of your brother. You did a wonderful thing to bring him to your home and make him comfortable, and to grasp those last family moments together. Peace to you and your family, and many happy memories.
  • DancesWithDogz
    DancesWithDogz Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Eleted wrote: »
    What is everyones current favorite form of exercise? I am still walking and slowly adding strength training.

Urban Poling (nordic walking) - I teach it.. but have not since the spring. I miss it, and plan on implementing it again very soon in my daily habits.
  • Eleted
    Options
    Dances with Dogz: Tell us about Urban Poling and why you like it?
  • mk2fit
    Options
    Urban Poling (nordic walking) - I teach it.. but have not since the spring. I miss it, and plan on implementing it again very soon in my daily habits.[/quote]

Is this anything like snowshoeing?

@Eleted My favorite exercise is running which is rather difficult to accomplish this time of year. Alternates are snowshoeing, walking and indoor stuff like youtube videos.

• Eleted
    Options
    I googled Urban Poling. I think it would be beneficial to improve posture and maybe work a few different muscles than just plain walking. I'm intrigued!!
  • mk2fit
    Options
    Aha! I get it. (the urban poling)
  • sdpatterson1234
    sdpatterson1234 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I started mfp in 2014 and lost 30 pounds and then in June of last year I lost my job and gained 10 pounds back I'm 59 5'3 and 166 my problem is sugar anyone have any suggestions My Matainance calories are 1600
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!