January 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• bmelb1
    bmelb1 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn I hope you have a speedy recovery to start your marathon training fresh.
    @Orphia congratulations on your run.

Sorry for the following rant but I really need to get this out of my system:
    After dropping down to the 5K running clinic Friday night, I joined the new group for the training run this morning and it went about as well as the 10K clinic Friday night. Everyone had taken the clinic before, two people joined our running group that were in the more advanced clinics, one of them was planning on running 17K today but decided to start out running with our group and continue on his own after. After 2 minutes of dynamic stretching,which was more than we did Friday night, everyone starting running at a fast pace, no warm up run, same as Friday night. Our group leader ran up front with the fastest 2 people and I was quickly left behind, after 1/4 km I felt like someone just sucked all the energy out of me as I watched everyone pull out way ahead of me. I couldn't run I just felt so deflated and upset that I turned around and walked back to the store and said I quit I want my money back, and I thought the advertisements for the clinics do not accurately reflect each clinic. The woman there tried to talk me into moving down to the learn to run clinic and then take the 5K clinic next round, similar to what I got talked into Friday night when they suggested I drop down to the 5K clinic and take the 10K next time. I told the woman I already did a learn to run program and I can run 5 km no problem, just not at the pace everyone else was running (on Friday my average pace was 11:37/km). They called me later this morning to try to convince me to reconsider and the woman on the phone admitted that the 5K clinic is an "advanced clinic", which I figured out on my own since these people were doing a 4km run in about 30 min and it's only the first week of the 10 week clinic. This is what the website says for this advanced 5K clinic "If you can currently run gently for 1 minute then you are ready". Ready my *kitten*, and apparently they are more than happy to drop you down to lower clinics and have you take more of them but not refund your money, I MAY get a partial store credit but they will have to discuss that with their head office. I guess it's buyer beware, if you ever decide to sign up for a running clinic with the Running Room consider yourself warned.

I felt so bad about running so slowly that I felt too embarrassed to run outdoors later this morning. I ended up running on my treadmill instead. Although the -23*C temp. was also incentive to stay indoors. :#

Date Km Today - Km for Jan.
    1/3 5.73 - 5.73
    1/5 3.79 - 9.52
    1/6 5.41 - 14.93 10K running clinic
    1/8 6.08 - 21.01
    =========
    Goal 75 km

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    Polar Hero 5km OCR? - 2/4
    Ottawa Tamarack 10km - 5/27
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    bmelb1 wrote: »

Sorry for the following rant but I really need to get this out of my system:
    After dropping down to the 5K running clinic Friday night, I joined the new group for the training run this morning and it went about as well as the 10K clinic Friday night. Everyone had taken the clinic before, two people joined our running group that were in the more advanced clinics, one of them was planning on running 17K today but decided to start out running with our group and continue on his own after. After 2 minutes of dynamic stretching,which was more than we did Friday night, everyone starting running at a fast pace, no warm up run, same as Friday night. Our group leader ran up front with the fastest 2 people and I was quickly left behind, after 1/4 km I felt like someone just sucked all the energy out of me as I watched everyone pull out way ahead of me. I couldn't run I just felt so deflated and upset that I turned around and walked back to the store and said I quit I want my money back, and I thought the advertisements for the clinics do not accurately reflect each clinic. The woman there tried to talk me into moving down to the learn to run clinic and then take the 5K clinic next round, similar to what I got talked into Friday night when they suggested I drop down to the 5K clinic and take the 10K next time. I told the woman I already did a learn to run program and I can run 5 km no problem, just not at the pace everyone else was running (on Friday my average pace was 11:37/km). They called me later this morning to try to convince me to reconsider and the woman on the phone admitted that the 5K clinic is an "advanced clinic", which I figured out on my own since these people were doing a 4km run in about 30 min and it's only the first week of the 10 week clinic. This is what the website says for this advanced 5K clinic "If you can currently run gently for 1 minute then you are ready". Ready my *kitten*, and apparently they are more than happy to drop you down to lower clinics and have you take more of them but not refund your money, I MAY get a partial store credit but they will have to discuss that with their head office. I guess it's buyer beware, if you ever decide to sign up for a running clinic with the Running Room consider yourself warned.

I felt so bad about running so slowly that I felt too embarrassed to run outdoors later this morning. I ended up running on my treadmill instead. Although the -23*C temp. was also incentive to stay indoors. :#

That just sucks. I was running with a group and they ran too fast for me too. The group leader was trying to qualify for Boston... No way my training pace was close to hers..

Don't let them get in your head. Run at your pace. Don't be embarrassed about getting out there. I'm slow. But I'm out there. And I'm faster than the ones on the couch.

It definitely sounds like it was misrepresented. Are they rated with the BBB? One complaint and they likely bend over backwards to refund your money.

• k80flec
    k80flec Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Jan: 45 miles running.

exercise.png

1st: 3.88 miles, Park Run - MTD 3.88
    2nd: 5 miles, Wk11:D2 C210k, Pilates - MTD 8.88
    3rd: 3.39 miles, club run helping to lead the back to running group - MTD 12.27
    4th: 0 miles, Pilates and Strength training - MTD 12.27
    5th: 3.43 miles club speed training, including hill bleeps and whistle tag! - MTD 15.7
    6th: 0 miles - MTD 15.7
    7th: 0 miles - MTD 15.7
    8th: 5.39 miles, Wk11:D3 C210K - MTD 21.09

@MNLittleFinn - I do hope you've not got Achilles tendinitis- or have caught it soon enough. I hope it heals quickly.
    @_nikkiwolf_ - it's very flat here and we struggle for hills!! I'm lucky if I get 6 metres of elevation. LOL :D
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @lisadecker - love the dogs! I'm a little obsessed with dogs even though I still don't have a running dog.
    @bmelb1 - sorry it wasn't a good group. I've not done running groups but my cycling group is the same way. We are in a pack and the ones in the front "pull" which just means they are getting the worst of the wind ... much easier to not be up front. Anyway, sometimes guys get up there and just start going way above the speed we are supposed to go. Sometimes people will call them out on it, but other times we just suffer or get dropped (meaning you can't keep up with the group). I've been dropped many times! Keep trying and hopefully you will meet some people that are more your speed (the advertised speed!)

We have had a blast of cool weather here in Orlando! Yesterday Disney cancelled the half marathon because the rain/temps were too low. Today is supposed to be the marathon and I assume that went on. My daughter and I ran together this morning at 7am and it was 36F! For me that is cold! But it was nice when dressed properly. She is on her way back to NYC to the very cold weather. She joined a gym for running when it is icy out but says it is not much fun.

1/1 - rest day (recovering from stomach virus)
    1/2 - 40 mile bike ride
    1/3 - 4 miles
    1/4 - 4.1 miles
    1/5 - rest day
    1/6 - 5 miles
    1/7 - 4 miles
    1/8 - 5 miles

Upcoming races
    2/5/17 - Daytona Beach HM
    2/26/17 - Disney Princess HM Orlando

exercise.png
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    01.01.17 - 15 m. LR
    01.02.17 - 10 m.
    01.03.17 - 9.1 m. TM 6 M + 5K.
    01.05.17 - 9 m. TM w/ incline.
    01.06.17 - 10 m. TM. 9:10 pace.
    01.07.17 - 8.1 m. TM 5 M + 5K.
    01.08.17 - 8.8 m. incl 2x5K's.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    1/1 - 4 miles
    1/2 - 1.5 miles
    1/3 - 0 miles
    1/4 - 3.5 miles
    1/5 - 3 miles
    1/6 - 4 miles
    1/7 - 2 miles with Skip and Macy
    1/8 - 0 rest day

18 of 100 miles

@bmelb1 I would be livid, especially after your experience with the 10K running group. We have so many running groups around here and I have never heard of anything like that, whether it's a unofficial group or a store running it. Even when someone posts on our FB page they say "I'm going x miles at x pace and I won't wait" or "all paces welcome just post what your mileage will be and pace and someone will run with you". I'm so sorry for your experience. Please don't let that stop you from running outside, we all started somewhere.

@ddmom0811 yes the full did run today at Disney. Nice job getting out there in cold :smile:

@patrikc333 glad you didn't get run over
  • _RNR_
    _RNR_ Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    48/150+ complete
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @bmelb1 Thanks! I'm sorry to hear about your experience with the running group! It totally sucks when things are totally not as advertised and the company doesn't strive to make it right
    @k80flec Thanks! Great job running and keeping going on C210K!
    @ddmom0811 LOL, 34 seems nice to me! Nice Running!
    @KeepRunningFatboy nice job! that 2x5k sounds interesting
    @patrikc333 I used to live on a farm...I know all about that aroma! Nice Run!
    @skippygirlsmom hope your rest day is truly restful!
    @Rule5pt5 Awesome, you're totally on track to make your goal!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    1/1: 5 miles
    1/2: 2.4 miles
    1/3: Busy day
    1/4: 4.5 miles (am), 4.5 miles (pm) + lifting
    1/5: 6 miles
    1/6: 4 miles + lifting
    1/7: 4.2 miles trails
    1/8: 10 miles +0.6 (Cocoa Classic 10 miler)

Despite some morning qualms about today's race after the first real snowstorm of the year (~3-4 inches, so not AWFUL) and some pretty frigid temperatures (race start: 18-20F, feels like temp of 11-13F), today's 10 miler went pretty well! Initially I wanted to use the race to test my HM pace (7:20-7:30/mile) but that was not happening with the slush on the roads and the hills of Central Park. Instead I chose to go at a quick but cautious pace. I wound up 10th in my age group with an 8:08 pace. It seems everyone adopted a fairly cautious pace; last year the women who got top 3 in my AG paced 7:04-7:13 and this year the top 3 paced 7:44-7:48. Post-race my big ol' group (we had 12 people!) went to brunch and thawed out before driving back to NJ. It was a long adventure (left around 6:30; got home at 3 pm) but a really fun way to spend the bulk of a Sunday!

exercise.png

Winter/Spring 2017 Races:
    1/8: NYCRUNS Cocoa Classic 10 mile 1:21:37 (10th AG)
    2/18: FebApple Frozen 50 - 10 mile (trail)
    3/12: E. Murray Todd HM
    3/18: Looney Leprechaun 10k (trail)
    3/26: Philly Love Run HM
    5/14: Delaware Marathon Running Festival HM
    5/21 or 5/28: Cleveland or Vermont City Marathons (maybe)
    7/1: Finger Lakes Fifties 50k (trail)
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @kristinegift that sounds like a great day! I'll admit it I'm a little jealous
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    bmelb1 wrote: »
    This is what the website says for this advanced 5K clinic "If you can currently run gently for 1 minute then you are ready". Ready my *kitten*, and apparently they are more than happy to drop you down to lower clinics and have you take more of them but not refund your money, I MAY get a partial store credit but they will have to discuss that with their head office. I guess it's buyer beware, if you ever decide to sign up for a running clinic with the Running Room consider yourself warned.

@bmelb1 that is TERRIBLE. I don't think you should drop the issue about getting your refund AND I would keep making noise that they are not offering what is advertised. How many other people have been scared away, I wonder. Our groups always make a huge point to take care of the slower runners and there is usually a coach that will stick with the slowest ones.

DO NOT let this make you feel bad! You have nothing to be embarrassed about.

@patrikc333 - oh my on the almost getting run over. Yikes! I once had to smack the hood of a car with my hand to let them know I was there as the started going through the crosswalk I was in, and my heart raced for days after that.
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    1/4- no shoes
    1/5- barefoot treadmill 1.5
    1/6- barefoot treadmill 1.7 =3.2
    1/7- 2.15 =5.35
    1/8- 1.626 = 6.976 of 30 miles
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @MNlittlefinn it's a typical Mom rest day, laundry, cooking, food shopping, cleaning, you know a rest day LOL
    @kristinegift awesome! Glad the trip into the City for the race went well
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @MNlittlefinn it's a typical Mom rest day, laundry, cooking, food shopping, cleaning, you know a rest day LOL

LOL yeah, just like mine
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

01/01/17 - 5 miles
    01/02/17 - 5 miles
    01/03/17 - 3 miles
    01/05/17 - 6 miles
    01/07/17 - 10 miles
    01/08/17 - 3.25 miles

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    January milege
    1---0.50 walk
    2---3.47 w
    4---5.37
    6---1.39
    8---1.0 running sucks. Back to the couch to watch football.

7.76/30 running miles
    3.97 walking miles

• AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Found opportunity to run again today

Date.......Distance

January 1 - 12.1 km
    January 2 - 7.0 km
    January 3 - 12.9+5.3 km
    January 4 - 11.5 km
    January 5 - 7.0 km
    January 6 - 3.8 km
    January 7 - 9.45 km
    January 8 - 9.8+6.0 km

exercise.png
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @bmelb1 sorry you've had such an awful experience. Surely the whole POINT of the clinic is to bring everyone up to speed. There's no way they should be letting you fall behind.

@patrikc333 wow!!! Glad you were okay!!

No run today. Did a 8.5m walk between two motorway bridges. Not that you could see them it was so foggy!! Strange listening to their foghorns on the way back and working out the point at which the sound crossed. That and watch the murmurations. Wished I'd had a long lens on my camera (and my memory card wasn't full!!!)
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    No running again today. Still exhausted. I think the new meds are causing fatigue as well. Oh well, tis to be expected. So this is an off weekend. Will get back to it tomorrow. I have four straight days with time to run this week, so yay.

I've also decided that as soon as the weather starts getting better, I'm going to start my HM training program. I figure that'll start in late February or March. Looking forward to that.