Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

So. What's the worst weight loss myth?

Options

Replies

• leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Absolute, positive worst one I've seen yet - a varied diet with everything in moderation is biomedically equivalent to recreational drug usage in terms of impact upon your health.

Yes, that just happened.

So before you go running around threads and quoting me, how about showing me that evidence where moderate use of marijuana, psilocybin or amphetamines creates evidence of damage to your health... as I pointed out, you can even use the tip of looking at how research papers talk about refined sugar and compare it to recreational drug use.

We're stuck in the 1950s here, where ingesting fat is a bad idea, where moderate marijuana causes long term brain damage and where refined sugar doesn't have an impact on your neural receptors, causing you to be at higher risk of craving more.

Nope, fats not bad, marijuana doesn't cause brain damage and sugar isn't addictive. Please come on. Tell me I'm reading this wrong!
  • SymbolismNZ
    SymbolismNZ Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2235907/

After a month on this intermittent-feeding schedule, the animals show a series of behaviors similar to the effects of drugs of abuse. These are categorized as “bingeing”, meaning unusually large bouts of intake, opiate-like “withdrawal” indicated by signs of anxiety and behavioral depression (Colantuoni et al., 2001, 2002), and “craving” measured during sugar abstinence as enhanced responding for sugar (Avena et al., 2005). There are also signs of both locomotor and consummatory “cross-sensitization” from sugar to drugs of abuse (Avena et al., 2004, Avena and Hoebel, 2003b). Having found these behaviors that are common to drug dependency with supporting evidence from other laboratories (Gosnell, 2005, Grimm et al., 2005, Wideman et al., 2005), the next question is why this happens.

• leanjogreen18
    Options
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2235907/

After a month on this intermittent-feeding schedule, the animals show a series of behaviors similar to the effects of drugs of abuse. These are categorized as “bingeing”, meaning unusually large bouts of intake, opiate-like “withdrawal” indicated by signs of anxiety and behavioral depression (Colantuoni et al., 2001, 2002), and “craving” measured during sugar abstinence as enhanced responding for sugar (Avena et al., 2005). There are also signs of both locomotor and consummatory “cross-sensitization” from sugar to drugs of abuse (Avena et al., 2004, Avena and Hoebel, 2003b). Having found these behaviors that are common to drug dependency with supporting evidence from other laboratories (Gosnell, 2005, Grimm et al., 2005, Wideman et al., 2005), the next question is why this happens.

does it matter that processed meat is a #1 carcinogen? Do you eat that? Seems odd to me folks point to sugar being addictive when studies don't prove it but then ignore processed meat study. Idk
  • SymbolismNZ
    edited January 2017
    Options
    does it matter that processed meat is a #1 carcinogen? Do you eat that? Seems odd to me folks point to sugar being addictive when studies don't prove it but then ignore processed meat study. Idk

Well in the case of processed meats, many of them include sucrose or high fructose corn syrup (alongside an overload of sodium) to assist in preserving the meat and giving it a longer life.

Also, in the case of processed meats, what needs to be taken into account is that our total protein consumption has increased massively over the past fifty years (in part due to the prevalence of processed meat) and too much protein is a massively bad thing for your health.

Those factors above, combined with the sheer amount of chemicals thrown in to a lot of meat processing processes have a ton of potential health risks.

I do eat some processed meats (ham, bacon) but I generally look for sugar free/uncured products.
  • leanjogreen18
    Options

Well in the case of processed meats, many of them include sucrose or high fructose corn syrup (alongside an overload of sodium) to assist in preserving the meat and giving it a longer life.

Also, in the case of processed meats, what needs to be taken into account is that our total protein consumption has increased massively over the past fifty years (in part due to the prevalence of processed meat) and too much protein is a massively bad thing for your health.

Which is kinda my point...everything in moderation:).
  • SymbolismNZ
    Options

Which is cool, like I said in the thread he's quoting, the point I made in that thread is that refined sugar itself has been linked to a number of health risks in oncogenes, neurological disorders and appetite disorders and therefore consuming it in moderation is very similar to a moderate drug user, i/e the genesis of this debate.

• SymbolismNZ
    Options
    "So far beyond debatable" - i.e "I cannot be bothered to read the research you linked, I will simply use my already preformed opinion and state it as gospel truth"

• SymbolismNZ
    edited January 2017
    Options
    A ton of research and literature indicates that long term moderate marijuana use has no long term health impacts and actually has some benefits, the same with psylocibin and amphetamines

PCP and drugs of that ilk are a different story, even short term moderate use causes large degrees of damage to certain neural receptors, as well as damage to a bunch of other systems in your body.

The thing is you don't actually have to believe me; the research is there.

(ps, alcohol also includes refined sugars... ;) )
  • leanjogreen18
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I don't believe sugar is addictive. I also agreed up thread marijuana wasn't. No matter really. It's all good.
  • SymbolismNZ
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Does every thread need to be turned into "sugar is addictive"? I come here wanting some funny shizzle to read at 6a and it's the SOSO "sugar is addictive" run-around. Makes me miss the days of "every

So being this condescending when you don't actually read what is written doesn't really show off a charming character. And just because you're in denial and refuse to read the research doesn't make me accountable for your 6AM feelgood.

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

Which is cool, like I said in the thread he's quoting, the point I made in that thread is that refined sugar itself has been linked to a number of health risks in oncogenes, neurological disorders and appetite disorders and therefore consuming it in moderation is very similar to a moderate drug user, i/e the genesis of this debate.

Yeah, no. Very few drugs are used in moderation. I would love to agree with you but just no. I've not once seen a post where folks go full on the bag of sugar if they run out of cookies nor have I seen folks attack bananas, or any fruit because they are out of sweets. Have I known of folks going after mouthwash or cough syrup when they are out of alcohol or drugs, oh yeah. Sorry I want to believe you but it's just not proven other than the anti sugar folks. Please really think long and hard, folks would full on go for not only bags of sugar but any fruit if this were true.

Jo, save yourself. It's not worth the energy to type logic here.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    A ton of research and literature indicates that long term moderate marijuana use has no long term health impacts and actually has some benefits, the same with psylocibin and amphetamines

PCP and drugs of that ilk are a different story, even short term moderate use causes large degrees of damage to certain neural receptors, as well as damage to a bunch of other systems in your body.

The thing is you don't actually have to believe me; the research is there.

(ps, alcohol also includes refined sugars... ;) )

Yeah, I just saw a report the other day that counters that and some preliminary new research that suggests it might be. Sorry about that.

Now that marijuana is being legalized in some places here in the states, there's more evidence coming forward. Of course, this could have been crappy science reporting.

PS. Alcohol doesn't contain sugar. It's lost in distillation.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,121 Member
    Options

Yeah, no. Very few drugs are used in moderation. I would love to agree with you but just no. I've not once seen a post where folks go full on the bag of sugar if they run out of cookies nor have I seen folks attack bananas, or any fruit because they are out of sweets. Have I known of folks going after mouthwash or cough syrup when they are out of alcohol or drugs, oh yeah. Sorry I want to believe you but it's just not proven other than the anti sugar folks. Please really think long and hard, folks would full on go for not only bags of sugar but any fruit if this were true.

Jo, save yourself. It's not worth the energy to type logic here.

This made me LOL. Jo, good points.
This discussion has been closed.