Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

So. What's the worst weight loss myth?

Options

Replies

• WayTooHonest
    WayTooHonest Posts: 144 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    That a pound of fat weighs more than a pound of muscle.

NO.

One pound = one pound. I don't care if it's a pound of feathers or a pound of rocks.

Muscle is more DENSE thus takes up less space. Just like the brains of some of the folks on this site.

Did you not read the post right above yours?

Nope. Sure didn't. And didn't read 99% of the 5 pages of answers. Just answered the question. ZFG. But thanks for pointing out that apparently I can't have the same answer as someone else.
  • mattdhall
    mattdhall Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    ieroen wrote: »
    Doing cardio will burn fat. :D
    This. You see so many people doing an hour or more of cardio thinking they are burning off their fat stores.

What is it that they are doing, then?
  • WayTooHonest
    WayTooHonest Posts: 144 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

NO.

One pound = one pound. I don't care if it's a pound of feathers or a pound of rocks.

Muscle is more DENSE thus takes up less space. Just like the brains of some of the folks on this site.

Did you not read the post right above yours?

Nope. Sure didn't. And didn't read 99% of the 5 pages of answers. Just answered the question. ZFG. But thanks for pointing out that apparently I can't have the same answer as someone else.

Except the answer above describe why it really shouldn't be considered a myth.

Well my physics professor would argue otherwise. Weight, density, and volume are three different things. But like I said, ZFG.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Like I said before, it is a myth that anyone believes this.

stevencloser's post illustrates this particularly well.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Edited: my favorite thing is gluten intolerance do not exist.

My wife is gluten intolerant. I've seen her doubled over in pain from something she didn't think had gluten. She is also lactose, potatoe, bean, and intolerant of a few other things. No diagnoses as it can't be tested for, but she has restricted the foods that cause issues and id much happier.

So, yeah. I agree with you on this one.
  • sae12
    sae12 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    All these gimmicks you see advertised on TV to help you lose weight.
  • bramble345
    bramble345 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    mattdhall wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    ieroen wrote: »
    Doing cardio will burn fat. :D
    This. You see so many people doing an hour or more of cardio thinking they are burning off their fat stores.

What is it that they are doing, then?

Having fun!
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    The starvation myth by far,

but also - only if you eat low carb your body will your fat reserves, because it has no choice.
    And on TV some stuff - if you eat this you will loose 8 times more weight than just watching calories Well better not buy it then - would be nothing left of me
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Re: Gluten... What about the folks who don't have a gluten allergy but switch over to gluten free products thinking it will be better for their diet. Most gluten free products i have looked at have more calories than the regular food they are substituting :huh:

We avoid gluten free products. Instead, we look for products that are inherently gluten free.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Re: Gluten... What about the folks who don't have a gluten allergy but switch over to gluten free products thinking it will be better for their diet. Most gluten free products i have looked at have more calories than the regular food they are substituting :huh:

We avoid gluten free products. Instead, we look for products that are inherently gluten free.

Preach. It's the only way to go.

There are some that are worth it (some cookies are pretty tasty), but by and large, there's a whole world of inherently gluten free cuisine out there that requires no tedious substitution nonsense. Potatoes, rice, and corn are tasty starches in their own rights and plenty of dishes feature them.

I learned my lesson a few years after my celiac diagnosis and too many gluten-free substitute disappointments.

As for topic, hmmm... I'm not sure what the worst diet myth is.

I think "a calorie isn't just a calorie" bothers me more than most because I personally fell for the idea that how I ate would make me thin. I was a very fat person with a really healthy diet thinking that.

Another one I'm not fond of is that carbs spike insulin and make you store fat in a deficit, implying that fat storage is permanent.

Actually, the whole brouhaha over fat burning vs. glycogen burning is ridiculous when it's simply a matter of energy balance and the choice between diets is preference.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Preach. It's the only way to go.

There are some that are worth it (some cookies are pretty tasty), but by and large, there's a whole world of inherently gluten free cuisine out there that requires no tedious substitution nonsense. Potatoes, rice, and corn are tasty starches in their own rights and plenty of dishes feature them.

I learned my lesson a few years after my celiac diagnosis and too many gluten-free substitute disappointments.

As for topic, hmmm... I'm not sure what the worst diet myth is.

I think "a calorie isn't just a calorie" bothers me more than most because I personally fell for the idea that how I ate would make me thin. I was a very fat person with a really healthy diet thinking that.

Another one I'm not fond of is that carbs spike insulin and make you store fat in a deficit, implying that fat storage is permanent.

Actually, the whole brouhaha over fat burning vs. glycogen burning is ridiculous when it's simply a matter of energy balance and the choice between diets is preference.

My wife has quite a few food issues so it isn't as simple for her as finding gluten free. Has to be free of milk products and potato. We have to check ingredients pretty carefully. She eats lots of veggies which means cooking something different for me as I hate most of them.

The calorie isn't a calorie, or that there are "good" calories and "bad" calories popped it's head up for me this week. Not my favorite.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Absolute, positive worst one I've seen yet - a varied diet with everything in moderation is biomedically equivalent to recreational drug usage in terms of impact upon your health.

Yes, that just happened.

What???
This discussion has been closed.