Do you refrigerate butter?

Options

Replies

• fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Will that work in Southeastern U. S. Climate? Humid, warm, beaches, you guys have really sparked my interest.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Nope, especially not in the winter as our house hovers around 63 degrees. When it gets hot in the summer I am more inclined to refrigerate it, and of course all the not-in-use butter is either in the fridge or the freezer.

I have never in my life seen a stick of moldy butter. Under what conditions does this happen?

Generally it's stuff like crumbs in the butter which go mouldy. Pure butter is far more at risk of going rancid (and even that takes a while).

Personally, I've come home after a summers day at work to find candles in liquid form, so butter doesn't have any hope!
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I wonder how many use real butter?

Some is out and some is in the fridge at our house. Real butter. Never oleo. Never any problems leaving it out.

I only use 100% real butter, usually salted. When we got married my husband was one to buy Shedd's Spread or some other abomination. I took care of that habit really fast. ;)
  • wanzik
    wanzik Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I keep it frozen until I need a new stick and then I keep that in the cupboard. I hate trying to spread hard butter on bread or pancakes. In the summer it tends to start to mold before I can use it all. From now on I'll just take out a half a stick or so as I use it.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Wikipedia says "Butter remains a solid when refrigerated, but softens to a spreadable consistency at room temperature, and melts to a thin liquid consistency at 32–35 °C (90–95 °F)."

It's never that warm in my house unless the AC is broken. We have hot summers, Oklahoma USA.

Y'all really live and sleep in temps hot enough to melt butter?

A huge number of houses in Australia don't have AC at all, or have room by room reverse cycle systems (like mine) which are only turned on when someone is home. Because we don't get the freezing winters, by and large, whole house climate control is actually in the minority, particularly in older homes. I've never even been in an Australian house that has a furnace, for instance.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Barbonica wrote: »
    Nope. I use a french butter dish/crock. Keeps it cool enough in the summer not to melt, but keeps it soft for usage. Butter existed long before we refrigeration.

This is exactly what I do. Works perfectly and I've never had my butter get too melty or go rancid.
  • wanzik
    wanzik Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Wikipedia says "Butter remains a solid when refrigerated, but softens to a spreadable consistency at room temperature, and melts to a thin liquid consistency at 32–35 °C (90–95 °F)."

It's never that warm in my house unless the AC is broken. We have hot summers, Oklahoma USA.

My place can get around 80 degrees in the daytime in July and August. The butter isn't a liquid but it is very soft and goes bad much more quickly than the winter when I keep the place 68-70 degrees.
  • amygarcia0212
    amygarcia0212 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    fr3smyl wrote: »
    Will that work in Southeastern U. S. Climate? Humid, warm, beaches, you guys have really sparked my interest.

Absolutely! I've lived in Southern Texas, Eastern North Carolina, and now Virginia Beach. Always one stick on the counter in a covered butter dish, the rest in the fridge/freezer. I'm too impatient to wait for butter to soften enough to spread on my bread
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

A huge number of houses in Australia don't have AC at all, or have room by room reverse cycle systems (like mine) which are only turned on when someone is home. Because we don't get the freezing winters, by and large, whole house climate control is actually in the minority, particularly in older homes. I've never even been in an Australian house that has a furnace, for instance.
    wanzik wrote: »

My place can get around 80 degrees in the daytime in July and August. The butter isn't a liquid but it is very soft and goes bad much more quickly than the winter when I keep the place 68-70 degrees.

Thanks for the insight!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I just always assumed that since butter is dairy, it should be refrigerated. And it was always in the fridge growing up.

I learned something in the Debate Forum!!!

:joy:
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    When I buy real butter it stays out on the counter in a butter dish (glass container with lid). Margarine goes into the fridge though.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Butter doesn't stay in my house long enough to worry about it. We go through about a box (real butter) every 7-10 days.

oops, refrigerated. Used for cooking though, so consistency doesn't really matter.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I've always kept a portion of butter for daily use on the counter (covered butter dish). So did my mother, and her mother... Never developed mold. Unopened sticks kept in the fridge, however.

ETA: winter time, of course, it's cool in the house. Summers back in my childhood, we had no AC (Wisconsin can and does have brutal, humid summers). Maybe we didn't keep the butter out then. Or never more than a day.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Oh, and Google "butter boat." It's a low-tech way to keep butter out, but cool enough to stay fresh. I'd bet our ancestors used these before ice boxes and fridges. I should ask my grandma.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Nope, especially not in the winter as our house hovers around 63 degrees. When it gets hot in the summer I am more inclined to refrigerate it, and of course all the not-in-use butter is either in the fridge or the freezer.

I have never in my life seen a stick of moldy butter. Under what conditions does this happen?

I had moldy butter after it was sitting unopened in the fridge for 6 months. Peeled back the foil wrapping and green.

I only use butter for baking shortbread or other cookies that require butter. Otherwise I use margarine. I have Becel and Parkay spreadable margarines for sammiches and toast. I always keep it in the fridge.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    The sticks not in use go in the fridge. Once the stick goes in the butter dish, no more fridge.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    We keep it in the fridge. I find it tastes weird if it stays on the counter.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

Generally it's stuff like crumbs in the butter which go mouldy. Pure butter is far more at risk of going rancid (and even that takes a while).

Personally, I've come home after a summers day at work to find candles in liquid form, so butter doesn't have any hope!

*crosses Australia off my list of places to visit*

Anyway, OP, yes I do keep it in the fridge