Should I throw out all my peanut butter

Options
Hi everyone,
So I'll just plain say it: I have a peanut butter addiction. Ever since going vegan, I've been craving nuts, nut butters, beans, etc and I assumed it's because of the protein content; I've always liked protein but NEVER like this. I crave it constantly and could eat it at every meal.
The problem is, I really can't control myself and end up eating way too much. It's really the only food I can't control myself around, I've gotten way healthier habits and can avoid any other binges. I've tried so many things: hiding it, making daily goals to not have any, etc. I've also tried measuring out portions but i ALWAYS end up eating more.
I feel gross after I eat it and I honestly think it's the main thing stalling fat loss. Should I just stop buying it? My school has peanut butter in small tablespoon portioned cups that I'll allow myself to have if I really want it so I'm not depriving myself completely. I just hate how I feel after I eat a lot and want to get rid of that negative feeling.

Replies

• Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    In this situation, I would say yes. Or give it away.
  • malindak12
    malindak12 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Is all natural peanut butter healthy?
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    If the PB is putting you over your calories and you are reaching your daily fat macro, then I would try a PB break. I took a break from sweets for a month and after I brought them back into my diet I felt more in control around them. I think we sometimes get into habits and get silly ideas in our heads about how we need this food to feel good or satiate some craving. Maybe try out a vegan protein powder so you can get more protein with less calories. I used to be vegetarian and it takes a lot of extra planning and thinking about food differently. I felt like I had to throw the food groups idea out the window and really break foods down into their macros to find the right combos and feel satisfied.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    id finish the peanut butter or give it away and not buy more.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I'll eat it!
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    When I was briefly vegan, I bought only unsweetened, unsalted PB. Maybe that would help? If it's a good way for you to get your protein in, I wouldn't give it up entirely, but there are a lot of other vegan protein sources: whole/sprouted grains, beans (obviously), lentils, etc. If you're concerned about fat intake, maybe give it up for awhile and try some other sources.

P.S.

Quinoa and soy are also good sources of vegan protein, but I am personally against them. Soy farming contributes to deforestation and quinoa's newfound popularity has made it almost inaccessible to the people who rely on it to survive, as well as causing loss of topsoil.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    You could try to exercise some self control?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I would say first of all, how much fat and protein are you getting in your diet?

Nuts and seeds are almost all fat, not protein, but i'd want to see what you're currently eating. If you're having such strong cravings, it kind of makes you wonder what is insufficient in your current diet.
  • DavidRocketts
    DavidRocketts Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    PB in a measured quantity can be a good source of protein and fat, but if you can't handle it 'in moderation' I'd buy no more. I have the same issue with alcohol, so just don't have any in the house. As the good book says - if something causes you to sin, cut it out! Good luck ;) (I'd get rid)
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned PB2 yet - it's not quite the same as the real stuff but is close enough, with a lot less calories.
  • unsuspectingfish
    Options
    Why's everyone so afraid of fat?

Because it has 9 calories per gram and is extremely easy to put you over your daily caloric intake. That aside, there is nothing wrong with dietary fat and is actually required for hormonal functions.

Exactly what I was getting at (sorry, I often forget that tone is very hard to read in text). There's nothing wrong with it, especially if you're getting it from nuts and seeds. People on here just always seem so quick to tell people to cut out ALL the fat.
  • rainbowbow
    Options

Because it has 9 calories per gram and is extremely easy to put you over your daily caloric intake. That aside, there is nothing wrong with dietary fat and is actually required for hormonal functions.

Exactly what I was getting at (sorry, I often forget that tone is very hard to read in text). There's nothing wrong with it, especially if you're getting it from nuts and seeds. People on here just always seem so quick to tell people to cut out ALL the fat.

did anyone suggest that?

I know i asked specifically what she's actually eating.
  • unsuspectingfish
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

did anyone suggest that?

Did I say that you specifically said that? I said "people on here", as in MFP. There just seem to be a lot of people on this particular thread commenting on the fat content, which is why I brought it up.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

did anyone suggest that?

Did I say that you specifically said that?
    I said "people on here", as in MFP. There just seem to be a lot of people on this particular thread commenting on the fat content, which is why I brought it up.

No, but you did respond right after my post where i mention that nuts and seeds are almost pure fat, not "packed full of protein" like the OP suggested.

Just saying.