DIET COKE VS COKE ZERO

Options

Replies

• findingone
    findingone Posts: 31 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    rks581 wrote: »
    Here's the truth according to Wikipedia. Back when Coca-Cola wanted to introduce a diet product, they deliberately made it taste different from Coke because they were worried about losing market share to Pepsi. Since the 90s, there's been so many different choices in soft drinks and Coke has generally dominated Pepsi. So both companies were free to diversify products to attract different niches.

Over in Europe, Coke Light was always the same flavor as Coca-Cola, but with artificial sweeteners. Coca-Cola decided to market a product that used the same base as Coke Classic, but without sugar. Since it wouldn't have the word "diet" in the name, they marketed it to men who might not want to order a "diet" drink but who might still want to, as the ads said, enjoy life without consequences.

So basically...
    Coke Classic = Coke Classic base + sugar (cane sugar in Mexico, beet sugar in Canada, high fructose corn syrup in the US)
    Diet Coke = Diet Coke base + artificial sweetener (aspartame)
    Coke Zero = Coke Classic base + artificial sweetener (aspartame/acesulfame-K)

Hope that was interesting to somebody,

It is. I also heard that Coke Zero has more caffeine in it that tends to give it a more natural sugar/less fake taste. I don't know where I heard that. I think on the internet.

Some days Coke hits the spot. :)
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    findingone wrote: »
    Here's the truth according to Wikipedia. Back when Coca-Cola wanted to introduce a diet product, they deliberately made it taste different from Coke because they were worried about losing market share to Pepsi. Since the 90s, there's been so many different choices in soft drinks and Coke has generally dominated Pepsi. So both companies were free to diversify products to attract different niches.

Over in Europe, Coke Light was always the same flavor as Coca-Cola, but with artificial sweeteners. Coca-Cola decided to market a product that used the same base as Coke Classic, but without sugar. Since it wouldn't have the word "diet" in the name, they marketed it to men who might not want to order a "diet" drink but who might still want to, as the ads said, enjoy life without consequences.

So basically...
    Coke Classic = Coke Classic base + sugar (cane sugar in Mexico, beet sugar in Canada, high fructose corn syrup in the US)

It is. I also heard that Coke Zero has more caffeine in it that tends to give it a more natural sugar/less fake taste. I don't know where I heard that. I think on the internet.

Diet Coke has more than Coke Zero (46mg vs 34mg in a 12oz can). Coke Zero has the same amount as regular Coke. Source: Coke's website, which is impressively informative.

Pretty sure Coke Zero and Coke are identical except for the sweetener. I think I hate HFCS, I can only tolerate regular Coke if it has alcohol in it to cut the cloying sweetness.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

So basically...

I can only tolerate regular Coke if it has alcohol in it to cut the cloying sweetness.

Pro-tip: Captain & Coke, with a 1/2 shot of Chambord.

• noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I hate regular Coke, and Coke Zero tastes way too much like it.

You can pry my Diet Coke from my cold, dead, aspartame-filled hands!

Ditto
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Pooshka2 wrote: »
    Neither. Studies have shown that diet sodas do NOT aid in weight loss. Too many artificial sweeteners and other icky chemicals. Water is your best friend if you're trying to drop a few pounds. Great for your kidneys and digestive system.

No one asked you.

I much prefer Zero. I preferred Pepsi Max until I realized that one of the energy drink components in it (guarana, which they've taken out, or ginseng) was giving me heart palpitations. I also really liked Diet Pepsi until they put Splenda in it. I'm glad they've put out a classic version, now.

Weird, Pepsi Max has never had that in it here. Mountain Dew doesn't have caffeine here either.

Where are you? Pepsi max has ginseng and MTN dew caffeine here in Canada

Australia. I don't think there are any non-cola soft drinks (aside from energy drinks like Red Bull etc) that have caffeine. And Pepsi Max definitely doesn't have any ginseng either. That actually explains why it tasted so weird when I was in the US.

Fun fact - We also have Sprite, label looks the same - totally different drink.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Neither. Studies have shown that diet sodas do NOT aid in weight loss. Too many artificial sweeteners and other icky chemicals. Water is your best friend if you're trying to drop a few pounds. Great for your kidneys and digestive system.

No one asked you.

I much prefer Zero. I preferred Pepsi Max until I realized that one of the energy drink components in it (guarana, which they've taken out, or ginseng) was giving me heart palpitations. I also really liked Diet Pepsi until they put Splenda in it. I'm glad they've put out a classic version, now.

Weird, Pepsi Max has never had that in it here. Mountain Dew doesn't have caffeine here either.

Australia. I don't think there are any non-cola soft drinks (aside from energy drinks like Red Bull etc) that have caffeine. And Pepsi Max definitely doesn't have any ginseng either. That actually explains why it tasted so weird when I was in the US.

I had recently seen a post on Tumblr that what we call Sprite here you guys call lemonade. Now I want to know what Sprite is!
  • paultireland
    paultireland Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Pepsi is gross. It tastes like syrup to me. Far too sweet. Coke Zero is much better than Diet Coke. Diet Coke reminds me a little of the old Tab soda. I don't care much for soda of any kind anymore though. I stick to non-carbonated drinks like iced-tea with no sugar.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

No one asked you.

I had recently seen a post on Tumblr that what we call Sprite here you guys call lemonade. Now I want to know what Sprite is!

Yup, Sprite here is what we call lemonade. It's a clear fizzy sweet drink that tastes like... well, not a lot. Not lemons. And it isn't lemon/lime like in the US. I'm actually struggling to describe what it tastes like and think of a US equivalent.
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I'm shocked how many people prefer Coke Zero. I love Diet Coke, don't care for Coke Zero at all. Or Pepsi Max for that matter
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Here's the truth according to Wikipedia.

The irony here is beaitiful.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options

No one asked you.

I'm kind of envious. I much prefer the taste of Pepsi Max but just don't dare drink it with the ginseng.
  • Cheerios0392
    Cheerios0392 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Coke zero.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    yuk to both, I hate soda period, ginger ale with whiskey.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    diet coke is gross zero all the way!!
  • nkucic
    nkucic Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Neither...that stuff is like acid
  • noemorales1022
    noemorales1022 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    alyssa0061 wrote: »
    I'm shocked how many people prefer Coke Zero. I love Diet Coke, don't care for Coke Zero at all. Or Pepsi Max for that matter

Me too! Started I drinking Diet Coke since I got married, but now I wonder if I should try Zero. Hmmm
  • geminiswede
    geminiswede Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I'll drink either, but I usually go with diet coke unless there's cherry coke zero. Unfortunately my grocery store only has cans for the cherry coke zero, and work has it in bottles in the cafeteria but it's overpriced.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,034 Member
    Options

So basically...

That is interesting - as I do prefer coke zero to diet coke, the latter tastes more chemically to me.
    So I agree with your Internet source on the taste issue.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke. Only Coke Zero if it's the cherry flavored kind.