January 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I'm still on a running hiatus due to home project commitments. I think I can get that project done tonight, hopefully with some time to spare for a run.

I have my Wisconsin weekend run picked out. I'm going to intercept the Ice Age Trail about 35 minutes west of Milwaukee and run as long as my schedule allows...hoping for 10 miles, minimum. If we go on Saturday I'll bring my headlamp and try to get my 20 mile run in. I'm excited to run some new territory. So far neither my wife nor son have figured out that the reason I want to leave so early is so I can fit in a run and still avoid an overnight stay.

You are so funny Lenny.

@Orphia Congratulations on your big interview. I had to read it on my phone since work is blocking the jpeg.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Ok, my plan calls for 30 minutes tonight. I am going to attempt it and take it VERY easy. HAH I am only take cough medicine at night to help me get through the night without coughing and I am not blowing my nose every other minute anymore. Energy level is back to normal (worked all day yesterday, picked up stuff from Target AND went grocery shopping without any fatigue!) Oh, and my appetite is back. I am hungry approximately every 5 minutes again.

For now I am telling myself I am running 26 point freaking 2 on Sunday. We shall see how tonight goes. :p
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Ok, my plan calls for 30 minutes tonight. I am going to attempt it and take it VERY easy. HAH I am only take cough medicine at night to help me get through the night without coughing and I am not blowing my nose every other minute anymore. Energy level is back to normal (worked all day yesterday, picked up stuff from Target AND went grocery shopping without any fatigue!) Oh, and my appetite is back. I am hungry approximately every 5 minutes again.

For now I am telling myself I am running 26 point freaking 2 on Sunday. We shall see how tonight goes. :p

Glad you're feeling better and hoping your recovery progresses. Being sick is not fun, especially so close to an important event like a marathon. Best wishes to you.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

Glad you are feeling better. I would do a short run tonight and plan taking tomorrow off to recover just in case anything in lingering. Then maybe a short run on Friday and a shakeout mile or two on Saturday if you are feeling well. Good luck!!!!
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    January Running challenge
    Goal: 50 km
    Ran: 14.4 km/50 km
    11/1/17 6.4 km
    5/1/17 5 km
    3/1/17 3 km
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    For those who have gone to PT before, is there anything I should know? I wasn't asked to bring anything with, but I was thinking about bring shorts to wear, and packing one of my pairs of running shoes, just in case.
  • lporter229
    Options
    Ugh! Forecast is calling for freezing rain and ice on Saturday AND Sunday. 16 miles on the schedule. Has anyone done that on a treadmill? Tips on how to cope? I generally listen to music. I have a TV in my basement, but it's offset from my treadmill and kind of hard to watch while running. I have not tried to hook my Kindle into the treadmill. I know for certain I can't read while running. I am not sure about movies on the Kindle.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Ugh! Forecast is calling for freezing rain and ice on Saturday AND Sunday. 16 miles on the schedule. Has anyone done that on a treadmill? Tips on how to cope? I generally listen to music. I have a TV in my basement, but it's offset from my treadmill and kind of hard to watch while running. I have not tried to hook my Kindle into the treadmill. I know for certain I can't read while running. I am not sure about movies on the Kindle.

I have never gone that far on the TM, but when I go longer, I find varying pace really helps, like make switches every 0.5-1 mile go as fast as HMP for like a half a mile, then switch back to E, then go GMP, something like that, to occupy your mind maybe?
  • lporter229
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn - That is how I generally make it through a treadmill run, but I am trying to avoid anything faster than MP+10 seconds for my long run this early on in my training. I can vary the speed, but it won't be much variance. LOL
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn - That is how I generally make it through a treadmill run, but I am trying to avoid anything faster than MP+10 seconds for my long run this early on in my training. I can vary the speed, but it won't be much variance. LOL

maybe set the incline to 10% for a half a mile and slow down. Making hard hills then going to 0% elevation worked well for practicing going up and down hills.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options

Glad you are feeling better. I would do a short run tonight and plan taking tomorrow off to recover just in case anything in lingering. Then maybe a short run on Friday and a shakeout mile or two on Saturday if you are feeling well. Good luck!!!!

That is pretty much my plan!

Although I didn't go long, I watched Netflix on my phone when I used my parents treadmill over Christmas. I tried music at first but after years of no treadmill I needed the distraction of netflix. It was much easier once I swtiched over.
  • tdbernrd
    tdbernrd Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    @greenolivetree I'm glad I'm in good company. I try to keep things hidden but they randomly pop out.

1/4-2.48
    1/5-2.39 miles & Pilates
    1/6-Pilates
    1/7-Rest day
    1/8-Pilates
    1/9-Pilates & 2.5 miles on the treadmill
    1/10-Pilates
    1/11-Pilates & 2.87 miles outside(no knee pain but it was a challenge. I burn so bad)

exercise.png
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 You might try an Audio Book. They are much longer than a movie and they keep us entertained on long road trips. I did 10 miles on a Zero Runner and 11 miles (1hr, 45 minutes) on an elliptical back when I was dealing with my hamstring strain. It was very tough, mentally. I just listened to music, but could have used something else. I was at the gym and wasn't sure how well Netflix would work on their WiFi.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn yes. Wear shorts or loose pants. There's likely to be an exam and exercises. If your lucky, massage! Hot packs! TENs! Haha!
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    For those who have gone to PT before, is there anything I should know? I wasn't asked to bring anything with, but I was thinking about bring shorts to wear, and packing one of my pairs of running shoes, just in case.

I just wear what I would to exercise in. Gym shoes, shorts/leggings, dry fit tee or tank. On my 1st visit, they had me run and did various things to determine where my pain was. Then my therapist did a hamstring rub down and this thing to help with hip flexor mobility, assigned me with exercises and showed me how to do them.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options

@MNlittleFinn I usually wear running capris only because for my therapy there was a lot of leg in the air and him twisting and laying on me. I didn't want anything to show :wink: I wore old running shoes, though most of the time I had my shoes off, but it's good to have them. Just be comfortable that is a main thing.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    This weather. Wind gusts of 40mph. And 70F! It's nuts. Less than a week ago it was 12F with a windchill of -2.

We've decided we have to leave 2 days early to beat a stupid ice storm going through Missouri, so more days coming in a hotel. Hopefully Fri/Sat I can get on the treadmill - maybe even Sunday. Oh! I should bring my Enduracool towel this time! That would be so much better than those thick, rough, white hand towels they have in the fitness center. Maybe help with the cooling situation since I was so hot in there last time.

Once my husband has surgery Monday, I don't know how much time I'll spend at the hotel vs. hospital. I have a hard time leaving him there :( But if I go to the hotel for a shower and free breakfast, I might as well run, right? LOL We'll see how that goes.

@MNLittleFinn Wear some boxer briefs under your shorts ;)

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn - I concur with the others on what to wear. First time to PT, I got a description of what to wear - comfortable clothes that you could work out in, essentially. If you dress like you're going to the gym for a not particularly strenuous workout, you'll be about right. In the winter, I'd wear warmup pants over my shorts and take them off before doing any of the assigned exercises in the PT's office. Then put them back on for the drive home.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

01/01/17 - 5 miles
    01/02/17 - 5 miles
    01/03/17 - 3 miles
    01/05/17 - 6 miles
    01/07/17 - 10 miles
    01/08/17 - 3.25 miles
    01/10/17 - 6 miles
    01/11/17 - 5.5 miles

I am sick. My husband has been sick for the past 2 weeks, so it's about time I caught it, too. Whatever this bug is, it manifested as bronchitis for him, and seems to be an ears and sinus thing for me. He's been to the doctor, and they said it's probably viral, so no antibiotics - so I probably won't go to the doctor at all, either. Funny enough, I felt REALLY GOOD while I was running, even though I was miserable at work. Weird.
    @autumnblade75 When I run with a sinus-based cold, I feel loads better after too. It clears the system out!

I wasn't surprised to feel better afterwards, but it was jarring to realize how good I felt DURING my run. So, of course I did it again, today.

• AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Date.......Distance

January 1 - 12.1 km
    January 2 - 7.0 km
    January 3 - 12.9+5.3 km
    January 4 - 11.5 km
    January 5 - 7.0 km
    January 6 - 3.8 km
    January 7 - 9.45 km
    January 8 - 9.8+6.0 km