January 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Ugh! Forecast is calling for freezing rain and ice on Saturday AND Sunday. 16 miles on the schedule. Has anyone done that on a treadmill? Tips on how to cope? I generally listen to music. I have a TV in my basement, but it's offset from my treadmill and kind of hard to watch while running. I have not tried to hook my Kindle into the treadmill. I know for certain I can't read while running. I am not sure about movies on the Kindle.

I'm good for up to 18 miles on the treadmill. That's pretty much my limit running. That marathon I completed? Yeah, the last 8 miles were not what I would call running. And I pretty much stare down the timer the whole time, too. I play with the buttons at the 30 second marks - tap the speed up by 0.1, then back down, or maybe tap an incline button. I use Zombies, Run! for shorter runs, too. The TV is a little bit offset from my treadmill, too. It makes me run a little to the left when I try to watch TV. I'm pretty sure I was watching a zombie movie during my last 18 miler on the treadmill, too. There might be a theme to my running habits...

Yeah - it's in my NetFlix "Watch it Again" list - "Kill Zombie!" I have an ...unrefined taste in movies. It kept me entertained. But I'm not sure I'd go so far as to recommend it.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I have my Wisconsin weekend run picked out. I'm going to intercept the Ice Age Trail about 35 minutes west of Milwaukee and run as long as my schedule allows...hoping for 10 miles, minimum. If we go on Saturday I'll bring my headlamp and try to get my 20 mile run in. I'm excited to run some new territory. So far neither my wife nor son have figured out that the reason I want to leave so early is so I can fit in a run and still avoid an overnight stay.

@7lenny7 If the weather is good (for WI in January), you should try and catch that trail north of Milwaukee in the Holy Hill area. Maybe you can see the Goat Man of Hogsback Rd!! Lol! ;)
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Ugh! Forecast is calling for freezing rain and ice on Saturday AND Sunday. 16 miles on the schedule. Has anyone done that on a treadmill? Tips on how to cope? I generally listen to music. I have a TV in my basement, but it's offset from my treadmill and kind of hard to watch while running. I have not tried to hook my Kindle into the treadmill. I know for certain I can't read while running. I am not sure about movies on the Kindle.

If you are planning on 16 miles on a treadmill, my first thought was a .357 Magnum. In case after mile 5 it wasn't going so well.

Jokes aside, the most I ever did on a TM was I believe 6 miles (only once). What made it not so dreaded as I thought it would have been was that I made it a progression run. Started out somewhat slow and every half mile made it go .2 MPH faster.

When I first started running, I almost exclusively did the treadmill and ran with music. I had My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark (Fall Out Boy) & Thunderstruck (AC-DC) on repeat to help me get through the first set of miles.

Last week while I was on travel, I had the rare occasion of using the hotel treadmill after the "Snowmageddon 2017" hit the South. It would have been a perfect time to test out screw shoes, except that I wasn't home. I was on travel and didn't have what I needed to make screw shoes (including retired shoes). So I opted for the treadmill and made it through 5K while watching Fox news.

I am not sure if much of this is of help to you tho.
  • ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    1/1-1/3 - sick
    1/4 - 3.1 miles and yoga
    1/5 - circuit training and yoga
    1/6 - 3.5 miles
    1/7 - rest
    1/8 - yoga
    1/9 - 3.2 miles and yoga
    1/10 - 40 min stationary bike, weight machines
    1/11 - 3.2 miles

13 miles / 40 miles (32% of goal)

We'll if we get this ice tomorrow night I probably won't run on friday. Guess we'll see what happens!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I am not "planning" to do 16 miles on the treadmill, I am just worried that it may be my only option! I will do whatever I can to avoid it though. I know there are worse types of torture, but I can't really come up with many at the moment. However, I just not realized that I am off on Monday for MLK day, so I could always do it then too. Sounds like a MUCH better plan B!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I am not "planning" to do 16 miles on the treadmill, I am just worried that it may be my only option! I will do whatever I can to avoid it though. I know there are worse types of torture, but I can't really come up with many at the moment. However, I just not realized that I am off on Monday for MLK day, so I could always do it then too. Sounds like a MUCH better plan B!

That sounds MUCH better!
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options

Yes...I'd change my plan to MLK Day!!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Date :::: Miles:::: Jan MTD (goal = 70)
    01/01/17 :::: 4.3 :::: 4.3
    01/02/17 :::: 2.9 :::: 7.1
    01/03/17 :::: 3.1 :::: 10.3
    01/04/17 :::: 3.6 :::: 13.9
    01/05/17 :::: 3.3 :::: 17.2
    01/06/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 17.2
    01/07/17 :::: 6.9 :::: 24.2
    01/08/17 :::: 2.5 :::: 26.7
    01/09/17 :::: 2.8 :::: 29.5
    01/10/17 :::: 2.5 :::: 32.1
    01/11/17 :::: 2.6 :::: 34.7

Overnight we had freezing rain and high winds, so this morning everything was coated with a sheet of ice and all kinds of debris. I took Stella for a hike and the trail was just littered with branches and crunchy coated. It was beautiful how shiny everything was. It wasn't that bad to walk with my yak trax on because the icy later was thin. We went downhill in one part though that was shiny smooth and Stella was racing after the ice chunks that skittered across every time I took a step. She was wiping out all over the place and having a ball. So funny.

Anyway, the sun came out and it warmed up to be a spring like day. I took Stella for a run after work and it was okay on the streets but some sidewalks are still slushy. So many other dogs out that it was a like an obstacle course and a workout for my arms to keep Stella on track.

I think I can officially rule out the possibility of snowshoes for my 5k race this weekend.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    For those who have gone to PT before, is there anything I should know? I wasn't asked to bring anything with, but I was thinking about bring shorts to wear, and packing one of my pairs of running shoes, just in case.

Definitely shorts. They'll want to SEE your muscles and the way your body moves. Anything too loose fitting and they won't be able to make a decent assessment. (I wasn't given instructions on what to wear and it was a mistake).
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Definitely shorts. They'll want to SEE your muscles and the way your body moves. Anything too loose fitting and they won't be able to make a decent assessment. (I wasn't given instructions on what to wear and it was a mistake).
    Thanks! I'll plan to bring a pair of shorts to work and put them on before the drive to the clinic....-15F temps be damned.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    1/1 - 4 miles
    1/2 - 1.5 miles
    1/3 - 0 miles
    1/4 - 3.5 miles
    1/5 - 3 miles
    1/6 - 4 miles
    1/7 - 2 miles with Skip and Macy
    1/8 - rest day
    1/9 - 0 miles
    1/10 - 4 miles
    11/11 - 2 miles

24 of 100 miles

Did a quick sniff and run with Macy after work.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I'll be really glad when winter is over. Right now it's thunderstorming. In January, in Chicago. Temps are supposed to drop later and turn everything to ice, yippee.

Got my run done on the treadmill early, since I was off work this afternoon to get my filling adjusted. Didn't get done with enough daylight for an outdoor run, though, so treadmill it was. Was feeling pretty good so I did 10k.

Total = 32.65/100 miles
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    My calves now love me.20170111_182345_zpsqqejl3eq.jpg
  • snowyne
    snowyne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    1/10 - 3.1 mi.
    1/11 - 4.0 mi
    Jan total: 34.6/90
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options

And I won't be running on Sunday. I ran 15 minutes. Legs, lungs, nose all felt good but at 15 minutes I got extremely dizzy/lightheaded and couldn't walk in a straight line. I stopped and sat down for a bit. I walked the last 15 minutes home. I am sad, depressed and so pissed at myself/the situation.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options

And I won't be running on Sunday. I ran 15 minutes. Legs, lungs, nose all felt good but at 15 minutes I got extremely dizzy/lightheaded and couldn't walk in a straight line. I stopped and sat down for a bit. I walked the last 15 minutes home. I am sad, depressed and so pissed at myself/the situation.

I wish there was a that sucks button. Sorry to hear that. Hope you feel better soon!
  • bmelb1
    bmelb1 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    @Orphia great interview and photograph!
    @dkabambe I've been trying to decide how best to increase the frequency of my runs each week without overdoing it and I like your approach. Thank you for sharing that with the forum.
    @RespectTheKitty I totally sympathize with you. For the past 2 weeks it's been mostly snow or freezing rain here. Tonight we get a break...rain. Then tomorrow it's back to snow. I saw the sun peak out of the clouds for a couple of minutes today, I think that's the first time I've seen it this year. It was enough to cheer me up though. :)

Date Km Today - Km for Jan.
    1/3 5.73 - 5.73
    1/5 3.79 - 9.52
    1/6 5.41 - 14.93 10K running clinic
    1/8 6.08 - 21.01
    1/10 5.8 - 26.81
    1/11 5.96 - 32.77
    =========
    Goal 75 km

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    Polar Hero 5km OCR? - 2/4
    Ottawa Tamarack 10km - 5/27
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    01.01.17 - 15 m. LR
    01.02.17 - 10 m. - This weeks goal is 55 miles.
    01.03.17 - 9.1 m. TM 6 M + 5K.
    01.05.17 - 9 m. TM w/ incline.
    01.06.17 - 10 m. TM. 9:10 pace.
    01.07.17 - 8.1 m. TM 5 M + 5K.
    01.08.17 - 8.8 m. incl 2x5K's.
    01.09.17 - 11 m. TM @ 8:35 pace. - This weeks goal is 60 miles.
    01.10.17 - 8 m. TM. EZ pace jog tonight.
    01.11.17 - 11 m. TM @ 8:27 pace.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    January Running Totals (miles)
    1/1 – 10.39 warmup, 7.5 mile race, cool down
    1/2 – 2.12 easy cross country
    1/3 – 8.58 warmup, tempo intervals
    1/4 – 5.01 easy
    1/5 – 5.99 warmup, speed work, cool down
    1/6 – rest day
    1/7 – 16.59 warmup + Winter Warrior Half Marathon
    1/8 – 7.62 easy on indoor track
    1/9 – 6.51 easy
    1/10 – 6.02 warmup + MP
    1/11 – 6.20 mostly easy

January total to date – 75.03

Nominal Challenge Goal – 225 miles
    Real Goals: Train toward Boston, working 3 Freezeroo races plus Winter Warrior Half into the training plan. Avoid injury.

Today's notes – January thaw today! I could have run in sunshine at 49º F (9º C), but I opted to do administrative stuff at home during the day and go to a social run in the evening. Still in the 40s, and the Saucony rep had demo Kinvara 7s in my size to borrow!

I have to watch myself with this group, because there are people who can run faster than me. The plan was to average an 8 minute mile or so, but I know the group will speed up late in the run. I was a bit concerned when mile 2 came in at 7:31, but we slowed down more into my easy run till very late. During mile 6, I noticed I was having to put in a bit more effort. Whoa, 7 minute mile current pace! Made the executive decision to let the group drop me, and I took the short way back to base. Ended up with 6.2 miles at an average pace of 7:58, but the mile splits were more variable: 8:26, 7:31, 8:02, 8:22, 8:09, 7:21, and a 7:49 pace solo for the last 0.2 mile.

All's well that ends well. My legs are pretty happy with me after this run, and maybe I'll be able to do some speed work tomorrow evening.

2017 races:
    January 1, 2017 Freezeroo #2 (Resolution Run 7.5 mile) (Mendon, NY) Finished in 50:45
    January 7, 2017 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) Finished in 1:32:40
    January 14, 2017 Freezeroo #3 (Pineway Ponds Park 5 mile) (Spencerport, NY)
    January 28, 2017 Freezeroo #4 (Hearnish 5 mile) (Victor, NY)
    February 4, 2017 USATF Cross Country National Championship 8K (Bend, OR)
    February 11, 2017 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY)
    February 25, 2017 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 4.4 mile) (Webster, NY)
    March 11, 2017 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY)
    April 17, 2017 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)

• RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    My calves now love me.20170111_182345_zpsqqejl3eq.jpg

Dat black toenail tho