"I want to get in shape, unless it requires effort..."

Options
The other day I had the same early January conversation in our workplace gym locker room with the same person, regarding the same topic, for probably the third time in the last 5 years.

Him: “Hey, what do you do to stay in shape?”

Me: “It is mostly through my diet, I try to eat a set amount of calories and a minimal amount of protein each day”.

Him: Blank stare. “I don’t see how I can do that every day, I don’t have the time.” (As if I am just some free-spirit who is unburdened by a full time job, kids, etc.).

Me: “It doesn’t really take that long once you get used to it, you can probably do it in 15 minutes a day”

Silence.

Apparently it is too much of a bother to track calories, so this guy just goes on year after year working out consistently every week and never sees any changes. I don’t understand how he can have the discipline to regularly go to the gym and exercise but not to attempt to get his diet under control. The gym is full of them. I have a feeling we will have the same brief, awkward conversation in January 2018 or 2019, lol…

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    A secretary in my office is the same. She's asked me three or four different times what I'm doing. I've given her the exact same answer every single time. She's made minor changes for a short amount of time, then goes back to her old ways. Not sure why she keeps asking.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Same thing with "eat a little less, move a little more."

ANGTFT
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    That sounds like my husband. He runs, won't lift. Won't weigh and measure food. We don't cook much because I work two jobs but have great markets that prepare healthy food. Instead he comes home with a huge cheeseburger from their grill when I send him for Parmesan crusted tilapia and green beans almondine. Plus he eats a lot of candy corn and at least one beer a day and then complains about his beer gut.

I've gained and lost, gained and now an losing again but I'm not complaining because I quit weighing and measuring. That's on me, but he won't even give it a try, then he'd have to be accountable.
  • humpbackgirl
    humpbackgirl Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    what most people want is a quick fix. it's not quick fix at all. you need to put in the work to do it.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Rachel0778 wrote: »
    JenHuedy wrote: »
    She invited me over for dinner tonight. She said she made boneless/skinless chicken breast, brown rice and steamed broccoli "just for you!" Ummm.... OK. But I hope to hell you don't think I've eaten like that every day for the last 2 1/2 years. I prefer chicken thighs with extra crispy skin, white rice pilaf and broccoli with a little butter or cheese sauce.

*Gag* Please tell me she added spices/seasonings at least? I'm all for healthy food, but I hate it when people equate healthy food with bland food.

If there was a knob of butter on the broccoli and the chicken was baked in a soy/honey/garlic dressing this would be just fine (the brown rice could do with some variation in texture, maybe some veg thrown in?)

But yeah. I've never eaten anything that dull.