A Hurtful Comment.

Options
Hello all, I figure I'd reach out to the threads because there's bound to be someone like me out there that this has happened to...

So yesterday, I was feeling like crap, my head hurts (getting over a very aggressive cold) and earlier in the day, I was contemplating skipping the gym and just catching up on some rest. I told myself no, and I was content with the feeling of me overcoming my procrastination. Anyhow, I got to the gym, needed to change out of my work clothes, so I changed into my gym clothes and returned to my car to leave my book bag (being I don't have a lock for the lockers). On my way back, I noticed these two men walking out of the mall, laughing and joking. Now, I know that wasn't about me, but the next thing I heard was:

"...needs to lose that gut. Baby got front!"

I turned briefly around to see if there was anyone behind me or so, on the side of me--hell even in front of me. There wasn't. It was me, in my gym clothes, feeling like complete *kitten* (in spandex no less), and taking those comments with me into the gym.

Needless to stay, I stayed on that treadmill for 65 minutes, the longest duration I've stayed on up to date. Incline a steady 3.0, adjusting the treadmill for vigorous walking and even spurts of jogging.

I am mortified to say it out loud, I wanted to cry in the gym, on the treadmill.

But then I realized that one day, that comment won't apply to me...

so I kept going.

**Sorry for being a complete sap, it's just that comments like those stay with me and they haunt me. My self-esteem is below 0, and it's hurtful to think that someone could say that about a complete stranger, especially one who's trying to better themselves**

Does anyone care to vent along with me...?

Replies

• RunWildYoungBeauty
    RunWildYoungBeauty Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Gee, my curse word was replaced with *kitten*, I hope I don't get banned from MFP, hm. I apologize--was getting into my horrible experience. :s
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    How do you even know that comment was made towards you. They could've been talking about themselves.
  • RunWildYoungBeauty
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I am way too happ
    A) [post edited by mods - please ensure all posts follow community guidelines]those guys.
    B) they don't represent their majority of the people in the gym.
    C) you're an animal. Stay driven, stay focused on their goal (a healthier you) not a number. Not a look. But a healthier you. When youre happy with who you are, *kitten* everyone else's opinion.
    By the way, you slayed that *kitten* treadmill workout. Keep on keeping on.

I love the use of *kitten*, it lightens me up. Thank you kindly, sir. <3
  • RunWildYoungBeauty
    Options
    Awesome job going to the gym and working out....Comments like that fuel my fire.....I am sorry those idiots made comments to you like that ... I would of said something like at least I am bettering myself unlike you idiots who have nothing better to do than make fun of people .....Wishing you much success ....Keep your head up high and kill it in the gym :)

Thank you so much! I will keep my head up high, it'll be worth it soon enough. Thanks so much, ma'am. <3
  • RunWildYoungBeauty
    edited January 2017
    Options
    How do you even know that comment was made towards you. They could've been talking about themselves.

Haha, I had the same thought as well.
  • RunWildYoungBeauty
    Options
    Everybody hates comments like those. People make them to skinny people too. We're always sensitive when it happens to us. Just ask yourself " In a hundred years will anyone care"? If the answer is "nope", try to redimension it in your mind. It's a speed bump on your road to success.

Thank you, you're right--it won't even matter in a few months I'm hoping.
  • RunWildYoungBeauty
    Options
    cessi0909 wrote: »
    Screw them! In all honesty I'm sorry they said such hurtful things, clearly they are struggling with their own self doubts to knock someone else down.

But enough about them cause they aren't worth it- this journey is about you and your goals. Good for you getting to the gym- some days it's hard to workout, especially when you don't feel all that great.

As far as venting with you: I once had a guy point to my stomach and question my pregnancy. My child was 6 months old at the time and I was feeling good about how I looked in my outfit that day. When I said I'm not expecting he just gave a weird look to my stomach and said, "oh I thought...cause (stammering and pointing to my stomach)" then walked away. Didn't feel good. But whatever, some days I still look pregnant if I eat a big enough burrito :)

Edit: had a word missing

Awww! <3 I've had that happen to me before too, and I've never been pregnant. Thank you very kindly for sharing that with me. Does it ever still bother you?
  • RunWildYoungBeauty
    Options
    I've had something similar happen to me in the past and I ended up quitting the gym; don't be like me. I regret not sticking to it. Honestly what they say doesn't matter, you and your health are priority one. Screw them.

Thank you ellebronwyn89, I apologize that it's happened to you. Did you ever go back?
  • cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    No, not really. I've put some weight back on and I do gain in my stomach area. So recently I did have a little girl ask me how big the baby in my belly is- that didn't bother me in the least, she was maybe 4 and excited about my baby haha ah kids and their honesty.

I think what bothers me about that guy was his reaction when I told him I'm not expecting and that other people witnessed it. I was working as a hostess at the time. When my self confidence was lower it did bother me a lot more but now, even with some extra weight, I'm happy with myself and know I'm working to be the healthiest me, so just don't care as much if other people think I'm pregnant or wonder if I am.
  • marvelboy11
    marvelboy11 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    That's so horrible to read and I really do empathise. Before I leave my main comment I'd offer out the small crumb of comfort that perhaps (just perhaps), it wasnt about you, it could have been part of the joke that they were sharing. It sounds doubtful from what you said but sometimes if we are feeling low it can feel like everyone is against us? However if it was about you, lets go sort them out :)

OK to on to what I wanted to say (as a stranger lol), I read a lot of people, even celebrities saying they do things to prove haters wrong and things like that. Please dont get caught up in that kinda thing (personal view I guess). The fact they pushed you to work harder, focus on that and be PROUD of just how awesome a workout YOU had, not them. Dont let them or anyone else be a driver in your life and just keep working hard towards whatever goals you have and use the love of those around you to help.

OK, I'll stop typing now and jsut send a friend request over haha.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    Wow. How cruel people can be! I'm glad others here have comforted you already, but I too just want to send some support. These kinds of people are not worth even a half centimeter of your brain space. Keep being awesome by working towards your goals! *virtual hugs*
  • RunWildYoungBeauty
    Options
    cessi0909 wrote: »
    No, not really. I've put some weight back on and I do gain in my stomach area. So recently I did have a little girl ask me how big the baby in my belly is- that didn't bother me in the least, she was maybe 4 and excited about my baby haha ah kids and their honesty.

I think what bothers me about that guy was his reaction when I told him I'm not expecting and that other people witnessed it. I was working as a hostess at the time. When my self confidence was lower it did bother me a lot more but now, even with some extra weight, I'm happy with myself and know I'm working to be the healthiest me, so just don't care as much if other people think I'm pregnant or wonder if I am.

That's amazing that you're happy with yourself, Thanks so much :)
  • sbrandt37
    sbrandt37 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Don't let the haters get you down! You are there doing something for yourself--that's all that matters. What they said says everything about them and nothing about you. Like I tell my kids, when a cow says "Moo," it has nothing to do with you. The fact that you turned it into a killer workout, on the other hand, says a whole lot about you ... and your heart. You got this!