People just aren't getting it.

Replies

• jocember
    jocember Posts: 31 Member
    A-frickin'-men.

I've been working my *kitten* off for months to learn proper nutrition and how to exercise properly. Though I've only lost about 20 lb. altogether, I've worked for that and I know that if I had just been working *that much* harder I'd have already lost more. I watched my mom go through enough fad diets and shortcuts that failed every single time to learn nothing but one day at a time, one pound at a time and REALLY changing your habits and implementing new ones got will get you to your goals.

Who cares if this pisses people off? It needs to be said. Sometimes a rude awakening is necessary.
  • anrev42
    anrev42 Posts: 331
    very well stated! Thank you for pointing that out and reminding some people that this is a life-changing beginning and not a quick-fix lifestyle! Thanks man.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    So nice to see all you bright, shiny perfect people here.

Us lesser mortals are so grateful to have you amongst us.
  • Dizzle_65
    Dizzle_65 Posts: 249 Member
    No *kitten* Sherlock but this is a sight for people who want to lose weight and / or adopt a healthier lifestyle.

If it was so easy then there wouldn't be a need for MFP and certainly not for a forum.

I am fortunate enough that when I decided to make a lifestyle change 8 yrs ago, I wasn't compared to some people that big. 5' 10 & 185 lbs but the birth of my daughter made me realise I needed to get back in shape.

Some people need to find that trigger, they know what they need to do but either a) don't know how to go about it or b) appear to have sanctimonuous know alls belittling their efforts and thus knocking their confidence.

They're not asking for gastric bands, someone else to exercise for them or a miracle cure, they are looking for help. If the forum annoys you that much just log your food & exercise and give the discussions a wide berth.

Personally I find a lot of the threads started are fairly basic but what I love about this site is the support and friendliness everyone (or nearly everyone) displays.
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    No *kitten* Sherlock but this is a sight for people who want to lose weight and / or adopt a healthier lifestyle.

If it was so easy then there wouldn't be a need for MFP and certainly not for a forum.

I am fortunate enough that when I decided to make a lifestyle change 8 yrs ago, I wasn't compared to some people that big. 5' 10 & 185 lbs but the birth of my daughter made me realise I needed to get back in shape.

Some people need to find that trigger, they know what they need to do but either a) don't know how to go about it or b) appear to have sanctimonuous know alls belittling their efforts and thus knocking their confidence.

They're not asking for gastric bands, someone else to exercise for them or a miracle cure, they are looking for help. If the forum annoys you that much just log your food & exercise and give the discussions a wide berth.

Personally I find a lot of the threads started are fairly basic but what I love about this site is the support and friendliness everyone (or nearly everyone) displays.

As I stated about 100 times now, this thread is aimed at people that CONTINUE to make the stupid choices over and over again. Its not aimed at the people that screw up a time or two and then start working to actually get smart about their health.

Besides, if you look at the posts I reply to, people that are legitimately looking for help and advice, I try to respond to as much as I can with good advice. Its the people that ask for advice, then turn around and ignore it and complain they aren't seeing healthy results that drive me crazy.
  • weeziews
    weeziews Posts: 162 Member
    *like*
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Great post! I have lost 80 lbs through good old fashioned diet and hard work when friends ask me how I've lost it I tell them and then they don't want to hear anymore because they actually have to do something!!!
  • your so right!!
  • beccau_20
    beccau_20 Posts: 191 Member
    My husband's friend told me I could lose weight by just eating Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches. You're telling me that won't work?

:wink:
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    My husband's friend told me I could lose weight by just eating Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches. You're telling me that won't work?

Not at all. Technically, you CAN lose weight.

Theres other ways you can lose weight fast too. Drink a spoonful of draino. Starve yourself for a few weeks. Take 6 servings of laxative a day.

Doesn't make it healthy.

Yes, I realize you were just kidding, but technically... you can lose weight that way, you just can't sustain it.

;)
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Agreed!

What people need to realise is that it's about healthy diet AND exercise.

I see so many people in my office daily who are talking about their latest boot camp exercise class that's really made them ache and they can totally see the weight dropping off - all the time with a chocolate cake or a bag of crisps in their hand. One girl actually lost about a stone and a bit by paying over £1000 to go on a bootcamp residential week only to start eating chocolate and cake as soon as she got back and put it all back on again plus a bit more within a month. What a waste of £1000 for a lot of strenous work and a very short term slimmer figure.

On the flip side of that are the folk who sit on their backside at a desk all day, sit on it in the car to and from work and then sit on it on the sofa with half a bottle of wine BUT they're keeping within their daily 'sins' or 'points' for whatever diet they're on and then they bemoan that they didn't lose anything at weigh in time.

I actually heard across the office yesterday from someone who is supposedly dieting with one regime or another "Billy Bear Ham is awesome!" - Umm... No, it's really not. It's processed shaped meat and it's 60% fat and of that 60%, about another 60% is saturated. Hmmm...

The hard part about acheiving your weight loss goals is doing it. The theory is easy and doesn't require any faddy stuff or diet pills. Just look at the food/drink you're taking in and understand WHY unhealthy foods are unhealthy and make positive changes. Exercise wise, you don't HAVE to kill yourself to reach your goals (depending what your goals are of course) and you'd have to kill yourself even less if you stopped pushing cake and chocolate and nasty fatty foods in your mouth.

Well that's my tuppence worth anyways... Just ranting a bit really... I'm pretty new around here so I can't say I'm sick of seeing these things posted on MFP or anything, just generally hear this kind of thing working in an office full of sedentary women, the majority of whom are trying to lose weight through one 'lose 11 pounds in a week' scheme or another.

Anyway, good post.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member

Not at all. Technically, you CAN lose weight.

Theres other ways you can lose weight fast too. Drink a spoonful of draino. Starve yourself for a few weeks. Take 6 servings of laxative a day.

Doesn't make it healthy.

Yes, I realize you were just kidding, but technically... you can lose weight that way, you just can't sustain it.

;)

draino! wow! lmbo
  • MrsJax11
    MrsJax11 Posts: 354 Member
    From a previous poster:
    There are no shortcuts. Just change your diet and exercise.

- Eat a moderate calorie deficit.
    - Eat whole foods most of the time
    - Exercise (cardio and strength train) 3-4 times per week.

This will work for everyone with no negative side effects.

This and the OP are very true...and we need to focus on the changes we are making that are better for our health than just the vanity of the weight and sizes (something I still struggle with as I feel I work very hard at getting healthier and want quick results, too!) ...we didn't put the weight on overnight - it will take some time and effort to get it off! I would rather get to my optimum size and weight slowly and sustainably and stay that way because I have re-trained my body to crave healthier foods and exercise :)
  • Janworkingitout
    Janworkingitout Posts: 434 Member
    So true!
  • Janworkingitout
    Janworkingitout Posts: 434 Member
    Great post! I have lost 80 lbs through good old fashioned diet and hard work when friends ask me how I've lost it I tell them and then they don't want to hear anymore because they actually have to do something!!!

This happens to me to! When I tell them eating healthier and exercise their eyes glaze over and they walk away :laugh:
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Sorry but I just have to bump this. In fact I'm adding it to my sig so people can read it.

Well said bro.
  • LeahManc
    LeahManc Posts: 4
    Couldn't agree more with this post - nothing comes for free in life, if you keep doing what you've always done you'll keep getting what you've always got!
  • Why was the first post taken down? Why do all the pity posts get to stay on the board...

OMG I know, right?

Everyday there's another "I'm sooooooo depressed I caved in and ate a cookie" thread.

Maybe people are really scared that one little ol' Chips Ahoy will make them gain 50 pounds. Or maybe they thrive off of getting a million pats on the back saying "it's ok." IDK.

Or maybe because this site is supposed to be for support, not a bunch of holier than thou know it alls.

I agree with the OP, the only way is to make life long healthier choices and to exercise. But I like the last comment. At the end of the day people who need to lose weight have been making bad choices for a while and those habbits are hard to break. getting to that optimum health stage in a persons life is a journey of highs and lows and people are bound to make mistakes!

If someone posts that they ate badly or don't get why the gained weight then we should be supportive, try and advice them and pick them up so that they can feel better and stay on track.

It must get tiresome for all you guys that have cracked it...but a lot of us are still trying to get there. People are always going to try and find a quick fix but eventually they will realise that they don't work. Until then, you could try and share you wisdom in a postive way.
  • Nuts4play
    Nuts4play Posts: 92 Member
    agreed! and to all those lazy people who want to take a pill to lose weight? did they take one to get fat? probably not... so it isnt coming off that way either! don't be worried about all the time that you will have to put in to loosing weight- the time will pass any way, the only question is if you want to spend that time on your *kitten* and miserable or do you want to spend that time bettering your life and your body?? GREAT POST! :)

Love and agree whole-heartedly with this topic and this thread!
    "did they take one to get fat?" LOL! Love it!
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    People can't handle the TRUTH!!! I love the post. Some people have things removed that they can't handle THE TRUTH!!! It is rediculious that people have there eyes so closed to what they NEED TO DO! To get resutls and keep them.

AMEN!
    AWESOME!
    AGREE!!