Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fat Acceptance Movement

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    It blows my mind that there are people out there, and apparently quite a few that would defend companies like soda manufacturers...

Why do these companies need to use caramel color and high fructose corn syrup in there products?

They don't NEED to. The question is what's the harm if they do? You are presuming harm of some sort and then attacking others for not thinking the companies are "getting away" with something we don't think they are doing.

Now, I happen to agree that soda has played a role in the increase in obesity, but it's not the availability of it (i.e., what the company does) but the fact that people overconsume it. I am open to an argument that there are negative externalities that should be accounted for in some way, but that doesn't make the company deserving of blame (just as I don't blame Chateau Montelena or even the Busch or Bronfman families for the fact that many Americans abuse alcohol).
    It's people like many of those above that are the reason companies get away with things like this and why we can't have food labeling in California

What food labeling do you want and why can't you have it (just so we know what you are specifically referring to)? Are we back to GMOs?
    It blows my mind that there are people out there, and apparently quite a few that would defend companies like soda manufacturers...

Why do these companies need to use caramel color and high fructose corn syrup in there products?

Arguing that "Yeah, sure... Water is unhealthy if you consume to much"... Is just so freaking retarded that I've completely lost faith in half of humanity.

It's people like many of those above that are the reason companies get away with things like this and why we can't have food labeling in California

They use these things because their sales plummet when they don't. Remember Crystal Pepsi and New Coke? Our demand drives the corporate decisions, no matter what you may choose to believe.

All of the cane sugar sodas introduced over the past few years still sell less than half of the volume of their standard counterparts.

Lame argument... Their sales are plummeting now because they use these ingredients.

So what are you worrying about?
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    When I was overweight the number 1 thing I hates about being over weight was being in public with my young kids I felt like every time someone saw me with them they would be thinking "wow she must be a crappy mother" because a lot of people associate "Fat" with laziness. So when I see a mother that is over weight with her 2 young kids my heart aches for her and it makes me wish i could walk up to her hug her and say you can do it I did. I would prob get punched but my point is its no ones business but I did notice a huge difference with the energy i have with my children and i am a better mother even though i was never a BAD one. I am also super super strong belief that every individual should strive to be better. So I am on the encourage health not acceptance of obesity not because i think its gross or i dont find men or woman who are obese attractive but because I know the pain they feel.

First...This might sound a little flippant but it is not intended to be...I don't know the answer to my question. So...

How do you know that everyone that is obese is "feeling pain"? You are simply basing that on how you felt.

I think that many obese people are living happy and productive lives. That doesn't mean that they are satisfied being obese and don't want to lose weight. I think that they have learned to love themselves just as they are. For me personally that is what I had to learn to do...love myself despite my flaws. This "love" of myself is what led to me wanting to lose the weight so that I could have the life that I aspired to have...experiencing life and being able to do the things that I wanted to do.

I am not saying that there aren't some obese people that are "feeling the pain" I just don't believe that every obese person is miserable and in pain...hiding away from the world.

Fat Acceptance, in my feeble brain, is learning to accept ourselves...other people learning not to place worth on someones size and realizing that all of us are worthy of respect.

You might be right...I don't know...I don't remember "feeling the pain" as you describe it. I do remember being much heavier than I am now and the inconveniences of the extra weight.
  • eque_price
    eque_price Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I think people should love there body and not care what people say about them at any size. Upon saying that fat shaming and so on is completely unacceptable. I don't think people should condone being over weight though. It does affect your health and leads to diabetes, cancer, heart issues... Who wants to encourage those kind of nightmares? Not to mention think of the healthcare workers who are risking their own physical healthy trying to lift you and carry you and treat you. It's hard on you and it is hard on them.

Basically be happy with your body no matter what. But be aware that obesity is hard on your body and to be able to live to your fullest you need to be a healthy weight with a healthy diet and exercise.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Arguing that "Yeah, sure... Water is unhealthy if you consume to much"... Is just so freaking retarded that I've completely lost faith in half of humanity.

They use these things because their sales plummet when they don't. Remember Crystal Pepsi and New Coke? Our demand drives the corporate decisions, no matter what you may choose to believe.

All of the cane sugar sodas introduced over the past few years still sell less than half of the volume of their standard counterparts.

Lame argument... Their sales are plummeting now because they use these ingredients.

I wanted to run through a wall when I saw the last Coke Zero commercial.

"Coke Zero... There's nothing in it! ".

Really... Nothing in it? As pure as water hu...

Yeah, because consumers are so smart, if they don't want to buy something it surely is because of valid, well researched reasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi3erdgVVTw
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    When I was overweight the number 1 thing I hates about being over weight was being in public with my young kids I felt like every time someone saw me with them they would be thinking "wow she must be a crappy mother" because a lot of people associate "Fat" with laziness. So when I see a mother that is over weight with her 2 young kids my heart aches for her and it makes me wish i could walk up to her hug her and say you can do it I did. I would prob get punched but my point is its no ones business but I did notice a huge difference with the energy i have with my children and i am a better mother even though i was never a BAD one. I am also super super strong belief that every individual should strive to be better. So I am on the encourage health not acceptance of obesity not because i think its gross or i dont find men or woman who are obese attractive but because I know the pain they feel.

First...This might sound a little flippant but it is not intended to be...I don't know the answer to my question. So...

How do you know that everyone that is obese is "feeling pain"? You are simply basing that on how you felt.

I think that many obese people are living happy and productive lives. That doesn't mean that they are satisfied being obese and don't want to lose weight. I think that they have learned to love themselves just as they are. For me personally that is what I had to learn to do...love myself despite my flaws. This "love" of myself is what led to me wanting to lose the weight so that I could have the life that I aspired to have...experiencing life and being able to do the things that I wanted to do.

I am not saying that there aren't some obese people that are "feeling the pain" I just don't believe that every obese person is miserable and in pain...hiding away from the world.

Fat Acceptance, in my feeble brain, is learning to accept ourselves...other people learning not to place worth on someones size and realizing that all of us are worthy of respect.

You might be right...I don't know...I don't remember "feeling the pain" as you describe it. I do remember being much heavier than I am now and the inconveniences of the extra weight.

Nice post.

When I was fat I wanted to lose weight and eventually I got to a place where I did.

Was I "in pain" because I was fat? Not really, and I don't think that would have been helpful if I were. I have struggled with depression and some other things that I'd call being "in pain," definitely, but not more so when I was fat than when I was thin. In fact, once upon a time I blamed not being happy with my looks/body/whatever for my then unhappiness (I wasn't actually fat even when this started), and what I later realized was that like most things we think "I'd only be happy if X" about, it wasn't true. I am the same basic person with the same basic level of happiness whether fat or thin, so it's better for me to figure out how to be happy without making it about my weight.

This realization in no way made me want to stay fat or become fat again -- quite the opposite.
  • ari234728
    ari234728 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think it comes down to figuring out why so many people feel the need to pull aside an overweight or obese person and try to explain their health to them. It's no one else's place to tell someone they are lesser, even if it is from a place of concern. I don't think it is concern. On top of that, there are studies showing that bullying and hurting people does not motivate them to do better. Typically, it just feeds into the self loathing cycle.

Learning to love your body is important. Loving it enough to take care of it is important. Quite frankly, anyone not in that body or not intimately aware of it (i.e. That persons doctor) has no right to provide unsolicited advice or criticism. We also need to examine exactly why we are so hateful towards the obese. They may be less healthy than you? Why should that be cause for scorn or derision. Plenty of people may be less healthy. You might not know it because it isn't as visible or they are still meeting your general beauty and 'health' standards.

All of that judgement for other people is grossly unnecessary and has no place. So, we do need to teach people to love themselves, just like we need to teach about nutrition and exercise, and teach people about these biases we hold against others with no cause. Having no knowledge of all of these things is damaging and they all need to be addressed. Not one over the other because we are more comfortable telling the overweight they are less than.
  • yogagirlT
    yogagirlT Posts: 91 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Okay I am weighing in from both a fitness instructor and public health background/perspective *worked for The American Cancer Society*. Let me preface that fat shaming and bullying a person over their looks and physical appearance is wrong and cruel. I have been up and down with weight my entire life and have faced criticism from family and an ex BF about weight and my physical appearance.

However, there are proven studies and stats that show that incidence of heart disease (especially in women), stroke/high BP, Type 2 diabetes, etc that are correlated to lifestyle and health and obesity is a huge issue in the U.S. I am beyond empathetic to those who struggle with weight loss and have good friends who are 100 lbs plus overweight. These friends also suffer from depression and high anxiety, low self-esteem, etc. and the mental and emotional struggle is all too real.

I applaud anyone who takes even the smallest baby steps to making permanent health changes. My biggest motivation, and made a deal with my nurse practitioner, was my high blood pressure and my family history of stroke and heart disease and type 2 diabetes. I chose to take steps to lose weight and change my lifestyle and improve my eating/food habits because I do not want to take medication for hypertension and I was able to do it. I just want to be healthy and be around for friends and family.

I have a great support system and I think that is the biggest problem. With tech and sedentary lifestyles, it is far easier to sit on phones and computers and play games. We live in an instant gratification and super-sized society which contributes to health issues and poor nutrition habits.

I work with an amazing health coach and she has helped so many people who have struggled with weight and health issues, including me, their entire life. Weight loss and making permanent lifestyle changes are not easy as I and sure most people will agree. It is all about the baby steps.

The sad part is most people wait until it is too late when they have serious health complications to make those changes or given an ultimatum by their doctors. I had a dear friend I worked with in her early 60s who passed away from heart disease last month. :(

And looking at a person's outward appearance does not give the full picture. I had some fuller figured students in my classes who were in great shape and led very healthy lifestyles.

Personally, this is what motivates me to continue my yoga practice and be a Zumba dance teacher. I want to help people feel good and energized --both inside and out. I have turned a lot of friends and family onto yoga and dance fitness. I have been active and danced my entire life but I know exercise and movement are a real struggle for busy people but it can be done.

I wish people would be more mindful, ditch the fast food, and make themselves and their families a priority, and to really care for themselves beyond just the physical (stress mgt, meditation, etc.)

I live by the rule do unto others as you would do unto yourself and let us help and not hurt each other!
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    yogagirlT wrote: »
    I wish people would be more mindful, ditch the fast food, and make themselves and their families a priority, and to really care for themselves beyond just the physical (stress mgt, meditation, etc.)

I live by the rule do unto others as you would do unto yourself and let us help and not hurt each other!

We also wish people wouldn't get addicted to smoking, drinking, drugs, gambling, etc... and make themselves and their families a priority instead.

There is already a high level of self-shame in most all of those addictions - including those who have eaten themselves into obesity.

You are correct that anyone who ends up in such unhealthy predicaments, can benefit from encouragement for even the smallest steps to change their lifestyle. I doubt we can, as a species, rid the world of shaming, and negative thoughts towards other groups (that we may not be members) as the human psyche has not evolved much, if at all, in the past 40,000 years.

Plenty of complexity to the issues of discrimination, addiction, shaming, bullying, acceptance/non-acceptance, what it means for health care costs, who should bear the load of costs for those that may be outside the range of healthy, the dilemma of how much room/size of space/cost of public and private transportation, and on and on.

Based on our species and studies of the average mean weight of humans over the centuries, it is hard to accept a sudden evolution that being way above what has been historical norm for the mean should be universally adopted and accepted.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-4134762/Woman-fell-scooter-Walmart-shames-online-trolls.html

This fat shaming case tells of the pain the person can feel.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-4134762/Woman-fell-scooter-Walmart-shames-online-trolls.html

This fat shaming case tells of the pain the person can feel.

Something tells me that a spinal condition isn't the only reason her legs feel weak when she stands up.

See? There we go again. Stop trying to make me feel bad for these people, because it just ends up making me angry and spiteful. Man, I had gone for over a month without saying "landwhale" too. Way to go Gale. Bah.
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I think it's cultural. And I am torn on this subject because it's at the root of a national (US) epidemic. Obesity and the tendency towards obesity is certainly a disease, but one that must be fought with will power. Otherwise we are resigning to a defeat that is so evidently avoidable. I believe Americans are over-medicated and under-educated. We look for solutions to diseases of the personality outside of our own abilities to react and respond. Depression, axiety, obesity and melancholy are all diseases that must be overcome and never coddled. I know I'll get a lot of flack for saying that but I feel so strongly about the persistence of the human spirit. You can, and will overcome if you decide (really....decide) to do so.