January 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @RunsOnEspresso Have you tried Spot Hero or a similar app? It allows you to purchase parking fare and guarantees you a spot in a lot ahead of time. In 2014, we took the train into Chicago for the Chicago Marathon. as advised. After the long walk back to the train station and almost passing out on the train back due to standing room only, we tried out Spot Hero the next year and it worked great! Have used it since then.

Oh, all the paid lots were completely empty. They literally blocked them off so no one could park in them. You couldn't get to other lots because all the streets were closed due to the run.

I had planned to park in my work garage because I should have had access to it according to what streets they said would be closed but they had more streets closed than they said online or in the emails. It was just a really weird situation.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    2.25 this morning. Still not 100% yet

4.18/I don't have a new goal for January (maybe 25? 40?)
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @orphia great job on another personal best! You rock!

@lporter229 great long run today. I had similar happen with elevation this week with my hill repeat workout. The totals didn't make sense in either Garmin or Strava. I don't know why. As to your question, I obviously have no experience in marathons but it does sound like jitters are making you question everything. I hope you find what works for you!

Date :::: Miles:::: Jan MTD (goal = 70)
    01/01/17 :::: 4.3 :::: 4.3
    01/02/17 :::: 2.9 :::: 7.1
    01/03/17 :::: 3.1 :::: 10.3
    01/04/17 :::: 3.6 :::: 13.9
    01/05/17 :::: 3.3 :::: 17.2
    01/06/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 17.2
    01/07/17 :::: 6.9 :::: 24.2
    01/08/17 :::: 2.5 :::: 26.7
    01/09/17 :::: 2.8 :::: 29.5
    01/10/17 :::: 2.5 :::: 32.1
    01/11/17 :::: 2.6 :::: 34.7
    01/12/17 :::: 3.5 :::: 38.2
    01/13/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 38.2
    01/14/17 :::: 3.4 :::: 41.6

OK, so I was signed up for a Snowshoe 5k today. There is barely a dusting of snow on the ground, so it became a trail run. I decided to go ahead and do it, thinking it might be fun and I haven't done a trail run before. OMG - it was kind of a disaster. Cold, icy, very hilly route through apple orchards - there were ice patches and even where there wasn't, the footing was uneven and precarious. And did I mention the hills? I kept downgrading my goals from run the whole thing, to okay I need to walk this hill is never ending, to I hope I finish this thing.

The last thought because I got lost! A few of us apparently missed a turn on the course and ended up heading in a wrong direction. They had said at the beginning there were a couple of stream crossings and they had built bridges but you still might have a bit of standing water to negotiate. Well, we came to a full on stream with no bridge (which of course was our clue we were off course). I'm grateful that I managed to step on rocks and get through with minimally wet feet (I was wearing gore tex trail shoes so that helped keep me from wet toes). We ended up at the road and could see the building where the start/finish was so just had to go back that way (uphill of course). I was mad that I was short of a 5k so I got back on the course and did the last loop - which actually put me at about 5.5k. So the time was terrible but I "finished", and didn't break an ankle in the process, so let's call it a win. I complained (nicely) to the race people about the lack of course marshal/markings (now looking back I'm pretty sure I know where we went wrong and I heard other people saying they had to back track as well so it was clearly confusing). It wasn't a chip timed event or anything so not a big deal, but still.

That's the last time I'll sign up for a snowshoe 5k ahead of time before I know whether there will be snow :) On top of my hill workout earlier in the week my legs are feeling a little shredded now. Time for a hot bath.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic Sorry to hear about the lack of markings in your trail run. One thing I'll say about trail running is that you can't really have a goal pace in mind unless you run that route frequently. You just kind of have to run by feel and fo the best you can. The hills and navigating the terrain will greatly slow your times. As an example, I did a 15K trail race last year, and I won Female Masters, came in 2nd overall for females with a pace of 10:02. In my last Half Marathon (road race) I finished with a pace of 8:07. That trail race was fun, but was by far the toughest race I've done. If I can get my knee better, my goal is to do more trail racing after my marathon. If you get more practice at it (and without ice), trail running is pretty fun.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Congratulations @9voice9 ! Great progress!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @AdrianChr92 -Yeah, I guess defining speedwork would help. In fact, thinking about it actually provided me some clarity. Your post was quite helpful. I know it flies in the face of conventional wisdom, but in this particular case, my MP is my easy training pace: 8:45-9:00. In the past, I was training for 8:25-8:30 marathon pace and I was doing my tempo runs at HM pace of around 7:30. Recently, I have been doing tempo runs around 8-8:15. When I put this all down in writing, I guess what I am doing does make sense. It just doesn't feel right because it goes against how I am used to training. I have, however, been following a training plan that probably has too many short, fast intervals. I like your advice of doing longer intervals at a slower pace. Thanks for the input.

@MNLittleFinn and @katharmonic - You both are right. Just stupid jitters. I need to relax!

@katharmonic - That trail run sounds like a bit of a nightmare, but at least you finished and it's an experience you will remember! Character builder! And, TBH, I am thinking that a snowshoe 5K sounds equally dreadful! But that is coming from someone who has never snowshoed, so...
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Regarding elevation gain on Strava, I found this link, which explains a lot:

https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/216917087-Elevation-Gain

It makes sense, because the elevation difference from the flat to the very top of the hill where I did my warm up and cool down is 54 ft, which accounts for the 108 feet Strava calculated. I guess the 30 ft difference on each of my repeats was below the threshold, so they did not get factored into the total.
  • lissadecker
    lissadecker Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    January goal: 100 miles
    1/1: 3.6 miles (m)
    1/2: Downpour Day
    1/3: 4.5 miles (m)
    1/4: 4 miles (m)
    1/5: 5 miles (m)
    1/6: 4.5 miles (m)
    1/7: 4 miles (m)
    1/8: 6 miles (m)
    1/9: Rest Day
    1/10: 4.15 miles (m)
    1/11: Unplanned Rest
    1/12: 3.75 miles (m)
    1/13: 4.5 miles (m)
    1/14: 4.5 miles (m)

My Total/January: 48.5 miles
    Mike's Total: 48.5 miles

Have a fabulous rest of the day!

exercise.png
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    @9voice9 Great job on the Half Marathon PR!! That's awesome!!

@skippygirlsmom Great pics! Yall are so cute!! Jealous of your 70s!! We had that mid week, but it was in the 30s with a bit of fog during my run today. On a good note, it kept the walkers off the trails...mostly just other runners (also probably preparing for the local marathon in 6 weeks) out today.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

01/01/17 - 5 miles
    01/02/17 - 5 miles
    01/03/17 - 3 miles

01/05/17 - 6 miles

01/07/17 - 10 miles
    01/08/17 - 3.25 miles

01/10/17 - 6 miles
    01/11/17 - 5.5 miles
    01/12/17 - 3.25 miles
    01/13/17 - 6.5 miles
    01/14/17 - 5 miles

• ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - such adorable pictures!!! It's crazy what the temperatures can do in the south.

Bike riding today after being off the bike since 12/24. Felt great. But we did a slower group than we have been with less mileage because tomorrow we are doing a longer hilly ride. Not sure how I am expecting to be ready for my HM in a few weeks.

1/1 - rest day (recovering from stomach virus)
    1/2 - 40 mile bike ride
    1/3 - 4 miles
    1/4 - 4.1 miles
    1/5 - rest day
    1/6 - 5 miles
    1/7 - 4 miles
    1/8 - 5 miles
    1/9 - 4 miles
    1/10 - 4.1
    1/11 - rest day
    1/12 - 4.1
    1/13 - 4.0
    1/14 - 34 miles biking

Upcoming races
    2/5/17 - Daytona Beach HM
    2/26/17 - Disney Princess HM Orlando

exercise.png
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I am struggling with a bit of a dilemma in my training. Because I am looking to have a slower, more comfortable marathon in April, I decided to lay back off my speedwork a bit to keep my legs fresher and avoid risking injury. The thing is, I am used to really pushing hard on my hard runs and taking it easy on the easy. Mentally, I think that has always done me good because I know that I have toughed it out and it has always given me a good feeling of preparedness. Taking it easy on myself is messing with my head a bit. It has me feeling underprepared and second guessing everything. Furthermore, at group run today, two guys were talking about speedwork and how it is so critical in marathon training. They were both crediting good speed sessions for their ability to maintain fresh legs in the late stages of the marathon. Another thing to keep me second guessing things here. I want a comfortable race, but I would still like to finish sub 4 hours. Am I asking to have my cake and eat it too? Do I stick with plan A and just let things be? I really don't want a DNF, but I also don't want a DNS...although I am not sure which would be worse, honestly. Just venting, I guess. If anyone has any words of advice from experience, please feel free to offer!

For all that I'm training for my second Boston, I'm a relative newbie to the world of marathons. While I'm not sure how much physical benefit I get from speed work, I see huge psychological benefits. Anyway, here's how my coach explains it:

We train repeats, R pace [~1 mile race pace], early in the training cycle. Do enough repeats at R, and you get tired. To maintain the pace, you are forced into good form and good running economy. The aspiration is that the good form developed by the R work carries through for the rest of the training cycle.

We do a lot at I pace [~5K race pace, faster than lactic threshold] in mid-cycle. The physiological goal is to increase lactic threshold.

We do a lot at T pace [lactic threshold] later in the training cycle to build endurance.

There isn't a lot of physiological benefit to training at MP. We train at MP to become accustomed to the pace, so it's easier to maintain on race day.

That's the Party Line on physiological benefits of why the plan I am following is structured the way it is. I'm not sure I can identify the desired benefits in myself, and I'm sure I can't break them down to which pace gives me what benefits. (I did notice that last year, my easy pace got about 15 seconds per mile faster during the training cycle. It's come back almost to that level early in the cycle this year.)

Psychological benefits that I've noticed: Interval work of all types prepares me mentally for running fast again after I've been physically compelled to slow down for recovery. It prepared me to run again after I was forced to take walking breaks after 23.5 miles of Boston.

Long tempo intervals prepare me to run faster, run slower, and run faster again. The classic tough long interval workout in my plan is 3 miles easy, 2 x (4 miles at MP, 1 mile at T), 2 miles easy. Running mile 7 at T isn't too bad; but running mile 8 at MP again after being worn down by the first 4 miles of MP and mile of T is hard. Then running mile 13 at T is very challenging. Finally, it's a mental challenge to keep running, even easy after the first 13 miles of this. Does it help physically? *shrug* I don't know. But it sure promotes mental toughness and the ability to keep going late in the marathon when I'm tired.

The other workout that really helped me mentally was 2 miles easy, 13 miles MP, 2 miles easy. That was a confidence builder showing that I could maintain MP for an extended run.

None of this has anything to do with fresh legs. Running a lot of easy and less at challenging paces helps with fresh legs, as do well placed rest days.

Bottom line is, you have to find what works for *you*. If you have to pick between the optimal plan for physical benefit and a sub-optimal physical plan with huge mental benefits, I'd go with the mental benefits. But I can't tell you what the precise plan is, because what helps you mentally might be different than what helps me.

Oh, and my two cents . . . DNF is psychologically much, much harder to take than DNS. I've done both. Even though I think intellectually that DNF at least got to the start line, and thus ranks ahead of DNS, it's still harder to cope with DNF than DNS.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Quick check in, will catch up on Monday. Short long run today and a few new race dates in the diary courtesy of my club.

January Running Challenge

1st - 12.66 miles inc 5km PB 25:05
    3rd - 3.11 miles
    4th - 6.17 miles
    6th - 3.03 miles
    7th - 3.11 miles
    8th - 12.04 miles
    10th - 3.09 miles
    12th - 4.35 miles
    14th - 9.12 miles

MTD - 56.68/100 miles

Upcoming races:
    5th February - KFL XC Blean Woods
    19th February - Bramley 20
    12th March - North London Half Marathon
    9th April - Brighton Marathon
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for January
    1/1 REST DAY
    1/2 9 miles - 9
    1/3 10 miles - 19
    1/4 5 miles - 24
    1/5 10 miles - 34
    1/6 3.1 - 37.1 <<< Treadmill
    1/7 15 miles - 52.1
    1/8 REST DAY
    1/9 9.5 miles - 61.6
    1/10 10 miles - 71.6
    1/11 5 miles - 76.6
    1/12 10.15 miles - 86.75
    1/13 5.25 miles - 92
    1/14 16 miles - 108

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25 << 1:20:22 1 in AG & 15 OA
    Huntsville Half Marathon - 11/12 << 1:35:55 2 in AG & 25 OA
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10 << 2:44:41
    Elkmont Hound Dog Half - 1/21
    Kentucky Derby Marathon - 4/29

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @Orphia Good luck with your 3 hour run some day.
    And congrats on your PB.

@MNLittleFinn Second marathon? :open_mouth:

Glad to have helped @bmelb1

@girlinahat Took me a second that you meant the bounding. LOL Have fun with it. :smile:
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 I kind of convinced my mom to do thr ely marathon with me. It's 3 and a half months after my first and it's got a 18min/mile time limit so we can walk it. She is trying really hard to get into/stay in shape. She turns 60 in March and has MS she's been fully supporting my running, so if I can pace her to a marathon finish, I don't care how crazy it is....and I know own it's pretty crazy, going from not being a runner to having run 2 marathons and 2 HMS in under 2 years.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    @melaniefay82 You are the definition of a dedicated ("crazy") runner - can't say I ever went for a run and puked then to say I feel better, You win the Toughest Runner award for January. @MobyCarp I agree that we are stupid with our own goals/training plans but able to offer unbiased constructive advice to other people. I am from such a small community that we don't have a coach available so we rely on each other - especially the experienced Marathoners( all 3 of them). Although it does stoke the ego when a new runner starts asking me for advice because they think I am accomplished/intelligent.
    @Stoshew71 Thanks for the blog post! It resonated with me since I am in the training cycle for 3 HM's ( 2 winter - 1 early spring ) Last year I took a Higdon plan and modified it based on what my weekly Km's were already at. Modified my previous plan by combining - melding plans together. Need to add some Tempo runs and Speed work into the plan. @JessicaMcB GP Chilly Willy 5, 10 & HM on Feb 5 if you want an early season - fun event. @katharmonic I agree with @BeeerRunner that you can't have a goal pace in mind for trail events unless you run that route frequently. Run by feel and have fun. My last 10K event of 2016 I was a good 15 minutes off my normal Avg pace due to navigating and the technical skills required for the terrain challenges. @9voice9 my 3 HM's last year were all around the 2:12 mark so nothing wrong with 2:13. Like you I want to break the 2:00 barrier. @skippygirlsmom great photo. That would be considered to be a Hot Summer day here.

10.5 km struggle today. Started with a 1.5 km downhill into the River Valley ( Trail was covered in broken wind blown-drifted snow-very unstable footing ) and then at the bottom had a 10m wide skating rink-ice patch where all the downhill melt water flow collects ). 8 km of rolling trail alongside the road so we would get splashed by Road Slush every time a vehicle would go by. 2 km uphill back to the finish. The whole body just felt tired/out of sync. Yet at the end came in at a 6:02/km so better than I thought. The mind does crazy things.

01/04 8.0 km –8.0km –132.0 km – YTD 8 km
    01/06 7.0 km –15.0km –125.0 km
    01/07 8.0 km –23.0km –117.0 km
    01/08 6.0 km –29.0km –111.0 km
    01/13 12.0 km –41.0km –99.0 km
    01/14 10.5 km –51.5km –88.5 km – YTD 51.5 km just over 1/3 of monthly goal.

exercise.png
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    No running for me yesterday or today - probably not tomorrow either; I've got a cold :-(
    I went for a 30min walk last night and 45min today, and did a little cycling yesterday and a bit of easy strength training, but as long as walking up the stairs to my apartment makes me feel dizzy and out of breath, I'll stay away from running. I figure I could make it for half an hour if I was really determined, but there's no way I'll run the 25km my training plan lists for this weekend. I'll try to be sensible and take three non-running days, hoping that way I'll get rid of the cold faster.

@katharmonic Wow, that 5k sounds like a lot of exitement! I've signed up to do a snow trail run next week, I'm hoping there will actually be snow. Since it's in the mountains and we already got lots of snow at a lower altitude, I'm hoping it won't involve icy patches and streams without bridges.

@9voice9 Congratulations on your new PR. That's a huge improvement in a year, great race!