A calorie is a calorie ...

Replies

• earthnut
    earthnut Posts: 216 Member
    nokanjaijo wrote: »
    Why is this person spending almost half their daily calories on a chick pea curry and a pear?

That's what confuses me.

I can't speak for them, but I frequently only eat two meals a day. Multiple small meals and snacks drives me insane. So half my calories on a curry looks perfectly normal to me.

See, having half the day's calories in half the day's meals does make sense. That isn't what's happening here.

You can speak for them because the whole day's menu is in the article.

They have three meals and three snacks. Presumably this is over the course of the day. Doesn't seem like something you'd find people doing that often.

I find eating like that much simpler, but I can see why many people would. I like it cos I'm never hungry and fits my day

You find eating like what simpler?

Several meals, someone said they don't like having 3 meals and snacks and
    Why is this person spending almost half their daily calories on a chick pea curry and a pear?

That's what confuses me.

I can't speak for them, but I frequently only eat two meals a day. Multiple small meals and snacks drives me insane. So half my calories on a curry looks perfectly normal to me.

See, having half the day's calories in half the day's meals does make sense. That isn't what's happening here.

You can speak for them because the whole day's menu is in the article.

They have three meals and three snacks. Presumably this is over the course of the day. Doesn't seem like something you'd find people doing that often.

3 meals and 3 snacks is way simpler for me, eating like that. I said that cos I do that all the time. But I guess most people don't.

Okay, I think a great many people do that. I bet it's very common.

What i don't think many people do is have 6 meals, eat almost half the day's calories in one meal then spread the other half over the remaining 5 meals. That's what I'm calling odd. It would be pretty uncommon, I think.

It seems to me like the author of this article was having a difficult time getting the two menus to come to the same calorie count and look like roughly the same amount of food. So they had to cram a bunch of calories into the dinner meal to force it.

I do that a lot. I don't have much control over my dinner. Could be lots of veggies or it could be fast food. So i skimp on breakfast and lunch, so that I'll have plenty of calories for dinner. Dinner is frequently half my calories so i don't go under my goal, and i don't go to bed hungry.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    lizery wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »

Weight loss is an energy balance equation. All calories are equal for weight loss. No one here has ever said all foods are the same for health.

Again, I have to assume you didn't read the whole thread, or any of the stickies in each of the forums.

If you read the whole thread, as well as the original post you might notice that it was not talking about weight loss.

It was showing an (just one) example of the vast nutritional bang for your buck that you could get during two days with the same caloric intake.

The illustrated analysis of the meals highlighted that while the caloric (energy) value was the same on each day one did not provide anywhere near the nutritional value and therefor was inferior in regards to health.

I can only assume you didn't read the original post.

But do people ever say that all foods are the same from a nutritional standpoint? Of course not, that would be silly. So I'm still not sure the point of all of this. Is it that there are lots of different ways of eating and some ways provide more macro and micronutrients than others? Ok. Agreed. Where did you get the idea that anyone would say otherwise?

People frequently (even within this thread) write things like I can just eat soft drink, lollies, 'junk' food and still lost weigh, calorie deficit is all that matters ...

Many places on the forums people write - and I'm paraphrasing - you can eat whatever you want. CICO is all that matters, etc etc.

Now you might be able to read an implied meaning into that and mentally add, but you need to eat a balanced diet to be healthy but not every person using this app and the forums does that, or understands that.

All calories are equal. SURE. For weight loss, to a point ... but health is not just weight loss. As you are saying yourself, nutrition etc matters when your looking a HEALTH.

Which is what the linked original article is about.

Why are you so intent on arguing a point that you basically agree on?

Are you saying, don't post that because everyone (you) already knows that so why even talk about it?

Or arguing semantics just for arguments sake?

If you don't like the article, or don't like my opinion. Great. That's okay. I can live with that.

Doesn't mean it is wrong to share or that my point about not all calorie sources being equal in VALUE (not energy measurement if you can separate the concepts).

We're on page bloody 6 of arguing the same point with different perspectives on a linguistical term.

If you don't see the point - seriously - why are you posting (basically repeated opinion) on this thread across three days?

These questions are rhetorical mind you.

I was going to write: this has become ridiculous, I give up.

I think it's more appropriate to write, I move on.

• kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I will take both for 4000 Cal Alex.... but I'll have to add some extra walkies to compensate!

Aha, the game's afoot.
  • mactaffy428
    mactaffy428 Posts: 61 Member
    After page 1, the only thing I can think of is the movie " Stripes".

"Lighten up, Frances".
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Just do me a favor and research how blood sugar and insulin affect weight gain/loss. Then tell me I'm wrong. In strictly terms of a measurement of energy, yes calories are just a unit of measurement. But that's not what was implied. We are talking about calories compared with calories in different foods. And even with exercise. You can't just create a calorie deficit and lose weight. It's just not that simple.

I've lost around 50lbs and have been in successful maintenance for several years now and yep, it really is that simple :)

Are you claiming that you can eat bread, sugar, and carbs and as long as you are still under your calorie goal then the weight will drop off?

I honestly don't know if you're just having fun with us, but of course you can lose weight eating these kinds of foods. Weight loss happens when a calorie deficit is created. But, within that scientific truth it doesn't matter what kinds of foods your eating to make up your calorie intake.

I lost 50lbs and improved all my health markers, including normalizing a high glucose number, and I ate bread, sugar, carbs, fast food, 'processed' diet foods etc during my weight loss phase. I created a deficit and I lost the weight. Now I'm several years into successful maintenance and I continue to eat those things on a regular basis but I've expanded my diet a bit and now eat a wide variety of foods including veggies, whole grain and lean meats as well. I have a bmi of around 21, am in excellent health with no medical conditions anymore and I haven't cut out any of the foods I like.

Also-my before/after pictures are in my profile area, feel free to check them out :)

Here's a couple articles you might enjoy reading-one is about a guy who ate a Twinkie diet and lost weight and improved all his health markers and then another guy who only ate McDonalds for several months and also lost weight and improved his health markers. What they both had in common was they created the correct calorie deficit for their weight goals and lost weight-

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/

http://www.today.com/health/man-loses-56-pounds-after-eating-only-mcdonalds-six-months-2D79329158

QFT.