55-65 year old women's success?

Options

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I started mfp in 2014 and lost 30 pounds and then in June of last year I lost my job and gained 10 pounds back I'm 59 5'3 and 166 my problem is sugar anyone have any suggestions My Matainance calories are 1600

@sdpatterson1234 I to had a sugar problem in 2014. It was hard for the first few weeks but I finally had to stop eating foods containing especially added sugar to stop the cravings for high carb foods processed with added sugar. Blood lab results are much improved now. A1C was just checked for the first time and came in at 5.1 and triglycerides are under 50 for the first time in like ever. Cutting out the sugar cut out much of my long term joint pain.

That is not a suggestion but just the way that has worked for over 2 years in my case. You have made great progress and best of continued success.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,436 Member
    Options
    I started mfp in 2014 and lost 30 pounds and then in June of last year I lost my job and gained 10 pounds back I'm 59 5'3 and 166 my problem is sugar anyone have any suggestions My Matainance calories are 1600

For me, cravings for high-calorie sugar-y foods were reduced when I made it a point to eat at least 3 servings of whole fruit daily. After a while (maybe a month or so?), things with lots of added sugar began tasting too sweet, unpleasantly sweet, and weren't appealing. Eventually, I could eat a bit less fruit, if I chose, but keep that effect.

This doesn't work for everyone, but I've "talked" to others here on MFP for whom it also did.
  • Tanga1950
    Tanga1950 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hullo, I am. 66 year old woman and have recently joined. I have had a life long struggle with weight and I really, really want to be successful this time. I have about 40 lbs to lose. So encouraging to read the posts here. Looking to join this group to help me on my journey.
  • sakura56
    sakura56 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Posting for the first time today ... 60, about to take early retirement and want to lose about 80 pounds to make sure I enjoy myself. All help and support gratefully received!
  • Tanga1950
    Tanga1950 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sakura, good luck to you. I too have recently retired and have finally admitted to myself that this extra weight I am carrying around is stopping me from doing the things I want. Time to take action! Ideally, I need to lose more than 40 lbs, but I am setting small goals of 5 lbs or so. That way the whole process is not too daunting.
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    sdpatterson, agree w/GaleHawkins on the sugar. I try to eat very little w/added sugar (there are a few exceptions). I cut back on sugar (natural & added) back in 2015; lost 11 lbs (I was aiming for seven or eight). Cut back on the overly processed foods and that helped cut back on it. Good luck on your journey.

Saakura, Welcome to our group!!

B)
  • sdpatterson1234
    sdpatterson1234 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Griffinca2 Thanks for the information I really appreciate it I'm always open to any suggestions.
  • MissMaggieMuffin
    MissMaggieMuffin Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Just finished reading through many of the posts on this thread - you are all so inspirational!

I lost 65 pounds with Weight Watchers about 20 years ago, but have let 45 of those pounds creep back on over the last 10 years. Fairly fit - I run, cycle, swim, snowshoe, etc - but know all of those will be easier if I carried a few less pounds. Turn 60 in December and plan on retiring in the following January, so my goal is to get that weight back off before then. I plan on having a heck of a time once I retire!! So looking forward to having the time to get involved in organizations as a volunteer that I just don't have the time to commit to right now.

Have been a member of MFP off and on for the past two years, but that has been halfhearted at best. Hoping that joining some challenges and groups will give me the accountability that I need.
  • sallyobrien22951
    sallyobrien22951 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi can I join
  • sallyobrien22951
    sallyobrien22951 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am 56 and 5 ft 1 and 201 lbs!
    I don't even know how to track calories
    I just joined today
    I want to post here for accountability
    Good luck to all
    Sally
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    HI - This is the first time posting on this thread; I recognize "spikeyhair" from the other thread we are both on ... WOMEN 50+ whatever month we're in - (it changes at the end of the month through a 'link' that is posted by one of the ladies ...); thread is very much like this one after reading through some of the posts. Feel free to come check this other thread out as well. I am planning on 'bookmarking' this thread as well.

GRITSandSLUTS (Acronyms for) Girls Raised In The South and Southern Ladies Under Tremendous Stress
    I'm definitely the first; but, not so much the 2nd.
    The ladies on WOMEN 50+ are my WINOS (Women In Need Of Support)

Lenora (SW GA)
  • MaxandGracie
    MaxandGracie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    How do I bookmark this discussion?
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Eleted - Don't know if you can do this or not; but, earlier you talked about posture. Mine is not all that great; and, I really have to make myself 'aware' of not allowing my shoulders to 'droop'. I remember my Mother making me stand up next to the wall; and flattening out my posture, keeping my head, neck, shoulders back, butt, and legs and stand there. I would also have to walk with a book balanced on my head. Now, one of the things I will do is lay flat on the floor, and gravity will make you align your body up with being in a position of good posture. Lay there and breath in-and-out and 'think' about 'how your body feels' in this position. It is my daily 'meditation' position. Of course, sometimes I have to turn over and crawl on my hands and knees to get to a chair or the sofa to pull myself up. Then, when I do 'get up' ... I think about 'how it felt to be laying flat on the floor' and I try to have that same feeling while walking.

Lenora
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    edited January 2017
    Options
    MaxandGracie - Up at the top of the posting there is an outline of a star; click on it and it will turn yellow; after that, every time you want to find this thread, then click on the gray star between the gray bell and gear; and, a drop down screen will show up and show a list of all 'links/threads' you have been in, then just click on it and it will take you there and it will take you back to your 'last' post; then you can read from that point up to the last post of the day. I'm on another very 'large' thread (WOMEN 50+ [whatever month it is]) and the last day of the month one of the women will post a 'link' that will take you to the next month's postings. We are a really 'chatty' thread made up of women over the age of 50; but, we will let anybody in; but, like I said, it is intended for 'women'. We talk about most things; the only things that we don't 'openly' discuss is 'politics' and 'religious ideologies' - we can do that in a 'private message' to someone in the group if we need to. Whenever we 'change' the month; we have to 'bookmark' the 'new' page.

Hope you will check us out sometime. I was happy to see that there is another thread; which might be a little different from the one I am on.

Lenora
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    griffinca2 - I grew up in Forsyth ... I am assuming (maybe incorrectly) that you live in the Griffin, GA area from your User Name. I now live in a small town in SW GA (Dawson - about 25 miles N/NW of Albany, GA; where I used to live). Lived in Macon, GA for 2 years and then DH got transferred back down to Albany; things changed within the company and he ended up 'painting houses' for a living. He has never had to 'advertise' ... all his business is 'by word of mouth'. He's made a good living for the past 30 years as a 'sober, dependable painter'. Does mostly 'repaints' of houses and small businesses. He's done painting on larger 'new' houses; but, he'd rather turn them down because it is too difficult to be there 'in between other workers' and to 'be back between another group of workers' ... then to finally come back to touch up areas messed up by other workers. He and his crew usually are working on 2 or 3 different jobs in various stages of the painting process. He has a lot of repeat business and several of them call him yearly to come wash they houses down and to see if the washing does the trick or it if needs a fresh coat of paint on it. Also pressure washes driveways and walks. This week, for a couple who are redoing an older home; he has taken off all the door knobs and plates because he rubbed on with brass polish and discovered they were all 'solid brass'. At one time, my kitchen had 7 or 8 sets of door knobs and plates. The weather was just too bad for them to be done outside. Our weather here is anywhere from maybe 'cold' a few days during January and February, to warm and balmy to 'hotter than Hades'. We've had 3" of snow on the ground, a real rarity; to wearing shorts on Christmas Day.

While things continuously change, I think we are always 'where we are supposed to be' at any particular time, so that 'we'll be where we can meet the people we have who have become our friends'. I cannot worry about all the "What if's" in life ... it is the 'what is it now' ... 'where I am now' that matters. Can't worry about yesterday, that is water under the bridge; try not to worry about tomorrow because that is not a promise for me, I try to 'live in the moment' because today is [the] Present.

God Bless!
    Lenora
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    B)
  • Eleted
    Eleted Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Grits and Sluts. Welcome. My reference weeks ago about posture was regarding a members talking about teaching Urban Poling. It sounded intriguing utilizing poles in a walking routine. I had made an assimption that it might improve posture when I walk. U r right about our mothers nagging about standing up straight. Turns out that it is so important. It is easy to hunch forward as we walk.
    JOYCE MOUL:: YOU ROCK! Welcome to this thread. Would you please share with us what worked for you?
    GRIFFINCA. YES, sugar is not good. I am struggling with that.
    Happy Day All!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    I am 56 and 5 ft 1 and 201 lbs!
    I don't even know how to track calories
    I just joined today
    I want to post here for accountability
    Good luck to all
    Sally

Welcome Sally, here is a great thread to learn about using MFP to track calories.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!