Beautiful Behaviors - January 2017

Replies

• neznarf0205
    neznarf0205 Posts: 46 Member
    edited January 2017
    This thread is full of good energy. It's a good feeling to be back here and motivated. I lost almost 60 lbs back in 2012 then put it all back on over 3=4 years as I sort of gave up. My relationship was going downhill and I avoided dealing with issues with food and watching TV. Exercise and eating healthy are so important to your mind as well as your body, Speak your mind when things really bother you. Get someone in your life who will speak the truth to you. See a counselor for even more guidance. We can do this.
  • woznube7
    woznube7 Posts: 550 Member
    Blimey this is an active thread! How do I get notifications so I can keep up rather than coming back after three pages of updates I've missed! @aleahurst about a week ago you asked me about my fruit and veg goal? I'm classing one bit of fruit/veg as one piece, regardless of size :smiley: I eat a lot of fruit/veg anyway so its just a matter of turning to that instead of the sweeties!

I will have to catch up this evening after work; don't talk too much for a few hours :smiley: haha

124085942.png

There is a star in the upper right hand corner right above the page numbers! :)
  • jessiquoi
    jessiquoi Posts: 400 Member
    Libby, too bad about bowling being canceled. I LOVE bowling. I find it a great workout when I go just with John, because I don't get to sit too much in between the standing, lifting, bending and throwing. I wish I was able to come here this weekend for help, but I was too depressed. sometimes, I find, it's easier to give in and let it pass than to fight nonstop. I'm back in the game again now!

@neznarf0205 , welcome, and thanks for the friend request!

@ThisTimeItSticks , lol, we'll try to keep it down for a while. :)

Lea, thank you for the beautiful words. <3

Hi, @BeautifulDestruction67 , @TeachingT , @lulalacroix , @gatamadriz , @daisybell , @puzzlepea, @MehTaken , @theamazingcassiebunny

Paige, good for you for prepping! I can't wait to have a kitchen again. sorry that I say that so often, but man it's the truth.

I'm back on with my tracking, and walking and drinking like a fool. I will get back on the scale sometime this week and see if I did much damage. this is my problem... depression and anxiety, coupled with daily care of my type 1 diabetes, sometimes gets the better of me. if I only keep on tracking my food, it's not that bad, but when I stop that, I'm lost. I'm grateful it only lasted a couple of days this time.

later,
    jess
  • aleahurst
    aleahurst Posts: 325 Member
    Hi @ThisTimeItSticks !! Good to see you back. That's kind of how I count fruits and vegetables, too. Good for you, turning to them instead of sweets. Maybe I can imitate that. It's much like trying to pull a u-turn in an old truck. My mind is turning the steering wheel, but my body is the old truck. It gets stuck in every rut. It's some real work to turn.

Libby, hang in there. I love your willingness to say what is on your mind. You're the most perfect you there could ever be.

Hi Jess! Good to see you here!

I have several triggers, some of you will relate, some will not: 1) buying a huge quantity of seeds or nuts at the store, 2) an unexpected swollen gut, 3) a news story about a rapist, 4) a quiet day at home after several days of busy-ness away from home.

To resolve my inability to speak to a disabled neighbor. My best solution is just to knock on his door and say, "Hey! You haven't been out and I missed saying hi to you. So I don't have much to tell, just wanted to say hi.". I think that will be okay.

Stay calm and enjoy Tuesday!

Lea
  • woznube7
    woznube7 Posts: 550 Member
    Lea -- I was going to suggest a solution, but you seem to have already figured it out. "Hey there, I haven't seen you in a while and miss saying hello. It is good to see you."

Jess -- letting it past and not fighting it is the best route. I am still learning that. You are so strong. It is good to see another "alternative" to handle the feelings. Although it feels like we are alone with how it consumes us, we are not! So grateful that you are back!

@neznarf0205 -- such powerful words. Welcome back and happy to have you here! We can do this, we have each other!
  • gatamadriz
    gatamadriz Posts: 68 Member
    Blimey this is an active thread! How do I get notifications so I can keep up rather than coming back after three pages of updates I've missed! @aleahurst about a week ago you asked me about my fruit and veg goal? I'm classing one bit of fruit/veg as one piece, regardless of size :smiley: I eat a lot of fruit/veg anyway so its just a matter of turning to that instead of the sweeties!

I will have to catch up this evening after work; don't talk too much for a few hours :smiley: haha

124085942.png

All I did was click on the star to the right of the group listing and suddenly the little bell icon was registering notifications.

Good luck! Happy Tuesday!
  • gatamadriz
    Good afternoon everyone.

My trigger is almost always money stress. But sometimes, it's just...I've been adulting too long and I need to be bad. Anyone else have that?

So, my beautiful behavior for the day:
    Climb 11 flights of stairs in my building (the weather is horrible)
    Turn on music and dance to at least three songs
    Make another batch of cream to dilute the batch I screwed up on and added 3x the amount of menthol. (Am trying to perfect a sore muscle and joint cream) Oh, yeah, I make creams, lotions, bath, potions...

Happy Tuesday!
    May it be fruitful, low cal, high laughter and generally positive.

• jessiquoi
    @gatamadriz YES I LOVE to be bad. Why why why why why??? We're only being bad to ourselves, why do we think of it as a treat when it's really poor treatment? Money stress is one of my triggers also.
  • aleahurst
    Wait a minute, I think I've been adulting too long as well!
  • gatamadriz
    edited January 2017
    Alehurst, Jessiquoi-- Forbidden fruit, I've had this syndrome since I was at least 3 -- though my mother insists I developed it by 6 months, lol. Seriously, I had a nutritionist when I lived in Spain and I came in for my weigh-in and admitted that I'd had wine! Tapas! Bad, bad, bad!
    And he smiled and said, "You need to live. Let me adjust your diet. Losing weight is a long endurance run, not a sprint."

I LOVED him!
  • jessiquoi
    i came home to find John making dinner on the wood stove! he got creative with some chicken and veggies, lucky me! i feel very pioneer-y.
  • dlm4mom
    dlm4mom Posts: 252 Member
    I've been on a good day bad day cycle. Started this weekend overeating at a party then had fast food twice since then. Fast food is my downfall. Tonight I know I will be too tired to cook so I stopped and picked up a good salad. I am making weekly food prep day a goal too. I look forward to hearing more about how you all stick to this. I can see how this would be incredibly helpful.
  • TeachingT
    TeachingT Posts: 814 Member
    Happy Tuesday!!! Hope everyone has had a great day so far. I was up all night with a sick kid :neutral:

Time to hit some cardio and then I think it will be an early night.
  • jessiquoi
    @dlm4mom , good for you for getting a salad! that's setting yourself up for success.

@teachingt, i hope your child feels better soon. enjoy your cardio!

@gatamadriz , sounds like you were very lucky in your nutritionist. so lucky!
  • aleahurst
    gatamadriz wrote: »
    You need to live. Let me adjust your diet. Losing weight is a long endurance run, not a sprint."

YES!

AND experts say that if the executive part of your brain makes repeated good health decisions, then good decisions become an intuitive response for the rest of your life. So, every time we've been bad, we can and should get back to our plans and like playing scales on a piano, practice again. Being bad ain't so bad. It's just a part of who we are. We've got a common goal, that of losing weight permanently. But if we fall short of that goal, we can simply start again, get in some more practice at being self caring, and expect it to become a way of life.

My bad is red wine, home made bread with butter, chocolate. Mmmm

@TeachingT - it's been an okay day. Hope you and your child can have a night of rest tonight.

@neznarf0205 - good to have you here. Welcome!

@dlm4mom - good choice! I may start buying pre-washed salads in order to save on food prep time. They are more expensive, it's a choice that I wish was easier to make.

Peace and love to all who come here.

Lea

• lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    @aleahurst I was thinking about your neighbor issue. What if you found a way to need the neighbor? A way they could mentor you in something or advise you in some way? Then you would always have a reason to stop by.
  • aleahurst
    @lulalacroix - I'll have to think on that. Perhaps if I start a dialogue, I'll find out what his strengths are. So now I have something to focus on when I drop by to say hi/bye tomorrow. I'll start a conversation. Today was a stay close to the bed day. They happen. Tomorrow will be a get going day.

Wishing you a peaceful night.

Lea
  • aleahurst
    One more share, my beautiful behaviors for tomorrow:
    1. Get out of bed, tell the old fart in the mirror that despite all, I still love her
    2. Get dressed in something that feels practical for movement
    3. Brush teeth
    4. Walk four blocks
    5. Visit neighbor
    6. Spend 10 minutes with prayer journal, praying and writing
    7. Text at least one person from church
    :persevere:
  • jessiquoi
    Good morning, everyone! Happy hump day. I am working from home today, which means a low movement day, unless I can get outside for a little walk. I haven't checked the weather yet... we'll see.

Yesterday was back to square one. Tracked all my food, although I went over by 300 calories. I was honest. It was an office day, and somehow I walked less than usual. I can't figure it out, I usually put almost 4000 steps on for an office day, and yesterday i didn't break 3000. :( I did drink plenty, so there's one positive, two if I count tracking and i am lol.

Today my challenge will be avoiding grazing, which happens on days I work from home. Proximity to the refrigerator! I have a large salad ready, so if I can't resist eating, I'll at least have something low cal to munch on. I just told John I want to take a walk later, so i guess that's on. :)

What's the biggest challenge you're facing today? What outcome do you want to see, and what's your plan for getting there?

have a beautiful day,
    jess