What's your Bench 1RM?

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Awesome. Got some great input. I have been consistently training for just over 4 months, but I'm hoping to gain more strength. Thank y'all for you're responses. I'd love to be in a competition soon.

If you can bench 205 with 4 months of training then that's very impressive. I think it took me at least a year if not longer. When I started, the bare bar was too heavy, now I can do 335. It's been about 4.5 years.

It has taken me the better part of three years to break my 185 plateau. #embracethegrind
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    as a woman I could 1RM my bodyweight at 145...pretty proud of that actually.

3 Years of lifting benching 1x a week.
  • slefko
    slefko Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately my 1RM for benching is not nearly where I would like it to be, at only 95lbs. I don't bench nearly as much as I need, I find myself gravitating towards squatting and deadlifts, I just generally like them more.
  • noemorales1022
    noemorales1022 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Awesome. Got some great input. I have been consistently training for just over 4 months, but I'm hoping to gain more strength. Thank y'all for you're responses. I'd love to be in a competition soon.

If you can bench 205 with 4 months of training then that's very impressive. I think it took me at least a year if not longer. When I started, the bare bar was too heavy, now I can do 335. It's been about 4.5 years.

Thank you. Although I'm sure I have not hit a plateau yet. That's amazing though, one day I'll be joining the #300Club
  • noemorales1022
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

It has taken me the better part of three years to break my 185 plateau. #embracethegrind

Yes. Very impressive bench JoRocka!
  • noemorales1022
    Options
    slefko wrote: »
    Unfortunately my 1RM for benching is not nearly where I would like it to be, at only 95lbs. I don't bench nearly as much as I need, I find myself gravitating towards squatting and deadlifts, I just generally like them more.
    It is hard to balance your training. I had neglected the bench for a while, mainly focusing on squatting and deadlift and other isolated exercises. Now I'm trying to balance everything out by incorporating Olympic lifting.
  • noemorales1022
    Options
    190 lbs here I don't know my 1rm. But my 5rm is 105 so far. I started 2 weeks ago at 65 though so I'm happy :)

Well done Cody. You just have to stick with it.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I've been "lifting" like... 8 or 9 years? I've been consistently "training" with better nutrition and principles for a little over 3 years I think.

Right now I'm about 183 lbs... and Bench 2x a week currently.

Best TnG was 270 (around 190 lbs maybe, and over a year ago) and best paused was 265 (I think I was closer to 200 lbs BW though).

I'm a garbage bencher.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I know you didn't technically ask, but "training chest" isn't always the best way to build your bench press. Triceps and a big back will add a lot to your bench as well.

I'm somewhere around 375lbs Paused at the moment. Probably somewhere around 385-390 Touch and Go. Body weight sitting around 255-260

Training for bench 3x/week currently.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    205 at 168 body weight 6 months ago. Now I'm 176 currently benching 2x a week. Almost at my 2nd year of training, But first 7 months of strength training. Calculated is 220 though I haven't tested it. I want to wait till my calculated breaks 2 plates.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    1RM the gym, 325 lbs // 147 Kgs -- this was a few months ago.

ON the platform, 315 lbs // 143 kgs -- from June.

I'm peaking for a meet on January 28th, so a practice set of 315 lbs // 143 kgs from this afternoon.

Currently max, I have no idea. I'll test that soon. Offseason programming I train bench 3x a week -- usually with squats for the most carryover. Train at 205-210, compete at 195-205 lbs in the 93KG class.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    No idea. Even when I was younger, I didn't know. I focused more on reps. Highest I got up to was 245lbs, but I did more than a single.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I know you didn't technically ask, but "training chest" isn't always the best way to build your bench press. Triceps and a big back will add a lot to your bench as well.

I'm somewhere around 375lbs Paused at the moment. Probably somewhere around 385-390 Touch and Go. Body weight sitting around 255-260

Totally agree on having a good back. The width of my grip is the same on everything to mimick the bench, ohp, pullovers etc. But I've noticed heavy straight bar pullovers and heavy tricep work gets me moving up in the bench.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,990 Member
    Options
    Age 66
    BW 160
    BP 1RM: 210 (real, not calculated)

Based on 7 months of training. 2x's/wk doing Starting Strength 3x5 for 1st 6 months. Switched to the Waterbury Method 10x3 in past month & due for a retest at 215 soon.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Z_I_L_L_A wrote: »

Totally agree on having a good back. The width of my grip is the same on everything to mimick the bench, ohp, pullovers etc. But I've noticed heavy straight bar pullovers and heavy tricep work gets me moving up in the bench.

it's the only reason I have a good bench.
    My back is huge. (I'd say for a girl but Eff that- my back is just huge) #noshame
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

My back is huge. (I'd say for a girl but Eff that- my back is just huge) #noshame

So you're have to turn sideways to go through doors big? Hell yeah! Just pullovers will make a big difference.
  • noemorales1022
    Options

Good point. I think once I hit a plateau I will look I to those extra accessory workouts to help break that. Thanks for the response.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    My best competition bench press was 303lbs at BW of 189lbs.
  • pdxhak
    pdxhak Posts: 383 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    How do people calculate a 1RM? Never heard of that.

Currently
    BW: 175 lbs
    1RM: 285 lbs
  • JoRocka
    Options

So you're have to turn sideways to go through doors big? Hell yeah! Just pullovers will make a big difference.
    I assume you mean these guys?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tjQdZ8X37A

yes- I do them. I are large and incharge marge man. But- I mean- I could be bigger. ;)just saying.