Thoughts on the "potato diet"?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Oh, one reaction, though, to the amazement that WFPB can work for diabetes is that contrary to the assertion that carbs cause diabetes the rate of T2D is quite low in cultures with traditional diets (again, like the blue zones) which often are as high carb or higher than the western pattern diet. Therefore, I am skeptical at the idea that carbs are the issue and that such a diet cannot work to treat T2D (although I would follow the advice of a doctor if I had it, but my insulin sensitivity seems to be just fine). I've seen studies that suggest that the combination of high carb and high fat in the western pattern diet, specifically sat fat and highly refined carbs, is likely the bigger risk factor and avoiding this would be beneficial.

I do have one friend who isn't overweight (well, not obese, he's gone back and forth between healthy weight and a little overweight) who has T2D (and eats badly), and he says that he has the most dramatic/problematic blood glucose readings not from plain carbs (like potatoes) but a mix of carbs and fat (like fried versions of American Chinese food, which he said is his worst meal by far).
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    The ADA also recommends diet soda. I'll bet my bottom dollar this will change within the next 10 years..

You can send your dollar to my paypal.

https://examine.com/nutrition/do-artificial-sweeteners-spike-insulin/
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    The ADA also recommends diet soda. I'll bet my bottom dollar this will change within the next 10 years..

You can send your dollar to my paypal.

https://examine.com/nutrition/do-artificial-sweeteners-spike-insulin/

Lol i knew I'd get pulled up for that one, and yes I've read the link before. Time will tell, i guess, If I'm wrong i will send you my dollar :wink:
  • indiacaitlin
    indiacaitlin Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I don't think I could deal with a diet like that. Eating healthily is all about variety and enjoying loads of different foods! People may want really fast weight loss but often that just isn't healthy or maintainable. I'd rather lose at a slower steadier rate and enjoy what I'm eating.
  • miksmith27
    miksmith27 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the "potato diet" right now I'm on day 7. I will be doing it for 30 days. So far I've lost 4lbs and been able to break through a plateau. This has been the easiest diet Ive ever tried. I feel so satisfied & eat whenever I'm hungry but I still log and know I'm in a deficit but I feel like I eat a ton. I'm not even sick of potatoes yet. Day 2 was the toughest but only mentally, I felt fine physically. I bake potato wedges most the time and eat them with ketchup. Sometimes I make mashed potatoes and I use a lot of siracha. I've also had a little soymilk & spinach. I am just enjoying this way of eating and I have had no cravings. Things could change though, I'm only on day 7. Maybe I will update later.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    miksmith27 wrote: »
    I'm doing the "potato diet" right now I'm on day 7. I will be doing it for 30 days. So far I've lost 4lbs and been able to break through a plateau. This has been the easiest diet Ive ever tried. I feel so satisfied & eat whenever I'm hungry but I still log and know I'm in a deficit but I feel like I eat a ton. I'm not even sick of potatoes yet. Day 2 was the toughest but only mentally, I felt fine physically. I bake potato wedges most the time and eat them with ketchup. Sometimes I make mashed potatoes and I use a lot of siracha. I've also had a little soymilk & spinach. I am just enjoying this way of eating and I have had no cravings. Things could change though, I'm only on day 7. Maybe I will update later.

How many calories are you averaging per day @miksmith27 ? I guess my question is, why not eat a variety of healthy foods for the same calories per day as your potato diet? You would have the same results, but with more variety and therefore better nutrition.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Having done a lot of diets over the decades, what I've learned is taking the weight off is relatively easy -- keeping it off forever is the hard part. Fad diets don't help because they represent an artificial way of eating and an unnatural relationship with food that you're not going to keep up for the rest of your life.

If you look at a diet like the potato diet or low carb or whatever and think, "I can't wait until I can eat normally again" you're setting yourself up for failure. And if you don't have a plan for maintenance other than "I'll go back to eating normally again" or "I'll just eat less, I guess" you're also setting yourself up for failure. That's why people in the USA are dieting more than ever, and at the same time getting fatter than ever.

It's not about what you eat or even how much you eat, it's a behavioral problem -- and that requires a behavioral solution. I think I can keep logging what I eat for the rest of my life and that for me is a small price to pay for (hopefully) a longer life -- if you don't want to log, you need to figure out how you're going to change your relationship with food for the long haul.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    pebble4321 wrote: »
    I eat my potatoes with apple cider vinegar, because twice the woo means twice the weight loss.

Oh but you aren't trying hard enough - if you eat your potatoes with ACV as 6 - 8 small meals a day but stop eating before 7pm, you would lose four times the weight!

Will you be my weight loss guru? I'm told I'm a great student and a joy to teach, but I can only pay you in potatoes (Yukon Gold, specifically).
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to link to this thread in case this is helpful for anyone.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10499571/fad-diets-and-general-recommendations
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    I just wanted to link to this thread in case this is helpful for anyone.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10499571/fad-diets-and-general-recommendations

Beat me to it, lol.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    pebble4321 wrote: »
    I eat my potatoes with apple cider vinegar, because twice the woo means twice the weight loss.

Oh but you aren't trying hard enough - if you eat your potatoes with ACV as 6 - 8 small meals a day but stop eating before 7pm, you would lose four times the weight!

Will you be my weight loss guru? I'm told I'm a great student and a joy to teach, but I can only pay you in potatoes (Yukon Gold, specifically).

Sure. As long as you can ship those potatoes to Australia. Otherwise you can just pay via Paypal like all my other mentees from my great fad diet business :)
  • DietVanillaCoke
    DietVanillaCoke Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    If i was going to eat 1 food it would be pizza. And there is a guy that ate nothing but pizza to lose weight. Does that mean it's a weight loss miracle? No. He and the people doing the "potato diet" just ate less calories. You don't have to do insane things to lose weight. People have convinced us that weight loss is this hard thing that no one can do without doing insane things... but it's not hard if you avoid the BS out there.

Eat less calories and you will lose weight. It's not a gimmick, it's not magic and Dr Oz isn't selling it on his show for 3 easy payments of $39.99. It will however require some discipline, self control and a willing to change your lifestyle forever.
  • KatzeDerNacht22
    KatzeDerNacht22 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I like potatoes but with some salt at least. I'd get bored to death after day 2 I'm sure. And only cos I really like them but I'd add salt and then the "diet" would be ruined :expressionless:
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    So, I love potatoes. If there was a potato god, I would worship at the altar.

But.....a plain potato is a life ruiner for me. I need at least some butter and salt.

This diet would not last past the first bite of potato for me.
  • KatzeDerNacht22
    KatzeDerNacht22 Posts: 200 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    esfoster5 wrote: »
    I'm glad to see SpudFit mentioned, but it sucks a lot of people are hating on him.

Dude just today finished a year of eating nothing but potatoes and lost over 100lbs. I was actually chatting with him on Twitter yesterday and ate a plain potato tonight to celebrate his acheivement.

Yes, it goes against everything anyone ever told you, but potatoes are nutritionally complete, and you can survive on them pretty much indefinitely.

Boring? Sure. But if you can hack it you'll lose tons of weight and totally redefine your relationship with food.

I've only done 3 or 4 days myself, but even that short time totally warped my perspective.

It's really, really worth trying. Just think of it as a fast—if you're not hungry enough to eat a plain microwaved potato, you're not hungry.

I 100% recommend it, if only as an experiment to learn about your body and your hunger drive.

How can you re-define your relationship with food by eating only one type of food ?

PS I am vegan and I just feel this odd sensation reading stuff like this, no wonder some people give me weird looks before I even say anything >_<