Name Change vote?

Is that possible? can we vote to change it back?

Maybe I'm bias- but I'd like to see it go back to just Gaining Weight.

any takers?

the shift in the force is perceptible here.

Replies

• comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Yes please. I'm seeing more posts from people wanting to lose weight and the emphasis is more towards body building.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Ps it was raised in the feedback and suggestions forum too.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    I agree. It's weird now. Bodybuilders will still post in the Gaining Weight section anyway. It's just all confuzzled now.
  • no44s4me
    no44s4me Posts: 73 Member
    Hmmm....maybe. That being said, a couple of years into my journey, I'm not sure I would consider cutting the same as "losing weight". Nor would I consider bulking the same as "gaining weight". Personally, I'm willing to take the bs posts in hopes of a few nuggets of truth. Can't wait to focus again on bulking again...coffee chocolate mm's? Really?
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    no44s4me wrote: »
    Hmmm....maybe. That being said, a couple of years into my journey, I'm not sure I would consider cutting the same as "losing weight". Nor would I consider bulking the same as "gaining weight". Personally, I'm willing to take the bs posts in hopes of a few nuggets of truth. Can't wait to focus again on bulking again...coffee chocolate mm's? Really?

Wait? That's a thing??! None for me (ok, just a little). I'm a pansy, #foreverRecomp.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    My vote is for "Gaining weight and Bulking." Or just Gaining Weight, like it used to be. We all know what that meant.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    I wonder if the name change will scare away folks (especially young women) who are underweight and not looking to be a "bodybuilder", something they already are often afraid of.

I've always thought it was odd to include these two groups in the same forum, though I suppose the number of underweight posters is pretty low compared to everyone else. Maybe they can trash the debate forum, and then split this into a Gaining Weight forum and a Bodybuilding or maybe Gaining Muscle forum?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member

yeah- I am pleased to help people- but ... things don't seem the same.

Wait? That's a thing??! None for me (ok, just a little). I'm a pansy, #foreverRecomp.

it is- I learned this recently also (check out my bulking bishes thread!)- I felt like everything I knew was a lie. I still haven't found them. #stilllookingformysoulmate
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I wonder if the name change will scare away folks (especially young women) who are underweight and not looking to be a "bodybuilder", something they already are often afraid of.

I've always thought it was odd to include these two groups in the same forum, though I suppose the number of underweight posters is pretty low compared to everyone else. Maybe they can trash the debate forum, and then split this into a Gaining Weight forum and a Bodybuilding or maybe Gaining Muscle forum?

Maybe- We never had a huge influx of people in here looking to gain- but it happened- a small but steady stream- it was a nice kind of quiet corner honestly. It doesn't feel like that any more.
    I wouldn't want to separate gaining weight from gaining muscle- those things technically would be the same thing (ideally- few people flat out want to gain fat)

Unsure- I know I haven't been AS active (getting married will do that to you LOL) but now that I'm done stalking the hell out of the wedding forums- I am back here more regularly and I was here for the name change and there is a definite shift. Maybe I need more time to adjust.
  • comptonelizabeth
    My vote is for "Gaining weight and Bulking." Or just Gaining Weight, like it used to be. We all know what that meant.

Agreed!
    kimny72 wrote: »

Maybe the number of underweight posters has reduced because of the name change?
    I came here to gain weight,not necessarily to bulk. I'm not young and don't have an eating disorder.
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I will say that I'm all in for the new name if adding the "bodybuilding" part keeps the Apetamin threads out. :D

LOL- there aren't that many of those! On the other hand maybe reverting to the original name will keep out threads about needing to gain water weight quickly. Wtf?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    @JoRocka give it time and I will guarantee you things will slowly get back to better. This always happens in January with all the New Years Resolutions and the occasional BB.com troll coming over. But in a month, many people will start to fall off or banned.

I do realize that there has been an increase in traffic, but I don't think most of it has been bad...

• Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    @JoRocka give it time and I will guarantee you things will slowly get back to better. This always happens in January with all the New Years Resolutions and the occasional BB.com troll coming over. But in a month, many people will start to fall off or banned.

I do realize that there has been an increase in traffic, but I don't think most of it has been bad...

Not "bad" per se, but it would be nice if new members were met with a scripted "USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION!" in bright red, 3 inch high caps for the first 10 attempts to create a new thread. :)

Every day I see new threads being answered the same way by mfp faithfuls when there might be 3 other threads with the exact same topic and answers in full view on that page.

That alone would probably handle 50% or more of the OPs concerns.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    @JoRocka I vote for : "People who embrace sugary goodness!!!! "
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member

@JoRocka I would second what @psuLemon said. It is a bit like January in the gym at the moment with all the new people but once February comes, it will go back to the normal people who used to post in here. Well at least I hope it does cos the one person that has started in here in January is incredibly over the top for my liking. Wont name him but I think we all know who he is.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    not a fan... i preferred gaining weight...
  • comptonelizabeth
    jdscrubs32 wrote: »

@JoRocka I would second what @psuLemon said. It is a bit like January in the gym at the moment with all the new people but once February comes, it will go back to the normal people who used to post in here. Well at least I hope it does cos the one person that has started in here in January is incredibly over the top for my liking. Wont name him but I think we all know who he is.

But there's nothing wrong with new people posting! I'm relatively new - hopefully we're not all hopeless newbies and even if we are,this is a great place to learn.
    I don't understand the reason behind the change of name - if something isn't broken,why fix it.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    jdscrubs32 wrote: »

But there's nothing wrong with new people posting! I'm relatively new - hopefully we're not all hopeless newbies and even if we are,this is a great place to learn.
    I don't understand the reason behind the change of name - if something isn't broken,why fix it.

Of course new people can/should post, but to come in and arrogantly talk down to the rest of the community with an air of superiority about one's diet/fitness regime is grating and uncalled for. Most people who do this end up figuring out that their attitude is unwelcome and either get it together or GTFO, but some don't, and it's getting tiresome.

I'd vote for going back to "Gaining Weight" and dropping the bodybuilding. I lurk in here a lot because all the cool kids who know how to make gains are here, and I hope someday I'll be actively participating on this side of things. It's a great resource. The tone definitely has changed with the name change... There's more dreck to sift through and a lot of misplaced threads that belong over in General or Losing Weight. (Same is true for Debate... I almost wish you couldn't start a thread in that section without posting a hyperlink to a scientific article or study, but alas.)

the debate forum is just a place to dump all the crap that the powers that be don't want in the main forums...