The cookie diet!

Options
serindipte
serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
edited January 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
We've likely all heard of the low fat, low carb, veggies only, cabbage only, grapefruit, and every other 'thing' diets. This is even better!!! After all, who doesn't love cookies??

1. Create account on MFP, enter your stats, goals, activity levels and allow MFP to set a calorie goal. (As much as we'd all love to lose 2lbs+ a week, that is only recommended for those with 75lbs+. For 25lbs -50lbs, set it at 1lb and for under 25lbs, go with .5lbs)
2. Buy a food scale.
3. Eat real food. Yes, real food you can buy at any grocery store! Weigh it, log it, and keep within the calorie goals. If you have calories left at the end of the day? Eat a cookie!!!

That's it! No magic pills, no restrictive eating.. Just cookies. :wink:

Seriously, though.. countless threads show up with this diet and that diet, this restriction and that one. So many question what to do if they really want dessert or to go out to eat.

Look at your calories as a weekly average rather than daily. If you want to indulge one day? Eat a bit less on the days leading up to it and then enjoy. Log it, watch your average and keep it around your goal calories.

Replies

• serindipte
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    For some reason I thought you were going to say something like, "you can eat anything so long as you shape it into a cookie."

But I pretty much agree with you - for myself, anyways. When I try to restrict, that's when I end up failing.

Well, no, but I would say that any cookie dough consumed in the baking process has its calories negated by the fact that you just mixed it and are standing at the counter licking the spoon rather than sitting down to eat. lol
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Oh man...no can do...

Who doesn't like cookies?

<<<

Actually, I like them sometimes but I have to be in the mood...and one is more than enough to last me quite some time...most baked goods don't do much for me unless it's banana bread or zucchini bread. I will do the banana bread diet.
  • serindipte
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Oh man...no can do...

<<<

Actually, I like them sometimes but I have to be in the mood...and one is more than enough to last me quite some time...most baked goods don't do much for me unless it's banana bread or zucchini bread. I will do the banana bread diet.

I knew there had to be some strange person who'd come in saying they didn't like cookies. lol... Banana bread works! I love that, too.. and banana nut muffins.. and banana nut pancakes.. yes, I love some banana bread, too.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    serindipte wrote: »
    Oh man...no can do...

<<<

I knew there had to be some strange person who'd come in saying they didn't like cookies. lol... Banana bread works! I love that, too.. and banana nut muffins.. and banana nut pancakes.. yes, I love some banana bread, too.

I'm another. I'm not fussed for most cookies.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I mostly agree. Mostly. I think that there are people out there who will eat nothing but small amounts of calorie dense nutrient deficient food, feel like crap and binge, get depressed and give up.

We all know that cico is accurate. We all know that a little treat is helpful to stop most of us from binging BUT I think it's irresponsible to neglect recommending healthy lower calorie, nutrient dense foods for the largest part of your eating plan.

Believe it or not there ARE people out there who literally do not eat vegetables...like...at all.

How you feel and how much energy you have impact your success rate. It affect the co part of the equation because the healthier you feel the more calories you burn without even thinking about it because a healthy body WANTS to move.

But absolutely eat a cookie with leftover calories. Personally I like the soft ones from the bakery section of the grocery store.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,913 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Oh man...no can do...

<<<

I'm another. I'm not fussed for most cookies.

Try these, which are indeed 'chocolatey to the point of madness': https://www.nigella.com/recipes/totally-chocolate-chocolate-chip-cookies

totally-chocolate-chocolate-ch-5637403d35b7b.jpg
  • serindipte
    Options
    ogtmama wrote: »
    I mostly agree. Mostly. I think that there are people out there who will eat nothing but small amounts of calorie dense nutrient deficient food, feel like crap and binge, get depressed and give up.

We all know that cico is accurate. We all know that a little treat is helpful to stop most of us from binging BUT I think it's irresponsible to neglect recommending healthy lower calorie, nutrient dense foods for the largest part of your eating plan.

Believe it or not there ARE people out there who literally do not eat vegetables...like...at all.

How you feel and how much energy you have impact your success rate. It affect the co part of the equation because the healthier you feel the more calories you burn without even thinking about it because a healthy body WANTS to move.

But absolutely eat a cookie with leftover calories. Personally I like the soft ones from the bakery section of the grocery store.

Right! That's the "real food" part of the diet. :smiley:
  • ogtmama
    edited January 2017
    Options

Then I'm all for it. I think a lot of people see "real food" and read "the junk I'm used to eating" unfortunately.
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Where do I get a recipe for making anything less than two dozen cookies? :p I can never actually manage to eat just one because otherwise the other 23 are gonna go bad!

ETA: found one to make 8. Still almost 350 calories for one freakin' cookie.
  • serindipte
    Options

Then I'm all for it. I think a lot of people see "real food" and read "the junk I'm used to eating" unfortunately.

While that would still work, as long as they keep within their calorie goals, that bit about "from the grocery store" gets rid of the fast food for the most part. I still have fast food now and then, but not nearly as much as I once did. Had Zaxby's chicken strips with fries last night, in fact. It isn't something I could or would eat every day and, if I tried, I'd be starving because it would wipe out my calorie allotment.

@FreyasRebirth ~ I know, right?? Fortunately, I've had pretty good luck with ziploc bags in keeping them fresh. I have a batch that my friend made me for Christmas and I just have one now and then. They've even stayed soft.
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Where do I get a recipe for making anything less than two dozen cookies? :p I can never actually manage to eat just one because otherwise the other 23 are gonna go bad!

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/09/13/single-serving-recipes/

I like several of these :)
  • serindipte
    edited January 2017
    Options
    srk369 wrote: »

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/09/13/single-serving-recipes/

I like several of these :)

OMG you are AMAZING! So may recipes for a one serving yummy! Thanks! lol
  • ogtmama
    Options

While that would still work, as long as they keep within their calorie goals, that bit about "from the grocery store" gets rid of the fast food for the most part. I still have fast food now and then, but not nearly as much as I once did. Had Zaxby's chicken strips with fries last night, in fact. It isn't something I could or would eat every day and, if I tried, I'd be starving because it would wipe out my calorie allotment.

@FreyasRebirth ~ I know, right?? Fortunately, I've had pretty good luck with ziploc bags in keeping them fresh. I have a batch that my friend made me for Christmas and I just have one now and then. They've even stayed soft.

I don't think it would really work in the long run because they'd be hungry and feel like crap and would give up but I suppose theoretically it is possible, just not likely. I don't know which grocery store you go to but mine has as much crap as what you call "real food".
  • ogtmama
    Options

You could probably make them smaller for less calories but then you run into the too many problem again
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Sorry add me to the "not that into cookies" list.

I'm actually not into sweets that much, but I do like my 100 calorie fudge ice cream bar or Hershey's kisses now and then.

• kksmom1789
    kksmom1789 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    seriously my nickname is the cookie monster I love Chocolate Chip cookies!!! and in the past they were the absolute reason why I would "fail" all my diets. I've known about counting calories since I joined MFP in 2012 but on Nov 1, 2016 I started counting everyday and I have lost 20lbs and I still eat my cookies lol
    its funny that you made this post because a friend the other day noticed my weight loss and asked me if I still was able to eat real food the question kinda threw me off but I understood were she was coming from because for many years I thought the only way to loss weight was to ditch all the real food I loved
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    kksmom1789 wrote: »
    seriously my nickname is the cookie monster I love Chocolate Chip cookies!!! and in the past they were the absolute reason why I would "fail" all my diets. I've known about counting calories since I joined MFP in 2012 but on Nov 1, 2016 I started counting everyday and I have lost 20lbs and I still eat my cookies lol
    its funny that you made this post because a friend the other day noticed my weight loss and asked me if I still was able to eat real food the question kinda threw me off but I understood were she was coming from because for many years I thought the only way to loss weight was to ditch all the real food I loved

This was pretty empowering for me to learn that I'm in control of my favorite foods and that I don't have to give anything up to lose weight!