What is something way too high in calories but you cant resist and how often do you have it?

Options

Replies

• giovanna8830
    giovanna8830 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    :*:* APPLES <3:)))
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    feeling like you have to punish yourself for having a splurge is a sign of potential disordered eating...

LOL. You missed the point entirely.

not missing the point...if you feel like you need to work out an extra 2hours to burn off the calories from your Dorito "splurge" (in your own words) - then your relationship with food should be addressed

how many dorito's did you eat that you felt that way? any entire bag or a single serving?

IMHO, anyone who has to adhere so strictly to an eating plan that you can even fit in some fun/splurge foods - then it should be addressed

Really, no.

I exercise so I can eat more. End of the story. I'm not doing it to punish myself or burn off that piece of cheesecake. I actually enjoy it more than sitting in front of the TV for 2 hours... I just could never even fit in a 100 calorie treat if I didn't exercise/walked more. And I love eating, so it's a pretty simple choice for me.

Sedentary TDEE = 1600 calories. Active TDEE = up to 2400 calories (about 20k steps). It makes a big difference in how pleasant and happy my days are, believe me.

I don't think that was addressed to you but to the other poster indicating that they sometimes feel they have to spend 2-3 hours/day exercising to work off what they are.

It's a subtle distinction but I think a relevant one:

Person 1 plans what they want to eat, they have a craving or desire for something calorie dense, so they work out more that day or that week, cut calories a bit, so that they can fit in the food they want.

Person 2 eats a yummy calorie dense food that they weren't planning on eating, they consume more calories than normal, feel guilty or that they have to address the overage, so they work out more the next day to get back on track.

In reality, both people are probably in a net neutral situation for calories, but one mindset seems healthier to me.

I'm not sure. I don't think anyone would blink if a 'naturally slim' person decided to go for an extra walk after eating an extra piece of pie, you know? Or end up skipping dinner, which seems actually a worse option to me... but doesn't seem crazy when it's a 'naturally slim' person making that choice (as opposed to someone trying to lose weight).

For me, it's really just about choices. I don't mind going for a 30 minutes walk if it means I can eat two Thanks-a-Lots without having to worry about being over my calorie goal. I really don't think I have an eating disorder because of it. As I said above, my day is much more pleasant if I can walk for 2 hours and not have to worry too much about eating what I want - I love walking, and it relaxes me too... much more so than spending those 2 hours browsing the web or something.
  • websterc1
    websterc1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I can't think of anything that I can't fit into my weekly calories... even this bad boy if I plan well enough...
    v4naqhhlwf18.jpg

See, that means I don't get to eat ANYTHING the rest of the day. That looks like it is at least 1000 calories. No can do.

Worth it ^^

Mine is Booze, definitely. I seem to do an OK job with the food and then blow everything on alcohol! :(
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    feeling like you have to punish yourself for having a splurge is a sign of potential disordered eating...

LOL. You missed the point entirely.

not missing the point...if you feel like you need to work out an extra 2hours to burn off the calories from your Dorito "splurge" (in your own words) - then your relationship with food should be addressed

how many dorito's did you eat that you felt that way? any entire bag or a single serving?

IMHO, anyone who has to adhere so strictly to an eating plan that you can even fit in some fun/splurge foods - then it should be addressed

Really, no.

I exercise so I can eat more. End of the story. I'm not doing it to punish myself or burn off that piece of cheesecake. I actually enjoy it more than sitting in front of the TV for 2 hours... I just could never even fit in a 100 calorie treat if I didn't exercise/walked more. And I love eating, so it's a pretty simple choice for me.

Sedentary TDEE = 1600 calories. Active TDEE = up to 2400 calories (about 20k steps). It makes a big difference in how pleasant and happy my days are, believe me.

I don't think that was addressed to you but to the other poster indicating that they sometimes feel they have to spend 2-3 hours/day exercising to work off what they are.

It's a subtle distinction but I think a relevant one:

Person 1 plans what they want to eat, they have a craving or desire for something calorie dense, so they work out more that day or that week, cut calories a bit, so that they can fit in the food they want.

Person 2 eats a yummy calorie dense food that they weren't planning on eating, they consume more calories than normal, feel guilty or that they have to address the overage, so they work out more the next day to get back on track.

In reality, both people are probably in a net neutral situation for calories, but one mindset seems healthier to me.

I'm not sure. I don't think anyone would blink if a 'naturally slim' person decided to go for an extra walk after eating an extra piece of pie, you know? Or end up skipping dinner, which seems actually a worse option to me... but doesn't seem crazy when it's a 'naturally slim' person making that choice (as opposed to someone trying to lose weight).

For me, it's really just about choices. I don't mind going for a 30 minutes walk if it means I can eat two Thanks-a-Lots without having to worry about being over my calorie goal. I really don't think I have an eating disorder because of it. As I said above, my day is much more pleasant if I can walk for 2 hours and not have to worry too much about eating what I want - I love walking, and it relaxes me too... much more so than spending those 2 hours browsing the web or something.

Again, I don't think the comments and concerns were directed at you but the person who has expressed that they can never have these sorts of indulgences because they would have to make up for it in the gym, and referenced having a low calorie goal but when asked, never said what that goal is. Some red flags there. It's not just the comments about exercise but some of the other things that are giving people pause.

For what it's worth I too exercise in part so that I can eat more, and I realized that increasing my NEAT through staying active and on my feet has a significant impact on my total calorie allotment. I also prefer walking to more intense exercise.

• WinoGelato
    Options
    Back to the original question, I'm not one that has trigger foods or foods that I can't control myself around. There aren't specific foods that I can think of, but I think for me, indulgence comes in the form of events where I eat a little more of a lot of different things than I normally would. Last night for example I had book club so I had some appetizers, a big bowl of potato soup with bacon and cheese, a salad, an assortment of desserts, and wine. All of those things are things I consume individually pretty regularly, but when there's a party where the food is sitting out for grazing, or lots of choices, then I tend to eat more than usual. I also love "football food" like we put out at the Super Bowl, so even though I'm not loving the teams I'm excited about the food!

Oh and a good bread pudding. That is something I will always say yes to....
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Back to the original question, I'm not one that has trigger foods or foods that I can't control myself around. There aren't specific foods that I can think of, but I think for me, indulgence comes in the form of events where I eat a little more of a lot of different things than I normally would. Last night for example I had book club so I had some appetizers, a big bowl of potato soup with bacon and cheese, a salad, an assortment of desserts, and wine. All of those things are things I consume individually pretty regularly, but when there's a party where the food is sitting out for grazing, or lots of choices, then I tend to eat more than usual. I also love "football food" like we put out at the Super Bowl, so even though I'm not loving the teams I'm excited about the food!

Hell yeah!! Pass the wings!
  • WinoGelato
    Options

Hell yeah!! Pass the wings!

I go back and forth on whether I want wings or buffalo chicken dip at the super bowl. I love them both... but we always have so much food. I think I will make spinach queso for my dip, and then do wings and mini pizzas in the oven. My kids always request soft pretzels and toasted ravioli. We stopped going to big parties because I want to be able to watch the game without all the distractions of people that are just there for food and commercials and keep trying to make small talk with me... so now I feel compelled to turn out a good spread though even though it just may be 4 or 6 of us..,
  • banianupama01
    banianupama01 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    For me it would be Pani Puri......

I allow myself to have it once a week.

its an evening snack ..... so you never get it in resturants or stall in the day time.....(good ones atleast)

• cashidy
    cashidy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Burrito with queso blanco and refried beans...I can't even imaging how many calories on in it. Good thing the restaurant is far from me, cause it is only a monthly or weekly treat.
  • dwulet130
    dwulet130 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hard alcohol. Give me one drink and I could polish off the bottle.

So I drink wine insteady, maybe 3 times a week.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    active562 wrote: »
    That's why you should look at your weekly goal not just daily.

And it does at least 2 sittings!

Yeah that does not work for me. I have to be very strict, so daily is what I have to do.

Can I ask why it doesn't work for you? Medical reasons?

It doesn't work for me because if I go over one day, then the next day has to be that much less. Either that or I have to go do an extra 2 or 3 hours of cardio! So on my calorie budget, it's just too hard for me to restrict myself that much. Like I said, I expect that my calorie budget is far less than yours. If you are allowed 2000 calories a day ( or more), it's far easier to treat yourself and stay on a weekly target.

I'm on 1550 cals per day

Yeah more than me, but even if I had that much I'd never go for a slab of cheesecake or whatever, that was anywhere near 1000 calories. It's fine if others want to do that, and can manage it. But that does not work for me.

obviously you don't want people to help you as you're not answering any questions?

True this.
    That's why you should look at your weekly goal not just daily.

And it does at least 2 sittings!

Yeah that does not work for me. I have to be very strict, so daily is what I have to do.

Can I ask why it doesn't work for you? Medical reasons?

It doesn't work for me because if I go over one day, then the next day has to be that much less. Either that or I have to go do an extra 2 or 3 hours of cardio! So on my calorie budget, it's just too hard for me to restrict myself that much. Like I said, I expect that my calorie budget is far less than yours. If you are allowed 2000 calories a day ( or more), it's far easier to treat yourself and stay on a weekly target.

My calories are 1200 for a 1lb a week loss. If I want to eat out I move more.

I move every day for 5 miles or so that I can eat 1600/1700 calories.

Most days I save 100/200 of these so that I can eat take away, restaurant meal etc one day a week.

You can make things fit if you try rather than just saying you can't.

EDIT- Forgot to say my diary is open, feel free to look.

Point is, Fir ME, it is simply too is no
  • nycalling6192
    nycalling6192 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Probably Beef Pad Thai. Also, I LOVE ham with mayonnaise on a toasted egg bagel.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    brandi8484 wrote: »
    CHINESE BUFFET!

I had that last night... so much yum.
  • Beploveshomer
    Beploveshomer Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Chinese all you can eat buffet. Ate it last night, up a pound this morning...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    CHINESE BUFFET!

Man, I've yet to find a buffet that really blows my mind.
  • nycalling6192
    nycalling6192 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    CHINESE BUFFET!

Man, I've yet to find a buffet that really blows my mind.

I've only found one that has a great sushi bar and great Chinese food, but it's also a bit more then the average buffet. It's on Long Island over by the Source Mall.
  • nicruns
    nicruns Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    potato chips.....
    and
    burritos!
    AND
    (red wine)