What is something way too high in calories but you cant resist and how often do you have it?

Options

Replies

• AFGP11
    AFGP11 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I refuse to think this way about food anymore. If it fits (into my calories for the week) I sits (my face right into it and gobble it down).

I am planning on having a steak burrito and some margaritas today. It took a small sacrifice from a few other days this week, made easier by some dental work I had done that stopped me from eating my usual amount. I will love it all and feel no guilt and every last calorie will be logged. It took me several decades to finally decide that a good time out with loved ones really is worth it taking one or two more days to reach my goal. It's not a sprint for me this time, but a marathon.

In the past, I would never, ever, ever deviate from the plan and then one day I would get tired of it all (usually after I lost enough to feel more attractive again) and start eating ALL the things I missed. This is just what works for me though. I haven't had a craving in the 25 days I've been on this fitness journey. I have had 2 "cheat" days. I didn't lose ten pounds like a lot of people would want to do, but I did lose an inch off my waist and now my pants fit again. Plus I get burritos. Go me!
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Pizza. I'm just not happy with anything less than 4 slices. I will eat it until I bust. Luckily I am a pizza minimalist so its either just cheese or cheese and mushroom or cheese and spinach. I will plan my whole day around eating a ton of pizza or I will just blow my calories and not care. Luckily I don't do it often, but tonight is a pizza night and I can't tell you how excited I am about it.
  • BakaNekoChan
    BakaNekoChan Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    A bottle or two of wine and a huge bowl of pasta with garlic bread. My friend and I would do a night like this twice a week. It's since been cut back.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

You can make things fit if you try rather than just saying you can't.

EDIT- Forgot to say my diary is open, feel free to look.

I'm not saying "I can't". I am saying that your method is not how I choose to manage my calorie budget. I was not asking for advice, help, or otherwise. I only made what I thought was a humorous friendly comment, which I now am regretting since apparently that is seen as some sort of inner cry for help here. Good grief.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    feeling like you have to punish yourself for having a splurge is a sign of potential disordered eating...

LOL. You missed the point entirely.

not missing the point...if you feel like you need to work out an extra 2hours to burn off the calories from your Dorito "splurge" (in your own words) - then your relationship with food should be addressed

how many dorito's did you eat that you felt that way? any entire bag or a single serving?

IMHO, anyone who has to adhere so strictly to an eating plan that you can even fit in some fun/splurge foods - then it should be addressed

Really, no.

I exercise so I can eat more. End of the story. I'm not doing it to punish myself or burn off that piece of cheesecake. I actually enjoy it more than sitting in front of the TV for 2 hours... I just could never even fit in a 100 calorie treat if I didn't exercise/walked more. And I love eating, so it's a pretty simple choice for me.

Sedentary TDEE = 1600 calories. Active TDEE = up to 2400 calories (about 20k steps). It makes a big difference in how pleasant and happy my days are, believe me.

I don't think that was addressed to you but to the other poster indicating that they sometimes feel they have to spend 2-3 hours/day exercising to work off what they are.

It's a subtle distinction but I think a relevant one:

Person 1 plans what they want to eat, they have a craving or desire for something calorie dense, so they work out more that day or that week, cut calories a bit, so that they can fit in the food they want.

Person 2 eats a yummy calorie dense food that they weren't planning on eating, they consume more calories than normal, feel guilty or that they have to address the overage, so they work out more the next day to get back on track.

In reality, both people are probably in a net neutral situation for calories, but one mindset seems healthier to me.

I'm just not sure I agree. It's like the two students that have a project due on Friday. One plans ahead and works in small chunks all week. One waits until the last minute and pulls an all nighter on Thursday. Both spent the same 6 hours, total, and both get an A on the project. Is one student "healthier" than the other? Not really. It's just a difference in personality. Some people are organized, planner types. Some aren't. Either personality type could develop an eating disorder.

I agree that feelings of guilt are kind of a red flag, but the actions themselves are equal, IMO, and guilt can just as easily be a motivation for the planner personality type, too.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    perception..and you weren't talking about cheesecake...you were talking about a splurge on doritos...but obviously - we are just going to continue agreeing to disagree...

I absolutely WAS referring to the cheesecake. I can promise you that you won't work off a big ol slab of cheesecake with a few miles on the bike. (And yes, 25 miles is a few, for me. I do a lot of long distance riding.) It would take 2 or 3 hours. THAT was what I was referring to. And once again, how YOU choose to manage your weight loss is really up to you. If you need help, if what you are doing is not working, then please ask for advice.

For goodness sakes, find some other needy poster that is actually here asking for help. I did not ask for it, don't need it, and will not respond further in this thread that a couple of folks have seen fit to hijack.

Carry on about your irresistible high calorie treats now. :)
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    long distance rider/runner/swimmer here - I know exactly how long I can ride/run/swim to burn off calories

I'm not looking to lose weight - I'm focusing on performance and recomp
  • domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Chocolate, pizza, mcdonalds, fries, chocolate cake, white bread with REAL butter. Hard to answer the 'how often question' lol. As previously mentioned, I can incorporate these foods into my diet with careful planning. If I do go over my daily calories I can eat a bit less calories for the next couple of days, and still stay on track with weight loss goals. Foods that I can't stop eating are Nutella and peanut butter with added sugar/salt so I rarely buy these. Natural peanut butter which is just ground peanuts is so much healthier for you and I don't binge/can resist this.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    feeling like you have to punish yourself for having a splurge is a sign of potential disordered eating...

LOL. You missed the point entirely.

not missing the point...if you feel like you need to work out an extra 2hours to burn off the calories from your Dorito "splurge" (in your own words) - then your relationship with food should be addressed

how many dorito's did you eat that you felt that way? any entire bag or a single serving?

IMHO, anyone who has to adhere so strictly to an eating plan that you can even fit in some fun/splurge foods - then it should be addressed

Really, no.

I exercise so I can eat more. End of the story. I'm not doing it to punish myself or burn off that piece of cheesecake. I actually enjoy it more than sitting in front of the TV for 2 hours... I just could never even fit in a 100 calorie treat if I didn't exercise/walked more. And I love eating, so it's a pretty simple choice for me.

Sedentary TDEE = 1600 calories. Active TDEE = up to 2400 calories (about 20k steps). It makes a big difference in how pleasant and happy my days are, believe me.

I don't think that was addressed to you but to the other poster indicating that they sometimes feel they have to spend 2-3 hours/day exercising to work off what they are.

It's a subtle distinction but I think a relevant one:

Person 1 plans what they want to eat, they have a craving or desire for something calorie dense, so they work out more that day or that week, cut calories a bit, so that they can fit in the food they want.

Person 2 eats a yummy calorie dense food that they weren't planning on eating, they consume more calories than normal, feel guilty or that they have to address the overage, so they work out more the next day to get back on track.

In reality, both people are probably in a net neutral situation for calories, but one mindset seems healthier to me.

I'm just not sure I agree. It's like the two students that have a project due on Friday. One plans ahead and works in small chunks all week. One waits until the last minute and pulls an all nighter on Thursday. Both spent the same 6 hours, total, and both get an A on the project. Is one student "healthier" than the other? Not really. It's just a difference in personality. Some people are organized, planner types. Some aren't. Either personality type could develop an eating disorder.

I agree that feelings of guilt are kind of a red flag, but the actions themselves are equal, IMO, and guilt can just as easily be a motivation for the planner personality type, too.

Maybe. Like I said, it's a very subtle distinction and I would imagine that there can be healthy mindsets in both personality types and unhealthy mindsets in both personality types. My hairs on the back of my neck just tend to go up when someone says they have to work out like a fiend the next day to make up for eating too many calories the day before. Maybe it's my Catholic upbringing...
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    It was a revelation (though I knew, deep down in my heart that it was huge) to get a take out menu in the mailbox from the Chinese food chain here in Canada called Mandarin. Like a sucker, I looked at my favourite dishes - literally HUNDREDS of calories. I havent had Chinese food in over a year because of this, even though it is one of my favourite foods. I just love it so much that I could easily eat thousands of calories of the stuff. So I choose not to indulge until I reach my goal weight, a few more pounds away. I have managed my cravings all this time by eating some frozen asian themed entrees that have proved to be pretty good, not as good as the good stuff, but enough to prevent me from ordering take out and then binging with Netfliks on a Saturday night!!
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Bread pudding was mentioned and I was summoned lol. My wife made it from scratch, quite a bit of work, a few weeks back. That was....sublime :)
  • EllaLeahB
    EllaLeahB Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Häagen-Dazs chocolate peanut butter ice cream :'(
  • angelbabe218
    angelbabe218 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Pretty much any kind of carbs for me, I usually can't resist. Especially if it's sweet. I love breads, pasta, cakes, all that. Ugh, yum!
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I have had 3/4 of a large Papa Murphy's pizza every week since I started logging. That is probably my largest regular splurge, though home cooked sauerbraten with potato dumplings gets me over 1000 calories in one meal if I don't watch my portions.

The only thing I've stopped eating is food that isn't that good. I ate nothing but a big slice of pumpkin pie with whipped cream for Christmas dinner because the rest of the store bought buffet didn't look worthy of my taste buds.
  • 73Lupito
    73Lupito Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Cylphin60 wrote: »
    active562 wrote: »
    I can't think of anything that I can't fit into my weekly calories... even this bad boy if I plan well enough...
    v4naqhhlwf18.jpg
    I can't think of anything that I can't fit into my weekly calories... even this bad boy if I plan well enough...
    v4naqhhlwf18.jpg

See, that means I don't get to eat ANYTHING the rest of the day. That looks like it is at least 1000 calories. No can do.

Mine has about 2000 calories and I still manage to fit it in my weekly calories. Its totally doable.wah2bymnpozr.jpg
    active562 wrote: »
    v4naqhhlwf18.jpg
    v4naqhhlwf18.jpg

See, that means I don't get to eat ANYTHING the rest of the day. That looks like it is at least 1000 calories. No can do.

Mine has about 2000 calories and I still manage to fit it in my weekly calories. Its totally doable.wah2bymnpozr.jpg

I would dive off the roof of my house face first into that thing.... :#

• 73Lupito
    73Lupito Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Pizza
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    EllaLeahB wrote: »
    Häagen-Dazs chocolate peanut butter ice cream :'(

I honestly almost never eat the good ice cream stuff anymore (you know, the 300+ calories a serving kind) because ice cream is something I absolutely don't enjoy as much in small quantities :(
  • unicornumame
    unicornumame Posts: 16 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I live in TexMex heaven. I can walk to my favorite place. Chips, guac, margaritas and some fajitas...oh my. Sodium for dayyyyyyyys. I might indulge once a month with my best friend...but honestly the fat/carb/sodium/tequila hangover is good impetus to not indulge too often.
  • rcrough
    rcrough Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Wine......... And not often enough, :)
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter has entirely too many calories by volume. So naturally I have 45-60 grams every morning- if you can resist Buff Bakes peanut/almond butters you are better than me man ;) lol

Now the things I can't control myself around (I'm looking at you pumpkin spice oreos) I just don't eat or buy unless I'm ready to be eleventy billion calories over maintenance that week. So I'm working on never, reality being that I calorically lose my damn mind every few months.